PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• annelouise_2
    annelouise_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Very MSE tea tonight

Chicken Korma dd9
    Lasagna dd8 / ds4
    Chili Prawns me

Making room in freezer as we speak.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Hey Gang.....this week I've managed to have five NSD -personally, but the offspring have brought things in cuz I've not been out;) & if they are that desperate for summat, they can pay for it!

Been to MrT two days running & stocked up on a couple of the Hovis bread mixes & cake decorations, plus a pack of water filters I]Britax original 3+1 free £10[/I & 2 lots of loo rolls I]OL aloe vera 9+3 free £3:99[/I amongst other things, so a total of £65:32 to go on my spends. Thankfully it was a milk & local paper trip yesterday so got my petrol voucher today.....

I think OrkneyStar offered a recipe for bread--uerm--:rolleyes: --was it to include oatmeal or something:confused:...have I missed it :huh: Oooh yes...& to say check out the "What Value Things Have You Tried & Liked" & the what value etcetc You DON'T Like" threads for some idea of what MrT has.
    You're Auzzie Diabetic recipe book sounds intriguing Mouche..me muvva is a Type 2 & is always looking for 'something different':o Do you think you could post the full title &/or author please? We cut down the sugar in various recipes, but any other ideas would be handy..TIA.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I was looking through my old recipes and came across these - haven't made them in ages but they always used to go down well in this house.

Moniker’s Malt Bread

This is more of a ‘tea bread’ or cake than actual bread – but nice sliced and spread with butter and quite economical

8oz SR flour
    1tsp bicarbonate of soda
    ¼ pt milk
    2 tbsp malt extract
    2 tbsp golden syrup
    1 egg beaten
    4 oz sultanas

Sift the flour and the bicarb together. Place the milk and the malt extract and syrup in a saucepan and heat gently stirring until blended together. Add to the flour with the egg and beat until smooth. Stir in the dried fruit. Pour into a greased and lined 1lb loaf tin ( I always use a 2lb as that’s the only size I’ve got and it’s fine). Bake at 190C or gas mark 5 for 45 -50 mins.

Bran Fruit Loaf
    Another tea bread type thing – I think I got the recipe off the Kelloggs packet!

4oz Bran Buds or All Bran or similar
    5oz caster sugar
    10oz mixed dried fruit
    ½ pt milk
    4oz SR Flour

Put bran, sugar and dried fruit into a bowl and mix well together. Stir in the milk and leave to stand for half an hour. Sieve in the flour, and mix well together. Pour the mixture into a wel-greased 2lb loaf tin. Bake at 180C gas mark 4 for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours.

Both these recipes freeze ok too. I like to slice them when cold and wrap the slices in baking parchment or greaseproof paper so that they don’t stick together. That way you can take them out of the freezer as you need them rather than having them eaten all at once!
  • Coolmum66
    Coolmum66 Posts: 145
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all

Been puzzling all week as to why last weeks spend was quite high - finally clicked on to the fact that it included 2 lots of phone credit!!!! They are not included in my shopping budget!!!

So - my correct totals so far:

Last week £45.09
    Today £37.26

This comes to £82.35 out of £200 for the month. Again - will prob need to get extra milk and bread during the week, but will add that on as we go.

Have a good weekend everybody!!

Coolmum xx
    Debt at 2nd LBM (!) Jun 08 £8,435 - hm, let's not go there!!
    DFW Nerd - 721 / DFW Long Hauler 4 / DFD - ASAP!!
    Sealed pot challenge - member 336 - £200 target
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all,

Have been to my 'naughty girl' speed awareness training day today - very enlightening but very boring at the same time IYKWIM. It did make me think, which is the point I suppose, but it's not exactly an exiting subject is it! I won't go into politics about it, as I know EVERYONE on here has an opinion on speeding and I don't want to upset or offend anyone.

Herby thank you for the good wishes, feeling much better now although still bunged up and a bit short of breath (always affects my breathing, teach me to be asthmatic eh! :rolleyes: ) but at least I can get on with stuff now and not just be sitting down and working on the laptop (my excuse, and I'm sticking to it...:D )
    KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    looks like an NSD for me today as I just woke up again

Looks like we're going to have to start calling you Kaat_Nap instead! :D:D:D

Nearly a no spend day today but forgot to take my rolls I made, so had to get something to eat on the way home. The only thing I found on the way back down the motorway was a MrMac - and I HATE those - but just grabbed a kids meal with coffee - £2.29 to add to total - Ohh, what I could have done with that money..... makes me soooo mad :mad:

Hope everyone's had a good day - good luck to everyone for the weekend,
    Den x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • wendywitch
    wendywitch Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    annelouise wrote: »
    Very MSE tea tonight

Chicken Korma dd9
    Lasagna dd8 / ds4
    Chili Prawns me

Making room in freezer as we speak.

annelouise

Are the numbers after your "DD" etc your children's ages or do you have 9 children?:eek:
    I thought it was done in age order e.g daughter number 1 = DD1, have I been doing it wrong?
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi everybody, I just popped in to amend my total. Had quite a few nsd's and just had to get bread and milk in the week.
    Now I've got a very small amount tll payday, have to get fresh stuff for work next week and more bread/milk.
    But my mom phoned :eek: they're coming to lunch on Sunday - so that I think will be the end of my budget...........................
    I remember when I was little, I'd ask her what's for dinner and she'd say 'Bread and iffit'
    I never found out what 'iffit' was else I'd get my own back :rotfl:
  • I think people do it both ways I always use the DD1, DD2, DS etc
    :j
    May 2013 new beginnings:j
  • Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi all,

Have been to my 'naughty girl' speed awareness training day today - very enlightening but very boring at the same time IYKWIM. It did make me think, which is the point I suppose, but it's not exactly an exiting subject is it! I won't go into politics about it, as I know EVERYONE on here has an opinion on speeding and I don't want to upset or offend anyone.

Herby thank you for the good wishes, feeling much better now although still bunged up and a bit short of breath (always affects my breathing, teach me to be asthmatic eh! :rolleyes: ) but at least I can get on with stuff now and not just be sitting down and working on the laptop (my excuse, and I'm sticking to it...:D )

Looks like we're going to have to start calling you Kaat_Nap instead! :D:D:D

Nearly a no spend day today but forgot to take my rolls I made, so had to get something to eat on the way home. The only thing I found on the way back down the motorway was a MrMac - and I HATE those - but just grabbed a kids meal with coffee - £2.29 to add to total - Ohh, what I could have done with that money..... makes me soooo mad :mad:

Hope everyone's had a good day - good luck to everyone for the weekend,
    Den x

Well Den that training day sounds riviting eh, bet your all trained up now :j :j :j have a good weekend girl and have fun :beer: (sorry u still got the cold) xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well, after all my moaning about lack of reduced stuff here what do I find today when I pop to the Coop and Tesco......whoopsies!
    In the coop I got orkney braising steak, scotch beef stir fry, pork stir fry, 2 x 2 packs of chicken fillets, grapes, nectarines (v. posh ones) , apricots, asparagus, green beans, potatoes, oranges, organic kiwi's, leeks, plums, lemons, blueberries, cauliflower, strawberries, new tatties, baking tatties, hovis loaf, hovis rolls all for less than 1/2 price, in fact most were 1/4 price!!!!!! Sounds like a lot of fruit but the plums, grapes, apricots, kiwis, blueberries will all keep for a good few days in the fridge. Plenty FV to do us for a whole week- great quality stuff, reduced to silly prices......mmmmmm blueberry muffins here we come. Also got some other stuff too, so for a spend coming to £38.89 I actually paid £24.29 (£1.60 in store savings, £2 voucher used against dettol, £10 of £30 voucher from the local paper and £1 off £5 meat). Well chuffed :D
    Also got in Tesco Orkney gold steak mince for 38p- a smallish pack that will do us for spag bol/chilli, and 2 packs of Orkney gold beef casserole at 86p and 93p- full price was around £3.70-90 for each-these are massive packs that would do a stew to serve us 2-3 days in a row!!!
    Also got some more value plain flour and a couple of other bits. Came to £7.73, then 52p off for in-store deal and another £2 voucher used on air freshener.
    Total taken a hit but then the freezer is full of lovely meat, plenty fresh veg and fruit too, and won't even need milk until at least Wednesday next week.
    Am planning a small local shop of no more than £5 twice a week now, Sat and Wed (not tomorrow though) so with 5 of those to go that should mean no more than about £25-30 needed hopefully. Also still have £5 in my envelope for the first shop on Weds.
    Have had my whoopsie fix for a while and now its time to save for the hols.
    Sorry not been able to read all your posts, hugs to all those that need them and a pat on the back for those that need them too.
    :wave: ta ra ra
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure