Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 25
    • annie123
    • By annie123 1st Jul 08, 10:02 PM
    • 4,221 Posts
    • 17,241 Thanks
    annie123
    annie123 dont believe your loo rolls have lasted 4 months how many did you have
    Originally posted by KAAT_LADY
    last time I got them 12 pack came with 3 free and buy one get a second pack half price so I got 4 packs = 60
    would have got more but no room in trolly and my son took one of them for his flat to help me with storage problem he said :rolleyes:
    • perrywinkle
    • By perrywinkle 1st Jul 08, 10:34 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    perrywinkle
    moussaka
    ahh i will look at that thread tomorrow Thankyou

can u use them at tesco on anything?

does anyone know what i can cook with mince? except spag bol and chilli as i always tend to make those.. i cant make burgers etc either.
    Originally posted by mumzyof2
    Hi mumzyof2,

This makes a very large Moussaka which could easily feed 8 – 10 people or even more but the quantities can easily be reduced for a lesser number. I make extra meat sauce when I do this and freeze for the next time – you could split the meal up and freeze it but I find that the potatoes are better done fresh and it takes up a lot less room in the freezer when it is just the meat sauce.
    It’s surprisingly tasty considering the basic ingredients although it wouldn’t be the same if it was a mince other than lamb.

Moussaka

450g minced lamb
    225g onions, finely chopped
    1 tbsp oil – olive is nice
    2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
    3 lb potatoes, peeled and cut in half
    salt and pepper

sauce

230g cheddar cheese, grated
    50g butter or margarine
    50g plain flour
    600ml milk

-heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion until soft. Add lamb mince and cook for another 4 – 5 minutes stirring. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook for 20 – 25 minutes. Season to taste.
    -boil the potatoes in a large pan of water for about 15 minutes until they are just cooked. Drain and cut into thick slices when they are cool enough to handle.
    -make the sauce by melting the butter in a pan and adding the flour. Cook until sandy in colour and gradually stir in the milk to give a thick smooth sauce. Cook stirring constantly for about 5 minutes then add about two thirds of the cheese.
    -place a layer of the sliced potatoes in the base of a large ovenproof dish then cover with the meat sauce. Put the second layer of potato slices over the meat sauce layer and then pour over the cheese sauce and sprinkle over the rest of the cheese.
    -bake in a 200oC preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes until golden and bubbling.

HTH
    Perrywinkle
    Last edited by perrywinkle; 01-07-2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: corrected amount of chopped tomatoes
    • ragz
    • By ragz 1st Jul 08, 10:51 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    Hia, went to Mr T earlier to get a couple of things, spent 15 but shouldn't need anything for the rest of the week. However then we are going camping for OH's birthday and when we get back it's DS1's 2nd b'day so will be spending a lot on party food (any cheap party food threads on here?).
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • Blairweech
    • By Blairweech 1st Jul 08, 11:04 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    Blairweech
    Thankyou, savingfortravel - I did indeed walk away from the 50 spend - you are absolutely right, a few pounds off petrol does not justify an extra 20 on the shopping bill (plus I actually have to go out of my way to get to a Tesco anyway).

I have just had a good look at the recipe index (specifically at cakes and biscuits because this is where a BIG chunk of my grocey spend goes). This week, I have not bought any cakes, snacks etc which means that if I want them I'm going to have to make them.
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • Sian the Green
    If you normally spend a fortune on chinese sweet and sour sauce try making your own- ridiculous how simple it is

4tbsp caster sugar
    2tbsp red wine vinegar (sure you can use other vinegars)

Heat together until the sugar dissolver, bring to boil for 3-4 mins

Add some chopped veg, orange juice, chilli flakes etc to taste and reduce with some water if too thick.
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
    • jak
    • By jak 1st Jul 08, 11:35 PM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    jak
    Ok my budget for July is 85 and i'm determined to do it this month! So far i'm on budget and we are eating better than we have for ages due to Tescos and Asda price war thing. Hooray! I've just been to check prices of fruit and veg and made a list cosisting of aldi, and asda- tesco is good for salad at the mo but we've got loads so need some fruit now. Got to make a fruit salad for dinner friday so need lots of nice fruit. Aldi I think.
    J
    X
    Newly disabled and finding life tough! Please be gentle with me xx
    • teedy23
    • By teedy23 2nd Jul 08, 12:03 AM
    • 2,044 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    teedy23
    Hi all, spent 19.43 in Tesco tonight. Thats my big shop for the month. Freezer is groaning cupboards are full. My pal who drives me to Tesco added a few things to my list to make up the 50.00 spend, so gets the petrol saving. My actual bill was 56.76, then my coupons came off, pals shopping bill, and left me with the 19.43 to add to my sig. I love it when a plan comes together.
    Dabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early
    Street finds for 2018 26:49.
    • angchris
    • By angchris 2nd Jul 08, 1:06 AM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 2,221 Thanks
    angchris
    have had a great day today havent spent anything and dont intend spending anything 2moro either or for the rest of the week for that matter.
    brekfast consisted of hm seeded bread/toast with hm butter with hm jam...how fantastic is that i made it all myself!!! i made the butter on monday night using room temp double cream (oh stumbled across it in mr t at 10p and couldn`t leave it there all on its lonesome ) and shaking it in a jar till the buttermilk came out then mixing in a bit of salt and shaping it into a pat of butter. tea was hm spicy chicken dipper with hm wraps n chippo`s using just 1 breast sliced thinly and coated in spicy breadcrumbs between 3 people...by the time i had filled the hm tortilla wraps with salad leaves/cuc/toms from mums garden the wrap was full with a few bits of spicy chicken poking out the end making them look good, i find its much cheaper doing it this way as you can use much less meat than if you were to cook a meal of spicy dippers/beans/chips as oh would expect half a plate of dippers :rolleyes:
    have just got 1/2 leg of lamb out of the freezer and were having a roast 2moro ooops thats today now and hopefully if i can stop oh picking at it there should be enough leftover to make lamb pasties for another day.
    i have also made a cornbread cake (trying to use up cornmeal) and i topped it with some banana frosting (which was delish) using a very ripe banana mashed up and mixing icing sugar in untill it looked good then spread it over the cake and sliced up into small squares...am hoping that if the squares are smaller i will eat less of it thats my theory anyway
    i have to say that my kitchen is gradually turning into how you would imagine the waltons kitchen to be.. set in the 30`s i think, i have completely stopped buying "rubbish" ie crisps/cakes/biscuits in fact any processed food and make it all myself, i have rows of jars of pulses and nuts/seeds jams and pickles and my fridge actually now contains proper food of meat and veg rather than processed rubbish they try and sell you with neon signs and im feeling alot healthier for it and another added bonus is that my shopping bill has come right down to 100 for 3 + a rottweiler
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance!
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • dink1
    bargain crisps in the whoopsie aisle
    Hi Guys,

Just nipped into Mr T on the way home from work and found that they had reduced all their crisps for some unknown reason (and they are all in date!) I resisted and only bought what was needed for packups!!!

will update siggy in min.

hope everyone has a great day today (although forecast is rain!!!)

JayJay14 - Well done honey it must feel good to be in control.

sorry have been reading so welcome to any newbies

Dink!
    JanGC 250/82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/86/cm40/9.50
  • Diane_239
    hi all went to Mr T's when finished work yesterday and did a big shop which should last the rest of the month still have a few bits in freezer,set target of £200 for the month only got to get fruit,veg and fresh bits each week so well on target.£135 left for the rest off the month so should be able to come in on target.
    does anyone else freeze milk i only use semi skimmed milk and was just wondering if it can be put in the freezer?
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge.[200/200]
    Aug Grocery Challenge 200
  • savingfortravel
    Yes milk freezes well, just pour a little out of the top as it expands and may split bottle-this has never happened to me however. HTH

Hi everyone,
    Hope you all have a great day!!!
    Going for a whoopsie hunt later with my mum... so I'm afraid it won't be a NSD today.
    Take care and keep up the good work!!!!!!!
    SFT
    Last edited by savingfortravel; 02-07-2008 at 6:03 AM.
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: 89.72 Voucher savings 8
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 2nd Jul 08, 6:37 AM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    She was gorgeous, but she seems to have grown up very quick now and turned into a man!
    Originally posted by denisefowler
    I know, i got into trouble from Candygirl for changing my avvie:rolleyes:
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 2nd Jul 08, 6:48 AM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    well i had no net for the night due to maintence in the area so havent had chance to catch up as off to work soon but spent about 10 yesterday mr s has there basic mince for 50p each (400g) so 8 of them happened to fall in my basket well you cant beat it at that price need to get a few things today like toms and cucumber (there 45p in mr s cheapest ive seen) anyway have a good day and i'll catch up later xxx
    Still searching .....
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 2nd Jul 08, 6:54 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Not sure what today holds- its raining again here , so more washing to dry indoors- its just not the same!
    We do need milk so might venture out later in the day to get that, although after yesterdays walk in the rain (twice as DS dropped socks and had to go all the way back to look for them, found only one, but the other had been in his hood all along!). Might nip into town as we can drive there (I tend to walk down the local town as its lazy not too and a waste of fuel really!) and it will save my poor back that has been playing up. Might pop to Lidl for Milk, not local stuff, but it will do!
    Anyways, curry for tea tonight, might do it in the slow cooker again, mmmmmmm but we will see :rolleyes: !
    Have a good MS day all of you
    PS Liking blue text right now

Added later---- well its not raining, actually was just overcast and grey clouds this morning, so washing out blowing on the line now
    Tried to strike through the angry faces but it won't let me lol
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 02-07-2008 at 8:33 AM. Reason: not raining now
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 2nd Jul 08, 7:17 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    morning all,

hoping for a low spend day, supposed to be going out for lunch but that depends on the weather.
    have more than enough dry and frozen food in to last the month and am still working thro my frozen and uht milk that i got free/reduced, fingers crossed i can come in well under budget as all the spare cash goes towards our honeymoon spends.

annie123 - i do the same thing with loo rolls, normally check if lidl have an offer on charmin before i buy any more. tho at the moment i have approx 74 (OMG) in the house, 8 were free as got sent 2 of the moveme boxes from the freebies board.

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• retrocircles
    NSD yesterday, doesn't happen very often! going to do as many as i can though.
    found a tesco quite near my house, so plan to shop there instead of morrisons. hopefully it will make a difference!
    Debt @ LBM 29/12/08 - 49044! Now 44684.
    Fat loss 29/85lbs // 100 into 10k 243.07/10k
    HSBC Loan 9658 // HSBC CC 3484 // HSBC CC 1464 // DP's 779 // Car 0% 4851 // Halifax OD 1348 // HSBC OD 1.5k // HSBC OD 1k // Barclays OD 400 // IOMOM 4400 // S Loan 15k // Cap1 800
  • Herbaholic
    does anyone know what i can cook with mince? except spag bol and chilli as i always tend to make those.. i cant make burgers etc either.
    Originally posted by mumzyof2
    Minced Beef Curry

Onion
    Minced Beef
    Curry Powder
    Tin Toms
    Frozen Peas

Tin Chickpeas
    2 Sachets or 1 can coconut milk
    1 beef stock cube
    handful Sultanas
    Mango Chutney
    Water

I make a nice minced beef curry its a throw it together recipe so I don't have exact ingredients, I vary the 'recipe' with what we have in. Basically I fry off an onion, add my mince beef and brown that off to, then stir in some curry powder (as hot or mild as you prefer. Add the rest of the ingredients and as much water to get it to the thickness you prefer. If its too 'spicy' you can add some milk to take the 'heat' out. I make a huge batch and freeze a couple of portions as it reheats well. We serve it will just plain boiled rice, OH sometimes has a few chips or a naan. Hope that helps, sorry it isn't a measured recipe, it is rather nice though, if I do say so myself
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul 134.03/150.00 ; Jun 278.86/275.00 ; May 276.13/280.00
    • curly cabbage
    • By curly cabbage 2nd Jul 08, 7:47 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    curly cabbage
    Morning all
    day off today, so should be my 2nd NSD, got the lst bits yesterday to keep me going from Lidl, spent 16.34 mainly on bread flour (only 48p) brought 10 of those, 4 pack of the ham (2.19) which hasn't had water added as that frezzes really well and tastes good too and pack of 12 (i think) of theie toliet rolls 1.19.
    I have drawn up a plan of action for geting all the cleaning, baking, banking and packing that i want to get done today so i don't forget anything.

So here i go just need to update signature first

CC
  • ladyroughneck
    Hi All,
    Another nsd day for me yesterday, thats 2 in a row, another planned for today and hopefully tomorrow too! Grey and miserable here today too, got dw and wm on, gonna go put bm on and do some hoovering before i pop out (a job interview)
    catch you all later, have a nice day

• cookiedough38
    I see a few of you are planning on making cakes etc instead of buying. I find simple fairy cakes with icing go down well in this house, including any visitors!

Another recipe I use is St Peter's Mud pie, its a no bake cake which is ideal sliced up in lunch boxes. Plus for those of you with children, its a nice treat with a bit of fruit in too.

St Peter's Mud Pie (no cooking required)

Ingredients:
    225g digestive biscuits
    55g glace cherries
    175g butter
    1tsp drinking chocolate powder
    115g caster sugar
    115g mixed dried fruit
    115g milk chocolate
    Method:
    1. Break the digestive biscuits into smallish pieces.
    2. Wash the glace cherries of their sticky coating, dry, then chop them into smallish pieces
    3. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the drinking chocolate and the sugar to the pan and mix.
    4. Add the dried fruit, broken biscuits and chopped glace cherries. Mix until well blended.
    5. Line a 20-30cm round flat tin with foil. Pour in the previously blended fruit mixture
    6. Press down the mixture with the back of a spoon, once moulded to the tin base, put in fridge to set for about 2 hours.
    7. Break the milk chocolate into pieces and melt in a bowl sitting over a pan of simmering water.
    8. Pour the melted chocolate over the top of the chilled mixture and spread using a palette knife. Chill until set. Cut into pieces and serve.

If you havent got anything in your cupboard and you had to buy everything it would cost you 3.67 from tescos.
    Last edited by cookiedough38; 02-07-2008 at 8:02 AM. Reason: font
    Debt free wannabe
    Littlewoods - 214.82 (DD set up so 0%)
    Very - 100 (0% on BNPL - 1/4/13)
    CC - 2600/3533.53 (0% until 1/6/14)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

6,151Users online

Martin's Twitter