Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 47
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 6th Jul 08, 2:03 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    well i just mad MrsM's tortillas, (recipes index page one of this thread) and they are fab! i can't believe they are so easy to make!!!!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• teedy23
    • By teedy23 6th Jul 08, 2:04 PM
    • 2,044 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    teedy23
    Angchris, your not sad and old at all. You have a lot more Saturday night,s ahead. You are just making sure you have some money to spend when you do hit the hotspots, and not spending it all on food.
    I myself was out getting legless.
    Dabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
    • jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 6th Jul 08, 2:07 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    Well, I must be the odd one out as I absolutely love this rainy weather. Last summer was just the way I like it - rain, wind and cool. :confused: I'm afraid I hate the sun and the summer weather. If it gets above 17 degrees Celsius I'm a right grump! So, sorry ladies and gentlemen I will be continuing to do my rain dance for more rain!!! Friends and family have always said I'm contrary.

Was heading for a NSD but DH complained that he never gets fed properly at the weekend as I refuse to do lunch when we're having a big dinner. So, he said he would treat us to a meal at Sainsbury's in their cafe. When we were out we also popped into a bookstore and they had the Fifi DVD that I've been trying to find for my little girl. So, I bought it. :rolleyes: I don't usually let her watch telly during the day but she really loves Fifi (even though she's only 18 months old!) and at the weekend she gets to watch some kiddy TV.
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.
    • angchris
    • By angchris 6th Jul 08, 2:50 PM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 2,221 Thanks
    angchris
    Angchris, your not sad and old at all. You have a lot more Saturday night,s ahead. You are just making sure you have some money to spend when you do hit the hotspots, and not spending it all on food.
    I myself was out getting legless.
    Originally posted by teedy23
    thanks... but what has my life come to when at 7pm on a sat eve oh and i look at each other say "im bored lets go bargain shopping"how romantic is that?!!!
    this grocery challenge malarky is turning me into a right old miser, my friends must think im a right hermit now:rolleyes:
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance!
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 6th Jul 08, 3:00 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    oh and can anyone remember where the strawberry muffin recipe was? have half a punnet lurking in the fridge and i think i'd rather use them up then waste them.
    tia
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• roxy7699
    • By roxy7699 6th Jul 08, 3:01 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 8,964 Thanks
    roxy7699
    After posting a NSD on friday I got a call from a friend who needed to stock up for a party on saturday, only spent £5 myself and Im quite proud of that. Was out for dinner on saturday night but that was a pre planned dinner party. Hopefully today will be a NSD as I have no intention of leaving the house. Have a good day everybody, as rainy as it is.
  • annelouise
    angchris

Why not plan a MSE drinks party / dinner party with all the top tips off here and get people to bring a dish each and a bottle each once a month and then you spend time cheaply with people you like and not dint the budget too much.

I always find that I have more left over or bottles not drunk that its worth the tidy up afterwards.

Think about it????

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • craftingqueen
    • By craftingqueen 6th Jul 08, 3:09 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    craftingqueen
    I found this for strawberry muffins, not tried but will now lol.

280g Plain flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    100g white sugar
    1 egg
    240ml milk
    85g butter, melted
    140g strawberries cut into pieces (or Blueberries / raspberries)

1. In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder & salt, stir in sugar. Leave to one side.
    2. Beat egg in another bowl, stir in milk, then melted butter.
    3. Pour wet ingreditents into dry, stir until just combined. Gently fold in berries careful not to crush fruit.
    4. Spoon into muffin cases / tray. Bake for 20-25 mins. Muffins are done when tops are lightly browned and spring back when pressed gently.

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 6th Jul 08, 3:10 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    thanks... but what has my life come to when at 7pm on a sat eve oh and i look at each other say "im bored lets go bargain shopping"how romantic is that?!!!
    this grocery challenge malarky is turning me into a right old miser, my friends must think im a right hermit now:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by angchris
    I'd think it was great if oh listend and agreed to come looking with me, h'd just say "if it's knocked down then it must be rubbish" Little does he know what goes in the kitchen

But lucky ol you, I haven't found anything as cheap as you, can't get out at the best times doh, but I'll keep trying. Keep up the good work
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 6th Jul 08, 3:13 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    angchris

Why not plan a MSE drinks party / dinner party with all the top tips off here and get people to bring a dish each and a bottle each once a month and then you spend time cheaply with people you like and not dint the budget too much.

I always find that I have more left over or bottles not drunk that its worth the tidy up afterwards.

Think about it????

annelouise
    Originally posted by annelouise
    This sounds like a great idea and can't wait to try it x
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • Blairweech
    • By Blairweech 6th Jul 08, 3:18 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    Blairweech
    Spent £2 on milk ( got the 2 for £2 offer at Tesco) Will go and update sig.
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 6th Jul 08, 3:24 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    thank you CQ, will make them after the tennis C'mon FEDERER!!!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    !!

• KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 6th Jul 08, 3:26 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,859 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Good afternoon everybody

got my specs and can see the computer with them,, I could not see it with the others,, I had to get right up to the screen to look through my bi-focal,, which they said was too strong,, these are just right,,

just went to specsavers and to get petrol and straight home ,, no spend ant where else,,, arent I a good girl
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• SAV3R
    oh and can anyone remember where the strawberry muffin recipe was? have half a punnet lurking in the fridge and i think i'd rather use them up then waste them.
    tia
    Originally posted by ifonlyitwaseasier
    Hi, I posted my strawberry muffin recipe on the June GC, Can't do the Link thing, (if anyone can explain please, I would be grateful) so here it is again;

280g Plain flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    100g white sugar
    1 egg
    240ml milk
    85g butter, melted
    140g strawberries cut into pieces (or Blueberries / raspberries)

1. In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder & salt, stir in sugar. Leave to one side.
    2. Beat egg in another bowl, stir in milk, then melted butter.
    3. Pour wet ingreditents into dry, stir until just combined. Gently fold in berries careful not to crush fruit.
    4. Spoon into muffin cases / tray. Bake for 20-25 mins. Muffins are done when tops are lightly browned and spring back when pressed gently.

HTH

Oops, should have read to the end, I see someone has already posted while I was trying to be clever. LOL
    Last edited by SAV3R; 06-07-2008 at 3:47 PM. Reason: to add an oops
  • gillaman
    Hi everyone. First time post. I'd like to join the July challenge please, but not sure how it all works. Do I have to do anything else other than send this post? I'm retired, get pension 4 weekly. Looks like I'm spending £36/£144 per week/4 weeks at the moment, not including dog food and odds and ends, do my shopping fortnightly. Would like to get down to £120 per 4 weeks so will try for £135 now starting 16th, i.e. £67.50. How do you get the line under your message with a note of your spending? Thanks in advance.
    • angchris
    • By angchris 6th Jul 08, 3:46 PM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 2,221 Thanks
    angchris
    angchris

Think about it????

annelouise
    Originally posted by annelouise
    that does sound like a very good idea, will give it a go as some of my friends are struggling a bit at the moment as well.
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance!
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 6th Jul 08, 3:48 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    earthmother
    Afternoon all - just in for my end of week update.

I've done some bulk buying, so as usual week one looks high - I've spent £143.09 so far, which leaves me with roughly £55 a week for the rest of the month - should be fine.

DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
    • susan946
    • By susan946 6th Jul 08, 4:14 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 5,254 Thanks
    susan946
    Well, rain has interrupted the tennis - how frustrating's that??? If the shower they get is anything like the one we've just had they'll be off court for a while.

Just made a batch of Jammy Buns. It's my grandmother's recipe and she always said they were something her mother made. Since my great grandmother was born in 1856, I guess it goes back a few years. Wonder where she got it from..............
  • cookiedough38
    gillaman - welcome to mse, I am fairly new too, but quickly hooked! If you find the part on your page which says 'welcome, gillaman' and go along to private messages, click on there, then on the far left it says 'edit signature' you can add what you have spent in there. Hope that helps and wasnt too long winded!

I have had a fairly good day today, filled my car up for the month. Then went to my mums for roast dinner which was lovely. I then asked her if I could take on her chicken carcass! I promised her some chicken soup in return!
    Debt free wannabe
    Littlewoods - £214.82 (DD set up so 0%)
    Very - £100 (0% on BNPL - 1/4/13)
    CC - £2600/£3533.53 (0% until 1/6/14)
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 6th Jul 08, 4:22 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    thank sav3r, i just went to make them and my strawberries had gone too far am going to try them with nectarines instead
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    !!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter