Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Dec 05, 7:49 PM
    • 12,446Posts
    • 78,967Thanks
    kittie
    VEGETARIAN main course Christmas meal
    • 6th Dec 05, 7:49 PM
    VEGETARIAN main course Christmas meal 6th Dec 05 at 7:49 PM
    Anyone have any good idea for something tasty and fairly simple to prepare

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-12-2005 at 10:01 AM.
Page 1
  • Gingham Ribbon
    • 6th Dec 05, 8:20 PM
    • 6th Dec 05, 8:20 PM
    Last year I cheated and bought them. It was filo pastry filled with roast veg gathered into little parcels. Lovely. Seemed like it wouldn't be too difficult to make and you could roast the veg before hand and freeze it.

I'll keep an eye on this thread too!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • grumpyoldgit
    • 6th Dec 05, 8:23 PM
    • 6th Dec 05, 8:23 PM
    She who must be obeyed ( a veggie) tells me that Tesco are advertising a ready made one - nut and cranberry roast with goat's cheese topping.
    Enjoy !!
    K eep
    I t
    S imple
    S tupid!!
    • purplegirluk1
    • By purplegirluk1 6th Dec 05, 11:31 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    purplegirluk1
    • 6th Dec 05, 11:31 PM
    • 6th Dec 05, 11:31 PM
    It is a tradition that I always have an Aunt Bessies vegetarian toad in the hole for christmas dinner! It is so yummy and it goes so well with roasties and veg with lots of veg gravy on top, hmmmm now I am hungry, I can't wait for the 25th!
  • raeble
    • 7th Dec 05, 12:10 AM
    • 7th Dec 05, 12:10 AM
    Delia has a recipe for Cheese and Parsnip Roulade and she has another 481 Veggie dishes here
    There is also All recipes vegetarian christmas section. This is an american site but you can amend recipes to display using metric measurements.
    Vegetarian Society Christmas recipes
    BBC Food Vegetarian and Vegan Christmas
    Vegan Christmas
    Vegetarian Christmas Dinner - ivillage
    Last edited by raeble; 07-12-2005 at 12:16 AM.
  • Loadsabob
    • 7th Dec 05, 10:21 AM
    • 7th Dec 05, 10:21 AM
    As a veggie, my absolute fave is a roast, like everyone else has, with yorkshires and all the trimmings, and veggie gravy. Then I just use Quorn fillets in place of the meat. My Mum has been known to roll veggie sausages in veggie bacon, too!

I love a wide range of veggie food, but if I didn't have a "traditional" roast on Christmas Day, I'd cry.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 7th Dec 05, 10:27 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 7th Dec 05, 10:27 AM
    • 7th Dec 05, 10:27 AM
    From a recent post in the Christmas Support thread there's:-

From the FOE newsletter:-

Celebrating christmas with a vegetarian in the family? Get some top tips at
    http://www.vegsoc.org/xmas2002/takingcare.html and recipe ideas at
    http://www.vegsoc.org/christmas/index.html If you need inspiration for a vegan Christmas, visit
    http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/special_occasions/christmas.php
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Miss Behaving
    • By Miss Behaving 7th Dec 05, 11:55 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    Miss Behaving
    • 7th Dec 05, 11:55 AM
    • 7th Dec 05, 11:55 AM
    I sometimes make Camembert and cranberry filo parcels for Christmas lunch - they're dead easy to make (even after a couple of glasses of champagne!) The recipe serves 4.

1 x packet filo pastry (6 sheets)
    115g (4oz) butter, melted
    1 x 250 camembert, cut into quarters
    4 x tblsp cranberry sauce
    sesame seeds for sprinkling

1 Preheat oven to 200C/440F/Gas 6. Taking the filo pastry sheets one at a time, brush with butter and fold in half. Brust again with butter, then place a wedge of the camembert in the centre. Top the cheese with a tablespoon of cranberry sauce.

2 Carefully wrap each wedge of cheese in the filo pastry sheet until it is well sealed.

3 Cut the remaining two sheets of filo into strips, brush with butter, scrunch them up gently and place on top of each parcel.

4 Brush the parcels with melted butter and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
    Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until crisp and golden.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 7th Dec 05, 11:58 AM
    • 4,176 Posts
    • 11,395 Thanks
    Hermia
    • 7th Dec 05, 11:58 AM
    • 7th Dec 05, 11:58 AM
    I usually buy whatever nut roast type-thing Marks and Spencer is selling. I just have it with all the trimmings. I can not be bothered to cook a veggie main course when I am the only one eating it.
    • cheekymole
    • By cheekymole 7th Dec 05, 12:01 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    cheekymole
    Hermia, shame on you, you should be treating yourself - I never cooked a meat dinner for anyone who was coming on Christmas, they should fit in around you - they are all converted now - hooray!!!
    I haven't got one!
    • cheekymole
    • By cheekymole 7th Dec 05, 12:02 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    cheekymole
    We're having stilton and apple filo pastries this year with red wine and red onion gravy - mouth watering already
    I haven't got one!
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 7th Dec 05, 1:14 PM
    • 9,771 Posts
    • 23,796 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    is that shopbought or home made? cos it sounds yummy!
    know thyself

MFW 2018 #22 - 2180.08 /6,000 (36%)
    MFi3 v4 #29 target 75,000

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
    • cheekymole
    • By cheekymole 7th Dec 05, 1:22 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    cheekymole
    homemade, would you like the recipe?
    I haven't got one!
  • HGLTsuperstar
    Nut roast should be banned. This year I am having an Aunt Bessies Giant Yourkie, filled with Tofu and Veg Extra-Hot Made to Order Chinese Curry collected from our local t/away
  • Bargain_Claire
    Shame on you 'moneysavers' that buy in ready made yorkshire puds! Mine always come out nice when using the volumetric method:

Equal volumes of egg and plain flour mixed together so they are smooth and then add enough milk to the consistency of double cream (just less than the same as the volume of flour, which is the same as the volume of eggs.) Get a bit of fat really hot in the oven (approx gas 7) I use a fairy cake tin. Pour in mixture, cook for 5 min and then turn down to gas 5 for about 10 min. Yummy, satisfying and a fraction of the cost!

>Sorry it took so long for me to respond to the Q below but some vegetable oil is all you need for the fat. Don't use olive oil - it doesn't get hot enough. Merry Xmas!
    Last edited by Bargain_Claire; 21-12-2005 at 2:18 PM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Dec 05, 4:56 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    I am getting organised. Bought filo pastry, camembert and cranberry sauce. Feels good as I have a tiny freezer but enough room in the fridge. I`ll make a really good nut roast on 24th and that`ll keep nicely for a few days. Cheekymole would you please post your recipe. Sounds lovely
    I also like the yorkshire idea. I`ll get the quorn sausages in and the rest will be like a roast dinner.
    What type of fat bargain-Claire?
    • cheekymole
    • By cheekymole 7th Dec 05, 5:14 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    cheekymole
    The "fat" is just cooking oil, I will post the recipe a bit later for you for the stilton and apple filo pastries
    I haven't got one!
    • cheekymole
    • By cheekymole 7th Dec 05, 5:52 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    cheekymole
    Savoury Stilton and Apple Strudels

1lge stick celery
    1 large apple cored and diced
    300g stilton rind removed and crumbled
    50 fresh white breadcrumbs
    3 tbsp sunflower oil
    25g butter melted
    13 sheets filo
    4 tsp sesame seeds

makes 6 strudels

cook celery in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes drain and leave on kitchen paper to absorb excess water
    combine apple stilton and breadcrumbs with cooked celery
    mix oil and butter. fold a piece of pastry in half and brush with oil/butter mix
    fold another and plpace on top keeping the other sheets wrapped in clingfilm
    scatter a sixthy of filling leaving 2 cm gap round the edge. roll up loosely in a sausage shape and put on baking tray tuck in edges and brush with oil/butter
    repeat to make 5 more
    cut last sheet of pastry into 6 strips scrunch each one put on top of each strudel and sprinkle with seeds. bake for 15 minutes 200c gas 6

and enjoy
    I haven't got one!
    • cheekymole
    • By cheekymole 7th Dec 05, 5:57 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    cheekymole
    red wine and red onion gravy

serves 4

2tbsp olive oil
    2 red onions cut into thin wedges
    200ml red wine
    500ml stock
    1/2 tbsp plain flour
    25g chilled butter cubed

heat oil add onion cook covered for 10 minutes. remove lid and cook for 5 minutes
    add red wine boil for 2 minutes add stock simmer for 10
    mix flour and butter to a paste whisk into gravy in small amounts. boil and whisk until thick and glossy simmer for 2
    I haven't got one!
    • jay-1
    • By jay-1 7th Dec 05, 6:16 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    jay-1
    That sounds lovely- can you freeze the filo pastrys and gravy as I would like to prepare it before rather than on the day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,830Posts Today

7,320Users online

Martin's Twitter