Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 7
  • MrDT
    MrDT's open top 'pizza' pie
    Woohoo the pie is edible!!

MrDT's open top 'pizza' pie

50g margerine
    50g lard
    200g self raising flour
    tbsp water

Mix that all up to make pastry, roll into a ball and leave it sat in the fridge.

200g onion
    200g cheddar
    big pinch mixed herb
    big pinch coarsely ground black pepper
    tbsp milk

Throw it all in the food processor, get it all nicely chopped up and mixed.

3 tomatoes
    hefty amount of chopped garlic
    sprinkle salt
    big pinch coarsely ground black pepper
    drizzle vegetable oil

Roll your pastry out onto a round baking tray, spread the cheese mixture on top, top with sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with garlic, salt, pepper and oil to taste.

Whack in the oven top shelf for 40mins at 200 celcius, sorted The seal on my oven is a bit dodgy so you will probably need a lower heat or shorter cooking time!

Here's a really bad mobile phone picture of what it should look like, poor quality but you get the idea:

Tastes REALLY good
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 29th Jun 08, 1:31 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Anitaj73 there is a clear difference though as the codes and vouchers for use online are designed to be used by more than one person; the vouchers for use instore are only meant to be used once for each customer.

Kaz2904 shouldn't have been able to keep the voucher after using it and she clearly states she was scamming them which is out of order IMO

Nikki
    x
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Well put nikki
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 29th Jun 08, 1:45 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    im sooooooo gonna get fat twink's should be banned for health reasons hey everyone as you can tell iv been baking my DD wanted a cake and i need pack up stuff so win win.... NSD as its peeing down with rain i do need bread but i think i have bread flour in the back of my cupboard but i need help as ive had no luck with making bread it always always comes sticky and a really really doughy center.... any help? (i dont have a breadmaker just for info) xxx
    Still searching .....
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 29th Jun 08, 1:55 PM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 27,239 Thanks
    shala_moo
    I purposefully didn't write the twink recipe down (or a few other cake-y type ones) as i just know i won't beable to resist baking them for "test" purposes!!

I sometimes have a soggy bottom, on my bread that is. I tend to take it out of the tin and place it back in the oven for a little while, then the bread goes a little less doughy because the heat is getting straight into the bread rather than have to penetrate the tin first.... bit waffly but i'm sure you get what i mean!

HTH
    Actual Mortgage = 166,050106,955.58
    Mortgage Offset % = 39.23%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036May 2025
    Mortgage Neutral position = 64,993.26 outstanding
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 29th Jun 08, 2:11 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    i get ya gonna do it once my DD is in bed as she drives me mad when i do bread coz she just wants to play the dough
    Still searching .....
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 29th Jun 08, 2:20 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    I'm in for July
    Hi, I have declared on the June GC thread but incase you didn't see it Angelnikki, please put me down for 300 for July. My month starts officially on Thursday.I came in just over at 325.95 for June, but am I disheartened? No!

Thanks everyone and good luck.

Love M

• Anitaj73
    Ok, i see your point of view

-----------------------------------------------------------
    ok line under that one........

Twinks & butterfly cakes done did choc butterfly cakes with peppermint butter icing this time....yummy
    I'm finding they last a bit longer than one day now the kids are getting used to me baking them
    I also lost half a stone in the last month which i put down to preparing more of my own food so thats a great bonus, i do need to lose weight in fact i could do with losing at least a stone so will keep this up and hopefully lose it naturally

Have a good day everyone
    May GC 350/ spent so far

family life = 2 adults DS x3 & DD1 + dog
    • funkyfunkymonkey
    • By funkyfunkymonkey 29th Jun 08, 2:25 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 6,196 Thanks
    funkyfunkymonkey
    I wasn't going to go shopping tomorrow, but having read this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1000503 I think I might go and see if there are any bargains to be had. It all ends tomorrow, so can't wait until next week.

I'll go on my bike so that I don't waste any fuel if there's no bargains at my local Mr T or Mr S.

FFM
    Originally posted by funkyfunkymonkey
    Well, I went to Mr T's and there were no bargains. Stopped off at the local newsagents on the way home and bought 3 News of the Worlds, so will do 3 x 30 shops in Mr T's during the week before the vouchers run out.

I did stock up on F&V and milk from Mr T's so the bike ride home was a hefty work out - so saved on gym fees and petrol - how MSE is that?

FFM
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
    • Angelraesunshine
    • By Angelraesunshine 29th Jun 08, 2:30 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    Angelraesunshine
    hi count me in please going to try again for 235

i have had my 1st shop for july in and have so far spent 160.26, only neeed fresh fruit and veg and meaybe milk at the end of the month.
    Still Trying
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    400/000
    • funkyfunkymonkey
    • By funkyfunkymonkey 29th Jun 08, 2:50 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 6,196 Thanks
    funkyfunkymonkey
    I have just posted a similar message on the June challenge but did want to make sure everyone sees the difference this thread can make.

This is the end of my 2nd quarter doing this challenge and I am pleased to report that this thread has saved me over 1000 compared to the 2nd quarter of 2007. My 3 month spend Apr, may and June 2008 was only 645 compared to a shocking 1705 last year

So, in the first 6 months of this challenge I have now saved 1672 compared to Jan-Jun 2007 - and that is with these supposed price rises.

Thank you all for your inspiration

FFM
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
    • susan946
    • By susan946 29th Jun 08, 3:10 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    susan946
    Same here - I always have to 'just try one', that is why it helps me to know how many calories are in my 'creations'. There is 300 cals in one of my chocolate muffins - so I tend to only eat 1/2 of one these. There is 80 - 100 calories in a Twinks hob nob depending on their size.
    Originally posted by funkyfunkymonkey
    Such self control!!! I tend to start with good intentions but after the "just one" I always get to thinking - mmm that was nice; just one more won't do any harm.....and so on.
  • count rostov
    Funkmonkey, that's amazing. It must be so satisfying to realise how much your hard work has achieved!
    Angelnikki, please could you put me down for 65 which is for two adults. I've just lost my job but have a notice period until mid-september. This gives me time to find something else but we still need to tighten our belts. I had a look through the cupboards this morning and I have getting on for 3kg of various pulses which as we're not vegetarian is excessive! The garden's starting to get really productive and OH has been catching lots of fish so I think this budget is doable.
    Debt at LBM (20th March 2008) 13,607
    Debt currently 11,667 11088 10,681 10354 Hurrah 24% paid off
    Oh dear ... back to 12944 9% paid off :rolleyes:
    Hurrah 10712 22% paid off
    • scaredy cat
    • By scaredy cat 29th Jun 08, 3:22 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    scaredy cat
    Hi all, i used to frequent the mse pages some time ago but have not been so frequent recently. I found it all too much trying to do this, debt free wannabee and all the others. But now me and my DH have split it - i am only going to be responsible for my house keeping - which is great and seems so much more achievable. I wiould love to join in please - i have always spent far too much money on food but have set a budget that we can afford. £300 please for July - doesn't seem good for us but i am determind to do it.

Any savings i make can be usedto save for other stuff.

Am particularly interested in iced buns!! will look for recipe later

thanks everyone for hints and tips so far

Scaredy

oops forgot to say for 2 adults dd 5 and dd3
    Last edited by scaredy cat; 29-06-2008 at 3:47 PM.
  • dink1
    all baked out!
    Hi Guys,
    sorry although took a couple of piccys cannot seem to put them in. I have baked, banana n chocolate bread, 2 lots of twinks hobnobs, double choc (white and dark) chip muffins, teacake loaf, 2x chocolate cakes and a dozen belgian buns!!! phew am sitting nicely with a bottle of beer to re-coop whilst the chicken is cookin in the oven. hope everyone else is having a good day. DInk1
    JanGC 250/82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/86/cm40/9.50
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 29th Jun 08, 3:40 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    i guess it been a national baking day eh dink? xxx
    Still searching .....
  • dink1
    Searching Me - Yes, dh thinks i am opening a shop, but ds1 and ds2 are chomping their way through their second belgian bun and I have the swelling head knowing that I shall freeze half til MIL comes on Friday!!!!! You lot are sooooo cool! (I am not too good at cooking but the recipes are really easy to follow)
    Dink
    Last edited by dink1; 29-06-2008 at 3:46 PM. Reason: spelling ... too much beer!
    JanGC 250/82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/86/cm40/9.50
    • funkyfunkymonkey
    • By funkyfunkymonkey 29th Jun 08, 3:58 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 6,196 Thanks
    funkyfunkymonkey
    Iced Bun Recipe
    I cut and pasted this a while ago - so thank you to the original poster.

ICED BUN RECIPE - TAKEN FROM THE BACK OF MORRISONS WHITE BREAD FLOUR

you will need:

560g (1IB 4oz) white bread flour
    10g (1/2oz) Milk powder
    60g (2 and half oz) Caster sugar
    5g (quarter of a oz) salt
    50g (2oz) butter or marge
    25g (1oz) beaten egg (I used 1 egg though)
    275ml (10fl oz) warm water
    6g Dried yeast

225g (8oz) icing sugar 1 and half teaspoon water for the icing

1. Sieve the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter. Form a well in the middle and add all the other ingredients into the well

2. On a floured surface kneed for 10minutes. Mix together.

3. Place the dough into a large bowl, cover and leave for about an hour to rise (the dough should have doubled in size)

4. Divide into 16 cigar shapes. Place the shapes onto a greased baking tray and cover again for 30 minutes, at room temperature, or until the dough has risen again.

5. Bake for 10-12 minutes at gas mark 7, 220oc, 425 of.

6. When the buns have cooled make up the icing sugar and spread evenly across the top of the buns

I do have to admit to cheating, I use my bread maker for steps 1 - 3 on the dough setting. I also make them smaller than 16, I made 26 yesterday from the same amount of mix as above.

FFM
    • december
    • By december 29th Jun 08, 3:59 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    december
    Starting off slowly this month, please put me down for 120 (2 adults, 3 cats) for the June monthly spend.

December
    BSC support number 158

weight loss - 52lbs
    • susan946
    • By susan946 29th Jun 08, 4:01 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    susan946
    Hi Guys,
    sorry although took a couple of piccys cannot seem to put them in. I have baked, banana n chocolate bread, 2 lots of twinks hobnobs, double choc (white and dark) chip muffins, teacake loaf, 2x chocolate cakes and a dozen belgian buns!!! phew am sitting nicely with a bottle of beer to re-coop whilst the chicken is cookin in the oven. hope everyone else is having a good day. DInk1
    Originally posted by dink1
    Wow That sounds fantastic. We've been to lunch with our son so haven't done anything impressive but I'm off to slice some value leeks I bought from Mr T on Friday so I can put them in the freezer for casseroles and leek and potato soup.

Shan't need a big supper tonight so probably just soup and salad.
  • tiptoes
    I failed at my first month of GC but have decide to give it another go this month. But its a new month and I'm bick to start again, So can I be put down for 200 again please, that from the 27th June to 31 July.

Good Luck All
    GC: 400/ 0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,242Posts Today

8,474Users online

Martin's Twitter