Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 10th Jun 08, 4:06 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    The Great 'Holiday Inspiration' Hunt
    • 10th Jun 08, 4:06 PM
    0 WOW
    The Great 'Holiday Inspiration' Hunt 10th Jun 08 at 4:06 PM
    The holiday season's officially upon us, and with late package deals aplenty, the hardest question to answer's often 'but where to go?'

So, this week I want to tap MoneySavers' collective ideas for cheap-but-great holiday destinations, to make choosing a getaway that little bit easier for others.

If you're looking to book a late deal, read the Package Holiday Late Deals article.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 10-06-2008 at 4:37 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 10th Jun 08, 7:13 PM
    • 9,771 Posts
    • 23,798 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    • 10th Jun 08, 7:13 PM
    • 10th Jun 08, 7:13 PM
    we're off to spain for a cheap break on the 23rd. reading the tripadvisor forums, it does seem that a lot of europe is bracing up for a poor season as the credit crunch and strong pound/weak euro bites. it seems that if you want more bang for your buck, turkey, bulgaria and croatia are the places to go.

there seems to be an awful lot of interest in camping, so perhaps a camping info hunt would be a good idea?
    know thyself

MFW 2018 #22 - £2180.08 /£6,000 (36%)
    MFi3 v4 #29 target £75,000

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • dmg24
    • 10th Jun 08, 7:35 PM
    • 10th Jun 08, 7:35 PM
    Is this one of those 'how long is a piece of string' articles? :confused:

My biggest piece of advice - never book a package holiday! They are rarely better value than DIY, and the days of last minute bargains are long gone.

Next thing - search around on the Travel board. You are never going to get all the information on one thread!

I agree with pavlovs_dog about the Euro at the mo, and going to Disneyworld in the US can work out as cheap as EuroDisney!

Where would I recommend for people to go? Marrakech is fab but very hot in the summer, as is Madrid (fab and hot!). TBH for the summer months I would stick to our own coastline, and save going overseas until it is shockingly cold here!

A little tip on Butlins - on quieter weeks (in school term!), if you don't want to go on one of the specified packages, you can get good deals for odd nights (or two) by calling direct to the centre, waiting for the operator, and asking to speak to their reservations team (i.e. don't use central reservations). They will be wanting to fill any last minute rooms, and sometimes you can even barter with them! A few years back I got a basic half board room for two for £18! x
  • martinlewisfanclub
    • 10th Jun 08, 11:02 PM
    Holiday Exchange - house swap perhaps?!
    • 10th Jun 08, 11:02 PM
    How about money savers setting up a house swap scheme? I remember a TV series a few years back and it seemed quite successful. With the Sterling/Euro exchange so poor, carbon footprints large etc, swapping homes could be good. Loads of places in the UK I'd love to visit.
    Not sure if I'd like to have strangers in my house but perhaps someone has tried and can recommend a company?
  • dmg24
    • 10th Jun 08, 11:03 PM
    • 10th Jun 08, 11:03 PM
    How about money savers setting up a house swap scheme? I remember a TV series a few years back and it seemed quite successful. With the Sterling/Euro exchange so poor, carbon footprints large etc, swapping homes could be good. Loads of places in the UK I'd love to visit.
    Not sure if I'd like to have strangers in my house but perhaps someone has tried and can recommend a company?
    Originally posted by martinlewisfanclub
    Lots of posts on this already - search the Travel board!
    • Engadine
    • By Engadine 10th Jun 08, 11:41 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 1,544 Thanks
    Engadine
    • 10th Jun 08, 11:41 PM
    • 10th Jun 08, 11:41 PM
    I do have to agree with dmg24 about late deal bargains, these days are long gone, you can still get some good deals but not as cheap as in the past. Fuel surcharges are pushing up the price of flights.

Dynamic packaging can save a lot of money in most cases but is not always guaranteed.

The States is better value for money at the moment than Europe, your money will go a bit further.

I would recommend Nerja on the Costa del Sol, great place, still very Spanish and hot in the summer. I also love Sorrento fab food and wine.
    Debt free since 31/01/08

• lesandflynny
    • 11th Jun 08, 7:46 AM
    Mojacar ... absolutely beautiful
    • 11th Jun 08, 7:46 AM
    My top tip is a place called Mojacar in Almeria southern spain. Monarch fly to almeria and you can hire a car through carjet or get a bus. School hols with 2 adults, 4 children car and luxary 6 man apartment is costing just short of 2000 for a fortnight. The apartment has all mod cons so we travel light and wash clothes, shop at the huge supermarket and eat breaky by the apartment pool or on the patio overlooking the med. Make pack lunches and cold drinks for beach where there are miles and miles of beautiful, peacful coastline and eat out occassionally in the evening - we take our children to local hotels to join disco and watch free shows... we buy drinks and some food and have never been unwelcome.
    All told with insurance we could holiday for £2.600 - with the luxary of a private apartment and a pool, sat tv, air con, etc. To go through travel agents to a packed hotel for 6 of us, even with free child places it is 3k+ for a family of 6.

any questions please ask

Di
    Oh how I dream............
  • TraceyB
    • 11th Jun 08, 8:58 AM
    • 11th Jun 08, 8:58 AM
    I do have to agree with dmg24 about late deal bargains, these days are long gone, you can still get some good deals but not as cheap as in the past. Fuel surcharges are pushing up the price of flights.

Dynamic packaging can save a lot of money in most cases but is not always guaranteed.

The States is better value for money at the moment than Europe, your money will go a bit further.

I would recommend Nerja on the Costa del Sol, great place, still very Spanish and hot in the summer. I also love Sorrento fab food and wine.
    Originally posted by Engadine
    I second Nerja - but I'm biased as my lovely Aunty lives there! Some nice day trips to be had too.
  • alph250
    • 11th Jun 08, 9:00 AM
    • 11th Jun 08, 9:00 AM
    If you can stand the heat try Egypt

I booked through UK travelshop flying from Gatwick staying at Falcon hills hotel for 2 weeks all inclusive end of June for £850!!!! for 2 people inc taxes etc

Its really cheap over there, go quadbiking for the afternoon for £15 per person! and eat out inc a bottle of wine for less than £5 a head, yeah okay the wine was suspect but perfectly drinkable. And the snorkelling is amazing!
    • spirit
    • By spirit 11th Jun 08, 9:01 AM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 6,255 Thanks
    spirit
    These late deal bargains are all very well for couples but not for singles like me. 'd like to find a great deal on a holiday Sep/Oct time. I'd look at pretty much anywhere, prefer all inclusive. bargains are rare I feel - unless someone knows different?
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
  • Incapuppy
    These late deal bargains are all very well for couples but not for singles like me. 'd like to find a great deal on a holiday Sep/Oct time. I'd look at pretty much anywhere, prefer all inclusive. bargains are rare I feel - unless someone knows different?
    Originally posted by spirit
    Mercury Direct offer quite a few holidays with no single supplements at a range of properties throughout the year.
    • ElleWoods
    • By ElleWoods 11th Jun 08, 9:55 AM
    • 391 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    ElleWoods
    Struggling to find a holiday as a single parent
    Iíve been looking for a holiday for either this Sept/Oct or next year sometime for myself and my son, who is 2 next week, and Iím having a nightmare! Having phoned several travel agents, both high street ones and cheaper ones off Teletext and the like, Iíve been told that as a single parent I will have to pay the full adult price for my son! Free child places are only given to children on holiday with two full fare paying adults. Even properties with a so-called Ďsingle parent offerí end up expensive as Iíd get stung on the room supplements, as these properties tend to have prices based on 3 or 4 sharing, so I canít win! That means that holidays which seem cheap at first glance, like last minute deals, end up expensive when paying the full adult price for us both. Iíve priced up booking flights and accommodation separately but thatís just as expensive, plus Iíd have the hassle of sorting transfers etc.
    I donít want to ask a friend to come with us as I work full time and hardly see my son in the week, so I want to spend some quality time with just me and him. Does anyone have any suggestions of more reasonably priced holidays for single parents?
    Thanks,
    CC
  • dmg24
    Originally posted by spirit
    I would definitely go DIY if you are travelling alone.

When I have priced up packages, I have often found the price to be double that of the advertised price for one (based on two sharing!), so implying that you are paying for an empty seat on the plane!

I'll be back in Marrakech in September. I find it a great place to meet people if you want to, but equally you can wonder off and do your own thing. There are a few all inclusive resorts, or you could combine it with a few days on the coast? x
    • spirit
    • By spirit 11th Jun 08, 10:27 AM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 6,255 Thanks
    spirit
    thanks dmg24 - I don't know how you so the quote thingy on the post btw.

I went to Jordan with VJV in 2006 on my own as they had a few no single supplements. they don't have anything this year that takes my fancy though. I have looked at Just You and Solo's etc but they are just as expensive as 'normal' package holidays for 2.

I guess it's a little scary organising the whole trip independently as they make it easy with the packages - you just bowl up at the airport and from then on you are in the system.

How do you find hotels who will deal direct with you?

thank you

christina
    • RedHEAD
    • By RedHEAD 11th Jun 08, 11:22 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RedHEAD
    Single parent holidays
    Been in the same situation as Cuba Cat - have you tried Gingerbread/One Parent Families? They have a travel club I think, or a company that deals with single parents. Also try your union if you're in one - Unison has a travel club for members and may be able to get special deals

Good luck!
  • Incapuppy
    Re: single parents - I remember seeing a guy in an airport (sorry - I can't remember if we were returning from Sri Lanka or Luxor) with his daughter and he was wearing a 'small familes' t-shirt. Perhaps this may be of use:

http://www.smallfamilies.co.uk/
    Last edited by Incapuppy; 11-06-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    • Tojo Ralph
    • By Tojo Ralph 11th Jun 08, 11:55 AM
    • 7,841 Posts
    • 12,268 Thanks
    Tojo Ralph
    Is this one of those 'how long is a piece of string' articles? :confused:
    Originally posted by dmg24
    No ..... It's one of them.... "I have been asked if I will do a piece on cheap-but-great holiday destinations and need you lot to provide me with the basis for it"....

Anyway, because one persons cheap-but-great holiday is another persons holiday-from-hell, I am going to go with Egypt, because it caters for all tastes from the football shirted Beer and British food brigade, to those with far more refined tastes and on every level it is a Billy bargain. However, whilst the package deal will be the cheapest way of getting a holiday, it certainly won't IMHO be the best value for money. Hotels and resorts in Egypt are really suffering just now and you can cut good deals on room rates, often getting the local rate or a discounted residents rate rather than the naturally inflated foreigner rates. I am therefore in the avoid package deals camp and recommend booking flights and accomodation seperately, cutting a deal direct with the hotel/s.
    Last edited by Tojo Ralph; 11-06-2008 at 12:08 PM.
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • linden
    Do you have a separate bit for single travellers ?
    Whenever I look at offers they only apply "per person sharing"

Friendship Travel (for single people) has last minute deals .

Does anyone know of an effective lobby group for single people ?

Is there a special place on MSE for single people to discuss and campaign - there are so many ways in which they are treated differently .

Linden
    Last edited by linden; 11-06-2008 at 12:13 PM.
  • Cherylt
    FAO Cuba Cat
    Hi there...if you are looking for self catering, I'd really recommend a DIY package. We book through this company http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/ and the prices in Sept/Oct drop right down. You pay a fixed price for the accommodation - none of this 'free child places but prices are for 4 and a child doesnt count as a person so there's an under-occupancy charge' rubbish. Add in some budget flights and you can holiday really cheaply and very well.
  • camper55
    I run a VW camper hire business in Dorset, our campers sleep 4 or more with an awning, have great campsites nearby, we provide a bike rack and surf and wetsuit hire.

You cannot beat the South Coast in the summer!

Take a look at www.southcoastcampers.com

Cheers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,253Posts Today

5,879Users online

Martin's Twitter