Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 52
  • Leopardlady
    Well i am feeling a little down, having had a operation on both my knees on friday afternoon, but it has meant i have not spent anything since the start of July!

My oh did go and buy fish and chips for us both on thursday night, so that is the £5.60 spend this month.
    I don't think we need much this week, in fact cant think of anything just yet, oh except the chocolate and coke i would love to have today to help me feel better.

But oh well i will have to make do with a small slice of chocolate cake my mother brought over on saturday.

Keep smiling everyone you are all doing so well and helping me stay on track.
    Thanks
    Leopardlady
    Got married on the 26th April 08!!!!!!!

Bumpy Bean was due 20th Nov 2010, born 15th Nov
    • fedupnow
    • By fedupnow 7th Jul 08, 10:47 AM
    • 912 Posts
    • 2,280 Thanks
    fedupnow
    *sigh*

Had lots of problems in June which meant a change in priorities. A family member being very very sick and needing my time to care for them meant that I spent lots on takeaways and fuel and generally everything in my budget went completely to pot. I don't begrudge a penny as it meant I was of help and comfort at the end of their life but it does mean I need to dip into savings to pay this months bills. So.... a determined effort to get back on track this month from me.

Good luck everybody
  • annelouise
    More sun in sunny spain and I'm sat indoors with the blnds down like an ole lady.

Have dropped kids off at school with great healthy packed lunches full of HM goodies and fresh fruits.ds4 has an uniced bun filled with pate as I ran out of icing sugar but he ate 1 for lunch yesterday with tuna mayo so no waste there then.
    Been to gym ,busy drinking my body weight in water and have 1/2 mug of chicken and celery soup to hand 1/2 of which I gave to my neighbour as he has had a dental emergency - not good.

HM fishcakes and chips for tea then,roast beef & yorkies tomorrow and I'll make extra or mini toadies to freeze whilst oven is on.Need to top my bounty slice/bar well before the kids come home from school it is a great fave now.What vits/minerals does coconut have anyone?????

NSD for me even though I've been to the post office twice with ebay parcels and drove past 2 supermarkets I'm keeping my cents in my purse.

Keeping diluted fresh juices in a jug in the fridge 39c for 1 1/2 litres that is then made up to over 2litres cheaper than squash and healthier and diluting my milk for cafe con leche but had a disaster with watering down m uht milk so will only dilute when I buy fresh - not very often.I also keep lots of small refilled bottles of water in as with 3 kids I find them everywhere and is handy to pop in bag/car/hand for when we pop out.

Have a good day everyone,must go and do some repairs on a couple of ebay items before I list them.

annelouise

Kids break up Thursday so will bake bread,iced buns,twinks and cakes in rotation as I need to refridgerate most items as it is so hot and icing/chocolate melts.
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • susan946
    • By susan946 7th Jul 08, 11:04 AM
    • 498 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    susan946
    *sigh*

Had lots of problems in June which meant a change in priorities. A family member being very very sick and needing my time to care for them meant that I spent lots on takeaways and fuel and generally everything in my budget went completely to pot. I don't begrudge a penny as it meant I was of help and comfort at the end of their life but it does mean I need to dip into savings to pay this months bills. So.... a determined effort to get back on track this month from me.

Good luck everybody
    Originally posted by fedupnow
    Sorry to hear of sickness in the family, hope the person is getting better now. What an angel you are . Sometimes you just have to drop everything and do what needs to be done.

I'm sure you'll get back into the thrifty habit and be back on track. Good Luck
    • philsmum
    • By philsmum 7th Jul 08, 11:08 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    philsmum
    Hello everyone, what a horrible day, started to clean out all kitchen cupboards but now my knees are killing me, just having a little break, made the muffins this morning I used some fresh peaches that were looking a bit wrinkly, they peeled easily, also made carrot & coriander soup for lunch. Taking notice of Mr Brown I wonder what he is having for lunch.
    Had to spend 2.00 on milk today, offer at the very cold shop 2 for 2
    Hope everyone has a nice day.
    Debt free from April 2012
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 7th Jul 08, 11:27 AM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    Well I've been busy today doing loads of washing, cleaned the kitchen floor, have the ironing to do after I take DS back to preschool.
    I'll get some fish out for tea I think and I've a loaf of bread in the oven right now. Was going to make some twinks but shall do that later when I'm cooking tea. I thought the headache had gone this morning but it seems to be coming back slowly so I may have to get more paracetamol down my neck!
    NSD hopefully here. TTFN peeps!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT 92727.75 49395.47 43332.28 repaid 100.77% of 43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt 52856.59 6316.14 46540.45 repaid 101.17% of 46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my 6316.14 0 mortgage debt. 6316.14 100% repaid.
  • tq16
    Hi Guys,

NSD planned for today, am up early enough to pack myself up for work so should be nsd there too! Things going back to normal now MIL and FIL gone !!!! YAY!

Orkney star - You can do it, it will be anightmare at the new tesco!!!!!! there tried for you did that work?
    Floxie - welcome, feel free to ask any questions and let us know any tips/recipes you find on the way. AngelNikki has been taking care of us in Mrs M's absence (thanks angelnikki and prayers are with you Mrs M) you will need to put your amount for the month in red so that it can be added to the first page like the rest of us. I am sure you will get the hang of it.
    TQ16 - good to see you again hun, its nice to clean the cupboards, tiring whilst doing it but empowering dont you think?

Have a great GC day. DINK1
    Originally posted by dink1
    Dink1 - It felt really empowering, can't believe how tidy they are now I can actually see everything thats in them :-)

Any oat bran receipes anyone?????????
    (Family of 5: 2 adults & 3 children aged 7yrs, 4yrs, and 18months)
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 7th Jul 08, 11:48 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Hope you've not gone to MrT OrkneyStar !! If you wait til later in the week to go there will be loads of whoopsies as they normally overstock when they open. So resist the temptation for now. You can do it!

Does anyone have a quick gingerbread recipe ? or something similar that I could make ?
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    My recipe for gingerbread is upstairs and DS is having his nap so cant go get it but here's my recipe for gingerbread men. It makes loads aswell and my DS(21 months) loves them even though they are quite spicy.

Gingerbread Men

450g plain flour
    2tsp ground ginger
    1tsp ground mixed spice (you can miss this out and just use ginger as this makes them quite spicy)
    2tsp bicarb of soda
    115g butter
    100g golden syrup
    115g light muscavado sugar
    1 beaten egg

Mix flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarb in a large bowl.
    Melt the butter, golden syrup & sugar in a pan and then pour onto the dry mix.
    Add the beaten egg and mix to form a dough.
    Roll out to 3mm thickness, cut out shapes and cook for 15-20 mins Gas6 until golden brown.
    Decorate with icing (optional)

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 16-07-2008 at 2:13 PM.
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 7th Jul 08, 11:49 AM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,518 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good afternoon all

just off to make some twinks hobnobs and a few iced buns

hope everything goes well

talk soon
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• busy mum
    Do not go
    OrkneyStar DO NOT go to Tesco's
    JULY G/C 50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = 69.50

WEEK 2 = 60.83
    Week 3 72.05
  • smetf
    Hi all
    Having read messages last night and now I think i have caught up!!
    Hope my signature update has worked MSE being very slow for me at the mo.
    Am trying not to stress about the budget- pub meals and takeaways do add lots but seems silly to leave them out and I don't have a personal spends budget. Need one I think!
    Lovely weekend away though and the twinks hobnobs I took with me a big hit
    Came home with rocket and courgettes from garden too so a few menu adjustments coming up!
    Planning a small shop instead of big Tesco order this week to keep costs down, hoping to fit it in between dd waking up from sleep and the school run!
    Have sad apricots and some chopped up mango to use so might try some muffins with those.
    Happy GC this week everyone
    Smetf

• OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 7th Jul 08, 12:41 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hope you've not gone to MrT OrkneyStar !! If you wait til later in the week to go there will be loads of whoopsies as they normally overstock when they open. So resist the temptation for now. You can do it!

My recipe for gingerbread is upstairs and DS is having his nap so cant go get it but here's my recipe for gingerbread men. It makes loads aswell and my DS(21 months) loves them even though they are quite spicy.

Gingerbread Men

450g plain flour
    2tsp ground ginger
    1tsp ground mixed spice (you can miss this out and just use ginger as this makes them quite spicy)
    2tsp bicarb of soda
    115g butter
    100g golden syrup
    115g light muscavado sugar
    1 beaten egg

Mix flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarb in a large bowl.
    Melt the butter, golden syrup & sugar in a pan and then pour onto the dry mix.
    Add the beaten egg and mix to form a dough.
    Roll out to 3mm thickness, cut out shapes and cook for 15-20 mins 160C/ 325F/ Gas6 until golden brown.
    Decorate with icing (optional)

Nikki
    x
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Hi, No am still here Although postie been and he did not bring any of the things I was hoping he might ....oh well thats another excuse to stay in until at least lunch time tomorrow lol. Thanks for the gingerbread recipe, might just do that in a bit cos we'd all love them me thinks. I also have a set of very wacky cutters that I bought from Lakeland ages ago so might even make some Gingerbread assorted shapes mmmmmmm.
    Tara for now. x
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 7th Jul 08, 12:44 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Dink1 - It felt really empowering, can't believe how tidy they are now I can actually see everything thats in them :-)

Any oat bran receipes anyone?????????
    Originally posted by tq16
    Is oat bran anything like porridge oats ?
    I have a BM recipe that uses porridge oats.
    Would need to type it though so will wait to see if you want it or not.
  • nessquic80
    Annelouise, i remenber you metioned sometime ago about choc krispie cakes( i think) did they have marsh mellows in them,( i hope it was you ......)if so can you give me the recipe.
    Been to mr t this am and got the things in the home baking section, you know the silver ball decs and sugar strands etc and the noticed a lady picking up the pre mixed bread.........(was that some here???) any way she was buying it for the kids to make when i noticed that the hovis granary was 38p a pkt,the lady was telling me that the bakery bread had gone up in price and the quality down and she found that the pre mixed pkts were better value for money!! Got home and made the banana cake and choc krispie cakes with ds. Tea tonight is spag bol(jar bought ) with whoopised mince value spag and offer on garlic bread!!
    I was telling my auntie about freezing left over stuff and freezing sarnies and all the MES ideas WE use and she told me that at 28 i ought to get a life, i felt quite offended, well it isnt me who throws out loads of food each week now is it??If it saves me a few pounds, so what!
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!

• scotsaver
    mandy_moo_1 - congrats to your DD on her 18th.

victory - wlecome back - glad the move went well.

dink1 - well done on surviving the in-laws!!

busy mum - I too stash away pressies throughout the year for Birthdays/Xmas but never thought to keep a listof what I have and the price and do sometimes find things I forgot I had so I think that's a brilliant idea.

Leopardlady -hope you are soon feeling better after the OP.

Well, using up the contents of both Freezers is still going well. Had roast Pork yesterday and enough leftover to have Curry tonight. Today I have made some of those Iced Buns, they look great, waiting for them to cool and shall ice them after the School Run. Also made some Cheesy Biscuits for the kids Lunchboxes as used the last of the Cheese Straws this morning. The sun is trying to come out now after the heavy rain earlier - at least I won't need to water Garden/Pots tonight, have just been in the Greenhouse to water Tomatoes.

Picked up a tip on the "ways to save pennies" thread a while back and it has worked so thought I would mention it on here as some people include Toiletries in their GC total - I do and it has helped. Basically you dispense your Shampoo/Conditioner and Shower Gel into Pump bottles and that way the kids use a lot less and so it goes further. I used empty Hand Soap Pumps that I bought when they were BOGOF and been doing this for a while and it has made a huge difference. Can't say how much I have saved because don't know how long bottles used to last but I know I am buying a lot less often.HTH

Welcome to all the Newbies and hugs to those that may need them - MRSMC - still thinking of you and your family.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 7th Jul 08, 1:03 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,518 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    hi there guys

got my iced buns on the go looking forward to them
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• mummygems
    • By mummygems 7th Jul 08, 1:06 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    I just used the mysupermarket thingy as I felt that our weekly MrT shop had gone up a lot. I am really surprised to find that MrS is actually coming in cheaper than MrT AND MrA! I even did it 3 times to make sure. Everything was like for like including the weight if items so I know its not a mistake. My mum always swears by MrS but I always felt it was too expensive. Might try one weekly shop at MrS and see whether or not I will make a saving.

Just thought I would mention it as it might help other people with their shopping.

I have 50 left of my budget this month (finishes on 20th) which isnt too bad and I really hope to stick to it. Had to buy a lot more cake decorating bits than I had planned for for my attempt at DD1's birthday cake (which turned out great!) so although this was included in this month's budget there is plenty in the cupboard now to last a few months.
    • craftingqueen
    • By craftingqueen 7th Jul 08, 1:10 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    craftingqueen
    Goodafternoon everyone, weather is very bad here.All washinng done until kids are home from school, feeling guilty as i've put one load on the airer,but the other two loads have had to go in the dryer. Hoping to get another airer this week so that will help,lol.
    Hubby came home with some of the decorations which are cheap at tesco at the moment which i was pleased to see after making icebuns with my youngest daughter yesterday we where running low.
    Curry chicken and rice tonight my kids and hubby will love it,they love any thing spicey. Oooh dear more rain good for our allotment though.

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 7th Jul 08, 1:19 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi everyone. Today is my 3rd NSD in a row (that is a NSD regarding the grocery challenge - I did go to town this morning to pick up some dry-cleaning!)but didn't go into any food shops so I am feeling pretty pleased about that.

The beef I did yesterday in the slow cooker was lush, and there's enough to slice for OH and me tonight with the leftover gravy and some of the veg which I will reheat in the mw - only have to make some mash.

Absolutely pouring down here today, so no chance of getting out in the garden. I won't need to buy any food until Thursday when I do my Sainsbury's shop hopefully!

Am going to start on cleaning out my kitchen cupboards - I need to rationalise them and make some space.

Hope you are all having a good day.

M
    • jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 7th Jul 08, 1:22 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    Loving the weather!
    Sorry, guys but yet again I'm in my element in this weather - I LOVE IT!

Luckily my little one loves it too and we had a great time splashing the puddles. Cannot bring myself to use the abbreviation for little one as in teaching terms LO means learning objective and my lovely daughter is not that!!!

However, I'm feeling a bit annoyed with myself as I've spent more than I intended at all. Went out and got my little one some clothes, wellies and toys which although she needs the clothes and wellies she doesn't need the toys. She's loving Fifi at the moment and so I got her a Fifi doll. My husband said he'd give me the money as it was his idea to get her one but it's still money spent. :rolleyes: Ahh, well. Live and learn. I just wish I'd learnt earlier before I got myself into debt.

I did manage to get one bargain - Clarks are doing a 50% or more sale and as my little one's feet have gone up a size again I managed to get her her shoes at a fraction on the cost. One pair was 10 reduced from 32 and the other pair was 5 reduced from 16. So, at least that was money that had to be spend otherwise she'd be running around bare foot!

I'll stop my rambling and continue to enjoy this weather whilst it lasts.
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,991Posts Today

8,293Users online

Martin's Twitter