Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 91
  • Diane_239
    hi all three Nsd but back at work today and bought load of whoopsies manly bath stuff,plus cans of pop for kids don't normally buy but has they was 50p for 8 just had to have them.
    does anyone have any recipes to use up porridge oats? please
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge.[£200/£200]
    Aug Grocery Challenge £200
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 13th Jul 08, 6:25 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Just updated sig, went to collect DH and spent £4.29 in the COOP on honey (£1.75), beer for bread (£2.09) and 500ml UHT milk (45p). Not an NSD afterall but not too bad as was needing these things, and resisted buying anything else
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 14-07-2008 at 7:31 AM. Reason: typo
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 13th Jul 08, 6:26 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    hi all three Nsd but back at work today and bought load of whoopsies manly bath stuff,plus cans of pop for kids don't normally buy but has they was 50p for 8 just had to have them.
    Originally posted by Diane_239
    I posted oat bread a few posts back, or I can type up my flapjack recipe if you are interested ?
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 13th Jul 08, 6:29 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Originally posted by Diane_239
    Twink’s Hobnobs
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 13th Jul 08, 6:30 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Of course, what else lol.
    I need to make more of these tomorrow or maybe tues once all the muffins are finished.
    • penguin83
    • By penguin83 13th Jul 08, 6:41 PM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 13,105 Thanks
    penguin83
    Just added up my totals for the month so far and its £189.15 but need to do a massive shop on Tuesday so hoping to spend no more than £100.00 on that - but we will see! x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
  • hev
    Not even half way through the month, and over budget.

I went into Sainsburys yesterday, thought I was going to pass out and got even more random than normal. Why else would I buy stainless steel cleaner - I have no stainless steel unless you count my sink and my pans, which aren't supposed to be cleaned with stainless steel cleaner! sigh.

I'm still signing on here and keeping track. It will give me an idea of where my money is going and in August I am definitely aiming for £290, or ten pounds less. I shall also be looking at all the wonderful recipes. Part of yesterday's haul were the ingredients for bounty balls, which I am so looking forward to! OH is as well, so he let me off the stainless steel cleaner (still can't believe I got it, but I was really feeling poorly, so I must have not been thinking straight)

So tomorrow includes making the bounty balls and a batch or two of Twinks!

Hugs to all
    Always another chapter

• OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 13th Jul 08, 7:22 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Flapjacks (adapted from a cookery mag a few years back).
    • 175g (6oz) butter
    • 25g (1oz) golden syrup
    • 140g (5oz) soft brown sugar
    • 125g (4&1/4oz) rolled oats
    • 55g (2oz) plain wholemeal flour (ordinary plain works ok too)
    • 50g (2oz) dried cranberries (or any other dried fruit you prefer)
    • 55g (2oz) dessicated coconut
    1. Preheat oven to 180/350/gas 4.
    2. Lightly grease a 23cm (9inch) square baking tray.
    3. Melt the syrup and butter together.
    4. Remove pan from heat and stir in sugar, oats, dried fruit, flour and coconut and mix well.
    5. Spread out evenly and bake for 15 min until golden.
    6. Mark the squares, then allow to cool for 15 min before cutting.
    7. ENJOY
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 13-07-2008 at 7:24 PM.
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 13th Jul 08, 7:23 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Not even half way through the month, and over budget.

I went into Sainsburys yesterday, thought I was going to pass out and got even more random than normal. Why else would I buy stainless steel cleaner - I have no stainless steel unless you count my sink and my pans, which aren't supposed to be cleaned with stainless steel cleaner! sigh.

I'm still signing on here and keeping track. It will give me an idea of where my money is going and in August I am definitely aiming for £290, or ten pounds less. I shall also be looking at all the wonderful recipes. Part of yesterday's haul were the ingredients for bounty balls, which I am so looking forward to! OH is as well, so he let me off the stainless steel cleaner (still can't believe I got it, but I was really feeling poorly, so I must have not been thinking straight)

So tomorrow includes making the bounty balls and a batch or two of Twinks!

Hugs to all
    Originally posted by hev
    Never mind, it can be a process with ups and downs getting GC sussed!
    Hope you are feeling better soon though, the twinks will cheer you up.
    I need to try making bounty balls soon
  • catnap53

I keep telling myself that not many girls on the wrong side of 50 get the chance at a new career like this so I intend to grab it with both hands

I may treat myself to coffee on the way to the bus though as DD2 has been working in the coffee shop at the station for the last 2 weeks so I'll have to support her well now and again anyway.
    Originally posted by JayJay14
    Congratulations on the new job. I know how you feel, I changed last year (at 53). It is scary, but think of it as having all that experience of life as well as other jobs.

Enjoy the pizza and the coffee treats, hope the bus journey treats you well too.

Zzzzz

• Sosh
    • By Sosh 13th Jul 08, 7:53 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Sosh
    We are having a new kitchen fitted in a couple of weeks, so dh and I have spent the weekend, clearing out and removing kitchen cupboards. Until the new kitchen is in, I can't do anymore baking. It's only been 2 days and I can't believe how much I'm missing it!

I'm now on my 4th nsd, hopefully, I shouldn't need to shop until at least wednesday.
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children.
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 13th Jul 08, 8:06 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 35,526 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good evening all

My bread burnt in the BM I had put too many sunflower seeds in it and I thought I had measured them

oh well never mind I will eat it anyway
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• fertyskids
    hi everyone, hope your all ok.

another NSD day today that makes 7 this month !! Yipee.

getting board of sloppy food, spag bol casseroles etc.

ive been given loads of courgettes, any ideas what i can do with them?

also some sort of veg i dont recognise, white shaped likes a ball????? with leaves out of the top like a carrot.

thanks karen
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 13th Jul 08, 8:40 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 35,526 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    OFF to bed now see you tomorrow

mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• annelouise
    g'nite kaat_lady
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • Blairweech
    • By Blairweech 13th Jul 08, 9:09 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    Blairweech
    Definantly NOT a NSD for me! After all my bills etc had been paid, I had £45 to buy petrol, food, electric, credit et al or the week. I got £10 electric, and I was just going to get £20 petrol or something BUT I had a 5p voucher from tesco, so I Though I might as well fill up m tank and get maximum savings :embarrased: So anyway, that cost £38, then I went to the carbot and spent about another £20, then I went to town and bough some jiffy bags (for Ebay) and a draught exluder for my door and that cost me another £6!!!

Oh, and I went to Aldi and Sainsburys and bought peppers and chicken. Another £12.

I think a problem with my earnings is that it seems like someweeks when i have over £200 coming in, I have no boills to pay, but weeks when I only have £170 coming in (the weeks I don't work on a Saturday :rolleyes ALL my bills are due.
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
    • perrywinkle
    • By perrywinkle 13th Jul 08, 9:12 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    perrywinkle
    spaghetti with courgettes, tomatoes and brie
    hi everyone, hope your all ok.

ive been given loads of courgettes, any ideas what i can do with them?

thanks karen
    Originally posted by fertyskids
    Hi fertyskids,

I grow tomatoes and courgettes and this is something we look forward to making when they are both ready to eat. Quite often see whoopsied brie as well which makes it cheaper to make.

Spaghetti with courgettes, tomato and brie

300g spaghetti
    500g courgettes (halved length ways and sliced)
    3 tbsp olive oil
    2 garlic cloves (sliced thinly)
    Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
    6 ripe tomatoes (roughly chopped)
    140g brie (cubed)

Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water for about 12 minutes.
    Heat the oil. Fry courgettes and garlic for 3 – 4 minutes until softened.
    Add lemon zest, tomatoes and about 3 tablespoons of the pasta water to make a sauce.
    Cook for 2 – 3 minutes until the tomato begins to soften.
    Remove from the heat and stir in the brie so it just starts to melt.
    Season and add lemon juice to taste.
    Drain the spaghetti and add to the tomato mixture. Mix well and serve.

HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • annelouise
    blairweech

If you do not need padded envelopes why dont you pick up the silver special delivery plsastic envelopes free and turn inside out and use them.I do saves me a small fortune and they are waterproof and light weight!!!

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • fertyskids
    thanks perrywinkle,
    its sounds delicous. i'll have that for my tea tommorrow.
    could i freeze courgettes in your sauce or raw as i have a lot.
    thanks again its brill on here everyone is so helpful.
  • shezza
    Evening everyone, could someone put the title of the book that was recommended on this thread at the beginning of the week please. I have looked through loads of the pages and I just can't seem to find it, and I would like to see if I can get it from the library.

Curry Queens chicken bhuna was lovely, highly recommended. The base sauce takes a while to prepare but you have enough for another 3 curries. Going to try the korma next.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,054Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin