Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 94
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 14th Jul 08, 12:50 PM
    • 1,226 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    Naomim
    Hi All,

I'm a bit late signing up this month! I have kept my receipts so far and spent 117. out of 220. So I have two weeks to go and 100 to spend. I think it should be easy enough as I have a freezer full of stuff.

Naomi x
    CC's Nov16 18,609.97 / Jun17 21032.03 Overdraft 06/17 4577.44 07/17 4505.35
    Aiming for a debt free date: April 2024
    2 savings club #26 lost count but still collecting!
    Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 14th Jul 08, 1:06 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Pin Money
    Yes, any money I save by using money off coupons, or vouchers I get from doing surveys or free clicks, or nectar/tesco points I actually save and transfer to a savings account at the end of the month.
    Originally posted by savingpennies

I also have a Pin Money challenge and any money I save by getting BOGOFs or any vouchers or sale items I get I put the money I would have spent without the offers into a special purse, then at the end of each month into my cash ISA. I have managed to save over 100 since the beginning of the year by doing this - not a huge sum but nicer to have it in the bank than frittered away somewhere! I can't always put the whole amount 'saved ' away - but I try to say to myself when confronted with a 'bargain' you can only have it if you are prepared to put the money saved in the PMS fund! It works nearly as well as Martin's mantra! There used to be a PMS thread, but haven't seen any posts to it since the beginning of the year. Maybe we should resurrect it!

I went into town this morning to pay the 50 I won on the premium bonds into my ISA (yippee- two lots of tax-free savings!) I know Premium Bonds aren't reckoned to give a great return , but it's a great thrill when you do win - I just wanted a few extra noughts on the end !

Anyway, went into Waitrose to buy the coleslaw my DH likes best for tea tonight with the chicken from yesterday and a jacket potato - it cost 1.29. I also went into our local pound shop to buy the body lotion I like best and which I can't get any where else and spent another 1. So 2.29 altogether - have updated sig.

Sun has disappeared after a lovely morning , so going to tackle 'spring cleaning' and re-organising my big book case ( it measures 8ft long by 6ft high). Talk about a bus man's holiday (I am a Librarian!)

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.

Moniker
    • wendywitch
    • By wendywitch 14th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 15,029 Thanks
    wendywitch
    Haven't been on for a few days what with birthdays and family life its been a nightmare here.
    Totally blown any budget I might have had but have had two lovely meals out (my birthday (32) and my mum's 70th) plus her presents and lots of whoopie shopping
    so I plan to start afresh this week :rolleyes:
    I have plenty planned for the next few weeks but just can't get motivated :confused: .
    I've just phoned some gardening firm to get a quote for sorting my garden out, it's totally over grown and I need to get it sorted before the Housing Association have a moan. I can guess the quote will be huge but I just couldn't do it myself.
    I have housework and decorating to do as well as running around taking my dad to his medical appointments.
    I hope I feel more motivated after a cup of coffee and a slice of coconut and jam sponge
    • mama67
    • By mama67 14th Jul 08, 1:29 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    I would say that was a turnip.
    Originally posted by busy mum
    It sounds like a fennel to me does it smell like liquorice/anniseed? if so fennel it is.
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • annelouise
    Have a batch of Twinks in and then we are off to soft play with 2 friends.

HM bread proving.Will make rolls this time.

Taken Baked Bean Chili out of freezer.

Taking 4 bottles of water with me...very MSE

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 14th Jul 08, 2:19 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    I've just phoned some gardening firm to get a quote for sorting my garden out, it's totally over grown and I need to get it sorted before the Housing Association have a moan. I can guess the quote will be huge but I just couldn't do it myself.
    I have housework and decorating to do as well as running around taking my dad to his medical appointments.
    I hope I feel more motivated after a cup of coffee and a slice of coconut and jam sponge
    Originally posted by wendywitch
    Hi WendyWitch good luck with getting motivated - try starting on something small, that usually helps me, then when I see I've accomplished that, I try something else - ALWAYS have to build up to the pile of washing & ironing (hopefully run out of time by then... )

On the gardening front - good idea to get the firm round to give you ideas and a quote, but speak to some of the general handymen who advertise in shop windows and papers too - often much cheaper but you will know what you want first and the most you will have to pay. Better still if you can get a recommendation or someone you know to do it for you - loads of people looking for extra cash at the mo so worth asking about?
    LBM April 2013 - 29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC 783.75
    Barclaycard CC 1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC 1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD 1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - 95.00 budget / spend -
  • nessquic80
    Not been on for a while but when i do i always save money been ringing VM inbetween cooking the chilli and shepherds pie just saved myself 126 for the year, im so pleased with myself . While oven is on i think im gonna knock up some twinks, yeah think i will. GC doing ok not to stressed about the budget but the cost of stuff, it's stupid. Last week when i was in tesco's there was a ambulance crew there attending to a customer, from looking at her she must have felt faint cus she was as white as a sheet,not surprising she felt faint with the price of food, joking aside....hope she was ok!!
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!

• belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 14th Jul 08, 3:03 PM
    • 7,769 Posts
    • 15,645 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Just popping in to declare another spend of £54.09 making a total spend to date of £99.98. Quite a chunk out of my £130 budget but I want to make some changes to my diet - more fresh and raw etc - and alas this costs money. They also had nice olive oil on offer so I stocked up. Will have to stick to just fruit and veg the rest of the month Hope you're all doing okay too...

• sashanut
    • By sashanut 14th Jul 08, 3:11 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 30,692 Thanks
    sashanut
    [quote=nessquic80;12490105]Not been on for a while but when i do i always save money been ringing VM inbetween cooking the chilli and shepherds pie just saved myself 126 for the year, im so pleased with myself quote]

Can I ask how you saved the money with VM please? I keep nagging DH to phone them but he is dragging his feet....meanwhile it is costing us 130 p/m
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : 5500 OD GONE, 2000 OD - GONE 93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
  • nessquic80
    [quote=sashanut;12490821]
    Not been on for a while but when i do i always save money been ringing VM inbetween cooking the chilli and shepherds pie just saved myself 126 for the year, im so pleased with myself quote]

Can I ask how you saved the money with VM please? I keep nagging DH to phone them but he is dragging his feet....meanwhile it is costing us 130 p/m
    Originally posted by nessquic80
    OMG that is alot of money...i dont have sports or movies but you have to ring, if you go to the telephones board and look on the threads there ,as im sure ill get told off for going off topic
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!

• amethystcash
    • By amethystcash 14th Jul 08, 3:34 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 763 Thanks
    amethystcash
    Sent OH out to get groceries for me with budget of 30 expecting him to come back having spent more like 70 but no give him credit - 32. He even managed to buy supermarket brand chocolate that he normally refuses to get. I think me explaining that it wasn't just about penny pinching and being mean about money and that it was more to do with the challenge, he began to see it a bit more positively. So here's hoping with us both working together we'll manage the challenge. Not sure if I mentioned anywhere before but trying to cut down weekly shop from 130 to 70.
    MFW Challenge (Tgt Date Nov 07): ACHIEVED FEB 07!
    Mthly Savings (Tgt 60% of Inc): Average 41.67% (but we have just paid for a new kitchen!)
    Savings Goal 500k (Target Date 50th B'Day Nov 17): 30.41%
    • susan946
    • By susan946 14th Jul 08, 3:35 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    susan946
    At last a sunny day!!! It makes you feel so much better. We went out to a French equivalent of a car boot sale this morning and I was pleased to get a small table for 10 euros - about 8 which I can sand down and paint. Now if this better weather keeps up I should get it done quite quickly!!!

I posted a few days back that I'd made jammy buns and gorgot to post the recipe. So, a bit late but.........

Jammy Buns

3oz butter or margerine
    8oz self raising flour
    a pinch of salt
    4ozr sugar

mixed spice (optional)
    3-4 tablespoons milk
    jam

Rub the fat into the sieved flour and salt. Stir in the spice and sugar. Make a well in the centre and pour in 3 tablespoons milk and gradually stir in the dry ingredients adding more milk if necessary to give a stiff dough. Turn out onto a floured board and form into a roll. Cut off pieces .75 inch thick. Flatten and put o drop of jam on each. Work each into a ball so that the jam is completely sealed in the middle. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes at 200 degrees Centigrade. Cool on a wire tray. Alternatively the dough can be made in a food processor. Zizz the fat, flour, salt, spice and sugar until it reaches the breadcrumb stage, then add the milk and zizz until it forms a ball. Turn out onto a floured board and continue as above.
    Being fat free these are better eaten fresh, but they freeze well and can be thawed as needed.

Rather than sprinkling the tops of the buns with sugar, granny used to make a glaze with caster sugar and water but this is too sweet for my taste, so I prefer either to leave them plain or to sprinkle sugar on them for texture.
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 14th Jul 08, 4:06 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    hello everybody aint been around the last few days had 4 guests for the weekend so as you can imagine its been heckic to put it mildly ive gone over budget but has my new months starts on saturday for me so i hope wont do to bad (i hope) off to update hope your doing better then me xxx
    Still searching .....
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 14th Jul 08, 4:08 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    On a break
    Well have been slaving away since I last posted and the bookcase looks more of a mess than ever - still I suppose you have to make a mess before you can start to clean up!

I meant to say last time that I made the Impossible Coconut Pie recipe for which was on here a few weeks ago (sorry can't remember who posted it) and OMG it is wonderful! I had difficulty finding a big enough tin to cook it in as it does need to be quite deep - but I had a large fluted flan tin in to which I placed a 10" round cake tin liner (one of a pack I bought ages ago from Lakeland but haven't got round to using!). It rose really well and we had it warm on Friday with cream, and then cold yesterday with raspberries and cream. There's enough for us again tonight too. Although it has a lot of eggs (4) it would easily serve 6 -8 people so not too extravagent, and it's really easy to make.

Here's the recipe again in case any one is interested:

Impossible Coconut Pie
    4 eggs
    6oz caster sugar
    2oz butter softened
    3oz plain flour sifted
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp vanilla essence
    3/4 pt milk (any sort)
    4 oz dessicated coconut

Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F gas 3-. Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat or whisk until everything is combined. Pour into a deep greased/lined ovenproof dish. (It will be very runny). Bake for 30 mins or until puffed up and golden. Allow to cool for 5-10 mins before cutting into wedges and serving (pie will deflate a bit ). Serve hot or cold with cream or ice cream.

It's not too sweet and it separates into layers - a thin pastry-like crust (mine was a bit more like batter!) and a custard middle and crunchy coconut topping. Seriously delish and not for those of you trying to lose weight!

Enjoy!

Moniker
    • jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 14th Jul 08, 4:10 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    Just got back from Aldi and spent 6.58 on mainly fruit and veg. Then popped into Asda and spend another 6.76 on milk and other essentials. Will do main shop tomorrow but can only spend 20 as this is all I have.

Will have coupons and this should help.
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 14th Jul 08, 4:53 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    1. Hope you enjoyed your first day JayJay..did you remember to take your new pencil case & milk money

2. MrsMc is hoping to be home later this week, so watch this space Hope you find the Potio Appotment in relatively good order---:rolleyes: do they have slugs in Germany?

3. You could try returning the cleaning stuff to the store Hev, if you've kept the receipt--worth a go if you don't have the receipt come to that, particularly if its an own label product.

4. My parents have suffered diabetes in various forms--Dad was insulin-dependant & Mum is tablet+diet--& quickly realised that if suffering with a cold etc, it would affect their sugar levels. Mum also has to be careful with pastry of all things; if she has a meat pie, her level is increased quite a bit the following day, so it's not just about added sugar....sorry if that came across as a bit 'preachy', but it took Mum a while to realise what does have 'cause & effect'

5. THANKS A LOT! You could have put a warning on the iced buns, to let me know just how much of a mess I was getting in to In the end I had a splodge of dough on me baking tray, cutting off smaller blobs with a knife to make the buns....Y'know those slap-stick clowns that throw wallpaper paste over each other? That was me with the flour yesterday

6. I'm struggling with various flapjack recipes----I've tried many, but just can't seem to get it to cut into usable portions. The one I made yesterday is lovely taste & consistancy, but so so crumbly; others have been very dry & crumbly.....any :confused: as to what I'm doing wrong? I know my cooker is a law unto itself even tho it's been checked many times, so maybe I am justified in blaming my oven My sponges used to be wonderful, but now are more use as stepping stones

7. Have a look-see at the Store Cupboard Challenge...highly recommend running both so as to get maximum benefit from any grocery shopping.

8. Any idea what the speshis are in MrM this week? I've only been to me muvva's today--not even got a paper--& may well be passing a morrie sometime this week.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 14th Jul 08, 4:57 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Just back from Mr T, spent 30.50 and have updated signature.

Country Life Butter still on 2 for 1.60
    Onken Biopot on 3 for 2
    Supercook stuff mostly sold out, got a couple of things, however i think someone else mentioned this too, some of the Dr Oetker stuff is going through at the reduced supercook prices Got jelly diamonds and lemon/orange slices at 12p each, sugar strands/sugar flowers 9p each. May make some fairy cakes later.
    Grr, just noticed my 4 for 2 didnt work on veg because the guy at checkout put my peppers through as orange rather than red. Orange peppers arent part of the offer:rolleyes: I would have saved 1.04 if he had put them through right, wonder if this is a ploy on tescos behalf?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 14th Jul 08, 5:00 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    I meant to say last time that I made the Impossible Coconut Pie recipe for which was on here a few weeks ago (sorry can't remember who posted it) and OMG it is wonderful!
    Originally posted by Moniker
    That was sashanut's recipe she posted in the april challenge. Sounds really yummy, still need to find a tin to make it in...

The jammy buns sound delish too susan946 thanks for the recipe

BigMummaF my oven is pants too - normally takes at least half an hour to cook fairy cakes, and when I try to cook salmon portions after 30 mins at gas 9 they're still raw :confused: . I always end up using the microwave to finish it off. So now most of my meals are done on the hob instead.

Dinner tonight was yummy tuna potato salad cost per portion - 37p

I've got a MrT delivery booked for tomorrow. I think it's gonna come to about £80.

Offers at the mo:

Utterly Butterly 500g 2 for £1.50 (ends 29th)

Weetabix 24 pack 2 for £2 (ends tomorrow)

Linda McCartney 6 Sausages half price 84p (ends 22nd)

Peaches/ cherries/ strawberries/ plums all half price

Organic chicken thighs 400g/ organic chicken drumsticks 500g 2 for £5

Hovis White bread mix 30p/ Hovis Granary bread mix 35p

McDougalls Puff Pastry Mix 7p

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 14-07-2008 at 5:17 PM.
    • mumofjusttwo
    • By mumofjusttwo 14th Jul 08, 5:07 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 40,789 Thanks
    mumofjusttwo
    Just back from Mr T, spent 30.50 and have updated signature.

Country Life Butter still on 2 for 1.60
    Onken Biopot on 3 for 2
    Supercook stuff mostly sold out, got a couple of things, however i think someone else mentioned this too, some of the Dr Oetker stuff is going through at the reduced supercook prices Got jelly diamonds and lemon/orange slices at 12p each, sugar strands/sugar flowers 9p each. May make some fairy cakes later.
    Grr, just noticed my 4 for 2 didnt work on veg because the guy at checkout put my peppers through as orange rather than red. Orange peppers arent part of the offer:rolleyes: I would have saved 1.04 if he had put them through right, wonder if this is a ploy on tescos behalf?
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos

G&B phone them up and tell them then they should give you Double the difference refund.
    Have to say I have stocked up on supercook stuff (very handy for the summer hols) and now also have some puff pastry mix and some lemon curd. All I need know is some recipes
    January Grocery 11/374
  • jackk
    [quote=sashanut;12490821]
    Not been on for a while but when i do i always save money been ringing VM inbetween cooking the chilli and shepherds pie just saved myself £126 for the year, im so pleased with myself quote]

Can I ask how you saved the money with VM please? I keep nagging DH to phone them but he is dragging his feet....meanwhile it is costing us £130 p/m
    Originally posted by nessquic80

Wow £130 is alot , we are with VM and have broadband, phone (free local and national calls), TV all channels (we have the box in the lounge that you can stop, rewind, record etc, can't remember what it's called + an extra normal box in our bedroom), all the sky movie channels and sky the sports channels, and we pay £85 per month + any calls that don't fall into the national or local catagory, so normaly max £90 per month.

Jackie x
    Last edited by jackk; 14-07-2008 at 5:27 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,956Posts Today

7,622Users online

Martin's Twitter