Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 140
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 27th Jun 08, 8:03 AM
    • 8,080 Posts
    • 19,560 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    I heard this as well this morning apparently Tesco's are going to drop loads of prices too.It just goes to show that they're using the credit crunch as an excuse to push prices higher if they can drop them like this so easily.
    "An all out price war" as the news put it,well it serves them both right.Did they realy expect customers to stay and pay the prices they were asking.
  • jackk
    Morning All!!

Have updated siggie and am slightly alarmed at small amount remaining but am trying the big shop and only veggie box/ cat food extras this month to see if that works for us-- we have a meal plan drawn up so I am quietly confident *wipes sweat from brow*

Jakk-- Asda is only doing the 50p thing for this weekend- and Tescos are dropping some prices also but again for a limited time- thats what it says inthe paper anyway. (or the online paper so I don't have to buy one!)

Thank goodness its Friday!!! DeniseF-- have a fantastic last day- not looking forward to it much then??!!

For anyone who has access to QVC today they are doing an offer on food saver bags that lengthen the keep time for food-- £15 for 45 bags- each bag can be used 8- 10 times-- apparently it will keep things fresh for about twice as long inc fruit, veg, cheese and meats etc- I have ordered some to try out.

Will try and do thread catch up...!
    Originally posted by FelineFantastic

Oh thats a shame :rolleyes: , they are talking the beginning of major price wars on the radio . To good to be true hey :rolleyes: , oh well boohooo.

Jackie x
  • Anitaj73
    JayJay14 Good luck to all the family with the Job Interviews and go on spoil yourself

DeniseF Hope your last day at work is a good one and Good Luck in your new venture

Twinks in the oven here and hoping to do the lemon cake today if i'm lucky.....Got the kids home as they have a teacher training day at school :rolleyes:

buzzer going....gotta go
    May GC £350/ spent so far

family life = 2 adults DS x3 & DD1 + dog
    • perrywinkle
    • By perrywinkle 27th Jun 08, 8:20 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    perrywinkle
    bulk pancake mix
    Morning everyone

Thought somebody might find this useful especially with the school holidays coming up when the kids tend to get up at brunch time rather than breakfast time (well mine do anyway). It’s a mix which I make up so can quickly have pancakes for breakfast or brunch when we feel like something a bit different.

Pancakes – bulk mix

1.5 kg plain flour
    2 cups instant dry milk
    ¾ cup sugar
    ¼ cup baking powder
    2 tbsp salt

Mix all ingredients and keep in airtight plastic box.

To make up:

2 cups pancake mix (see above)
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    4 – 5 tsp vegetable oil

Fry spoonfuls in a lightly greased frying pan (I get about 4 in an average sized pan) – turn pancakes over when bubbles appear on top and golden brown on underneath. Cook on second side until golden. The kids like theirs with golden syrup (I sit the tin in a bowl of hot water which comes half way up the tin and it becomes nice and liquidy so can be trickled lightly over the pancakes) and sliced bananas and sometimes fried chopped bacon (I use the cheap cooking bacon bits which most supermarkets sell).

HTH
    Perrywinkle
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 27th Jun 08, 8:28 AM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 35,928 Thanks
    Justamum
    oh I did give ds4 about 6 of them so I'll call it sharing.
    Originally posted by annelouise
    Sounds fair enough to me

• Bargain Rzl
    • By Bargain Rzl 27th Jun 08, 8:44 AM
    • 6,174 Posts
    • 21,392 Thanks
    Bargain Rzl
    Just been back and edited my recipe for Thai green chicken curry in post #2631, as I made it last night using different ingredient proportions/quantities and it worked much better than my first version, not to mention working out cheaper as the ratio of veg to meat is higher.

To accompany it I went to a local Asian supermarket and bought a 5kg bag of jasmine rice for £6.99. If I'd bought 10kg it would have been fractionally better value still (£12.99) - but was on foot, and don't have a great deal of storage space as it is. Anyhow, considering that if I'd bought a little packet of Tilda in a supermarket it would have cost anything up to £2.29 for 500g the loss of an additional saving of 10p a kilo is frankly immaterial...
    Operation Get in Shape
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 27th Jun 08, 9:22 AM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 35,928 Thanks
    Justamum
    wannatravelmore - including almost 600 loo rolls)

Well at least you are well prepared for any unexpected tummy upsets

• KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 27th Jun 08, 9:33 AM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,864 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Good morning everyone,

Thanks Periwinkle the recipes look enticing will try them another time as I was up until midnight making a banana loaf the recipe by catznine and it was ever so easy. DH was making pineapple jam and it took longer than he thought it would take but worked out in the end.

Good Luck denisefowler with the last day enjoy

mrstittlemouse thanks for the news will probably go shopping this weekend after I have been to specsavers. I dont know which shop to go to as they will be trying to outdo each other

helliecopter sorry to hear you have ahd chickenpox its usually very painful in adults I hope you and the kids are better and not marked too much.

Well talk to you soon
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• huxley
    Hi all, I'd like to declare £227.15 for June slightly over but its a been a nightmare month, oh well as on all the old school reports must try harder, please put me down for £220 for July, must now try and catch up on everyones postings soooooooo far behind
  • annelouise
    G Mornin
    hi there,

Have a batch of bakewell tarts in for OH this morning.Have bulk boiled potatoes for spicy potatoes for lunch,roasties for lemon chicken dinner and a few for freezer.

Veggies attended to,1 cupboard turfed out with books and creative c**p.Have sent 2 books to neighbour,bag full for Nursery and 2 bags for bin.

All ebay parcels ready for OH to post Monday morning.

Have lent 4 cook books from friends and am busy scanning stuff and copying recipes for my guests to have a cheap time on our Sumnmer Budget of 425 euros this month.

I am aiming to make guacamole and houmous for the first time and also more exciting pizzas as I've mastered the dough now.

Must go for a swim as it's very hot here today and the blue water is calling.

See you

annelouise

Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • mama67
    • By mama67 27th Jun 08, 10:34 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    Declaring June
    I am declaring June at £205.56, as I said in a previous post, more than should be but DS2 party stuff took it over.

I have just worked out that I have spent 60% of my yearly budget amount in 45% of the time. Will have to tighten the reins a good deal I think.
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 27th Jun 08, 10:42 AM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,427 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    I heard this as well this morning apparently Tesco's are going to drop loads of prices too.It just goes to show that they're using the credit crunch as an excuse to push prices higher if they can drop them like this so easily.
    "An all out price war" as the news put it,well it serves them both right.Did they realy expect customers to stay and pay the prices they were asking.
    Originally posted by MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Unfortunatley for some, paying the price is the price we pay for not living anywhere near a major supermarket. Our neck of the woods looks like being monopolised by the Co-op, as they appear to be encroaching on any Somerfield stores. Our nearest Somerfield is a 15 mile round trip and it's like some sort of day out with a minimum 70 mile round trip for any of the big name supermarkets. No such thing as online ordering and home deliveries for some of us and, if Co-op have their way, not even the chance of Somerfield own brand basics. However, it's rumoured that we're getting an Aldi store within the next year. I have very little experience with Aldi, so don't know if it will compensate for the loss of Somerfields. The day trip to stockpile is one of my few options but I'd rather that than live in a busy town

Also, I may be in a minority here but, when I do venture out to a Tesco or Asda store I wander the aisles in utter disbelief at how cheap their food is! I'm positive there are plenty of items cheaper now than 20 years ago and it's just the way some choose to eat that has made it so expensive. I keep meaning to compare prices with my 1999 challenge but will save that for 2009 and do a 10 year update

More waffle - I know I was baking bread around 1986 because there was some sort of strike action and the one tiny store in our village couldn't get any bread for ages. I think the best way to look at grocery budgeting is to think of what we eat and ask how/if you could produce it from home if it was withdrawn from supermarket shelves. If you can DIY it, then make a list and see how it measures up to what you actually buy. Are you paying over the odds for someone else to season, cook and wrap it just because you can afford the cash but can't afford the time? It's a real eye-opener
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 27-06-2008 at 10:54 AM.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • FelineFantastic
    Aldi's is fantastic- but they are getting a little pricier- still nowhere near as extortionate as some though!

Apparently the Asda reduction is this weekend and then Tesco's starts from Monday but not sure if its like the 50p stuff as Asda-- our Tesco has bumped up the prices lately so they will only be reducing stuff back to what it was- i think anyway My humble opinion!

Have already done my shopping now for as long as possible so am not going to be persuaded to do more at places I wouldn't normally choose to shop

Nearly time for going home- hurrah hurrah!! Am going to try the Weetabix Brownie with oatibix (will let you know if it works!0, and a yoghurt cake and some bread and will then collapse from heat exhaustion and need reviving with several bits of cake! :rolleyes2
    June Budget= £151.41/£150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
  • newmoneysaver
    I've just googled the Asda 50p promotion:

The cuts will be available in all 329 Asda stores today, tomorrow and on Sunday.

from here

HTH
    • mama67
    • By mama67 27th Jun 08, 11:18 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    Hi Guys,

On this being a 5 week month need to really cut back further. My DH has two weeks of work starting monday and was wondering what to do him for breakfast. Please can I have some suggestions (can do muffins but need some other suggestions easy to eat as drives most of way),

ANGELNIKKI Please put me down for £275 FOR JULY
    Hope this will work as cutting down further and had enough trouble this month staying in budget, but with all your tips am sure its possible. Here goes anyhow

Denise - Good luck for today hun
    DINK1
    Originally posted by dink1
    How about a version of a M*Muffin; take 6 english muffins split and toast, grill or fry 6 rashers bacon, make a 4 egg omeltte but don't fold it and then cut into 6. Place a rasher of bacon and a slice of the omelette onto one half of the muffin, put other half on top, wrap in kitchen towel tucking in ends, wrap and freeze.
    Take out of freezer night before put into fridge, unwrap apart from kitchen roll, nuke for 1 minute full power, wrap in foil and it will keep hot whilst driving.

HTH
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 27th Jun 08, 11:27 AM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 35,928 Thanks
    Justamum
    Must go for a swim as it's very hot here today and the blue water is calling.
    Originally posted by annelouise
    Can't hear you (got my fingers in my ears while singing at the top of my voice )

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 27th Jun 08, 12:27 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    forgot to say i declare this month on £104.46!!!!!

and as today is pay day (how could i forget) oh has begged me to get him some beer, so i think a trip to lidl later will do.
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 27th Jun 08, 12:37 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    An NSD yesterday, but we'll need more milk today cuz everyone is going cereal-crazy!And I'll need more eggs too, to do some baking....

I heard something about that River Cottage chappie trying to get cheap chooks taken off the supermarket shelves. I know that what he says is very true & very laudable, but some of us can't afford to have that many principles when it comes to feeding our families. That's what I find so disheartening about those programmes about cutting the cost of your groceries. As No1 offspring said during the Dispatches programme earlier this week....If you're already at the bottom, where else can you go:confused:
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Anitaj73
    scrooge2008 Welcome to the GC Stick with us for inspiration & motivation you get loads of it on here and it is VERY addictive
    If you have time to read back through this thread i would highly recommend it as there has been loads of tips & recipes

Anita
    May GC £350/ spent so far

family life = 2 adults DS x3 & DD1 + dog
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 27th Jun 08, 12:57 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    Was hoping for a NSD but have to go somewhere to get rubber gloves. My dishwasher is not working and I can't wash up without rubber gloves.
    Really annoyed mind as the DW is only 18 months old. It thinks it's blocked but water is going in and out fine so I'm going to have to ring up and get it sorted. I feel an argument coming on though as it's hotpoint.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT £92727.75 £49395.47 £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt £52856.59 £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my £6316.14 £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,036Posts Today

8,100Users online

Martin's Twitter