Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 27
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 1st Jun 08, 10:06 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar

Another thing---what IS pesto? If I made my own [all & any types of recipes gratefully received ] would it be suitable for a dip like you get in little jars, to have with tortilla chips?

I'm a pain I know, but now I've a chance to expand my culinary repertoire I wunna use it to the best of my--more importantly, economical--ability. TIA.
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    I think a basic one would be basil, pine nuts, extra virgin olive oil and parmesan cheese. Not sure the quantities although am sure someone on here will have a recipe for it!
    You can also have varations, rocket pesto (rocket and not basil), red pesto (tomatoes) and also some other green things too (parsley maybe ?). I personally think it might be a bit too oily to dip tortillas in but this might not be everyones opinion!
    How about a nice salsa or spring onion/cream cheese dip for putting tortillas in ? One that note any nice peoples got a lovely salsa recipe ?
    ta
    hth
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 01-06-2008 at 10:09 AM.
    • skintscotslass
    • By skintscotslass 1st Jun 08, 10:13 AM
    • 2,901 Posts
    • 45,286 Thanks
    skintscotslass
    Morning all

Another 4.83 to add. I did some baking for the church fundraiser. Twinks hob nobs went down a treat, but my tablet didnt work :confused: Its still soft (I made it on Friday night!). My mum reckons I can boil it up again and I'm borrowing a sugar thermometer from one of her friends. Are there any expert tablet makers out there?

Tablet is Scottish, difficult to describe, extremely sweet, like fudge but hard :rolleyes:
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 1st Jun 08, 10:18 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Morning all

Another £4.83 to add. I did some baking for the church fundraiser. Twinks hob nobs went down a treat, but my tablet didnt work :confused: Its still soft (I made it on Friday night!). My mum reckons I can boil it up again and I'm borrowing a sugar thermometer from one of her friends. Are there any expert tablet makers out there?

Tablet is Scottish, difficult to describe, extremely sweet, like fudge but hard:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by skintscotslass
    Hi, I made tablet for church meal a few weeks back- it did not set (poured late afternoon and not set by nearly bed time) so I just tipped back in a pot and heated, this time more fiercely and for a bit longer! Poured into tray again, then refrigerated once cooled. Set a treat and everyone said they liked it. It was just like Scottish tablet (although they call tablet 'fudge' here)!
    hth
    PS Not professing to being an expert just wanted to share my experience!
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 1st Jun 08, 10:23 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    Was trying for another NSD but went to carboot and bought a Doz free range eggs 1.60 catering foil and grease proof paper.
    My freezer is full and don't really need anything for the next week but will be going shopping with sis so between us we can use the Mr M voucher even if it means just buying things like toilet rolls etc.
    Any one got a good recipe for fish cakes or fish pie I need to use up the fish in the freezer.
    Better get on my mother is looking after my DD so I can get her bedroom painted.
    GC 7.79/225 per month ~ wk1 7.79/ 50
    • domestic goddess
    • By domestic goddess 1st Jun 08, 10:28 AM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 2,266 Thanks
    domestic goddess
    Well I just popped on to update my sig with my spend so far.

I am really pleased as we didn't do our usual last week, we normally do our weekly shop and then pop to Tesco's about three times and end up buying things we don't need.

The freezers are pretty well stocked for this week, which is a good job as we did pop to Morrisons last night ans spend 23.00, this included a bottle of Vodka and a few little extras that we needed. My budget works out to about 50 per week, so I have about 27.00 left for this week. Shouldn't be a problem..... Hopefully!!!

I have a recipie for pancakes that I found in my Nigella cook book. You make the dried mixture up in bulk and then just take what you need and add milk and melted butter to it to mix....... They look like the little ones that you get from Macdonalds for breakfast so I am going to try those out today.

Anyway off to sort out my menu plan for the week now....
    Learning to live a more frugal lifestyle with my family
  • Tashja
    Hi all

I am aiming for a NS week - just looked in the 2 freezers, fridge, 2 kitchen cupboards and 2 store cupboards and we have loads - too muh in fact

So going to meal plan this week and possibly next week and I really can't see us needing anyting !!!

Going to have a big bake day today too.

Hope everyone is ok and fighting fit ((hugs))

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - 20.01
  • dink1
    hi all hoping for a nsd
    HI guys!

Gosh this thread is moving fast - hugs to all that need them.

Mandimoo - I agree about the list it really helps although am still a sucker for stuff not on my list any tips for that?

AnitaJ73 - you will get addicted to cooking, I am not much of a cook but have had a this last month!!!

Yellow Monkey - Let us know how your shop went as stated yesterday I failed miserably when I took the munchkins and DH with me!!!!

Denise Fowler - sorry if you already know but Mr A and Mr T's milk is on offer finishing tomorrow 2x3 pints for 2 and 2x6 pints for 3 - hence my freezer is fit to burst

Seashell - thats a good idea must do that myself then there is no hiding cos if its not in the account i dont spend it!

Scooterwife - welcome you'll love it hear everyone is very supportive and you can ask anything, being a newbie myself I am still learning but its fun and keeps me focused.

Oh well hoping for a NSD and next week only need F+V

Dink1
    JanGC 250/82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/86/cm40/9.50
  • savingfortravel
    Turbo5019-I asked for a fish pie recipe a few months back and were given these ideas-Also used pie Mrs Mc recommended (click here for link) www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3174/fish-pie which is delicious!
    Fish pie a la bobbykins:-

1 lb fish - any kind but I tend to use haddock or even cod if I'm feeling flush! - or you could use a mixture of types
    approx 1/2 pint milk
    1 heaped tablespoon flour
    A good handful chopped fresh parsley
    1 oz butter/marge
    A load of mashed potatoes!

Put the fish in a pan with just enough liquid to cover. You can use all milk but I use half and half milk/water. Add salt & pepper, a sprinkle of paprika if you have it, and a bay leaf. Poach gently for about 10 -15 ins until fish is cooked.

Remove the fish and retain the liquid. Flake the fish.

Make up the liquid to 1/2 pint with extra milk. Melt 1 oz butter in a pan. Remove from heat. Stir in the flour until it makes a smooth paste. Gradually add the milk, stirring all the time to stop it going lumpy. Return to heat and bring gently to the boil, STIRRING ALL THE TIME. Once boiling it will thicken. Add parsley and seasoning, simmer very gently for approx 3 minutes., stirring regularly.

Mix the fish and sauce lightly together with a fork. Brush a casserole dish with melted butter. Put the fish and sauce in the bottom. Top with lashings of mashed potatoes. Bung in the oven for approx 25 - 30 mins at gas mark 6 (200 degrees).
    Mama 67 Fish Pie

1lb white fish
    1pint milk (make up dried)
    1lb potatoes mashed
    4 boiled eggs
    4oz pl flour
    2oz butter

optional: chopped mushrooms prawns

poach fish in milk for approx 10 mins full power in micro
    drain and flake into a dish
    make a basic white sauce using the poaching milk- warm the milk add in the butter until melted then whisk in flour until a creamy sauce, can whizz with hand blender if necessary
    pour this a over the flaked fish and gently stir in
    add in halved boiled eggs and optional ingredients if using
    cover with mashed potatoes and bake for 20 - 30 mins oven 180C until golden
    can put grated cheese over top before baking if liked.

serve with colourful veggies

HTH

SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: 89.72 Voucher savings 8
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 1st Jun 08, 11:02 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    Turbo5019-I asked for a fish pie recipe a few months back and were given these ideas-Also used pie Mrs Mc recommended (click here for link) www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3174/fish-pie which is delicious!
    Originally posted by savingfortravel
    Thanks for that will give them ago this afternoon
    GC 7.79/225 per month ~ wk1 7.79/ 50
  • kiwi88
    Welcome to all our newbies you'll find a good home here

June budget 350 hoping for a lot less

Well have done my first June spend and total 82.28 Most of it fresh F&V and inc dog food which I had forgotten we were low on. DH was looking at fruit bushes/trees yesterday and I've had a look at seeds etc but haven't taken the plunge yet

Am now going to print and organise all the recipes I've saved from here (thanks to all of you ) and do some menu planning so here's hoping again for this month
    MFiT Member No 85
    Martin says NO
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 1st Jun 08, 11:27 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Denise Fowler - sorry if you already know but Mr A and Mr T's milk is on offer finishing tomorrow 2x3 pints for £2 and 2x6 pints for £3 - hence my freezer is fit to burst
    Originally posted by dink1

The offer doesnt finish until 15th June in MrT. Two more weeks HTH

I made some yummy fruity scones last night. OH and DS both loved them!

Fruity Scones

8 oz Plain Flour
    1½ tbsp Baking Powder
    Pinch of Salt
    2 oz Butter/Marge
    ½ oz Sugar
    2 oz Sultanas – you can use any fruit you like
    5 fl oz Milk

Preheat the oven Gas7/220C.
    Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
    Rub in the butter until resembles breadcrumbs.
    Add sugar and fruit, and then pour in the milk and mix to form a dough.
    Knead on floured surface and then roll out.
    Cut into circles and place on a lined/greased baking tray.
    Bake for 8-10mins until well risen and lightly brown.
    Allow to cool (didn’t manage that bit) before serving with jam & butter.
    Recipe says makes 4-6 but I made 18 small ones.

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 10-08-2008 at 3:38 PM.
  • lainz
    [quote=lainz;11358411]Been in the kitchen tonight as nothing on the telly and have made spinach lasagne and a version of MrsMc's spinach bread (anyone guess what's growing in my garden ) They were both nice - but just missing something :rolleyes: . Will have to see if I can cram them in my freezer! I have a 5ft one and it's just me !

quote]

I'd like to add that I've had some for my lunch and they were both nom nom, so note to self, wait for it to 'mature' and not try at the ooohhh aaahhh stage

Should be a nsd day - must get into the garden and plant out my butternuts and toms
  • beckseven
    Hello-I was wondering if I could join this challenge? My aim this month is to spend 300 but I am hoping to bring this gradually down as I am pregnant at the moment and need to get the grocery bills under control by the time i'm on maternity leave! I'm going to pinch the idea for the fish pie for our tea on thursday me thinks! I've got to go and get some veggies today but I will do my main shop in Tesco's tomorrow.
    HSBC Visa-High interest-2349.23 Nat West 2605.18
    My Overdraft-1500
    Barclaycard-1089.77
    Marks and Spencer card- 3331.30 next 92.67
    Total was 11066.29 now 10,968.15
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 1st Jun 08, 11:52 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Thanks Dink1, i did know, but always like to be reminded coz I often forget (they say its old age, I say it's coz i know so much something has to fall out! )

Have written my list and just double checking cupboards and stuff for anything I've missed - don't want to go out again! I know they'll be cuing up at the whoopsies counter, so may have to put some padding on to get in there

See you all when I get back - bruised and battered probably
    Den x
    LBM April 2013 - 29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC 783.75
    Barclaycard CC 1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC 1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD 1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - 95.00 budget / spend -
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 1st Jun 08, 11:55 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Breadsticks Recipe
    I found a recipe for breadsticks last night that doesnt include any salt - great for DS as he's only 20months old and shouldn't have more than 2g/day

Breadsticks Recipe

8 oz strong white/wholemeal bread flour
    ½ sachet/ ½ tsp fast action yeast
    1 oz melted butter
    1 tbsp olive oil
    3½ fl oz water (@ room temp)
    sesame seeds (optional - not suitable for under 3yrs)

Preheat oven Gas 6/220C
    Mix flour and yeast in a bowl.
    Pour in the oil, water and melted butter. Mix to form a dough.
    Divide into 15 pieces and roll to pencil shapes about 15cm long.
    Roll them in sesame seeds (if using) and then place on a greased/ lined tray
    Bake for 20mins until golden. Will keep in an airtight box for 1 week.

I think next time I make them I will make about 20 instead of 15 and I will roll them out a bit thinner.

Nikki
    x

Edit: gave these to DS today and he loved them. Sucess!!
    Last edited by angelnikki; 12-08-2008 at 9:58 PM.
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 1st Jun 08, 12:04 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Got some ham out of freezer last week for DS so that he could have ham sandwiches for his lungh (half term!) just been in fridge to check what I need and a whole unopened pack sitting there - expiry today!!!!

Does anyone know if I made up sandwiches with it today for hubby & DS next week then froze them, would this be freezing the ham twice and bad and would it still be OK when they got it out to eat, as eating on day of defrosting??? OOHHH, need to get the hang of this freezing lark
    LBM April 2013 - 29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC 783.75
    Barclaycard CC 1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC 1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD 1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - 95.00 budget / spend -
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 1st Jun 08, 12:08 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Got some ham out of freezer last week for DS so that he could have ham sandwiches for his lungh (half term!) just been in fridge to check what I need and a whole unopened pack sitting there - expiry today!!!!

Does anyone know if I made up sandwiches with it today for hubby & DS next week then froze them, would this be freezing the ham twice and bad and would it still be OK when they got it out to eat, as eating on day of defrosting??? OOHHH, need to get the hang of this freezing lark
    Originally posted by denisefowler
    I dont think you should refreeze meat unless its been recooked first. I would say that the expiry has been extended since they have been frozen? So I would still use next week but just sniff it first before you use. If it smells off it is. HTH

Nikki
    x
  • Judellie
    Hi everyone, hope you're all doing ok.
    It's the first day of this challenge for me today, so will try to resist the kids pleas for sweets and try to steer them in the direction of all the home baked goodies.
    Will have to do some shopping for packed lunches for next week and we need fruit and veg, but hopefully that's all.
    Does anyone know a recipe for either hard sweets (boiled type) or softer jelly type (haribo?) ones. They don't get them very often but they are sooo expensive.
    Baked 3 loaves of bread yesterday, fairy cakes, weetabix brownies (went down a treat) and 'belgian fingers'. The belgian fingers are the dough from an apple braid recipe on the storecupboard challange thread, made into fingers with sultanas in them. My boys can't get enough of them.
    Will update my sig after I've been shopping.

Jude xx
    GC June: 350/405.56
    GC July: 350 spent
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 1st Jun 08, 12:47 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    I found a recipe for breadsticks last night that doesnt include any salt - great for DS as he's only 20months old and shouldn't have more than 2g/day

Breadsticks Recipe

8 oz strong white/wholemeal bread flour
    sachet fast action yeast ( tsp?)
    1 oz melted butter
    1 tbsp olive oil
    3 fl oz water (@ room temp)
    sesame seeds (optional)

Preheat oven Gas 6/220C
    Mix flour and yeast in a bowl.
    Pour in the oil, water and melted butter. Mix to form a dough.
    Divide into 15 pieces and roll to pencil shapes about 15cm long.
    Roll them in sesame seeds (if using) and then place on a greased/ lined tray
    Bake for 20mins until golden. Will keep in an airtight box for 1 week.

Nikki
    x
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Thanks, might try this out for DS- he is 11 months
    • galadriel
    • By galadriel 1st Jun 08, 1:05 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    galadriel
    Don't forget Tesco will take sun vouchers I found Morrisons was more expensive and because I don't usually shop there didn't find much I wanted so will be using mine in Mr t's instead
    Originally posted by chocolateteddy
    Thanks, Tesco is twice as far away though and it also sells loads more stuff - too much temptation I think!! Might go next week though with one of the other vouchers. Am taking my supermarket list so will only buy what is equivalent price. Am also hoping they still have the storage boxes I bought a couple of months ago at 2 for a fiver. These were great when we were camping last weekend and could do with some more.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter