Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 9
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 29th Jun 08, 7:35 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    I cut and pasted this a while ago - so thank you to the original poster.

ICED BUN RECIPE - TAKEN FROM THE BACK OF MORRISONS WHITE BREAD FLOUR

FFM
    Originally posted by funkyfunkymonkey

Thanks for this FFM - I am going to give it a go as soon as I can. We have just got back from a short walk - OH has had to work all weekend so we needed the fresh air. Have made bread in the BM, two batches of yogourt and a roast chicken dinner - not so impressive as all you other cooks though! I rediscovered my yogourt strainers in the back of a cupboard and they really make a difference - the yogourt is really nice and thick and creamy. I bought mine years ago from Lakeland so can't remember how much they cost - but I expect you could get some cheap in a pound shop- the mesh needs to be quite fine though.

Off to watch a film and finish a big glass of wine! Hope I don't fall asleep before the end (of the film I mean not the wine!)

Moniker
    • Sosh
    • By Sosh 29th Jun 08, 7:36 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Sosh
    Evening, I haven't posted for a few days, it's been really busy. We had a family bbq to celebrate my birthday on Tuesday. I made a victoria sponge for dessert. Not much I know, but everyone was shocked as I'm not known for my baking skills

MIL, who is a fantastic cook, said it was lovely! High praise indeed.

SIL has a day off tomorrow, so we are taking the kids off to legoland. We have entrance vouchers via tesco and are taking a big picnic, so hopefully it shouldn't cost too much.
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children.
  • fertyskids
    Thanks Suzi, i will save this thought if things dont improve. today darling hubby gave him jars for both meals but i was able to get him to eat peas off the highchair table. its a start. thanks again karen
    • brummiebabe
    • By brummiebabe 29th Jun 08, 7:40 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    brummiebabe
    Haven't got round to posting yet.....can you put me down for £400 for this month please?? This is for 2 adults, 3 children (one in nappies) and includes all food, packed lunches, cleaning stuff, toiletries and contact lens solutions!
    It's also a 5 week month for me

So far I've spent £116.78 - but have all nappies, wipes, loo rolls etc for the month!:rolleyes: Feel like I'm wishing my DD's life away...can't wait until I can potty train her (she's 20 months now) so I won't have the nappy expense!!
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 29th Jun 08, 7:40 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    I'm very sorry if my post offended anyone. There is no difference though between doing this and scanning vouchers for stuff you've not bought though. If the store wanted the vouchers they would have taken them or not blocked up the voucher hole in the self scanner tills.
    Claws away thanks Ladies/Gents.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT £92727.75 £49395.47 £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt £52856.59 £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my £6316.14 £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 29th Jun 08, 7:42 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    wendywitch

You need to select what you want to cross out and then click on the button with an s on it with a strike through it like S

Or the other way to do it is to type [Strike ] (without the space) before what you want to strike through and then put [/strike ] (without the space) at the end.

Kaz I dont think anyone on here has ever promoted scanning vouchers for items they've not brought though. The reason I commented on your post is because so many people on here manage on a low budget without having to resort to using scams to do so. If the supermarket is at fault for not taking the voucher from you then why state in your post that you went back to scam again?

nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 29-06-2008 at 7:53 PM.
  • 1ubthrifty
    OOOw this is exciting, my first post. Can I join the grocery challenge please? I think I'll set my target for £400 this month for a family of four. This may seem high but at the moment I spend much more, somewhere near £600! I don't really know where I go wrong, this may help me be more aware of what I'm spending on.

I will start on the 1st July.
    • Mudbath
    • By Mudbath 29th Jun 08, 7:45 PM
    • 5,432 Posts
    • 112,912 Thanks
    Mudbath
    Hiya
    Well, i've gone over this month - £325.32 BUT, there's always a but, i've stocked up on quite a lot of essentials to last ages so shouldn't have to do that again. Basically, if it's on bogof i'm buying lots if I know it will get used and won't go off. I'd like to go for £325.00 for July and see if I manage that before I lower it again. Thanks again for the thread xx
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 29th Jun 08, 7:45 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    i know its not that interesting but ive only just noticed i got another star!!! ... this site is addictive as when i used to smoke... well at least i save money rather then spending far far too much xxx
    Still searching .....
  • fertyskids
    Hi everyone, it takes ages to catch up on the post each day. worth it though, im going to efinately try a few of the suggestions ive had for the baby.

i have another query, does anyone have any recipes for a slow cooker. pref using chicken, pork or sausages? i can only do chicken and sausage casserole at the mo. also is it cheaper to use a slow cooker or the oven (mines an electic fan oven).

thanks so much for all your support. this site is the only thing at the mo that keeps me positive in trying to save at least £400 a month, now im not working. were selling our 2nd car, hubby has finally agreed to use bicycle or motorbike, not that much of a hardship!

thanks karen
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 29th Jun 08, 7:51 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    I heard somewhere that a slow cooker only used around 1p per hour in electricity. Don't know for sure though I'm afraid.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT £92727.75 £49395.47 £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt £52856.59 £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my £6316.14 £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
    • brummiebabe
    • By brummiebabe 29th Jun 08, 7:52 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    brummiebabe
    Hi Nikki,

i know that this too will pass.. as they say. its just as frustrating for us as it is for him. i know i will probably just have to persevere. its just exhausting.

karen
    Originally posted by fertyskids
    Just to say, I sympathise totally!! My DD flatly refused to eat at all!! It wasn't until she was around 8-9 months old that she really began to eat anything!! She wouldn't touch a jar though...so I never had that problem with her!! I know it doesn't really help, but I think once I chilled about the whole eating thing, she just seemed to do it on her own!!

Have you tried mixing jars with something like mashed potato (which is not lumpy, but not smooth either) - it might be a familiar taste with a new texture? Could then gradually try other small bits of lumpy 'adult' food with jarred stuff, gradually reducing the amount of the jar food. Hth x
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 29th Jun 08, 7:56 PM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 20,829 Thanks
    FrankieM
    Hi,
    I'm going to join in this month, if thats ok...I need to get a handle on what I'm spending. I would ideally like to get to £300 a month ( 2 adults, 4 children) without having to cut back on everything nice, otherwise we buy takeaways....I've got my first Tesco delivery of the month coming tomorrow so I will add/ take that off my total when I know how much it is exactly.
    • jjef
    • By jjef 29th Jun 08, 7:57 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 35,711 Thanks
    jjef
    HI

I would like to join this thread I did briefly at the end of last year and its all gone down hill since. I have now moved house and seriously need to cut down on the food budget but at the mo i have let things slip and dont have an accurate sum of what we spend.

can i go with £450 for this month but keep an accurate track of what we spend and alter if need be

Would ask more experienced GC how they cope with a pay day during the month (hubby is paid on the 18th) do you look monthly or weekly re budgeting for this thread?
    j
  • candyblue
    Hi

I would like to join this month if I can?

I always read the thread and think next month! Well this month is next month so can you please put me down for £250 for the first time.

I should be able to stick to this as we already have all washing powder etc in the cupbd.

Thanks
    Candy
    £23366/ £39206.92 DFD Nov 2016
  • annelouise
    Evening All
    Hi All,

Had a busy morning baking MRSM's Marmite and cheese twists : did half marmite and half pizza flavoured - nice.
    Decanted some houmous and potato salad from yesterday to take to BBQ with the twists - OMG the food was stunning -

We had -

*Tuna Salad
    *Rack of ribs - massive took 2 hours to cook!!!!!
    *Chicken with pesto,chicken with mozzarella
    *Chickpea and red onion salad
    *Marinaded sardines
    *French baguette
    *Proper butchers sausages
    *Green salad
    *Potato salad
    *Tricolour salad

IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!

So my spag bol has been relegated to tomorrow's tea and I have taken some cooked beef out for Tuesday tea with gravy,roasties and veggies.

Have bread,pate,cheeses,fruit,juices,salad stuff and a cupboard full of staples so I am aiming for 2-3 NSD as I know I'll need bread,crackers for packed lunches mid week.

Really enjoyed HM garlic bread for supper last night OH v impressed so kids have requested HM Pizza for the weekend - I can do that.

Borrowed a couple of cook books from a neighbour so will look at them over the next couple of days for holiday guest cooking ideas on a budget for a family who love to nosh.

This is my 3rd challenge and I am learning things all the time and I'm prepared
    to put the effort in to save money.Using this site is a massive benefit to me and my family even though I live in Spain and cannot take up the offers but I can forward to my UK mates who appreciate a bit of money saving from across the pond.

Toms are growing well ,courgettes and lettuces are also looking great so fingers crossed I'll get a good crop in a few weeks.

The kids are watching Spain ------- so I've made 3 trays of Twinks - frozen half ,popped rest into containers after testing so all in all a productive day.

Planning for a cheap first 3 weeks as my first guests arrive 24th July onwards with OH landing same afternoon.Menu fit for Gordon Ramsays plate (Nigella's chicken with lemon and garlic,Summer Gammon with pineapple salsa,Chicken wrapped in parma ham stuffed with pesto and mozzarella the list goes on and on.

Spain have just scored !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ooooooohhhhhhhoooo hhhhh

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • mumzyof2
    I made lemon drizzle cake today for first time.. i dont think it looks good tho and not tasted it yet... im not a pro on baking tbh.

FFM i also orignally posted the iced bun recipe months ago..if it was months back then it was me who posted it

Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
    • galacticgreen
    • By galacticgreen 29th Jun 08, 8:16 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    galacticgreen
    I've arrived in the July thread. Please can I set £200 for this months budget. We need to do a massive shop as we have very little left, but we'll try really hard to stick to the budget. I reckon we have saved over £1200 since we started this challenge in January. I'm glad we have, as we've just filled our oil tank up and it cost £620!!!
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    mumzyof2, I couldn't remember who had posted the recipe, I cut it and put it in my ever-growing word document. My little monkeys love the iced buns - DS has recently wandered into the kitchen and expressed surprise that they had all gone - not sure who he thought had eaten them :confused: I really did only eat 1.

So, a big thanks for the recipe - it's a firm favourite.

FFM
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    Golden Syrup Tart Recipe
    Golden Syrup Tart

Serves 4-6 (best make it at least 6 servings 'cos it's v.high in cals)

For the pastry
    75g (3oz) plain flour
    75g (3oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
    pinch of salt
    40g (1 ½ oz) butter or block margarine
    40g (1 ½ oz) lard
    1-2 tbs cold water
    1tbs milk

Although I used this for the pastry this week
    225g (8oz) value plain flour
    pinch of salt
    100g (4oz stork margarine)
    3 tbs cold water
    1tbs milk

For the filling
    8tbls golden syrup, warmed
    100g (4oz) coarse breadcrumbs (great for using up those breadcrumbs I have been freezing for weeks and didn’t know what to do with)
    Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon (although I substituted with a teaspoon of bottled lemon juice that I have in the fridge)
    50g (2oz) ginger nut cookies, coarsely crushed (Tesco value work well)

Make the pastry
    Sift together the flour and salt into a bowl. Rub the fats into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix to a stiff dough with cold water. Roll out on a lightly flour surface, and use to line a 20cm (8 inch) pie/flan dish.

I use a Mermaid pie dish that I recently bought from Lakeland – before that my pastry had always been soggy – not sure if that is the secret of my new found pastry success or not.

Reserve the trimmings. Place pie dish in fridge to rest for 30 minutes.

Make the filling
    Mix the warmed golden syrup, breadcrumbs, lemon rind and juice together. Spoon the mixture into the flan case then sprinkle the crushed cookies on top.

Roll the reserved trimmings, cut into 6mm (1/4 inch) wide strips and make a lattice pattern on top. Brush with milk. I have a Lakeland lattice roller that I bought many years ago and never used – makes the finished tart look quite professional.

Heat the oven to 180 deg celcius, 350 deg farenheit, gas mark 4. Bake for 30 minutes.

Variations: Use double the quantity of breadcrumbs instead of adding the cookies or add toasted wheatflakes – although I think the cooked ginger cookies really make the tart stand out for flavour – the cookies go quite gooey and chewy – yum.

FFM
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,287Posts Today

8,335Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin