Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 73
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 10th Jul 08, 12:46 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Well the freezer and fridge need defrosting so started with the fridge, and will run down freezer stock another NSD and in budget, going great guns as I have to use whats in stock .
    Lunch was mince and peas from freezer,1/2 a can of toms lurking at the back of cupboard, 1/2 onion hiding at the back of fridge left over carrots/swede from last night+ veg stock and seanoning, called it mince ratatooui (wish I could spell) and shop bought yogurts, just need to start making my own
    Last edited by Herewegoagain; 10-07-2008 at 12:51 PM.
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 10th Jul 08, 12:49 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Oh noooo yum yum yum! Will let you know how the iced ginger cake comes out, I'm with Bigbird, my diet has gone to pot, I can hear my waistline expanding just reading the recipes Now I'm wondering how the iced buns would be with some chopped apple and sultanas adding to the bread mix with the cinnamon icing on top!!!
    Originally posted by Herbaholic
    Have you tried D&DD's apple braid? v yummy

Hi Sammy here's the apple braid one
    Dough.
    1 sachet yeast
    15 oz strong bread flour
    3/4 tsp salt
    4 tbspn sugar (less if wanted)
    4 1/2 tbspn butter
    2 eggs
    6 fl oz milk

I find this comes out a bit on the sticky side sometimes so you may need a bit of extra flour to hand *I make this up in my MR haven't tried it in the Panny yet!*
    Set for white bread dough..

Filling.
    2 eating apples
    1 1/2 tsp plain flour
    2 tbspn sugar
    3/4 tspn cinammon
    3/4 tspn lemon juice
    3 tbspns sultanas

Peel,core and chop apples into small pieces toss with the remaining ingredients.

Roll out dough to 1/3 inch thick rectangle shape.Mark lightly from top to bottom into thirds without cutting!! On the outer thirds make diagonal cuts about 1 inch wide.

Place the filling down the centre of the dough then plait the dough over the top.

Cover loosely and rise for 30 mins then bake for approx 30 mins til golden brown.Gas mark 4/180 c/350 f

These cooked up fast so do keep an eye on them after about 15 mins..as you can see I went for a wander round the garden and just caught mine in time
    Originally posted by D&DD
  • scotsaver
    Merfe - so sorry to hear your sad news.

Thanks to mama67 - the Gingerbread Muffins were a huge hit yesterday, DD2 was going to a friend's for Dinner so gave her 6 to take with her and they loved them, OH and I had one each with a nice cuppa, yummy. DD1 wouldn't try them as she doesn't like Gingerbread but plenty of Twinks Hobnobs in, HM Jam Tarts, Courgette Muffins etc etc for her to have instead!! Can't believe how much baking/cooking I do now. Also made some more rolls yesterday and some Tortilla wraps as DD1 likes one of those in her Lunchbox, feel like a Baker as OH has HM Rolls in his lunch, DD1 has the Tortillas and DD2 has HM Bread - I just have whatever is left in that day!!

Today I have made a Bacon Casserole, recipe was from another thread I picked up ages ago and kept meaning to make but finally got round to it as we are still using up the Freezers supplies. In the oven at the moment on a Slow Cook and smells nice. Took the bacon off a Gammon Knuckle I had and now have a pot of Soup on the go with the stock from the Bone.

What was that rain like yesterday - just didn't stop all day but at least we have a bit of sun today and so far it has stayed dry but OH just called to say it is pouring down in London so hope it's not on it's way over here in time for School Run - why does it always rain at 3pm??:confused:

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• scotsaver
    Have you tried D&DD's apple braid? v yummy
    Originally posted by angelnikki

angelnikki - ohhhhhhhh, how could you do this to my waistline :rolleyes: - reminded me how yummy D&DD's braids are and realised it's been too long since I made some....................dashing off to the kitchen to get the flour out.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Zend
    July Grocery Challenge
    Sent £4 so far this week . Trying to use up whatevers left in the freezer and the store cupboard. I was feeling pretty rightous last week as I bought carrots from the local farm shop. They went mouldy within a few days , so I think it's back to Mr M's for vegs. On a happier note my mange tout and corgettes are doing really well .
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 10th Jul 08, 12:58 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    All these lovely cakes and buns are very tempting but as I have got to target weight am a bit scared of the temptation, they all sound so yummy Help
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • curly cabbage
    • By curly cabbage 10th Jul 08, 1:02 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    curly cabbage
    Afternoon
    Well i plan to have NSD today and tomorrow as i'm packing ready for the move at the end of the month, had a bit of a laps in my strict spend this week been to Sainsburys monday to get throat sweets on the way to work and came out 3 bag full of shopping all good buys but, i could have lived with out them as we need to reduce the fridge and frezzer to be able to move it, then yesterday had a miserable day with all that rain and packing box afterbox so got OH to pop in to Morrison to get a bottle of wine, he though i deserved a treat and brought cake home which was yummy, again a spend we could have done with out. BUT, today is a new day and after work i'm off home to do the iron and feed DS1 befor going to the gym, on the wat back we'll be dropping DS1 off at Air cadet then home for tea which is HM chilli and rice the nice glass of wine and TV. Supermarket free!!!!!! Tomorrow will be packing more boxes and take more cobwebb incrusted stuff to the tip anything that had any value went to bootsale last sunday and made £130 and maybe off to the gym tomorrow evening too. Planning HM sauages (Ala MRS M recipes) with mash and HM onion gravey from the frezzer. Saturday will be a different story DS1 off on Summer camp with Air cadets and will have to buy all the uniform he need a\nd the other holiday stuff but the 7 days of him not fighting with DS2 with be worth every penny or should the be pound!! My thoughts are with MERFE & MRS M for their recent losses

CC
  • WelshWoofer
    NSD for me yesterday and only 99p today (toothbrushes on offer in MrS).

Tea all sorted for tonight - the other half of the Quorn shepherds pie I made last night.

Last day before hols tomorrow and a half day at work to boot

can't wait - will actually see the sun this summer - not much chance of that in Manchester lately!
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
    • wendywitch
    • By wendywitch 10th Jul 08, 1:21 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 15,029 Thanks
    wendywitch
    For those who've been looking for reduced supercook goodies at Adsa, I managed today to get pots of 100's and 1000's at 13p a pot even though they clearly had Dr. Oetker on them :confused:
  • Herbaholic
    Let me know how it turns out, i saved the recipes ages ago meaning to try it out and havent got round to it yet! I love cinnamon too, when i made the iced buns i did half the batch with cinnamon icing
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos
    Ahhh well that'll teach me G&B, I almost had everything in, got all excited after reading the recipe and grabbed stuff putting it in my pan as per instructionsput butter and golden syrup, dark sugar etc in pan reached for the treacle and doh! Then remembered I'd used it all up last time I made ginger biscuits, why didn't I remember before I started making the cake?!!!

Not to be deterred (having stuff in the pan and didn't want to waste it you understand) I decided to waist it instead lol so I added extra golden syrup in place of the treacle (I hope that'll be okay!), threw in some candied ginger and some sultanas along with a little ginger extract and some more cinnamon. Not sure I'll ice it though, the mix seemed very sweet. Will let you know how my version minus treacle turns out later.

Angelnikki, no I haven't tried the apple braid YET! But I have a feeling it'll be on the menu in the not too distant future. Does anybody have any slimming cake recipes, you know the kind you eat and the pounds melt away instead of meld on to the hips? I know I shouldn't bake, but that wouldn't be very OS now would it, besides as the Daleks say "resistance is futile" lol! I shall have to tell DH that you lot made me do it lol!

Herby
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 ; Jun £278.86/£275.00 ; May £276.13/£280.00
  • annelouise
    Toffee Muffins,

dd9 looked longingl in cake tins - found a few Twinks "Mum you'll have to bake today!!!!!!"

Made 12 eaten 2,rest cooling nicely.

No thoughts of popping to shop at all.

Kids have a friend over who bought sweeties and a bag of magdalenas!!!Afternoon snack.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 10th Jul 08, 2:25 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Well, I have survived the day so far but think I may have closed my eyes for five minutes during the lunch time news! OH is having a nap as I write. I have finished cleaning out the bottom kitchen cupboards so am feeling very virtuous!

We had the soup from the slo-cooker for lunch with hm bread. There was enough to do for tomorrow's lunch too and some for the freezer. I took a lamb stew out for tonight's dinner though and made the vegetable casserole for tomorrow. Here's the recipe as I promised:

Moniker’s Vegetable Casserole

You can make this with any combination of veg you like but today I used:

About ¼ of a cauliflower (2 large pieces) broken into individual florets
    I medium courgette thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons frozen peas
    1x198gm can of natural sweetcorn, drained
    4 small potatoes peeled and ‘parboiled’ till just soft
    1pt semi skimmed milk
    3 level tablespoons plain flour
    1 ½ oz (35gm) butter
    Ground black pepper
    Pinch of nutmeg or mustard powder
    3 – 4 oz (100-125gms) of grated cheddar

First cook the potatoes and then drain and allow to cool before slicing fairly thinly - I do mine in the microwave for about 5 mins with a little water. Then put all the veg except the sweetcorn into a shallow ovenproof dish with a little water and cover and microwave for 3-5 mins until they are just soft. (You can also do this in a saucepan on the hob - cover veg with water and bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 mins). Drain the liquid off and reserve. Melt the butter and then gradually stir in the flour until you can’t get the butter to ‘hold’ any more. Gradually stir in the veg liquid and then make up to a pint with milk. Cook until the sauce thickens stirring to avoid lumps (I do mine in the microwave but a pan on the hob is fine too). When sauce thickens, stir in about ½ - 2/3’s of the cheese and season with pepper and nutmeg or mustard to taste. Add the sweetcorn to the veg in the dish and then pour the sauce over until the vegetables are covered. Layer the sliced potatoes over the top of the dish until it is covered and then sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese. I like to add about a tablespoon of wholemeal breadcrumbs as well to make it crunchier!

I have never done so, but I think you could freeze it at this stage (let it cool first though) and you could probably reheat from frozen –just allow a bit longer in the oven. Or, you can keep overnight in the fridge to cook the next day which is what I am doing.

If you want to eat it straightaway pop it into a moderate oven 180C Gas mark 4 for 20-30 minutes until golden and crispy on top. Serve with crusty bread and a salad (or just on its own!).

The above quantities will serve 2-3 adults (4 if you have the bread and salad with it). I will be freezing the leftovers afterwards. I had about ¼ pt of the cheese sauce left which I will also be freezing to use another day.

I got this recipe from a magazine when I first got married in 1976, but I am sorry I can’t remember which one! The original recipe had baby onions in it, but as I said you can use any combination you like. I usually use strong cheddar in cooking as you can get away with using less, if you use a mild one you might like to adjust the quantity to compensate. My OH really loves this dish and it is really good for using up the end of the week veg which have seen better days. Enjoy!

Off to put my feet up. I think i've earned it!
  • winniepooh
    moniker that sounds lovely. That will be on next weeks meal planner

Well have stocked up for next week.

Been to the butchers and ordered from tesco. I've just got to pick a few salad bits up on wednesday and bits and bobs. but so far so good.

59.67 at tesco ( couldn't find a code that worked )
    5.39 in the butchers

must go and change my signature now.
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!

JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
    • betterlife
    • By betterlife 10th Jul 08, 2:57 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 3,079 Thanks
    betterlife
    hi everyone, im not in the grocery challege officially, but still watching the pennies, had to let you know about my great bargain at coop today. they have vine tomatoes at 1.99 a pack , buy one get one free. anyway the packs where reduced to 1.00 each so i asked are they still bogof so 1.00 for 2 pks, she said yes so i picked up 4 pks, anyway when i got home the free pack had minused 1.99 so i got all 4 pks for 2p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a bargain! will be making hm tom sauce tonight me thinks.
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 10th Jul 08, 3:05 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    hey everybody not had chance to catch up in the last day or so through work and being at alton towers (got soaked by rides and weather but had a brill time ) but i havent spent much out my gc although ive got £15 or so to last time next friday dont think its gonna work but im hopeful hope your all good and ((hugs)) to mrs M thinking of you xxx
    Still searching .....
  • hev
    Haven't updated sig - spent 94p on loaf.

Last night it was me that sabotaged the meal plan - couldn't face food.

What we are having tonight is anyone's guess - but it is coming out of the cupboards or freezer - no way am I spending more money!

So far, since the start of the meal plan on 28 June, we have not had one single meal that we should have. Sigh. Well, tomorrow we are definitely sticking to the plan - it says fish & chips from chippy!
    Always another chapter

• newmoneysaver
    Phew, just caught up on all the posts - I've not been on for two days. Thanks for the people who wished me luck being back at work. It wasn't two bad but I have had two short days and I am starting at 10 am tomorrow. Next week is going to be hell though - back to the 9-5. Hugs to all thos that need them.

I'm just about to make another batch of HM tortillas - some for lunches tomorrow, the rest for freezer and I need to add choc topping to a choc sponge and then portion and freeze most. We are having HM quiche from the freezer for tea with new pots.
  • jackk
    Just updating sig from my Mr A visit.

1 kg pack of Basmati rice has been rolled back to £1.13

I also noted that the organic sunflower oil is cheaper than the non-organic @ £1.08 per litre HTH.

Jackie x
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 10th Jul 08, 4:35 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Hi all,
    thank you all for your good wishes - feeling much better today after a long lay-in - didn't get up until 11.30am, and that was only because my mum came round, so maybe I needed that!
    Anyway, picked up DS from college and went straight to Lidls - got megga bargain on their grapes - 65p per kg - went into Tesco after and their grapes are £4.49 per kg also got some beechams cold & flu capsules for 99p - hubby paid 4.59 from the garage the other day, although that was for 16 and these were only 8's, but even so...

Went to Mr T's after and got some woopsied f&v - strawbs £3.99 £1.99 59p, 4 small advocados 45p and celery sticks for 29p - not much else there...

Hope everyone else is having a good day, take care x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 10th Jul 08, 4:37 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    Got water from cooking vegs up left, used for gravy but loathed to throw the rest away, can anyone give new and old uses for it, let's see how many different options you all can come up with

So many great ideas appear on this thread I know your imagenations will work over time, and I will be waiting with baited breath
    Originally posted by Herewegoagain
    Making bread with,just gives 'another dimension'.

J
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

6,550Users online

Martin's Twitter