Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 49
    • scaredy cat
    • By scaredy cat 6th Jul 08, 7:35 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    scaredy cat
    just did a tally up of twinks - i got about 55 - i made them small for dds as they would still want 2 each time. But to be on the safe side will still count them as 100 cals or i'd be liable to eat 2 and still count as 100!!

my spelling is so awful - used to be good when i still used my brain!! although managing this money is far mroe challenging!
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 6th Jul 08, 7:39 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    just did a tally up of twinks - i got about 55 - i made them small for dds as they would still want 2 each time. But to be on the safe side will still count them as 100 cals or i'd be liable to eat 2 and still count as 100!!

my spelling is so awful - used to be good when i still used my brain!! although managing this money is far mroe challenging!
    Originally posted by scaredy cat
    I must have a good look at recipes as I never know what ur all on about.

I don't think I ever had a brain doh
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • scaredy cat
    • By scaredy cat 6th Jul 08, 7:47 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    scaredy cat
    I must have a good look at recipes as I never know what ur all on about.

I don't think I ever had a brain doh
    Originally posted by Herewegoagain
    you in dorset? I'm in devon perhaps its the sea air!!
    • Blairweech
    • By Blairweech 6th Jul 08, 7:50 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    Blairweech
    Made two boiled fruit cakes mil took one home with her also made 3 rolls of cookie mix for the freezer so I can just cook them as wanted rather than them eat the whole lot!
    Originally posted by huxley
    What cookie recipe do you use? I have tried doing the 'freezing dough into a roll' thing before, but when I tried to slice it, it just got squashed and fell apart!

I have put my gammon joint in the slow cooker with some apple juice. I hope it turns out nice. Except I just realised I put I on at about...7, on Low - so if I want it on for eight hours, I will have to get up in the middle of the night to turn it off.
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 6th Jul 08, 7:53 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    you in dorset? I'm in devon perhaps its the sea air!!
    OMG we're going rusty what'll I do save me S.C
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • philsmum
    • By philsmum 6th Jul 08, 7:54 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    philsmum
    Hi.
    Hope this is the correct way to join in the grocery challenge. It is my first post but have been reading all your fabulous post over last couple of days, not long retired so now need to watch the pennies,pounds and everything else.
    I would like to manage on £40. 00 per week for OH and myself.
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 6th Jul 08, 8:01 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Welcome Philsmum, just stick around and you'll pick up lots all newbies welcome thats where we all started didn't we xx
    • scaredy cat
    • By scaredy cat 6th Jul 08, 8:04 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    scaredy cat
    OMG we're going rusty

• huxley
    cookie dough
    The cookie dough I make is 6oz margarine (i use block margarine), 4oz sugar and 8oz SR flour, mix it all together add cherries or choc chips, divide into two and roll into sausage shapes, then I keep it in the fridge or freezer. slice it when I want them and cook at 160 (mine is a fan oven) for about 12-15 mins until slightly golden.
    Last edited by huxley; 07-07-2008 at 8:26 PM. Reason: oops didnt say what flour sorry
    • scaredy cat
    • By scaredy cat 6th Jul 08, 8:07 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    scaredy cat
    Re strawberry muffins - can i make them using slightly ok quite abit squidgy raspberries?
  • Sunny Donny
    Well I have the tennis on in the background, have a crick inmy neck - it has taken me hours to read 4 pages!!!!
    NSD today, but went to Sainsbugs yesterday for cabbage and a few bits and spent£7.00. Local shop has special offer - buy Daily Mail and get 2l of milk half price. As only buy a paper Saturday and Sunday, got the milk and it is now in the freezer for when I need it later in the month.
    Am MIL favourite Daughter in Law as she loves the Twink, coleslaw and Russian Salad I made for the party yesterday.
    Have offered to take some round the next time I make them.
    Have given Twinks recipe to 12 people at the party. All 200 I made went by the end of the night!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANKYOU THANK YOU.
    Tomorrow is Doggy bag Indian from the 28th June which is sat in the freezer. Just got to add starter and naan bread and a full meal for me and OH.
    Will read the posts every day and am hoping for NSD til Thursday if possible.
    Best wishes to all newbies and those who aren't feeling too good at the mo.
    Just stopped raining here again so hopefully a better day tomorrow.
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
    • Ches
    • By Ches 6th Jul 08, 8:10 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 10,371 Thanks
    Ches
    Only spent £1.90p on tea and a slice of cake at a craft fair and that came out of my personal spending budget not the grocery one so really another NSD again for me. Think I may have to join a challenge for the personal spending as that has already bust the budget and I still have 3 weeks to go.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot.
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 6th Jul 08, 8:11 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,864 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    I think I will have to make some twinks as every body seems to be amking them and saying how good they are,,,,,,,, but no good for weightwatchers as you say will freeze them
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 6th Jul 08, 8:27 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    ***Put your feet up ith some boiled lemonade, sounds funny but my mum swears by it and even if it doesn't work, its lovely and you get to put your feet up.
    On the tight week front, now you can be really inventive to get through and you know you can do it. What we all need is free foods from nature but I expect you know more than me hon
    Love hugs and cuddles to you (don't know how to get them funny little ones you all use And don't know why my bit has come out in the middle of your bit.) God I'n rubbish ****
    Thanks HWGA, still feeling bleugh but haven't done a thing all day exept lay on the sofa - managed to watch the motor racing and doctor who again between sleeps
    Didn't go to sisters as I would have just been sweating in a corner passing on my germs so just sent DD & DS with my Mum (sister lives in Aylesford, Kent) - aparently they had a great time and even got to swim (she has one of those 12' pools) when the sun came out as it was really warm then!
    Sent hubby out with £5 to get me some cold & flu capsules but didn't get any change , but might get him to bring some lemonade home with him, as he's just had to pop out. we should be fine until Friday, it's just if he has to go any distance for work - it was Wales last week - as they don't get given money for diesel, just paid 'radius' in their wages, but that's not until friday week, as it is a week in hand, so will have to be quite ingenious I think (we budget £60 a week for this so should be fine - comes to something when our diesel budget is nearly the same as our food budget )
    Anyway, I will update once he lets me know what he spent. Hope everyone's having a good weekend. x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • perrywinkle
    • By perrywinkle 6th Jul 08, 8:35 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    perrywinkle
    Hi everyone

Just a quickie to update my signature. Stocked up on Lidl bread flour (amongst other things) and also managed at last to get some fresh yeast - thank you Mr T - the baker in the store I went to said that (in Scotland) if the bakers use fresh yeast in the store or the bakers shop etc then they are legally supposed to give a small amount (approx 50g) to anyone who asks and not charge for this - not sure if this is true but he was very obliging. He also said that in some of their other branches it was more likely that they did not bake from scratch in store but just finished off products and therefore did not have fresh yeast as only the larger stores has enough space for a full bakery.

HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • Tesco-shopper
    Please put me down for this month
    Hi, I have been run off my feet and have only just put down the final amount in the June grocery challenge - I nearly made it!

Please will you put me down for £300 for July. Thanks.

• SAV3R
    Hiya I'vegot some strawberries I froze will they be ok in this recipe
    HWGA x
    Yes, the original recipe said you can use frozen berries, although I haven't tried yet, it says to cook for 4-5 mins longer. I have frozen fruit to use later in the year, so that we may have these all year round.
  • SAV3R
    Re strawberry muffins - can i make them using slightly ok quite abit squidgy raspberries?
    I have used fruit when it is borderline to eat, just check carefully and discard any you wouldn't eat anyway. If I have used fruit like this I only keep what we will eat that day or the next, the rest I freeze. HTH
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 6th Jul 08, 9:13 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Yes, the original recipe said you can use frozen berries, although I haven't tried yet, it says to cook for 4-5 mins longer. I have frozen fruit to use later in the year, so that we may have these all year round.
    Originally posted by SAV3R
    Thanks Sav3r,
    all info gratefully recieved
    Also got rasberries which I should think was also ok but got loads of gooseberries what about them, if yes would you treat them in the same way as the strawberries or would have to sweeten and cook them up 1st
    Sorry to be a pain, but if you don't ask you don't know.
    Thanks again
    HWGA xx
  • SAV3R
    Herewegoagain - Haven't tried Gooseberries, no one else in our house will eat them. As the muffins already have sugar in, adding more may make them too sweet. However, have never eaten gooseberries without them being stewed with sugar. Maybe mix with another fruit to take away the sharpness? Sorry, can't really help.

PS Just searched for gooseberry muffins and found this;

http://eatdrinklive.typepad.com/eat_drink_live/2007/06/always_a_gooseb.html

HTH
    Last edited by SAV3R; 06-07-2008 at 9:22 PM. Reason: to add link
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,812Posts Today

7,333Users online

Martin's Twitter