Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 101
  • dink1
    finally caught up!
    Hi Guys,

Caught up at last!

Angelnikki - sorry to hear about your plight dentists are my nemisis! hope you are feeling a little better today hun
    Shezza 0 sorry to hear you had vertigo are you on the mend yet?
    Turbo5019 - well done on your potatoes and veg from the garden, it makes you feel very clever when you pick and cook them doesnt it?
    Tesco shopper - I totally understand you not having time to read all the posts but hope your month is still going ok
    JayJay14 - Great News on your job!!!!! well done and good luck.
    Sav3r - sorry to hear about your ds2, mine is a bit of a disaster area too! always "in the wars" and we spend half our time at the local A&E!

hope every one has a great day
    Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 16th Jul 08, 7:33 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Morning all.
    Today WILL be a NSD lol .
    Raining here so not much planned.
    Beef and bean enchiladas for tea, just need to be heated up as made them ages ago. Soup and pizza for lunch- same as enchiladas.
    Hugs to everyone that needs them.
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 16th Jul 08, 7:35 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya all,
    Been a bit low lately so not been on, went to mr m,yesterday, spent £12.38 and lidl's spent £12.94, will update sig now,good luck all xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 16th Jul 08, 7:44 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hiya all,
    Been a bit low lately so not been on, went to mr m,yesterday, spent £12.38 and lidl's spent £12.94, will update sig now,good luck all xx
    Originally posted by Herewegoagain
    Aww, hope you are feeling better soon
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 16th Jul 08, 8:00 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    Hiya all,
    Originally posted by Herewegoagain
    hope youf feeling a bit brighter,have missed chatting to you,pm me if ever you need an ear to bend etc,xxx
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300spends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,
    • perrywinkle
    • By perrywinkle 16th Jul 08, 8:04 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    perrywinkle
    Morning all

Spent 1.48 at Lidl yesterday so have updated signature. Didn’t make the cucumber lemonade yesterday as planned (might make today) but did make lemon and lime marmalade, strawberry muffins (with some of the slightly damaged strawberries from the garden) and yoghurt cakes which rikki had posted and were so easy just measured using the empty yoghurt pot and used up the yoghurt which was reaching its use by date.
    Might make some more strawberry jam today if there’s enough in the garden as the last batch looks so good and I still have some jam sugar.
    Not planning going to the shops today so should be a NSD. Will probably eat out tomorrow lunchtime for a treat as the kids are on holiday and we're going to see Lazy town at the theatre but this won’t come out of the grocery challenge.
    Just remembered need to make some twinks hobnobs as well as the kids love them and there’s only a few left so I’d better get going – so much to do – so little time.

Herewegoagain - special hello to you - hope you have a good day and feel happier soon.

Have a good day
    Perrywinkle
  • newmoneysaver
    Morning everyone - I've just managed to catch up , I suppose I should really start work soon. I've got a MS sandwich shop today, so free lunch and then straight to the gym after work and then home for HM Shep pie from the freezer - so today should be a NSD! Yey!
    • mouche
    • By mouche 16th Jul 08, 8:30 AM
    • 890 Posts
    • 4,382 Thanks
    mouche
    Hullo all...just checking in though nothing to report. Hugs to all who need them. Yesterday I succumbed to chocolate covered ginger at the railway station. This comes out of my lunch money so still an NSD on GC front. In fact apart from that blip, felt quite virtuous yesterday - breakfast was juice and toast with HM jam (well my neighbour made it at home). Lunch was HM salmon quiche and cup-a-soup. Had a HM lemon muffin with my afternoon cuppa. Then leftovers from yesterday's takeaway for dinner. In the middle I helped a friend who's struggling with his PhD thesis to get his thoughts in order, helped OH prepare for his performance review at work, and worked out for 50 mins using the Wii Fit. Not to mention a full and busy day at work. I know it's not as much as many of you achieve in a day but it's a lot for me and I feel quite pleased with myself.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £131,290.03 (05/11/2018) MFW target for 2018: £2,406.04/ £3,000
    2017 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £29/£300 (November) NSDs: 2/15 (November)
    Lose 3st 9lb: 0/3st 9lb
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 16th Jul 08, 8:36 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,349 Thanks
    newlywed
    I'm fed up. I didn't do too badly last month with money but this month, despite intending to keep good track of receipts etc, it seems to have gone completely pear shaped

Now I only have £10 left for the month. That should be fine but OH's diet includes £30 worth of apples a month, and his lunches alone cost £70. So that's £100 out of a £300 budget (and that's with no breakfast, evening meal, or my lunches - let alone the step kids lunches and things like loo roll and washing up liquid )

And yet, at the end of the month when I HAVE to be careful with the cash, I seem to be able to do it. Just all the rest of the month I seem to have no willpower, or determination

I'm on a DMP so with petrol having gone up there isn't any room in my budget for overspending and it's my prescriptions, haircuts, etc that get missed so that we can eat and get to work

I keep planning to try cash only, but then get to the till and don't have enough so use my debit card.

I keep all my receipts but by week 3 I'm too scared to add them all up And know I have no money left so must have spent loads too much.

Anyone go any extra tips or a big kick up the bum for me???
    Last edited by newlywed; 16-07-2008 at 8:39 AM.

DMP support thread (member #32)

• KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 16th Jul 08, 8:41 AM
    • 4,639 Posts
    • 35,504 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY

GOOD MORNING will be back soon just thought I'd sign in
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• jackk
    Hi all, Just a quick question, ive sourced a place fairly localy where i can buy, 1/2 a lamb @ £35 - £40 or a whole lamb @ £70 - £80, is that a good price??

I'm a townie lmao, so not even sure what a lamb consists of ie all the different bits to compare prices from the supermarket/butchers.

Jackie x
  • busy mum
    Good Morning all, Big smiles to all of those who are feeling a bit down today.

I have just found a box of creamed coconut sachets in my cupboard and I have 2 questions...

1, Can I use this as it was out of date Feb 08?

2, If so, what do I do with it, as recipe on back of packet sounds awful.

Thanks
    JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50

WEEK 2 = £60.83
    Week 3 £72.05
  • MissPin
    I had a triumph in the kitchen today.

For dinner today I made from scratch toad in the hole. Now I know there are some excellent cooks on here but I'm not one of them - I'm worse than a beginner really! The family really enjoyed it and DH has said that it tasted much better than his dad's!
    Originally posted by jediteacher

Is the recipe already up? I have been thinking all week about making toad in the hole and don't have a recipe for it.

Have to say I am getting pretty hooked on NOT spending money! The idea of coming in at the end of the month under budget is so appealing! Having said that I still have a good 10 days to go and about £34.00 left so you never know! But to everyone who has joined in the last few days - it is SO worth it! Everyone is really supportive and helpful and makes you WANT to do it!

Happy Wednedsay everyone
    GC July £110/£97.21 already spent:rolleyes:

GC August £100/£87.98 already spent
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 16th Jul 08, 9:39 AM
    • 4,639 Posts
    • 35,504 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good morning all

just had brekkie will stay in today and have an NSD today as I seem to have everything in at the moment

may bake as we have no twinks and no iced buns which we do like

see ya soon
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• nellis10
    • By nellis10 16th Jul 08, 9:48 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    nellis10
    Am well into Week 3 for this month and not shopped yet...dragging it out as long as possible, but I do need to top up with bread and milk at least today! Here's hoping for some good savings this month!!
    Nat
    Goals:
    Baby Step 1 = £1000 EF
    Baby Step 2= Debt Free by Apr 2017
    Baby Step 3 = Full EF
    Mortgage Free by 2023!!
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 16th Jul 08, 9:50 AM
    • 3,119 Posts
    • 29,513 Thanks
    sashanut
    Hi all

Had a little farm shop spend on Mon - £6 something added to sig. Sent DH so he stuck to the list, trouble is he gets all the rotten-looking F&V so not much saving really! Has a NSD yesterday but will soon be forced out to the shops, suffering withdrawal symptoms at the moment. I must motivate myself to get some stuff listed on eBay/update my website/ etc feel overwhelmed at the mo. All our 3 surviving parents are in hospital as of yesterday - different ones, of course, one of them 250 miles away..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 16th Jul 08, 9:57 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hi all

Had a little farm shop spend on Mon - £6 something added to sig. Sent DH so he stuck to the list, trouble is he gets all the rotten-looking F&V so not much saving really! Has a NSD yesterday but will soon be forced out to the shops, suffering withdrawal symptoms at the moment. I must motivate myself to get some stuff listed on eBay/update my website/ etc feel overwhelmed at the mo. All our 3 surviving parents are in hospital as of yesterday - different ones, of course, one of them 250 miles away..
    Originally posted by sashanut
    Oh dear I hope your family all get well soon. My mum was in hospital a while back and it was hard being far away. She is on the mend though and hopefully will come on hols with us x
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 16th Jul 08, 10:06 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Is the recipe already up? I have been thinking all week about making toad in the hole and don't have a recipe for it.

Have to say I am getting pretty hooked on NOT spending money! The idea of coming in at the end of the month under budget is so appealing! Having said that I still have a good 10 days to go and about £34.00 left so you never know! But to everyone who has joined in the last few days - it is SO worth it! Everyone is really supportive and helpful and makes you WANT to do it!

Happy Wednedsay everyone
    Originally posted by MissPin
    Toad in the Hole

100g plain flour
    2 large eggs
    150ml each pint of milk and water mixed
    4 tbsp vegetable oil (or good ol lard lol)
    8 good quality thick pork sausages (I often use cumberland or sometimes nice local beef ones)
    2 onions peeled and sliced
    450ml gravy

Put flour in a bowl with 1/2 tsp salt and make a well in the centre- break eggs into the well. Gradually whisk the mixture until smooth.
    Preheat oven, 220/fan 200/gas 7.
    Use 1 tbsp of oil to fry the sausages and then drain them.
    Put remaining oil in roasting tin and heat for 4-5 mins in oven.
    Put sausages in the tin and pour the batter over.
    Bake for approx 35 min until risen and golden.
    Fry the onions until soft and then add to gravy.
    Pour gravy over as required to serve.

I often use a packet batter mix (the next one I am going to try is the Tesco value one which was 9p!). If making own batter apparently sparkling water can make it more airy!
    This is adapted from an Asda mag recipe.
    Funnliy enough I picked up my recipe book to find it fell open at the Toad in the Hole page!!!!
    Tesco have the value batter mix at 9p per pack and the McDougalls Puff Pastry mix at 7p per pack! the batter mix needs an egg and water so still quite cheap and the pastry one just needs water (saves the faff normally involved in making puff pastry- will report on how they taste once tried them).
    PS Anyone got a recipe for tomato and red pepper soup please ?
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 16-07-2008 at 10:08 AM.
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 16th Jul 08, 10:10 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    morning folks,

meant to post last night but felt cruddie so thought i'd rest and watch some trash telly instead.

not spent anything since sunday so yippeeeeeee but you never know when fate will send you shopping.

OH and i have both managed to catch colds, (or Man Flu in his case) so i might have to get some more tissues, the rate he goes thro them you'd think no-one had ever had a cold before

was planning mac & cheese for dinner but haven't taken the cheese block out of the freezer, could i grate it from frozen??

hi to all the newbies and hugs to all who need them

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 16th Jul 08, 10:15 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    I'm on a DMP so with petrol having gone up there isn't any room in my budget for overspending and it's my prescriptions, haircuts, etc that get missed so that we can eat and get to work
    Originally posted by newlywed
    I know what you mean, I've had this bad cold and chest thing now for over 2 weeks because I have put off going to the doctors as I know he will give me a prescription (I usually end up with about 3 items - antibods, steroids & they usually throw in something else too... ) so I have just been staying in and trying to get everything under control myself, which has taken ages and is not really good for me, but at £21 for 3 prescriptions, what do you do?
    I think it's disgusting really that you can't even afford to be ill now.

Mind, I'm annoyed with myself as I let it get me down and that's when we had KFC - which could have been £11 towards my scripts, so it's my own fault in a way, but i think it's a really sad state of affairs when you feel guilty for having one mishap eh!

Pink Princess, Thanks for the up on MrS's grapes - We love grapes in our house and I will have to go have a look - I got a really good deal in Lidl's the other day as black grapes were only 65p per kilo so I got too big bags (gone in no time ) not sure if they're still doing it, but might be worth a look.
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

80Posts Today

2,335Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin