Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 40
  • mandy_moo_1
    Hi all. Managed to get a reduced pot of tomato pasta sauce for 51p will go nicely with the meatballs on the menu this month. Have planned out all meals upto the 22nd. The ice buns are delicious. I iced them late last night. I ended up with 21 from the receipe but next time will make them smaller. Has anyone froze them already iced??
    Originally posted by Mrs Money Penny
    i froze mine with the icing on....just make sure the icing is quite thick, and not too runny, then when i take one out of the freezer i put it in the m/w on "defrost" for 30-35 seconds........lovely icing might go a bit runny, but they still taste lish!!

• JAMIEDODGER
    • By JAMIEDODGER 5th Jul 08, 6:53 AM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 18,694 Thanks
    JAMIEDODGER
    bought a few more things yesterday. spent 15.39 in tescos

total now 107.38!!
    #82 12k in 2018 - 3473.45/12000 - 28.95%
    Retirement Fund 10850.02/250000 - 4.34%
    House Fund 2679.13/50000 - 5.36%
    Travel Fund 199.49/2500 - 7.98%
    • taplady
    • By taplady 5th Jul 08, 7:09 AM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    I have spent 3.15 today in netto on dinner stuff for me, my 2 kids, my friend and her DD.

Can i ask? I have put a tesco order in and total came to 86.00, I put a ecoupon in for 9 off a 80 spend..so that took it down to 78. But i have loads of BOGOF's and half price items..so when these do come off its going to bring it to about 50...will they still let me have the 9 off ecoupon?
    Originally posted by mumzyof2

yes you can still use the coupon I think. I have done this and its how much you spend before the offers are taken into account. I hope I am right about this but I'm sure its happened to me. Hope it works out ok!
    Every penny saved is a penny saved
    • susan946
    • By susan946 5th Jul 08, 7:41 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 5,254 Thanks
    susan946
    Hi all
    And is it just me or does anyone else hanker after a pull along trolley?Is there a certain age you must be to have one?:confused: I am 35!
    Originally posted by ladyroughneck
    I saw something on television a few months ago about these trolleys. The suggestion was that they were becoming a fashion statement. Certainly there are a few quite funky designs around. Have I got one? No, but I'm not within walking distance of any shop so unfortunately have to take the car, but would certainly be tempted if we were closer - a trolley would be much cheaper than the cost of the petrol and it would help toward the ten thousand steps we are all supposed to aim for each day!!!
  • busy mum
    Good Morning all,

I was just wondering if you can freeze the weetabix cake, thought I might make another few, slice wrap and freeze, they may last a bit longer,
    as my one I cooked yesterday is nearly all gone
    JULY G/C 50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = 69.50

WEEK 2 = 60.83
    Week 3 72.05
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 5th Jul 08, 7:46 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    morning all,

weathers looking a bit dreary today but i have plenty to keep me busy, have to go babysit this morning, my friend is wedding drerss shopping and then i think i'm going to try making mrsM's tortilla's this evening. need to see if they are as easy as everyone says before my friends come round for dinner next week!

have a good one

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• annelouise
    Morning All,

Have had an early morning call from the "Sleepover Club" this morning collecting planks of wood,bricks and rocks to make a den!!!!!!!!!

So have emptied and rejigged freeze and also this weeks meal plan to use up the majority of the odds n sods so I can bake cakes and buy meat for hols.

Kids had choc croissants and hot chocolate for beakfast,MRSM's twists,hummus,salad and oddments for lunch,dd9 going to friends for her sleepover so dd8 and ds4 will have leftover spag bol,jelly and fruit and popcorn watching DR Who!!!!!!!

Have a shopping list of 5 items I'm toying with *not going*sending kids*going later about 8pm????

Have the onion marmalade I made very successfully last night in 3 jars in fridge,I used brandy instead of white wine and it tastes really nice for pate,cheese,rarebit,sausages,pork pies the list is endless and I am a condiments queen.

annelouise
    Last edited by annelouise; 05-07-2008 at 8:15 AM. Reason: spellings hic
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 5th Jul 08, 8:22 AM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Hoping for another NSD today, really enjoying not spending money for a change Although i'll definately have to cave and go on sunday, before there is a mutiny! Nearly sorted my meal plan for the week, just need to finish writing my list, need a fair bit of householdy stuff this week, but i've been buying Mr T's value stuff and must say i'm pretty impressed! Dishwasher tabs are fab, cling film etc also really good. Havent downshifted fabric cond though, just using alot less. Right need to go tidy my hovel and write my list before i go to work.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • andan
    • By andan 5th Jul 08, 8:36 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 9,902 Thanks
    andan
    Hi all on here. I would like to join your grocery challenge if thats ok. I am looking to spend £120 for the month. Thats for three adults but i only do the cooking half to three quarters of the time as my partner does the cooking the rest of the time and uses his money. I got a big shop yesterday from Tesco's for £83, which should last me a large chunk of the month.
    Live on 4500, 2531/4500 101 in 1001 (52/101)

• mandy_moo_1
    welcome to all the newbies you'll find loads of help and advice on here, but be warned....its very addictive!!

just enjoying a cuppa and an iced bun at the mo i've done all the hwork, and walked the dogs. not planning on going anywhere near any shops today, so for once i'm gonna put me feet up and do a bit of x-stitch as DD18 and DS15 both slept out at friends last night, so i've got the house to myself ( well apart from the dogs of course!!)

hope everyone has a good and thrifty day today xx

• KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 5th Jul 08, 9:08 AM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,859 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    morning all

weather is horrid

just got the cats in as they do not like rain have the BM on to make some proper bread as the 50p loaf from MrA's was horrible it was made so cheaply as was obvious to the texture and taste

DH is just getting upout of bed so will have go now to make his tea

see you soon
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• mama67
    • By mama67 5th Jul 08, 9:12 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    Just logging in to record my spends and to say this book sounds fab so will log off in a minute and do a library catalogue search for it.

Organic delivery today so that was 14-ish. Spent 12 in Morrisons so that's my first 26 of the month. Have food in for the weekend now as well as the remaining pack lunches. Tonight's tea was a veggie stirfry from the glorious veg box. |I get so excited when I come in from work and peek into the garage, where it sits in all its glory. How sad am I??? (no answers)
    w
    Originally posted by wmf
    I had this book from the library and kept renewing it so much that I decided to buy my own copy got it for 6 I think it was off Amazon or Play.com; can't remember which.
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
    • *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 5th Jul 08, 9:13 AM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    Can anyone tell me if bean-based meals freeze OK? Not sure if they'll go mushy :confused: This is the result of my concoction to use up the slightly-out-of-date dried exotic bean mix, which was a success! I used the bag of beans (think it was 500g), soaked overnight then boiled for 10 mins, an onion chopped and fried with some garlic, 3 medium potatoes diced, 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, a squirt of tomato puree, some dried basil and oregano, salt & pepper to taste. Bunged the whole lot in the slowcooker, topped up with veg stock. Left it on low all day, but had to turn it up for the last hour as the potatoes weren't fully cooked. And it was delicious Had some for tea last night (OH liked it so much he had 2 helpings) with HM bread rolls made from the recipe on here a little while back

Anyway, there are 3 servings left, which will be ideal for taking to work as lunches, so I'd like to freeze them.

Have got some carrots starting to look a little sad in the fridge, so am going to have a bash at carrot and coriander soup later.

Also managed to get me some Stardrops. Brought the grubby, greasy marks of the catflap in no time! Tho one of the puss cats had a sniff and is now looking at the catflap suspiciously and refusing to go out But, that could be down to the fact that it's blowing a gale outside, rather than the fact that his catflap is now fresh and fragrant
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
    • penguin83
    • By penguin83 5th Jul 08, 9:16 AM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 13,105 Thanks
    penguin83
    Morning all. Have been to Sainsburys and spent 103.44 but that was without nappies or washing powder so will need to go again on Tuesday for more. Will attempt to make a shopping list this time to cut down on the visits I have to make because I have forgotten things!

Have a great Saturday everyone. x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
    • PetitePeche
    • By PetitePeche 5th Jul 08, 9:40 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    PetitePeche
    I've done really well upto day 5 of my first GC. Spent 1.22 in total up to now (value coleslaw for sandwiches for both of us for work, and some chicken livers for a cheap and tasty meal - fried up with onion, frozen spinach and some dried chilli seeds - served with mash).

Up to a few weeks ago OH would spend approx 3 per day on his lunch - he's saved a fortune with me making his sandwiches!

Had stuff left over from my last June shop but I'm not counting that. I've planned a menu for the next week but at the moment I'm struggling with balancing healthy diet food for me with cheap meals for all of us. Last night we had haggis, mashed potatoes and mashed carrot and swede which wasn't very slimming but fed us for about 3.00 in total.

PP
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 5th Jul 08, 10:09 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Playing catchup
    Hi everyone, have just managed to catch up on all the posts. DD1 came home yesterday and has just popped out to visit a friend so I have a few mins to myself (OH is working). I made fishcakes yesterday as DD1 loves them. This is my recipe based on the St Michael Freezer cookery book one:

450gms white fish ( can use any sort, but I used boneless and skinless cod- expensive but OH prefers it and will always find a bone if there's one to be found!)
    250g mashed potato ( I cooked extra the night before and saved it in the fridge)
    2tbsp chopped parsley( fresh or frozen - I usually buy a big bunch and chop it straightaway and freeze it - works find straightfrom freezer)
    a couple of tbsp milk ( to cook the fish)
    Salt and pepper
    1lg egg, beaten
    Breadcrumbs and plain flour

I cook the fish for about 3 mins in the microwave with the milk and a bit of salt and pepper. Drain the fish (if you were doing fish pie you could keep the liquid for the white sauce) and combine with the potato and parsley. If the potato is freshly cooked then let the whole thing chill for about 30 mins in the fridge. When chilled, make into a sort of sausage shape with floured hands and cut into slices about 1-1.5 cms thick. I usually get six to eight out of these quantities. Dip each cake in flour and then in the egg before rolling in the breadcrumbs. You can freeze them at this stage for later (open freeze then wrap individually). Or you can cook straightaway - though I usually find they are easier to handle if you chill them well first. I shallow fry them for about 5 mins per side in a little sunflower oil and butter. You need to cook them longer from frozen of course, but be carefull not to burn them. drain for a few mins on kitchen paper before serving.

I served these (2 each) with coleslaw and a green salad and some hm bread for supper. Usuing the fish as above it probably cost around £6 for three adults- but would be a lot cheaper if you used fish like hoki and skinned and boned it yourself. You can also use tinned salmon or tuna instead if you like. My family love these and I have never known the recipe to fail. HTH. Meant to add that you don't have to be very exact with quantities and can adjust fish to potato ratio to suit your budget!

A NSD for me today and tomorrow will be too. Rained a lot in the night here but the sun is shining at the moment and I've got some washing out. Going to make shortbread biscuits later. I did a Luscious Lemon cake yesterday and a big batch of Twinks. I used Stork marg this time and they turned out especially melting!

Have a good day everyone.
    Last edited by Moniker; 05-07-2008 at 10:14 AM.
  • scooterwife
    Morning all. Right, new month, and proper shopping with a list, not just popping into shops every day.
    Made list, went to Netto, had left list on table in the rush , however managed to get most of it. spent 104.73 . trolley almost overflowing, but that was all household stuff for (at least) the month as well as food so not too bad hopefully. so total spent his month to date is 163.49.
    that includes HUGE sack of dog food & chip shop last night as I worked late & DH fancied a kebab:rolleyes: . trying to avoid shops for at least the next few days now.
    On DMP with CCCS Total debt at LBM (Dec 06) 35,467. DFD 2031.
    Apr08 32,963 DFD 2018
    Jan12 21,091 DFD 2017
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 5th Jul 08, 10:13 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Strained yogourt
    I meant to say that I have been straining my hm yogourt and it works really well - the yogourt is lovely and creamy. But, I was wondering, can you use the liquid that drains off (the whey) for anything? It seems a shame to throw it away! If anyone has any ideas please post them!

thanks

Moniker
  • annelouise
    moniker

I'm sure someone mentioned using it in scones?????

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • sandy2
    • By sandy2 5th Jul 08, 10:28 AM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    sandy2
    Whey is full of vitamin B12 and you can use it to make scones, pancakes, or mix into soups or drinks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

811Posts Today

6,731Users online

Martin's Twitter