Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cheekymole
    • By cheekymole 2nd Dec 05, 6:54 PM
    • 3,284Posts
    • 1,631Thanks
    cheekymole
    0 WOW
    Speedferries (very cheap cross channel)
    • 2nd Dec 05, 6:54 PM
    0 WOW
    Speedferries (very cheap cross channel) 2nd Dec 05 at 6:54 PM
    Official Insert

Buy a frequent traveller 10-trip super voucher for £190 and this gives you 10 single tickets or 5 return tickets making a return £38. You can read more about the deals on the Speedferries site

Best cross-Channel ticket offers ever:

The Golden SuperTicket™ with an absolute price guarantee of £25

Frequent Traveller 10-trip SuperVoucher™ for £190

Any Duration Golden SuperTicket™ (£25 one-way) bookings for specific dates

Features:

Standard car +5.
    Never any surcharges.
    Valid until 31 December 2006.
    £10 amendment fee if you change your reservation but NO change in the ticket price, even if you change to the most expensive peak summer sailings.
    No restrictions on the duration of stay or sailing times before the end of 2006 (subject to space availability).
    Open Golden SuperTicket™ (£25 one-way)

Features:

Standard car+5.
    Never any surcharges.
    No fee when you (via our call centre) activate a ticket for a specific departure.
    £10 amendment fee if you later change a fixed reservation but NO change in the ticket price, even if you change to the most expensive peak summer sailings.
    No restrictions on the duration of stay or sailing times before the end of 2006 (subject to space availability).
    Frequent Traveller 10-Trip SuperVoucher™, £190 (introduction price)

Features:

10 single or 5 return trips for a Standard car+5. (Lead passenger OR car must be used for all trips unless otherwise agreed with the SpeedFerries call centre).
    Never any surcharges.
    Valid for two years after purchase.
    No fee when you (via our call centre) activate a ticket for a specific departure.
    £10 amendment fee if you later change a fixed reservation but NO change in the ticket price, even if you change to the most expensive peak summer sailings.
    No restrictions on the duration of stay or sailing (subject to space availability).
    36 hours Golden SuperTicket™ (£25 return)

Features:

Standard car+5.
    Never any surcharges.
    £10 amendment fee if you change your reservation but NO change in the ticket price, even if you change to the most expensive peak summer sailings.
    The 36 Hour SuperTicket must be booked as a normal return ticket before 24 December 2005 and the price is £50 return. If you check-in for your return journey within 36 hours, your credit card will be credited with 50%, £25.
    Check full conditions and how to book at www.speedferries.com
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-12-2005 at 2:19 PM.
    I haven't got one!
Page 1
  • heather+tom
    • 6th Dec 05, 6:04 PM
    ....Festive Season ... or the beginning of a FIREHOUSE Sale ... ??
    • 6th Dec 05, 6:04 PM
    ....Festive Season ... or initial FIREHOUSE Sale ... ??

??....limited to the first 50,000 tickets (all types) sold, or to 24 December 2005 which ever comes first.

Will SPEEDferries still be around @ the end of 2006 ?? ... see Hoverspeed !

DOVER to BOULOGNE Route .... 'convenient' for some ... ?

....PREPAY ... is most always 'REGRET-PAY' ... is our exper. being 'around the block' a few times ....

GOOD LUCK .... in the spirit of the season ....
    • Dabo
    • By Dabo 6th Dec 05, 6:18 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dabo
    • 6th Dec 05, 6:18 PM
    • 6th Dec 05, 6:18 PM
    This a good deal and we have used them loads! And the competition has been great for ferry fares. But... there are a couple of things to be aware of:

There is only one ferry (although they are supposed to be purchasing a second vessel) and it has had technical problems which has meant a slow crossing and delayed departures.

The crossing is ok if it's smooth but, because it is a small ship, awful if it is rough!!

Because they only operate one ferry there is not a great choice of sailing times and they get full pretty quickly leading up to and including school holidays so you need to book early.

In the winter the last crossing from France is at 18.45 and if you miss this (yes, it has happened to us!) you either have to stay over or pay through the nose to use a different operator!

They was a fuel surcharge this summer - however it was a small fee.

Hope this info helps someone!
    • MyUserNamesTaken
    • By MyUserNamesTaken 6th Dec 05, 6:32 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 3,854 Thanks
    MyUserNamesTaken
    • 6th Dec 05, 6:32 PM
    • 6th Dec 05, 6:32 PM
    I've never had a problem with Speed Ferries and would happily recommend them to anyone.
    • cheekymole
    • By cheekymole 6th Dec 05, 6:46 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    cheekymole
    • 6th Dec 05, 6:46 PM
    • 6th Dec 05, 6:46 PM
    Here here, never had a problem and GOOD LUCK to them for keeping the prices low.
    The CO apologised for the fuel surcharge and vowed he would never do it again. I believe he is trying to by further boats and more crossings are available in the run up to Christmas.
    Give the guy a break, he's the best for us MSEers
    I haven't got one!
    • scm
    • By scm 7th Dec 05, 1:14 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    scm
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:14 PM
    Cheap deals - do you get what you pay for?
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:14 PM
    We've been taking ferries to France for the last 20 years and very enthusiastically signed up and took 3 return trips with Speedferries in 2005.

Our experience was:

- 2 of the 6 travel dates which were booked and confirmed had to be changed because of maintenance/repair of the single ferry, for one change we got notice by email on 20/9/05 that our sailing on 6/10/05 wasn't going to run - we were in France so it was lucky I could check my email!

- 2 of the 6 trips were late in arriving at Boulogne by 2 hours or more

- the fuel surcharge was collected at the check-in in France on the basis that if you didn't pay there and then you couldn't embark - thank goodness the owner did apologise

Given all that I do salute Speedferries for providing a low price service which has increased competition and caused the other operators to reduce their prices.

There is no doubt that Speedferries provide a decent crossing for very low prices (shop around though, you can beat them sometimes).

For my part - I'm going back to using the other operators who have given me a better service over many years - even if I have to pay a bit more - perhaps I'll try Speedferries again when thay have another boat in action. I'll also benefit from the lower prices Speedferries have been instrumental in generating.
    • gooismeid
    • By gooismeid 7th Dec 05, 4:38 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    gooismeid
    • 7th Dec 05, 4:38 PM
    • 7th Dec 05, 4:38 PM
    We used Speedferries for our family hol this year (4 cars, 13 people... I must be mad!). Everything went smoothly, we booked our crossings on New Year's Eve '04 for travel in July/August '05 and even then one of the sailings we wanted was already full. But, we reckoned, for £50 return per car plus a free sailing sometime later in the year, we could forgive them that. Outward travel was fine, and Boulogne was VERY convenient for our schedule and if you want a shopping trip with a bit more atmosphere than the Cite de l'Europe it's just great. Return travel was an hour late and a bit bumpy, but since the crossing is so short we didn't mind at all.

And I don't remember having to pay any fuel surcharge - when was this? We travelled end july and back mid Aug.

Thumbs up for Mr Speedferries, people in Boulogne love him. As for being a flybynight operator - we judged that we could take a punt on £50 per car and if it went bellyup we'd just try something else (having done our research on MSE beforehand of course!). Give them a try, go on go on go on.
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
    • hiccup
    • By hiccup 21st Jan 07, 3:53 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    hiccup
    • 21st Jan 07, 3:53 PM
    Price rip off found
    • 21st Jan 07, 3:53 PM
    Just been on to Speedferries about their 36 hour stopover offer advertised from £24 return.
    When you try and book it the price of £24 each way costing £48 for the 36 hours. If you book a standard outward and return trip as normal its just £20 each way which is cheaper than the offer doh.
    The guy at Speedferries told me it was misleading and that it was all dealt with in Denmark and it was pretty much just tough.
    I have spent a lot of money with this company over the last 18 months and feel now that they have appeared to have become just another operator taking the mick out of their loyal customers.
    Maybe theyve been got at.
    • Takecareofthepennies
    • By Takecareofthepennies 13th Feb 07, 7:37 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Takecareofthepennies
    • 13th Feb 07, 7:37 PM
    • 13th Feb 07, 7:37 PM
    I'm not knocking SpeedFerries - they've done a great job bringing prices in the Channel down again to a more realistic level. BUT: You always get what you pay for! Fly no-frills and pay for your sandwich. Sail SpeedFerries and be prepared for operational problems (they still have only the one boat) and patchy back-office service ...

Depending on where on the Continent you are headed, you might want to check out Transeuropaferries. A little-known operator running a few older-style boats on the Ramsgate - Ostend route. Mainly geared towards freight, but they do take cars as well. Very friendly on-board service. Pricing quite reasonable i.m.h.o. and straightforward.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

200Posts Today

1,753Users online

Martin's Twitter