Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 41
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 5th Jul 08, 10:41 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    it probably cost around £6 for three adults- but would be a lot cheaper if you used fish like hoki and skinned and boned it yourself.
    Originally posted by Moniker
    MrT does frozen value (skinless & boneless) cod portions for £2.72/540g -They're really good (I've never found a bone in them) and have just been rebranded to value as it was just called MrT Cod portions before. They're also cheaper than the Value cod fillets which aren't boneless and are £4.19/700g.

Edit: the value white fish fillets say they are skinless & boneless too -didnt know that - they are £1.95/800g Thanks NYK

*BigBird* Beans freeze fine

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 05-07-2008 at 3:32 PM.
  • sjaypink
    hi everyone, i did venture in halfway through june and was given such a friendly welcome and loads of great advice that im going to try and challenge this month.
    thing is i reckon its going to get too complicated (for me ) to minus out the nappies, formula, washing powder, tin foil, shampoo, anti bac spray........! you know what i mean right? so im going to include my total spend on everything like that too. up until now ive usually spent about £80pw on my big shop, and topped up by about £20 on bread, milk and fruit.

so im going to take the plunge and go for a target of £300 this month!
    spent £65.38 already- it was big shop on tuesday. updating sig now
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 5th Jul 08, 10:45 AM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,423 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Hi folks

Moniker - I make fish pie quite often and have been using the packs of frozen white fish fillets from Mr T or Mr S. Touchwood, I haven't found a bone in this yet and it is a fraction of the cost of other fish. One bag does me at least 4 pies and my home grown parsley (and now also potatoes) means no added costs there either. I make the sauce using powdered milk - that's my frugal fish pie

Haven't spent a penny on anything this week so far, so it's looking good for July. What I don't spend of my £40 per month on top-ups, I'll spend on more bulk purchases so there's absolutely no way of running out of anything.

SJaypink - I include everything in my grocery budget - food, toiletries & cleaning products, so it would probably be much easier to make allowances and include these in your budget, as you suggest. Well done for joining and good luck!
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 05-07-2008 at 10:48 AM.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • jackk
    Hi all, just adding my spends so far to my sig. I hope everyone is having a good July so far.

Jackie x
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 5th Jul 08, 10:53 AM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    morning everyone (just lol) not been up long didnt get to sleep til 4am... couldnt sleep... also found out last min my mates gonna be in town from london so yay!!! miss her loads so will be nice although the weather is poo o well gonna enjoy it anyway hope im strong enough not to over spend wish me luck xxx
    Still searching .....
  • sjaypink
    ok its now on!

feel committed now no more money for sneaky galaxy bars......
    We cannot change anything unless we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. Carl Jung

• Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 5th Jul 08, 11:12 AM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,423 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Cheat's Galaxy
    ok its now on!

feel committed now no more money for sneaky galaxy bars......
    Originally posted by sjaypink
    Next time you visit Mr T, stock up on the own brand milk chocolate and hide it amongst your cooking chocolate. I, oops, I mean someone I know, got 10 bars for £2.30 and it lives in the baking cupboard
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • dink1
    miseraible day ahead!
    Hi GUys,

Feelin under weather today, MIL coming this morning and she is always so critical. I keep saying I dont care but I guess I do. I tripped this morning and looks like I've given myself a blackeye and then its pouring with rain so I cant even excape from MIL with a walk!!!!!

Oh well hope every one is ok, HUGS TO LE FOOT pleased you are a little better.

DInk1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50
    • nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 5th Jul 08, 11:37 AM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for the info annelouise and deniseflower. I do have a 19 month old but was gonna keep his full fat milk seperate from our watered down stuff. Think i'll give it a try as we seem to be going through milk like no ones business. Me and my oh go through 6-8 pints a wk and my little one goes through 6 pints too so i'm roughly spending 19% of my monthly shopping budget just on milk. Really need to cut this down somehow.

Thanks again peeps
    Debt 1 £1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 £2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 £2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 £1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
    • procrastinator
    • By procrastinator 5th Jul 08, 11:42 AM
    • 566 Posts
    • 7,018 Thanks
    procrastinator
    Whoops overspending big time
    Hi
    Have lost my receipt for last weeks shop and didn't post so very cross with myself. Used Tesco Plus card so will see if I can phone for amount. I know I spent over 50 so I will call it 60.00 and adj sig if I get the correct amount.
    Was stupidly bad yesterday. Wanted to ensure spent 50.00 in T so we would get the 5p off petrol, well went completely overboad and spent 81.59. All stuff I will use but never meant to blow the budget quite like that. OH got two printer cartridges 10.00 and I bought some aftersun and other bathroom items which came to over 10.00. Plan now is to walk for next couple of weeks as lots of heavy stuff (tins packets etc) bought so this will save petrol and make us buy less. Total spent so far is 155.78 leaving me 44.22 to end of month. This should be do-able if we are careful. HM lentil and carrot soup for lunch, DD is out so will freeze her portion for later in the week.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 5th Jul 08, 11:57 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys,

Thanks to angelatgracelands That was some great suggestions, will do
    I have found that I spend less when I take mr with me in his wheelchair as he cant carry much and I can only push, it's a struggle but of course, he then want's a cuppa in the cafe, but I still think I save, go more often, get him out and am keeping my weight down, sorted
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 5th Jul 08, 12:18 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,863 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    just popped back in to update siggie

I hope everyone is having a good day
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• mama67
    • By mama67 5th Jul 08, 12:28 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    DS2 just made butter
    Had 200ml od dbl cream left in the pot which needed using up so put into clean golden syrup jar and gave to DS2 he has happily shaken it around whilst watching tv and now we have a snmall pot of buttter and a jar of butter milk to use in the next loaf of bread ( I put milk powder in my bread so this is just as good).

He's a happy little bunny as he loves his toast with proper butter.
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 5th Jul 08, 12:40 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    Angelnikki thanks for the Cheesy Biscuits recipe I got 24 out of it but only got 12 left and my poor DD2 hasn't even had a look in. I think I will have to make some more this afternoon after seeing my sister. I bet her and her 2 DD's will eat the rest.
    GC £7.79/£225 per month ~ wk1 £ 7.79/ £50
    • susan946
    • By susan946 5th Jul 08, 12:42 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    susan946

Edit: the value white fish fillets say they are skinless & boneless too -didnt know that - they are £1.95/800g
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Any idea what sort of fish this is? I love pollock and find things labelled "white fish" are often pollock, which I prefer to cod. I've been trying to get this from the fish counter but they say "there is no call for it" . Well I, for one am calling..........
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 5th Jul 08, 12:53 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    turbo5019 glad you like them I find It's a great recipe for using up any sad bits of cheese. I used only 50g cheese when I made them this week and still got 18. Nomnomnom DS(21 months) & OH love them too.

susan946 It doesnt say but I expect they are pollock as the value white fish in butter sauce is. Will you let us know if you try them? I've got a box of value cod in the freezer at the mo so have to use that up first.

Nikki
    x
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 5th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 27,239 Thanks
    shala_moo
    Sorry probably being a bit thick here... :confused:

Is Activia a live yogurt? I had a voucher for 50p off the other day so bought some low fat natural Activia... it says on the ingredients that it has yogurt cultures... is this what i need???

I don't really eat yogurt but my OH eats 2 Mullerlights a day which starts to add up when they are not on offer, so i'd like to try to make my own!

Thanks
    Actual Mortgage = £166,050£106,955.58
    Mortgage Offset % = 39.23%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036May 2025
    Mortgage Neutral position = £64,993.26 outstanding
    • Blairweech
    • By Blairweech 5th Jul 08, 1:18 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    Blairweech
    A couple of people asked for recipes from me, well here they are

Seven Layer Tortilla Pie is taken straight from Chef House Husband. The recipe itself is now here. He has some great recipes on his site

Creamy Chicken and Potato casserole

2 chicken portions
    2 leeks, sliced
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    2 tblspn plain flour
    450ml chicken stock
    150ml white wine
    50g baby carrots, halved lengthways
    50g baby sweetcorn, halved lengthways
    250g new potatoes
    1 bouquet garni
    75ml double cream

NB: You can use turkey instead of chicken, and vary the vegetables to whatever you have. I just use normal carrots and potatoes chopped up. I've added bacon, mushrooms and brocolli before as well. I also use a pinch of dried herbs instead of a bouquet garni

Fry the chicken until brown, transfer to casserole dish
    Add the leek and garlic to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes
    Add the flour and cook for 1 minute
    Add the stock, wine and seasoning. Bring to the boil
    Add the carrots, sweetcorn, potatoes and herbs
    Transfer it all to the casserole dish. Cover and cook for 1 hour (Gas mark 4, 180C)
    Remove from the oven and add the cream. Return to the oven and cook uncovered for 15 minutes
    If using fresh herbs, remove them and season casserole to taste

I usually have this with rice and more fresh vegetables. It's pretty easy to adapt to a slowcooker, and I usully cook it all in a casserole dish on the hob, then stick it in the oven
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • sjaypink
    Next time you visit Mr T, stock up on the own brand milk chocolate and hide it amongst your cooking chocolate. I, oops, I mean someone I know, got 10 bars for £2.30 and it lives in the baking cupboard
    Originally posted by nykmedia
    i cant do that, dont have the will power!

example; made my first ever quiche last week. huge it was, mse style, plan was i could have a little slice for lunch, then it would be nice for tea with potatoes and salad, then hopefully enough left over for lunchboxes the next day.
    so anyway i made this quiche at about 10am............... i had eaten ALL of it by 4pm i felt sick.

this is my fear of making my own bread and batch cooking! I WILL EAT IT ALL!

any tips on willpower?!
    We cannot change anything unless we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. Carl Jung

• jackiegibbo
    Spent £30.42 in lidls today for the week,is it my imagination or is lidls getting a lot busier:rolleyes:

good luck everyone hope you are all well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

301Posts Today

4,080Users online

Martin's Twitter