Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 53
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 7th Jul 08, 1:44 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,864 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    I'm back after throwing away iced bun dough as I had not put enough flour in it but have started a new batch in the BM

just thought to ask if there is any way to make plain flour into self raising flour by adding baking soda or something

thanks I have just googled it and got this

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=13031
    Last edited by KAAT_LADY; 07-07-2008 at 1:46 PM. Reason: eureka
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• jackk
    Sorry, guys but yet again I'm in my element in this weather - I LOVE IT!

Luckily my little one loves it too and we had a great time splashing the puddles. Cannot bring myself to use the abbreviation for little one as in teaching terms LO means learning objective and my lovely daughter is not that!!!

However, I'm feeling a bit annoyed with myself as I've spent more than I intended at all. Went out and got my little one some clothes, wellies and toys which although she needs the clothes and wellies she doesn't need the toys. She's loving Fifi at the moment and so I got her a Fifi doll. My husband said he'd give me the money as it was his idea to get her one but it's still money spent. :rolleyes: Ahh, well. Live and learn. I just wish I'd learnt earlier before I got myself into debt.

I did manage to get one bargain - Clarks are doing a 50% or more sale and as my little one's feet have gone up a size again I managed to get her her shoes at a fraction on the cost. One pair was 10 reduced from 32 and the other pair was 5 reduced from 16. So, at least that was money that had to be spend otherwise she'd be running around bare foot!

I'll stop my rambling and continue to enjoy this weather whilst it lasts.
    Originally posted by jediteacher

I love the cooler weather also, not enjoying the wet washing hanging all over the place though :rolleyes: , still the clothes horse is free hey .

Jackie x
  • WelshWoofer
    Well, regardless of my good intentions I gave in and went to spend the £5 NOTW voucher at MrTs. I thought as I was going around that it looked like about £30 worth (to get the discount) whe I got to the till it was £48 before the £5 came off!
    I'm only counting £32 towards the grocery budget though as £11 was books and wine (budgeted for separately).

Stiil it makes my total quite interesting! I'm off on hols for a week on Saturday so next week at least is taken care of and I have plenty in for this week.

Must try harder!!!
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 7th Jul 08, 2:43 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,864 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    hi there guys

have just tasted twinks hobnobs they are niiiiiiice just had another coffee

and a sit down,,, my leg feels better but my back is a bit sore now,,, that will teach me to look where I am going in future
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Moniker
    • By Moniker 7th Jul 08, 2:52 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    I have been very MSE and gone round the village on my bike to deliver some letters and managed to avoid the showers. Then I shredded a box of stuff DD1 left for me at the weekend and put it on my compost heap. Then I made OH and me a cuppa and had a healthy chewy bar - and then I came back on here to see what you were all up to! I will start on my kitchen cupboards next , honest!

M
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 7th Jul 08, 3:03 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,313 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Hi everyone after all my good intentions still not managing to get on here daily to give myself encouragement after reading what everyone else has been up to, everyone is so motivated and doing really well, I am definately having a better month, planning is the defiante key! got about 100 to last me till july 24th which should be plenty as got full stocked cupboards and freezer only downfall DD15 is doing work experience for a fortnight day 1 today and I have forgotten to budget this had to give her 3 for her train and gave her money for lunch as mot sure what is expected of her, cant go on like that for a fortnight!
    will update my sig in a minute just realsied I hadnt done it yet
    February grocery challenge 200
  • newmoneysaver
    I popped to Mr M this morning they have selected items at 50p for this week only:
    2 pack chilled peppered grill steaks
    4 chilled beef quarter pounders
    8 chilled pork thick sausages
    4 pieces of fresh chicken (drumstick/thigh mixed pack)
    4 pack large tomatoes
    1 iceburg lettuce
    1 pack of baby pearl new potato
    12 pack fresh bread rolls

You are only allowed 2 per item, per customer.

I got tomatoes, potatoes, quarter pounders, sausage and a pack of bas - I swapped a ack of toms for burgers with my Mum.
    Another £5.50 to add to the sig.
  • annelouise
    Krispie marshmallow bars

*4oz butter
    *4oz marshmallows
    *4oz toffees - any

4oz rice krispie or coco pops

Melt top 3 in microwave or on hob,put krispies in big bowl,add wet mix,stir,pour into 9x12 container,pat down and cool,cut into bars after chilled.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 7th Jul 08, 3:46 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,427 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Hi Guys and Gals!

I needed a walk, so went to the 'Co' to do a 10 shop. I had a 1 off 5 voucher, so got 2 fresh chickens, 4 pints of milk and 2 packs of sandwich rolls (going a picnic this week) which should see me through to next week. I have a pot of ham & lentil soup on the go just now and it's chicken for dinner tonight, as I had defrosted the last of it when doing the 'stocktake' yesterday. The sponge cakes have all disappeared already!

I've fallen behind with the posts again, will try to catch up soon.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
    • mumofjusttwo
    • By mumofjusttwo 7th Jul 08, 3:51 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 40,789 Thanks
    mumofjusttwo
    Well NSD for me today although my sig looks bad am hoping that I will only need milk fruit and veg until the end of the month-we will see.
    January Grocery 11/374
  • Sian the Green
    I have a confession to make...

I have a problem. I love a bargain, I mean I REALLY love a bargain. Such that if something is on offer I will not be able to resist it, even if it isn't something I think I need. Now this wouldn't be too bad if, like some of you lovely people, I had a hubby, 2.4 kids, a dog, some squirrels and the neighbours to feed. I feed me, just me (and some cakes for friends sometimes). And I can tell you that if you have one person's storage in a shared fridge, freezer and cupboard you can't buy enough sausages/rice/milk to feed the 5000. So I need to be better at resisting...

Now who said Mr M's had some good offers on burgers...
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • SAV3R
    Hi everyone, just catching up on posts while wondering what sort of biscuits to bake tonight. Baking, Baking always Baking, what's going on.....I have to laugh though, why are we all so obsessed with muffins?......I wonder...:confused: and how did we cope without them?

I have to tell you though of my near disaster yesterday, I made beef cobbler for the first time, everything was goin well, about to roll out when I realised, I'd used Plain flour instead of SR. I rolled it on a mix of baking powder and kneaded it in. It turned out fine. Anyone had any similar experiences?

I am not really a happy bunny today, DS2 came home with a letter from school today, they are striking next Wed / Thurs. I am already having a days hol on Fri DS1 returning from school trip late Thurs Eve, can't leave him alone can I? Really, really wish I didn't need to work.......
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 7th Jul 08, 4:08 PM
    • 7,656 Posts
    • 10,539 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    I'm back and doubly determined to save money at every turn. Holiday was great. After telling the folks my news I was thoroughly spoilt (Dad got me a DS 'for the days when its hard work' to share with the Bean )

I think I said 200 for July before I went away but I should manage on 150 as Hubbles is away most of this week and there's quite a bit in the freezer. That starts today - Hubbles is doing a shop this afternoon while I'm at work and I'll do a food plan for the rest of the month once I've reminded myself what I've got in cupboards/freezer then place an order with T's.

Better scoot - X
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% 400/2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• mama67
    • By mama67 7th Jul 08, 4:15 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    VE Party photos

2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
    • susan946
    • By susan946 7th Jul 08, 4:20 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    susan946
    Hello again

Thunder, lightening and rain here and it keeps coming over so dark we have to put the lights on!!!! Does anyone know what happened to July?

Just been to Asda, luckily avoided the rain which pelted down on the roof after we arrived but had cleared up by the time we got out again. I've updated my sig.

They have Hovis bread mix, normally 75p, on offer at two for £1.00, so a saving of one third. Bought ten packs as we get through quite a bit of it. Only problem is that the shelves are groaning under the weight of all the bulk buys!!!!

Off to the cinema tonight to see Indiana. DH enjoys these films but I'm not sure quite what I shall make of it...........
    Last edited by susan946; 07-07-2008 at 5:08 PM.
  • Diane_239
    well today i only spent £1.00 on some toilet rolls,both the fridge and freezer are full so should be ok for the next few weeks,made the banana cake yesterday which went down a treat and going to have a go at making the hob knobs never been one for baking but this challenge has gave me the will power to have a go.The ve party food photos look great mama67.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge.[200/200]
    Aug Grocery Challenge 200
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 7th Jul 08, 4:31 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,427 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Mama67, I never got piccies of my DD's party, yours look great! Well done!
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • mumzyof2
    Can anyone tell me? I have bought the jus a roll sheets and i have seen the advert for it... now all i need is what can i put in it? I want tomatoes in and also chunks of chicken but what else?
    where can i find a cheap yog maker?
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far 27.67, Live off 4k Spent 330.20 GC 1,200 for 2009 Spent 50.78 PaD so far 650.07
    Debts: L/woods 154.00 C/One PAID O/D 649.90 Next 299.95 O/D PAID Gas 72.60 Electric 155.73 Mum 640.00 Orange 490.32
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 7th Jul 08, 4:44 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    They have Hovis bread mix, normally 75p, on offer at two for 1.50, so a saving of one third. Bought ten packs as we get through quite a bit of it. Only problem is that the shelves are groaning under the weight of all the bulk buys!!!!
    Originally posted by susan946
    Sorry, am i being stupid? usually 75p, on offer @ 2 for 1.50? So, the same unit price as usual then.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 7th Jul 08, 4:47 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    I love the cooler weather also, not enjoying the wet washing hanging all over the place though :rolleyes: , still the clothes horse is free hey .

Jackie x
    Originally posted by jackk
    I have to confess to using a tumble dryer. I know it's not economical or good for the environment but we don't honestly have space to put out a clothes horse - no room to swing a cat here! :rolleyes:
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,748Posts Today

7,376Users online

Martin's Twitter