Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 128
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 24th Jun 08, 7:15 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    week 4
    I had my last delivery of the month tonight the total came to £82.19 after discounts and vouchers. This included my bulk buy of pasta, rice & flour. I am going to include that in this months after all as I am still under budget with it added on. So my total for the month is £314.81/£320 yay me!

ANGELNIKKI... if the offer is still there to look after the list i would really appretiate it.. I can try and PM you the list i have so you can just add to if it would help .... i will go and add the names i have and then try and send it you if thats ok?
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    That's no problem at all MrsM (I've replied to your PM). Fingers crossed I can get on the first page like you so skillfully manage to do . I'm going to try and do a recipe index aswell so that if any recipes are posted on the thread there will be a link to it on the first page. Should make things easier for everyone. Can everyone put their targets in Big Red Bold Text for angelnikki So its easier for me to spot them Thanks

Our thoughts are with you MrsM (((hugs))) Take care

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 24-06-2008 at 7:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 24th Jun 08, 7:30 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Mummy Gems - Like Linzmac says finger food at that age is the key, for the adults, cheap choc gateaus are good, (save energy whilst you can! Mr A does one for £2) hoe about smart price white rolls (mr a 24p) or hm if you are saintly cut in half and on top, cheese spread half a grape and a mandarin slice (smart price tin think is 17p) it looks special and goes down a treat. For the kids, bread sticks (think there is a recipe on here) dips (can make own) my munchkins are a little older but how about a mixture of sandwiches cut into "soldier fingers" IYKWIM. quiches, pasta salad, and chunks of cheese (not on sticks obviously) but kids do like cheddar, you can buy like skips or teddy crisps and Mr a does smartprice "dolly mixtures" they also go down well with kids in tubs. fairy cakes (hm are really cheap) with a small amount of glace icing and dont forget Jelly and ice cream. oh well am sure you can come up with more but this is a start for you, all can be made in little stages so when your little one needs you, you dont feel you cant be there for them. HTH Dink
    Originally posted by dink1
    Thank you very much. I shall keep a note of the items you mentioned and have a wander to Asda and Tescos over the next couple of days to see what they have.

Next thing is to try and make my own cake in the shape of a no. 2 AND ice it
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 24th Jun 08, 7:34 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    Prayers for you and your family Mrs MC.
    Safe flight and I hope the next few days treat you gently.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT £92727.75 £49395.47 £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt £52856.59 £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my £6316.14 £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
    • wendywitch
    • By wendywitch 24th Jun 08, 7:37 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 15,029 Thanks
    wendywitch
    Thank you SAV3R for the recipe, I clicked your thanks button

I've had a look at everyone monthly target to try and work out one for myself and I think my family size is closest to MAMA67 so I'm going to attempt £250 but I might be a bit out cos I have 2 dogs and a cat to feed but no husband (long story there say no more).
    Oh and my budget will basically included all household stuff you can buy at Tesco's eg toilet rolls, washing powder etc. Hope I'm not over stretching myself. :rolleyes:

Do I start from the 1st of July and not count the big shop I'll be doing this week cos it's pay day tomorrow??

• determinedtosticktothis
    Hi Everyone
    I have been introduced to the GC by my good friend ifonlyitwaseasier and would very much like to give it a go...determined to reduce my money shopping bill as it’s been going up and UP AND UP!!!
    We are a family of two at home, myself and my 6ft 2 teenager son who despite his slimline appearance eats for 4!!!! My biggest downfall is the ‘flight shopping’ popping into Mr T etc after work for a pint of milk and coming out later with much more than the milk I went in for..soon adds up doing this a couple of times a week on top of my weekly shop!!
    Mrs M please can you put me down for £180.00 for July?
    I am currently spending around £220.00 after adding up my receipts..not good and definitely needs reducing, I have just got my 1st BM..yey..really enjoying making my own bread which is coming out really well thanks to the recipes/help on here.
    The chickpea [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']and chorizo stew ifonlyitwaseasier brought in for lunch today was fantastic..yumm!! It’s my turn next week and I am going to bring in Staffart, a Maltese stew. It’s nice and cheap, makes a good pot full and tastes even better the next day heated up. For anyone who fancies giving it a go here is the recipe..[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Enough for 4[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']A couple of chops (traditionally made with rabbit but I don’t like it)[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']A large onion chopped[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']1 teasp of mixed spice[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']1 teasp of curry power (more if you like it hotter)[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']1 tablesp of tomato puree[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']A hand full of peas[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']A good handful of potatoes chopped into large chunks[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Fry chops until lightly brown in saucepan, remove[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Fry onions until softened and then add spices, puree and a little water and cook for approx 3 mins[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']¾ fill saucepan with water, add chops, potatoes, peas, salt and pepper[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Cook until the chops are cooked and tender and the potatoes are soft[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Mush up several of the potatoes to thicken the stew, break up the chops into chunks[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Serve on spaghetti with plenty of HM bread!!![/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Good luck for July everyone! [/FONT]
  • newmoneysaver
    Mrs M - My fingers are crossed for you - hope you have a safe journey back! Take Care!
  • determinedtosticktothis
    Opps not sure what happened to my message and the format..forgive me everyone whilst I get use to this!!
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 24th Jun 08, 7:46 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    MrsM my thoughts are with you - I hope everything turns out okay with your sister.

x
    • carolt2
    • By carolt2 24th Jun 08, 7:49 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 14,784 Thanks
    carolt2
    Hope everything turns out ok MRS MC, thoughts and prayers with you and your family
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 24th Jun 08, 7:49 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    wendywitch I think most people start their new month straight after their payday and include all grocery shopping after that HTH

determinedtosticktothis You can edit your posts by clicking on the edit button on the bottom right of the post. You can delete posts by clicking edit and then clicking on delete and then on delete message. Thanks for the recipe

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 24-06-2008 at 8:00 PM.
  • savingfortravel
    Our garden is overrun with strawberries...don't mind eating them but would love to make a jam or jelly for OB's toast-his weekend treat.
    Any ideas????
    SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • annelouise
    CHOCOLATE SAUCE

6oz Sugar
    1/4 pint water
    2oz cocoa powder

Dissolve sugar in water
    Simmer for 1 minute
    Take off heat
    Whisk in cocoa powder
    Chill

Not sure how long it keeps but would go great in pancakes,over icecream and any other dessert.

anneLouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • fluffysox
    • By fluffysox 24th Jun 08, 8:03 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    fluffysox
    Hello all, instead of oats can i use red lentils to bulk out mince meals?

Mrs M can you put me down for £150 for next month please?
    Originally posted by mumzyof2
    You can add nything really- my mum always grated carrot into mince- you don't notice it. Personally I chop allsorts of veg in there to bulk it up and avoid wastage.
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 24th Jun 08, 8:09 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    hi all,another newbie here! hope you dont mind i intend to try the GC and start on sunday 29th june ready for july,(hope thats how it works)my family is-2 adults,1 teen lad,2 primary age and a 4month old baby,so shop will include nappies and milk,i make my own baby food.i also have 2 medium sized dogs and 4 cats,oh almost forgot the hamster and the goldfish,lol.am being brave and setting myself a target of £350 for everything,would put a scary face but dont know how to do emoticons yet,hehe,anyway 'HI'
    £350 for july please anglenikki,thank you,zoe.x
    • cherie1122
    • By cherie1122 24th Jun 08, 8:14 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 1,708 Thanks
    cherie1122
    This is my first month and although I haven't posted much I've been reading everything - it's very addictive.

I've kept a note of everything I've bought on a spreadsheet and so far I've spent £296.37/£350.00 on food, eating out and feeding our five cats and two parrots (they eat a lot of fresh fruit & veggies). We spend far too much on food so I want to get that under control.

Next month I want to try £250. so please could you put me down for that

I've had a great time making yogurt cake, Millie's cookies, potato burger pie and vegetable soup - thank you for the great recipes (hubby loved them)
    • fluffysox
    • By fluffysox 24th Jun 08, 8:19 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    fluffysox
    hi all,another newbie here! hope you dont mind i intend to try the GC and start on sunday 29th june ready for july,(hope thats how it works)my family is-2 adults,1 teen lad,2 primary age and a 4month old baby,so shop will include nappies and milk,i make my own baby food.i also have 2 medium sized dogs and 4 cats,oh almost forgot the hamster and the goldfish,lol.am being brave and setting myself a target of £350 for everything,would put a scary face but dont know how to do emoticons yet,hehe,anyway 'HI'
    £350 for july please anglenikki,thank you,zoe.x
    Originally posted by zoe260373
    My word you've got a house full good luck with the challenge- welcome to the thread!
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 24th Jun 08, 8:21 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    dont know mrs mc as ive not posted here before but have been viewing for a few days....so big hugs sweet,hope all goes as you would like it to and thoughts are with you for a safe journey,xxx
    p.s...any advice for a newbie would be very much appreciated,new to forums too,its all very daunting even having read the info on 'how to' at the beginning,think im suffering deplition of brain cells after child birth,lol
    • fluffysox
    • By fluffysox 24th Jun 08, 8:22 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    fluffysox
    Welcome cherie- my first month too and totally addicted- everyone on this board is great some fantastic ideas, recipes and support. Well done everyone and thanks!

Not sure what target to set for July as it will be an unusual month. I have two week long camps- think my food should be paid for though. Although OH will be at home with the fluffydog so will have to organise groceries for him- not sure I'm as saintly as Ms Mc but I'll have a go. However since I'm away I'll say
    £140 for July please angelnikki
    Last edited by fluffysox; 24-06-2008 at 8:31 PM.
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 24th Jun 08, 8:23 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    thanks fluffysox,tell me about it...must be mad!!! im luckier than some though so no complaints,thanks for the welcome.x
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 24th Jun 08, 8:27 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    MrsM - we are here for you when you need us, ((((((((((MrsM's family)))))))))

Nice to see you DETERMINED theres more stew for you tomorrow and i think i left some hm bread there too for you,

i'm on a half day tomorrow, mil & fil are visiting, made a no fat sponge this evening and have it resting with cream and strawberries in it for a hm b'day cake for mil

no fat sponge recipe (as i know denise will ask for it if i don't post it )

4 eggs
    4oz caster sugar

cream together

4 oz SR flour

mix in with a metal spoon in a figure of eight motion (no i don't know why my mum just told me this works best)

fan oven 170C for about 15 mins (test by pushing lightly on the top and if it rebounds straight up its ready)

this makes two 8 inch round cakes
    Last edited by ifonlyitwaseasier; 31-07-2011 at 6:22 PM.
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,127Posts Today

6,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin