Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 44
    • jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 5th Jul 08, 8:20 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    This has probably been answered already, but when I was buying stuff for the school cooking club got alot of things from Mr T & Mr S. as werereasonably priced cheap.
    Originally posted by mama67
    Thanks for the advice.
    I actually bought three baking trays today from Morrisons for £2.99. Thought this was quite reasonable. Well, when I say I bought what I mean to say is my DH bought as he bought it home after popping out to get some small bits we'd run out of that we need for our little girl to eat. So, I'm not including it in my spend.
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.
    • jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 5th Jul 08, 8:22 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    You'll love Doctor Who!!!
    I saved last week's espisode so I could watch them both together.
    Have a great night everyone!! Just about to tuck into my mum's apple crumble with some of our garden raspberries and strawberries with creme fraiche.
    SFT
    Originally posted by savingfortravel
    I know it's off topic but you're right Doctor Who was fantastic. I love David Tennant - although I didn't like him before he was the Doctor!
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.
  • fertyskids
    angelatgraceland - thanks for that i'll give it a try ive got sausages in the outside freezer. can i have the reciepe please?

i found 2 lots of large freezer bags for £1 each, had 2. also some scouring pads, i had run out. total spend £3. had hoped for a NSD but they were a good bargain. i will need milk and washing up liquid tommorow but nothing else.

i did roast chicken for dinner. i have half the meat left, has anyone got a reciepe for chicken casserole please?

i also made some biscuits and twinks hobnobs WOW!!!! ive eaten loads, and banned the kids from them.... im goimng to get huge. wil let the kids eat some for luches as a great lunchbox treat. do they freeze well?

i still feel a bit worried about doing this especially with 9 to feed each night from monday onwards but have to keep possitive.
    thanks to all of you.
    karen
    Last edited by fertyskids; 05-07-2008 at 8:43 PM.
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 5th Jul 08, 8:51 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    KAAT LADY I grow those squashes and use them just as I would courgettes. Hope that helps.

More nonspending for em, but I think it's cheating when you stay home because youre hungover LOL.
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 5th Jul 08, 8:56 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    Updated total £51.99 up to now, Netto and a butchers shop added, I'd actually forgotten my cash card, had my list/meal plan and limited cash, but managed to whittle the list down and came home with change, a little more 'imagination' needed but did it. Just thought of things I could use instead etc. I think this might work as a future plan, usually I take out all that I need in cash then use it from that purse for groceries, but in future I might take less of it with me and make myself cut back that way.
    Last edited by lil_me; 05-07-2008 at 9:00 PM.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
    • mumofjusttwo
    • By mumofjusttwo 5th Jul 08, 9:01 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 40,789 Thanks
    mumofjusttwo
    Anne Louise Dr wWho was good wasn't it. Who would have thought that...........................

No I wouldn't do that.

Need to add £60 to my total as have a Mr T delivery coming tomorrow
    January Grocery 11/374
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 5th Jul 08, 9:04 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,864 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    KAAT LADY I grow those squashes and use them just as I would courgettes. Hope that helps.

More nonspending for em, but I think it's cheating when you stay home because youre hungover LOL.
    Originally posted by queen of string

thanks queen of string I knew someone would know if I waited long enough will try them tomorrow
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Ches
    • By Ches 5th Jul 08, 9:29 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 10,371 Thanks
    Ches
    NSD again for me but cheating really as OH bought milk home but didn't want the money back for it.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot.
  • Le Foot
    where would i get a thermos flask from and how much are they? im going to look on amazon in a mo. also could you use tinned fruit instead of fresh? how would i go about mixing bananas in to the yogurt? and anything hard?
    How big of a theroms flask? would 0.5L be enough? or 1 litre?

can you add this to first post too in the recipe bit please niki
    Originally posted by mumzyof2
    Woolworths, Wilkinsons and most supermarkets sell flasks, I've had my stainless steel one for years, so not sure of the exact price, but they are not very expensive. Yes you could use tinned fruit, but I would dab it dry with kitchen paper or it might make the yogurt too sloppy. I mash banana with a fork before adding to the yogurt.
    My flask is 1litre. Go for it gal....it saves £££s if your household eats a lot of yogurt.
    Feb. G.C. From Jan 26th £350.00
    First month..pure guess!! Wk. 1 £136.38 balance £213.62. Wk.2 £108.10p balance £105.52
  • Le Foot
    Woolworths, Wilkinsons and most supermarkets sell flasks, I've had my stainless steel one for years, so not sure of the exact price, but they are not very expensive. Yes you could use tinned fruit, but I would dab it dry with kitchen paper or it might make the yogurt too sloppy. I mash banana with a fork before adding to the yogurt.
    My flask is 1litre. Go for it gal....it saves £££s if your household eats a lot of yogurt.
    Originally posted by Le Foot
    Nikki, sorry but I don't know how to do that, can you tell me.
    First month..pure guess!! Wk. 1 £136.38 balance £213.62. Wk.2 £108.10p balance £105.52
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 5th Jul 08, 9:48 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Nikki, sorry but I don't know how to do that, can you tell me.
    Do you mean adding it it the recipe index on the first page? cos I've already added it. Recipe Index

Nikki
    x
  • Le Foot
    Do you mean adding it it the recipe index on the first page? cos I've already added it. Recipe Index

Nikki
    x
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Yes thats what I meant. Thanks Nikki, but could you tell me how to do it for future.
  • busy mum
    Fish pie recipes
    Please could someone post their fish pie recipe.

Many thanks
    JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50

WEEK 2 = £60.83
    Week 3 £72.05
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 5th Jul 08, 10:08 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Yes thats what I meant. Thanks Nikki, but could you tell me how to do it for future.
    The Recipe Index has been posted by me, which means it's only me that can edit/add to it because people cant edit other peoples posts. Hence Mumzy asking me to add to it.

I did it as an easy way for everyone to find all the wonderful recipes that get posted on this thread. But if I've missed a recipe on here that you'd like to see linked on there or if any of the links dont work let me know and I'll sort it out.

Nikki
    x
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 5th Jul 08, 10:47 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Please could someone post their fish pie recipe.
    Originally posted by busy mum
    Fish Pie

Fish of your choice I use a mix of cod and salmon
    Potatoes, peeled & cubed
    Peas
    Butter/marge
    Corn flour (use plain if you dont have corn flour)
    Milk
    Grated cheese
    Boiled eggs, quartered (optional)
    1. Poach the fish in the milk. It doesn’t matter too much how you cook the fish - I poach the cod and microwave the salmon/ or you could cook all the fish in the oven gas4 for 20mins while the potatoes are boiling. Its up to you but poaching in the milk used for the sauce adds to the flavour.
    2. While the fish is cooking, boil & mash the potatoes.
    3. Reserve the milk for the sauce and flake the fish into your oven dish, adding some peas and the boiled eggs (if using) I think people add eggs when they are just using white fish but I'm not sure cos I dont add them myself
    4. Make a white sauce by melting about a heaped tbsp of butter in a pan, adding a heaped tbsp of flour and cooking off for a min Then gradually add the reserved milk, whisking all the time until thickened. You could add some grated cheese to make a cheese sauce and you can add herbs of your choice to the sauce. I use parsley.
    5. Pour this over the fish & peas and mix in thoroughly.
    6. Top with mashed potato and grated cheese.
    7. Bung in the oven (gas 7) for 20 mins or put it under the grill until the cheese has melted
    Last edited by angelnikki; 19-08-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: flour
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 6th Jul 08, 12:08 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Had quite a productive day, made 1 doz raspberry muffins, 1 doz strawberry muffins and 2 doz fairy cakes. Was going to post a piccie but couldn't work out how.....

Attempted Cornish pasties for tea, they weren't bad for a first go, the pastry stuck even though I greased well, there was also too much mix for the psatry. Recipe made 4, 1 left, not sure what to do, OH could have tomorrow for tea, or was wondering can I freeze, if so what do I need to do when using later, do I thaw then warm? Anyone know please?
    Originally posted by SAV3R
    Well done with all that cooking but I can feel the weight going on just reading your post
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • Sian the Green
    never-ending yoghurt
    Hey all, I found something in my indian cookbook that I thought was good. Take 1litre of milk bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins.
    Pour it into a glass bowl and leave to cool for 40 mins until tepid.
    Take 3 tbsp out and mix with 2tbsp of natural yoghurt and then stir into the rest of the milk.
    Now this is the weird bit, put a tea cosy over the container and leave overnight. In the morning you will have some yoghurt...
    Yogurt will keep for 3 days, then just leave 2 tbsp to make your next lot...

Sounds good if you use a lot of yogurt...
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • mandy_moo_1
    mornin all .............not that it's looking much like july out there!

am off to Mr M's this morning as soon as he opens to see if there are any whoopsies, then its back home to do some baking. its DD's 18th tomorrow (don't know how she can have got to 18 so quickly.....the years really have flown by ) i'm just making some fairy cakes, and a big chocolatey cake so she can have some candles!! she's having a party on friday, so there'll be more baking throughout the week!!

then i've promised to visit a friend who's just got a BM.......he's 78, and just lost his wife, so he's been coming round to visit as he has no family..............anyhoo, do you reckon he's our oldest convert to the MS ways? i'm going to show him how to make a loaf in it before he has a bash at it!!

doesn't look like i'll get much washing done today, so i guess i'll just have to wake DD and DS with the hoover!! hope everyone has a good day xx

• Pip-squeak
    Hi
    First week over and spent £17.37. Quite pleased as that includes a box of wine marked down in Asda to £6.99 and just right for camping next weekend.

Allotment doing well and providing all veg and salad so using money to stock up on store cupboard items as they seem to be going up sooo fast.

Have a good week everyone
    Challenge 2 adults food and household.
    2009 £1214.37
    Target for 2010 £1250
  • Judellie
    Just posting to update sig. Spent a total of £77.51 in various supermarkets over the last 4 days. Total spend now £97.51.

Jude xx
    GC June: £350/405.56
    GC July: £350 spent
    £2299.51
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,748Posts Today

7,376Users online

Martin's Twitter