Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 10
  • busy mum
    Can I join the grocery challenge please?

I really need to try and spend only £50 a week. family of 2 adults and 2 children.

Never done this before can some one plse explain what I need to do to register.
    Thanks
    • timbo86
    • By timbo86 29th Jun 08, 8:26 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    timbo86
    Done the shopping just needed stuff for work so just the £3.73 spent good start to the month and that will be it till next weekend now.
    Save £1000 in 100 days 20th july - 22 oct - so far 25.00
  • mumzyof2
    Golden Syrup Tart

Serves 4-6 (best make it at least 6 servings 'cos it's v.high in cals)

For the pastry
    75g (3oz) plain flour
    75g (3oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
    pinch of salt
    40g (1 ½ oz) butter or block margarine
    40g (1 ½ oz) lard
    1-2 tbs cold water
    1tbs milk

Although I used this for the pastry this week
    225g (8oz) value plain flour
    pinch of salt
    100g (4oz stork margarine)
    3 tbs cold water
    1tbs milk

For the filling
    8tbls golden syrup, warmed
    100g (4oz) coarse breadcrumbs (great for using up those breadcrumbs I have been freezing for weeks and didn’t know what to do with)
    Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon (although I substituted with a teaspoon of bottled lemon juice that I have in the fridge)
    50g (2oz) ginger nut cookies, coarsely crushed (Tesco value work well)

Make the pastry
    Sift together the flour and salt into a bowl. Rub the fats into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix to a stiff dough with cold water. Roll out on a lightly flour surface, and use to line a 20cm (8 inch) pie/flan dish.

I use a Mermaid pie dish that I recently bought from Lakeland – before that my pastry had always been soggy – not sure if that is the secret of my new found pastry success or not.

Reserve the trimmings. Place pie dish in fridge to rest for 30 minutes.

Make the filling
    Mix the warmed golden syrup, breadcrumbs, lemon rind and juice together. Spoon the mixture into the flan case then sprinkle the crushed cookies on top.

Roll the reserved trimmings, cut into 6mm (1/4 inch) wide strips and make a lattice pattern on top. Brush with milk. I have a Lakeland lattice roller that I bought many years ago and never used – makes the finished tart look quite professional.

Heat the oven to 180 deg celcius, 350 deg farenheit, gas mark 4. Bake for 30 minutes.

Variations: Use double the quantity of breadcrumbs instead of adding the cookies or add toasted wheatflakes – although I think the cooked ginger cookies really make the tart stand out for flavour – the cookies go quite gooey and chewy – yum.

FFM
    Originally posted by funkyfunkymonkey
    How do i make breadcrumbs??? i know this sounds stupid. is it stale bread? do i toast it first?

also i have no ginger cookies what else could i use? il be using double breadcrubs
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 29th Jun 08, 8:42 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    Thanks very much for the syrup tart recipe funkyfunkymonkey, I'm going to have a go next Saturday, got a busy week this week at work.
    Had a great no spend day today, made a gorgeous Sunday roast with beef my DD's boyfriend gave us, and made a white loaf - by hand this time
    I'm very pleased it's turned out really tasty and have some for work sandwiches tomorrow with cheese spread on, and a couple of tomatoes in a tub.

Hope evryone's had a smashing day xx
    Barney is my border collie.
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 29th Jun 08, 8:43 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    BusyMum I've added you to the list on the first page. Good luck

Mumzy I make breadcrumbs by ripping up a slice of bread and then blending it with my stick blender until it looks like breadcrumbs. HTH

Nikki
    x
    • penguin83
    • By penguin83 29th Jun 08, 8:44 PM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 13,105 Thanks
    penguin83
    Im in this month too please as its my first 'proper' go, I will set my target at £600.00 and see how we get on - wish me luck! x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 29th Jun 08, 8:49 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    £600? That's a lot, just for food? Sorry, I don't mean to be rude.
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    mumzy, I make breadcrumbs when I have the end of a loaf that does not look as if it is going to get eaten. I tear up the bread and put it in my food processor (think it was rescued from the ark) then blitz it until I have breadcrumbs. I then put the breadcrumbs in an old icecream tub in the freezer, over the weeks the tub gets more and more full.

It does not matter for the syrup tart if the breadcrumbs are quite coarse - if anything it makes it more gooey/chewy. The fresher the bread the harder it is to make bread crumbs.

FFM
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    Chocolate Fudge Cake Recipe
    Chocolate Fudge Cake

Serves 12-16

For the cake
    175g (6oz) self raising flour (4p)
    175g (6oz) Stork margarine (23p)
    175g (6oz) granulated sugar (14p)
    3 eggs, beaten (30p)
    75g ( 2 ¾ oz) plain chocolate, melted (21p)

For the frosting
    100g (3 ½ oz) unsalted value butter, melted (34p)
    100g (3 ½ oz) plain chocolate, melted (28p)
    175g (6oz) icing sugar, sifted (17p)
    45ml (3tbsp) milk (3p)

Total cost of ingredients = £1.74

Make the cake
    Preheat oven to 170 deg Celsius, 325 deg Fahrenheit, gas mark 3. Grease and line a deep-sided 20cm (8inch) round cake tin. Sift flour into a bowl. Add marg, sugar and eggs. Beat until smooth. Stir in the melted chocolate. Pour into prepared tin and level.

Bake for 50 mins or until cooked. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.

Make the frosting
    Melt butter and chocolate, add icing sugar and milk. Beat until smooth.
    Cut cake in half horizontally and, while frosting is still warm, use half to sandwich the cake back together. Spread remaining frosting over the top.

For special occasions decorate with Thornton’s chocolates/truffles, Cadbury’s chocolate mini eggs, Cadbury’s flakes etc

You can substitute milk chocolate for the plain, it still tastes as good and is slightly cheaper (23p per 100g instead of 28p per 100g). I use Tesco value chocolate not the one for baking but the one in the chocolate and sweet aisle – it’s cheaper.

FFM
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • savingfortravel
    Funkyfunkymonkey
    You've saved so much money!! Fantastic achievement!!

Will be thinking of you this week Mrs Mc

Off topic I know but...
    Wish me luck, back to school tomorrow to face the person who freaked out at me (for the 5th time) on Friday. Not looking forward to it..but you have to stand up to these type of people don't you.

SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    £600? That's a lot, just for food? Sorry, I don't mean to be rude.
    Originally posted by Barneysmom
    That's what I was spending this time last year in a month

Not now though

FFM
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    Funkyfunkymonkey
    You've saved so much money!! Fantastic achievement!!

Will be thinking of you this week Mrs Mc

Off topic I know but...
    Wish me luck, back to school tomorrow to face the person who freaked out at me (for the 5th time) on Friday. Not looking forward to it..but you have to stand up to these type of people don't you.

SFT
    Originally posted by savingfortravel
    I wish you loads of luck, you are right you have to stand up to these people - they must not get away with it. If you stand your ground you will find that they back off and leave you alone - it's just not that easy to do.

Just picture a funky monkey standing right beside you sticking their tongue out at them (do try not to giggle).

FFM
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 29th Jun 08, 9:01 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    good luck SFT, you'll be fine, deep breathes, and if they start again, imagine them naked, won't seem intimidating at all

spent £4.10 today on coffee with my dad. he deserved a break today
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• busy mum
    Thankyou angelnikki,

Having not done this before do I just need to report back every week and tell you what I have spent?
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 29th Jun 08, 9:04 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    Sorry. It's hard i know, I'm trying not to spend too much now, the fridgefreezer breaking down is my 'last straw'
    You never think anyone else can be in the same or worse situation than yourself if you see what I mean? Unhappiness is a lonely place.
    But here is where it changes for the better, I'm so glad I found you guys!
  • savingfortravel
    FFM
    Feel like all her personal, aggressive comments are really starting to undermine my confidence and I need to be there for OB at the mo (him being made redundant)... Just don't want to lose my own job by speaking up a bit, tried to be very professional till now but there is only so much you can take.
    Will picture that Funky monkey, maybe with boxing gloves on ... thanks for your support.
    Sorry for being so off topic everyone...
    Forgive me.
    SFT
    Thanks too ifonlyitwaseasier
    Last edited by savingfortravel; 29-06-2008 at 9:14 PM.
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 29th Jun 08, 9:18 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Hi busy mum

Yeah that's right just post into this thread when you update your spends or for help and advice about the grocery challenge at any time.

You can add a signature to keep track of your challenge on by clicking on Quick Links (which is at the top right of the page near where the log out button) and then on Edit Signature.

SFT ((hugs)) Is there anyone above her that you can speak to about it? Dont let her get to you - just remember we all think you're fantastic

Nikki
    x
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 29th Jun 08, 9:21 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hi Everyone a NSD today and there will also be one tomorrow as I'm out all day. What I want to do this week is try and sort out all the receipes I have printed out. I now have 2 A4 files full. I think I will start by sorting into cakes, main meals etc and try and make two different items a week. Otherwise I never seem to get round to making any of them. What does everyone else do?:confused:
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    £48828.05/£46842.89/-£1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
  • poppy the saving cat
    I'm very sorry if my post offended anyone. There is no difference though between doing this and scanning vouchers for stuff you've not bought though. If the store wanted the vouchers they would have taken them or not blocked up the voucher hole in the self scanner tills.
    Claws away thanks Ladies/Gents.
    Originally posted by Kaz2904
    There is a difference because i work for a supermarket and i can accept vouchers for items we sell even though the customer doesnt buy that actual item, up to the value of 10%, we have to have the coupon in our till though to account for it being scanned onto the till, if we dont have the coupon theres no proof we took it and that causes a shortage, what you did would have caused the self scan tills to be £10 short, enough for the employee logged onto the self scan till at that time to be called into the office and questioned about the shortage and it to be put down on their file x

As i said im not against anyone using vouchers, i use them all the while and i also accept as many as i can from customers, but please dont try and knowingly get us checkout operators into trouble x

anyway apology accepted x poppy x
    • Mrs Toast
    • By Mrs Toast 29th Jun 08, 9:26 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 3,295 Thanks
    Mrs Toast
    Good evening everybody,This is my first official attempt so wish me luck. I've figured out today why I spend so much on food. It's because I think I'll have enough milk or eggs to last me till next week then I decide to make cakes or bread. I then have to nip to the shop and end up spending a fortune. I'm going to stock up tomorrow for basic food and then won't go to the supermarket until Friday. This challenge has also make me look at the way my home life is organised in general. My DH and I are planning on starting a family soon so we want to save as much as possible and also get in to a healthy routine. We're eating alot more greens then we used to and making HM cakes and bread alot. I've also gone bonkers on the cleaning as it'll stop me going to the shops if I have chores to do. DH thinks I've turned into Anthea Turner but I don't care.My other challenge for the month is to make more HM meals starting with some of the recipes mentioned previously. This weekend I made Delia Smith Shortbread and it was so good I've eaten 2 batches of them. Never mind. I'll get the recipe and put it up tomorrow.Good night everyone and good luck to all the fellow newbies. It's definitely addictive.
    TOTAL DEBT £12,212.46/£2000 paid off
    Debt Free Goal September 2017
    #106 Emergency Fund £482.53/£1000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,815Posts Today

8,464Users online

Martin's Twitter