Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 17th Jun 08, 6:26 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Do you ask for new shoes?
    • 17th Jun 08, 6:26 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Do you ask for new shoes? 17th Jun 08 at 6:26 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Do you ask for new shoes?

You go to a house warming party kitted out in your best gear but the host, gives you slippers and says please leave your new 150 designer stillettos/Italian leather loafers at the door with everyone else's shoes to stop dirt. When leaving your shoes have gone. After a week the host still can't find them, and you're fed up. Do you ask for new shoes?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
    Should Heather take the money and run?
    Would you contribute to the cost of repair?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 1
  • Skippy2roo
    • 17th Jun 08, 9:27 PM
    • 17th Jun 08, 9:27 PM
    Damn right i'd ask for new shoes, and give them a time frame in which to replace
  • claire2007
    • 17th Jun 08, 10:32 PM
    • 17th Jun 08, 10:32 PM
    Reminds me of a certain SATC episode!
    • shellsuit
    • By shellsuit 17th Jun 08, 10:34 PM
    • 23,017 Posts
    • 41,912 Thanks
    shellsuit
    • 17th Jun 08, 10:34 PM
    • 17th Jun 08, 10:34 PM
    I wouldn't ask for new shoes because I would never leave 150 shoes from my side ~ I would have carried them with me!

But, say for arguments sake, I did leave them, then Yes, I'd ask for new shoes and ask the host just what scally wags she had invited!
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
    • Contains Mild Peril
    • By Contains Mild Peril 18th Jun 08, 12:07 AM
    • 4,058 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    Contains Mild Peril
    • 18th Jun 08, 12:07 AM
    • 18th Jun 08, 12:07 AM
    What an awful position for the host to find themselves in! I'd be mortified if I found that one of my guests had stolen another's shoes, thereby casting suspicion on any of my friends who had the opportunity. I'm assuming the host has, by this time, already phoned round everyone to check that no-one took the wrong shoes by accident.
    I would hope, though, that the host in that situation would offer at least to make a contribution towards new shoes without being asked. If they can afford to by slippers for all their guests (presumably having to buy extras too since they wouldn't know the guests' shoe sizes) then they can probably manage to replace the shoes. I would never spend that much money on shoes though. If it was near my birthday/ Christmas and/ or the host was someone who would normally give me something, I'd try to make it less embarrassing for all concerned by subtly suggesting that new shoes might be a particularly welcome birthday/ Xmas gift.
    Last edited by Contains Mild Peril; 18-06-2008 at 12:11 AM.
  • ovetta2001
    • 18th Jun 08, 12:11 AM
    • 18th Jun 08, 12:11 AM
    I would have to say yes.
    If the host insisted that I wear their footwear that is fine
    But they should have put my shoes in a smart place!
    Debts: Gym 465.75 Student account 1039.88 Overdraft 129.00 Credit Card 2772.22 Loan 6222.01
    Total 10628.86
    All paid off! 10/03/2009
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 18th Jun 08, 6:30 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    • 18th Jun 08, 6:30 AM
    • 18th Jun 08, 6:30 AM
    Definately. If the situation were reversed I would expect to compensate my guest since it was my fault.

Although to be honest I don't think I would attend a house warming party of anyone who was snooty enough to expect guests to remove shoes. If the house is that immacculate why bother having a party there? It will only get dirty anyway.
    • northernlass
    • By northernlass 18th Jun 08, 7:09 AM
    • 903 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    northernlass
    • 18th Jun 08, 7:09 AM
    • 18th Jun 08, 7:09 AM
    i would ask for a replacement though i would hope not to be put in that position and the host should offer to replace them first after doing everything they can to find them, i know i would, we all know money is tight but if you can host a party like that and buy slippers for everyone else then you can afford to replace the taken shoes.
    if slippers were required then why didnt the host add that onto the invitation then everyone would have brought their own and not have felt the need to wear such expensive footwear anyway as no one would see it.
    DFW red and green member
    Doing my best to lose weight and save money
    • Dorrie
    • By Dorrie 18th Jun 08, 7:24 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Dorrie
    • 18th Jun 08, 7:24 AM
    • 18th Jun 08, 7:24 AM
    I would expect the host to pay for the new shoes as they were left in an unsuitable place on their insistance. As others have said, it is a bit odd to start with that they have a housewarming party and then don't want any mess! Were people allowed to eat or drink indoors at this party?

Their insurance would cover a lot of the cost of the shoes anyway - provided that their excess is minimal (£50 say).

Although I have said they should pay, it wouldn't happen with my shoes as I have to have them made through the Surgical Appliance Clinic at my local hospital, so no-one would steal them in the first place!
    • emmy05
    • By emmy05 18th Jun 08, 7:28 AM
    • 1,951 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    emmy05
    to be fair, i wouldnt wear them unless i knew i was going to be wearing them ALL night

• northernlass
    • By northernlass 18th Jun 08, 7:43 AM
    • 903 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    northernlass
    to be fair, i wouldnt wear them unless i knew i was going to be wearing them ALL night
    Originally posted by emmy05
    yes but unless it stated on the invite that slippers would need to be worn you would expect to be wearing them all night wouldnt you.
    DFW red and green member
    Doing my best to lose weight and save money
  • babyharry5
    How bizarre to be all togged up and then put a pair of slippers on??
    I would defiintely have carried my shoes around with me and not left them anywhere.
    But to be honest depending on how close a friend it was, I would probably leave the party early and go out on the town instead!
    no point in making all that effort to dress up and then walk round someones house in their slippers!!
    • EverDecreasingCircles
    • By EverDecreasingCircles 18th Jun 08, 8:08 AM
    • 6,461 Posts
    • 139,319 Thanks
    EverDecreasingCircles
    I'd never spend 150 on shoes in the first place

However, for the sake of this thread, no I wouldn't ask for them to be replaced. I would have taken 'steps' to make sure they were safe in the first place.

Jen x
    Biggest win: 10,000 from Pepsi
    Favourite win: Handmade jewellery worth 1000
    ITV Winners Club Member #1
    Check out the ITV Winners Club in IWIWIW
    I shall write in ever decreasing circles until I have nothing left to say
    • Corona
    • By Corona 18th Jun 08, 8:20 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    Corona
    Well, clearly, the shoes have been stolen so I would have thought the first thing to ask your host to do is to inform the police? Give them a list of who was at the party and they can take it from there ...

If your host doesn't want to do this, then, yes, I'm afraid I would insist on replacements. Whether they cough up themselves or claim it from their insurance, that's up to them, but they did insist you took them off and didn't give you a secure place to leave them, and it's their home, so it's their responsibility.
  • toys19
    If you can afford 150 shoes you can afford to be magnanimous. Forget about the shoes but remember that somone at that party is thieving scoundrel
  • Shytalker
    As a bloke I would never own such an outrageously priced pair of shoes anyway but, seriously, the host should take responsibility and pay.

In fact they should be so mortified that they should offer to pay without being asked.

If you wear such an expensive outfit, it is likely that the host has plenty of dosh too, although they might not yet have sorted out their insurance.

They might then ponder which of their so-called friends was the lousy toe-rag who stole them and never invite them round again.
  • liz105
    As this is straight out of an episode of SATC I'd do what Carrie does...after being fed up of spending out thousands on the host with gifts over the years she announces she's marrying herself and registers at the shop she bought the shoes at. She sends one invitation (to the host) who then buys the shoes as the 'wedding gift'. A beautiful way to make a point.

Failing that I'd call the police and shame my host into replacing the shoes.
    Mummy to two girls, 4 & 1, been at home for four years, struggling to contend with the terrifying thought of returning to work.
  • stationaryace
    wow is someone a closet SATC fan? I would ask for them to be replaced if the host hadn't already offered- the price of them is beside the point really, as what is obscene to one person is a treat for another. i'd love to have 150 shoes to wear but not there yet...or anytime soon really...
    when the first cup of coffee tastes like washing up she knows she's losing it
    • bigpat
    • By bigpat 18th Jun 08, 9:42 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    bigpat
    150 ???!!! That's probably more than i've spent on all my shoes together in th last five years (Yes...I'm a man )

The host should have warned people in advance that they would have to wear slippers (at this bizarre party) and should have arranged a locked bedroom to store everyone's shoes in.

Yes. I'd ask for my shoes to be replaced, but would I still have the receipt to prove they cost 150?
  • TeaClipper
    Must admit, I always take my shoes off whenever I enter anyone's house (as do most of my friends) - must be a continental upbringing! If it's a house warming, the host probably feels they've spent enough money on new flooring to try and ensure this stays in good nick for as long as possible and isn't made grubby within a few days.

Also, I do actually have a (admittedly small) supply of slippers - one size fits all - which I offer guests when they come into the house, so the comment from a previous poster that the host must have money to throw around
    host a party like that and buy slippers for everyone else then you can afford to replace the taken shoes
    doesn't necessarily apply.

However, for the sake of this thread, no I wouldn't ask for them to be replaced. I would have taken 'steps' to make sure they were safe in the first place. (plus 150 for a pair of shoes !!!!!!!!!)
    Love, Peace & Harmony (can all be free !!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

2,429Users online

Martin's Twitter