Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Loadsabob
    Freezing home made pizza and dough
    • 27th Jun 05, 12:17 PM
    Freezing home made pizza and dough 27th Jun 05 at 12:17 PM
    Hello all - I made the best pizza EVER a few weeks ago, and froze a lot of rolled out bases.

Yesterday, I used two of these bases, from frozen (though they were probably thawed out by the time I finished topping them), and they weren't very good at all. I made them thin bases, deliberately, but the first time round, when the dough was fresh, they ros e a little bit, giving a lovely light, floppy base. This time the base was like cardboard, very tough.

Any thoughts? Should I have par-baked them before freezing? Should I have baked them from frozen before topping?....

It's a learning curve, isn't it?!!!
Page 3
  • Gingernutmeg
    I freeze the dough in portions. Freezing doesn't kill yeast, it just sends it to sleep so it's fine to freeze bread dough. I put the dough portion into a bag, seal it tightly and it's fine - I just take it out in the morning, leave it in the fridge all day and then take it out about twenty minutes before I need it, so it warms up. As it thaws out it rises slowly so you get a good flavour from it having two rises. Then I roll out the dough, p-rick it well all over and bake it off for about five minutes before I top it.

• babyblooz
    • By babyblooz 5th Apr 08, 11:17 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 2,503 Thanks
    babyblooz
    thanks for all the info everyone! It's ham and mushroom pizza for us come tea-time!
    please play nicely children !
  • jessbrown100
    Pizza Making
    Hi all!
    If this has already been asked please feel free to move or delete this. I'm wanting to do some HM pizzas to freeze as easy 'ready meals'. Has anyone done this successfully and does anyone have any tips? Also, what do you use to keep them flat while freezing them? Do any companies do hygienic cardboard rounds that you can freeze them on?
    Thanks,
    Jess x

• 10past6
    Hi Jess

When I make HM pizza's I use nan bread: spread some tomato puree on, followed by whatever you want, tuna / chicken, etc, etc, add some tomato's and mushrooms top with grated cheese, pop under the grill for 5 / 10 minutes.

I don't freeze them as there just as easy to make.

HTH
    Click here for Martins (MSE) advice on who to contact with Debt Issues - YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE A FEE PAYING DEBT MANAGEMENT COMPANY- THEY CANNOT DO ANYMORE FOR YOU THAN THOSE LISTED IN MY LINK ABOVE.

All information given by myself is offered informally and without prejudice - if in doubt seek help from a qualified and insured professional
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 1st Jun 08, 7:03 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    You can freeze them on the baking tray to keep them flat. Then remove from the tray once frozen and place in a freezer bag.

Nikki
    x
  • kb36
    I use a scone based pizza recipe for mine and freeze the dough balls in portions big enough for one. Defrosts quickly, roll it out and add the toppings - it takes a couple of minutes. I'll give you the recipe if you are interested......
    • twink
    • By twink 1st Jun 08, 7:11 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    I use a scone based pizza recipe for mine and freeze the dough balls in portions big enough for one. Defrosts quickly, roll it out and add the toppings - it takes a couple of minutes. I'll give you the recipe if you are interested......
    Originally posted by kb36
    wouldnt mind your recipe for the base, my breadmaker isnt working now
  • archived user
    I must say, i am completely useless at making pizzas, i put in the oven something that looks rather half decent and when it comes out you break your teeth trying to get through the edges of the crust. I wouldnt mind, but the middle has cooked perfectly.
  • jessbrown100
    Thanks all!
    10past6, that is a good idea and I'd love it but DH is a little bit of a purist so might have a go when he's at work!
    Nikki, doh! can't believe that I didn't think of that! I am such a numpty sometimes, will definitely do that.
    kb36, yes please , I can remember making scone based pizzas when I was at school and they were yum, am a better at making scones then bread so think it might work for me (might not tell DH it's a scone base until he's tried it though lol).
    Judy, I know exactly what you mean! My HM bread is very hit and miss and think this may be reflected in my pizza dough!

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 2nd Jun 08, 6:48 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Everything you ever wanted to know...

The Complete Pizza Collection
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • beedeedee
    • By beedeedee 2nd Jun 08, 6:59 AM
    • 973 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    beedeedee
    I use a Bero plain scone recipe and depending on how many it's for, I roll it and bake in an oblong grill pan (!lb flour serves 4) or a squarish oven tray (2lbs flour serves 8). If for a buffet or picnic, slice it into 16-18. Saves a fortune and tastes delish.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 2nd Jun 08, 7:05 AM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I got the following from Pandora when I asked about her pizza bases. I par cook them now and they come out well after being frozen.

QUOTE PANDORA123

The dough recipe I use is from the BBC Good Food magazine's Christmas veggie issue from a couple of years ago. It makes two pizza crusts, 33cm in diameter. I bought my pizza pans last fall from Carrefour in France, they are enamel (I don't use Teflon, and it seems that's all you can get in this country) and have holes in the bottom so that the crust gets crisp.

225ml warm water
    1-1/8 teaspoon dried yeast
    pinch of sugar
    340g strong white flour (this time I made with around 1/4 whole wheat flour)
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil

Put water in a container (I use a glass measuring cup) and nuke until it is blood-warm, around 30 seconds on high (test on your wrist). Add sugar and yeast, and set aside to prove for 10 minutes or so (until it gets foamy).

Combine flour & salt. When yeast is ready, stir in olive oil, then add this mixture to the flour. Stir until more or less combined, then turn out onto the counter. Knead for 10 minutes (adding more flour if the dough is too sticky), then form into a ball. Put in a greased bowl (large enough to allow for rising), cover and set aside in a warm place for 1-1/2 hours, or until dough has doubled.

Punch dough down and divide into two equal pieces. Roll each half of dough out on a floured countertop, then transfer to greased
    pizza pans (I usually roll out to about 3/4 of the final size, then finish stretching it into shape on the pizza pan). I then usually let it rise again for 15 minutes or more (this time I let it rise for around 45 minutes, as I had to go to the store).

Preheat oven to 230C. Cook
    pizzabases for six minutes (turn around after three minutes), then let cool on a wire rack. When cool, I wrap the bases in foil, put them in plastic bags and freeze them.

When I'm ready to make
    pizza, I take the bases out of the freezer, add sauce and toppings, and bake in a 230C oven until the crust is crispy (usually around 30 minutes). I cover the pizza with foil except the last 5 or 10 minutes because I use non-dairy cheese (Cheezly), and it dries out if cooked at high temperature without being covered. If you use dairy cheese and don't cover the pizza, it probably won't take 30 minutes to cook.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
  • champys
    I make the pizza dough in the breadmaker, shape into pizza's and let them prove for 30 mins or so with the tomato sauce already on them. (Personally I don't use 'sauce', just tinned tomatoes, well drained and briefly whizzed in food processor) Once proved, I pre-bake them in a 200° oven for 17 minutes. Or less - until the base just starts to colour a little at the edges. Then I take them out, let cool and freeze.
    When using, I take the frozen base, add whatever topping and bake for 10 minutes again at 200°. Works perfectly every time!
    It makes a very 'thin & crispy' base. I am now on the lookout for a deep-pan version.... just for a change.
  • kb36
    Scone based pizza/dough ball recipe
    really easy and tasty...!

150g plain flour
    25g butter
    25g grated cheese
    just under 1/4 pint of milk
    pinch of salt

Sieve flour, rub butter into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs then add grated cheese. Add enough milk to form dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead well. Allow to rest if possible or freeze in individual portions. When rested/defrosted make dough balls to serve with garlic butter (a la Pizza Express) or flatten as thin as possible for pizza base. Add tomato/pesto sauce and toppings of your choice. Cook in a middle oven @ 220C for 10 -12 minutes until top is bubbling and base is springy.

Probably makes around 4 individual pizza bases for quantities given, I always double and freeze half.
    • twink
    • By twink 2nd Jun 08, 9:34 AM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    thanks for the recipe kb36

i have found my recipe, havent tried it yet but saves putting on the oven just for me

4oz sr flour
    1tsp baking powder
    4tbsps oil and seasoning, i might add dried mixed herbs

mix dry ingredients with 2 tbsps of the oil and enough water to make a soft dough, knead gently and roll out to fit a frying pan

put remaining oil in pan and heat add dough and cook 3 mins then turn, put topping on, tomato puree, tuna, sweetcorn, cheese etc, put lid on and cook gently 5 mins
  • kb36
    Just checked out your hobnob recipe Twink and made them with my daughter - delicious and enough to last for a while. Kids delighted that they had a 'treat' after tea tonight. I remember reading about them but never got round to making them until now. They are about to become a family favourite! Thanks
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 2nd Jun 08, 6:15 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    This is the recipe I use for pizzas:

Pizza Dough Recipe - makes 1 pizza

225g Strong Bread Flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp easy blend yeast
    150ml warm water
    1 tbsp olive oil

Mix the flour, salt & yeast together in a bowl
    Add the water and olive oil and kneed until you have a smooth dough
    Cover the bowl and allow to prove for at least 30 minutes
    Knead again, then roll out, add toppings and bake Gas7/ 220C 20mins.

Can freeze the bases with/without toppings and cook from frozen (increase cooking time by about 5mins)

Nikki
    x
    • Andy Hamilton
    • By Andy Hamilton 2nd Jun 08, 10:00 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 577 Thanks
    Andy Hamilton
    After loads of different attempts I now used Asda pizza base mix from the flour isle. 54p for 2 separate 10" bases is great value and the taste is fantastic!

I really like stuff crusts, I tried dairylea slices as the cheese and I think it tastes great (if not slightly more childish side showing through)
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth 100K, it drops 20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay 200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • halloweenqueen
    Does anyone make those sort of tear and share garlic balls that you can buy, I like them but don't buy them except when reduced, so thought might make my own but when I did they were foul!
  • Isis Black
    I ahve made garlic butter and garlic bread in the past but with Garlic balls would teh garlic go inside the balls before cooking to then soak into the dough while cooking??!
    I love War Of The Worlds
    Justin Hayward Rules with Forever Autumn
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

865Posts Today

6,666Users online

Martin's Twitter