Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 72
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 10th Jul 08, 10:19 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hi all
    Haven't had time to catch up on posts but thought you would like to hear my mad dream from last night! We were all together discussing food and shopping (of course) in a big room- now obviously don't know what any of you look like so you all were like user names- orkney star ( a star of course) a penguin I think merfe and I were distinctly smurf like, herbaholic- large bunch of herbs etc etc!!
    Very very bizarre but I woke up smiling and thinking I might be slightly addicted to the grocery challenge
    Must do a bit of essay writing before Baby Cafe will probably drop in again later to catch up properly

Smetf
    PS I am not mad honest just have very strange dreams
    Originally posted by smetf
    lol lol lol mad or what ?
    I wish I had interesting dreams like that!
    I did once dream that Primark were coming here but no such luck, although now we have Tescos........
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 10th Jul 08, 10:36 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Everyone seems to be getting much better bargains with woopsies than I am, :confused: I must go at the wrong times, can only get out in the middle of the day and I do think mr m is a bit of a skinflint with the ol woopsies any way.
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 10th Jul 08, 10:40 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Everyone seems to be getting much better bargains with woopsies than I am, :confused: I must go at the wrong times, can only get out in the middle of the day and I do think mr m is a bit of a skinflint with the ol woopsies any way.
    Originally posted by Herewegoagain
    We get hardly any here either, I think this is why our GC budget is not very low compared to some people here, as we cut back in as many ways as we can. We generally have to pay full price for all meat, sometimes cold meat is half price, and also we don't have the milk deals etc that operate further south
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 10th Jul 08, 10:42 AM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos

G&B's-- what is funkyfunkymonkeys chocolate cake and can I have the recipe please- am making stuff to take to my Mums for her birthday this weekend
    Originally posted by FelineFantastic
    Its on the first page of the grocery challenge, think the title is just chocolate fudge cake. I've made the sponge, just waiting for it to cool before i ice it.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Herbaholic
    Borax & HM Washing Powder Supplies
    Someone asked about getting some borax, have just tried to find the post but failed, anyway I was sorting out the cupboard under the kitchen sink and found a box of 'Tesco Naturally' Borax that I'd forgotten about , I think it was about 99p for a 400g box. They're selling it as an eco stain remover. It was a new product to the Mr T eco friendly range when I got it a few months ago, they also do 500g boxes of bicarbonate of soda to in the same range. Just looked online though and neither product is listed. I got mine from one of the larger Tesco stores, so if anyone wants to call in and see if they still have any then you may get lucky? I'm not going to Mr T for a while, but if they still do it will update when I next visit. Not much use really, but if you happen to be going to Mr T for other stuff and want some borax, it may be worth checking out the 'eco friendly' cleaning products in the cleaning aisles.

While I was looking online, I did notice Mr T are doing 1kg packs of washing soda crystals for 29p and you can get soap flakes called Granny's Original Soap Flakes (425g) for £1.16, for those that want to make their own soap gloop but don't want to grate bars of soap. HTH someone

Herby
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 ; Jun £278.86/£275.00 ; May £276.13/£280.00
  • Anitaj73
    Anita: Sounds like you have had a miserable worrying time- however if its any consolation to you one of nephews had similar problems to your son (had his first grommetts under the age of one, and as many sets after as he was allowed, and also the ear drum perforation and affected hearing) and has no problems at all now-- it took a lot of time and trauma but its all clear now-- fingers crossed that this will be the same for your son (((((hugs))))
    Originally posted by FelineFantastic
    Thanx FelineFantastic is nice to hear other peoples stories, the not knowing whats going to happen is the worst part. I'm pleased to hear your nephew came out the otherside of it ok, i'll be keeping my fingers X for my DS too

Got my second MrT delivery last night. Total was £80.67 but after special offers and £9 discount code it came to £67.29. That should be enough to carry us to the end of the month except the infamous F+V and milk once my tokens run out. I think its gonna be tight on the budget but i'm gonna try my hardest to keep within it .....will update sig in a mo

Lemon madeira was a success and banana loaf is fab. The bread rolls turned out great so baking confidence is growing I really want to try the iced buns but still trying to pluck up the courage
    Did feel rather good when i did my DS2 a pack up today (normally has school dinners) as everything in there was HM thanx to all here

Right i better get on and still have some posts to catch up on
    Have a good day all, sun is shining here today which cheers me up no end. Even though i know its not gonna last. Although the rain does help with the NSD, have had 5 so far this month

Sorry stop rambling now
    Have a good day all
    Anita xx
    May GC £350/ spent so far

family life = 2 adults DS x3 & DD1 + dog
    • Ches
    • By Ches 10th Jul 08, 11:06 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 10,371 Thanks
    Ches
    Parsnips - probably not properly OS but I'm still learning...

Today I diced some potato and cut parsnip and carrots into chunks. I put them in a basin with a dollop (scientific term) of cooking oil and a large dash of cajun spices and stirred them round really well so that all the chunks were coated. Put them in a hot oven for around 40 mins - very yummy indeed! No idea how to put it like a proper recipe - just went by rule of thumb and eye.

On week one of my meal plans for this week I didn't manage to get a single meal cooked according to plan.

So far this week...

Sat - meal plan said a treat from my shopping trip, but felt like death so didn't go out so raided the freezer and store cupboard.
    Sun - meal plan said roast meat but due to not doing meals on last weeks menu plan I needed to use up veggies so we had ratatouille.
    Mon - Had the roast meat that we were going to have Sunday.
    Tues - had the cold meat and home made 'wedge type thing' that I should have had yesterday with frozen peas.

Now, if we are following the meal plan but one day shuffled on, then tomorrow should be fish cakes and oven chips. However there is so much meat left over that it would be criminal to just use it as a sandwich (plus I couldn't eat that much meat by myself). But I don't want to just do oven chips because that's almost the same as tonight. Unless something dreadful happens my plan is to chop ham small and mix with mushroom (from freezer, after last week's chaos), onion and condensed mushroom soup and put mashed potato on top like a shepherd's pie.

My track record on this isn't good, though. Added to this, Thursday is down as a stir fry but I didn't get out at the weekend to get the fresh veggies, but I do have loads of peppers. If Thursday was one day shuffled on then it would be a chilli, so I may try stuffed peppers. That is the most adventurous I have been for years, so I shall see. Whatever happens I do not want to buy anything more. I don't think I will be able to bring in the challenge this month, but there is such a thing as going down fighting!
    Originally posted by hev
    Haven't caught up with the rest of the thread yet but had to post to say wow to Hev. Well done on being flexible and using your available food up in the best possibe way without any waste. I have been home catering/cooking for 45 years and you could certainly teach me a thing or two about lateral thinking.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot.
  • busy mum
    Anyone have any recipes using black treacle?
    JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50

WEEK 2 = £60.83
    Week 3 £72.05
  • Cornishpixie
    No sorry, got some Teacle in my cupboard. I've only ever used it in a tart, but I cheated and used ready made pastry. Kids didn't like it. I'm sure you could perhaps make toffee with it, no idea how to make it, but when I don't know receipe I just Goggle it. Sorry not very knowledgable. Just chatty
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 10th Jul 08, 11:36 AM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Originally posted by busy mum
    Not tried this as i dont have any black treacle, but i keep meaning to buy some to try it out
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • dink1
    Busy Mum - had a quick look on web have you tried these treacle recipes? http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Treacle%20Recipes.htm HTH
    Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50
    • perrywinkle
    • By perrywinkle 10th Jul 08, 11:48 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    perrywinkle
    sticky gingerbread
    Hi busy mum,

this is the only thing I seem to use black treacle for. If you wrap it once it is cool and keep it for a day or so it goes stickier and yummier.

Sticky gingerbread

4 oz butter or marg
    8 oz plain flour
    2 oz golden syrup
    6 oz black treacle
    1 tsp ground mixed spice
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp bicarb of soda
    1 oz caster sugar
    ¼ pint milk
    2 eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 160oC/325oF/gas mark 3. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin or 7 – 8” square tin with melted butter or marg. Line the base and sides with greaseproof paper and brush the paper with more butter.
    Place the butter or marg, syrup and treacle in a small pan and heat gently until just melted.
    Sift the plain flour, mixed spice, ground ginger and bicarb of soda into a mixing bowl.
    Stir the milk into the melted mixture.
    Add the eggs and caster sugar to the dry ingredients then gradually pour the melted mixture into the bowl stirring carefully with a wooden spoon.
    Beat thoroughly with the wooden spoon until any lumps in the mixture are smoothed out.
    You can also add a handful of glace cherries or dried fruit at this stage if you like.
    Pour the mixture into the tin and sit it on a baking tray.
    Bake in the centre of the oven for 50 – 60 minutes until firm and a skewer comes out clean.
    Transfer to a rack to cool.

When cool, if liked, can decorate with glace icing made with 4 oz icing sugar and thinly sliced pieces of stem ginger and angelica.

HTH
    Perrywinkle
    Last edited by perrywinkle; 10-07-2008 at 11:53 AM.
  • busy mum
    Thanks for treacle links
    JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50

WEEK 2 = £60.83
    Week 3 £72.05
    • mama67
    • By mama67 10th Jul 08, 12:19 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    try this I posted earlier in the week.
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
    • *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 10th Jul 08, 12:19 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    Oo, my mouth is watering just looking at the treacle recipes! I have a tin in the cupboard at home, so will have to try some - yum

My diet has SOOOO gone to pot since I found this thread!!!
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 10th Jul 08, 12:29 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    aww bless ya! what would we all do without you posting your nutty comments! you never fail to brighten my day reading your funny words and im sure im not alone,denise,you crack me up,thank you,its good to go to bed with a smile on my face i tell you.
    THANKS ALL OF YOU FOR BEING MY FRIENDLY,HAPPY OLDSTYLERS.x
    Originally posted by zoe260373
    Thanks for that Zoe, glad I make someone laugh, and there was me thinking that I was just rambling on (and on, and on, and on... ). I do love it on here and the friendly 'atmosphere' you get, even over the internet - everyone is just so helpful and thoughtful no matter what mood they are in themselves - really glad that I can pass some of that back on...
    Last edited by Flylady_Flower; 10-07-2008 at 1:44 PM. Reason: Sorry about double post - no brain on this morning!
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • Herbaholic
    Not tried this as i dont have any black treacle, but i keep meaning to buy some to try it out
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos
    Yummmmm! I have everything in to make this and the ovens on with choc n orange muffins, shame to let it cool down lol So I'm going to have a go at making this thanks G&B I love gingery things almost as much as cinnamon things, when you put the two together yum, yum, yum
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 10th Jul 08, 12:35 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Yummmmm! I have everything in to make this and the ovens on with choc n orange muffins, shame to let it cool down lol So I'm going to have a go at making this thanks G&B I love gingery things almost as much as cinnamon things, when you put the two together yum, yum, yum
    Originally posted by Herbaholic
    Let me know how it turns out, i saved the recipes ages ago meaning to try it out and havent got round to it yet! I love cinnamon too, when i made the iced buns i did half the batch with cinnamon icing
    Bertrand Russell
    • Ches
    • By Ches 10th Jul 08, 12:40 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 10,371 Thanks
    Ches
    I managed to get into town yesterday and had lunch with my friend who insisted on paying. (My turn next time). I went into Mr S and bought a few bits for tea so my total spend so far this month is £85.58p leaving me with £114.42p but I have visitors Sun - Tues so will have to shop for bits for them. Luckily the freezer has plenty of meat and I have ingredients for puddings etc but I will need cheese/fruit/veg and to stock up on any bargains etc so there won't be any money left at the end of the month. Never mind as long as the freezer/cupboards contents stay at about the same level I will be pleased. NSD today though.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot.
  • Herbaholic
    Let me know how it turns out, i saved the recipes ages ago meaning to try it out and havent got round to it yet! I love cinnamon too, when i made the iced buns i did half the batch with cinnamon icing
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos
    Oh noooo yum yum yum! Will let you know how the iced ginger cake comes out, I'm with Bigbird, my diet has gone to pot, I can hear my waistline expanding just reading the recipes Now I'm wondering how the iced buns would be with some chopped apple and sultanas adding to the bread mix with the cinnamon icing on top!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

615Posts Today

5,914Users online

Martin's Twitter