Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 23
  • Little_Belle
    Well last night we had a bill of 58 but nearly half of that was stocking up on cleaning bits and BOGOF hand soap, deoderant and reduced toothpaste *because the box was damaged!* stuff like that. Also treated the other half to dinner as its his birthday so more expensive than it could have been but im still quite impressed with myself that for the first time in ages the amount spent on food was only 30!

We had a vegie week last week and I actually feel much better for having had no meat, so from now on we are going to have half and half weeks, so I hope that out shopping bills will be much more around the 30 mark!
    Muddling through debt but can't see any light at the end of the tunnel??!! :confused:
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Afternoon all

Well i went back to the supermarket for the butter to find it had gone back up and was more expensive than i pay anyway :rolleyes: ..so i wouldn't bring any..luckily i was just going to stockpile whilst it was on offer i don't actually NEED any at the moment.. I did get the collapsible table n benches though well actually i got 1 hubby unpacked it and went back for another .. thought they are great for taking on picnics as the bench legs fold in and then they become the carry case..and the table fits inside as its aluminium slats, and it has a carry bag that unpops and becomes the bench covers...all for €29.99 ..and the benches will take over 240kilo so they are built well

i was thinking they would be great for bigger BBQs or when you have a buffet style meal as they will both line up along a wall so im happy...

We have just had some of the leftover chicken in a pasta salad..but when i stripped it off there was that much meat i have enough left for another 1 plus hubbys chicken n sweetcorn soup for tonight (have the bones boiling )... so that will be
    3 salads
    6 servings chicken pasta salad
    and 4 portions of soup

Hi KITTY on the weight loss...
    Im affraid im the opposite side of the coin to Victory .... i spent years WWing and have done all the others plus slimfast, lipo trim etc and went up n down like a wh*res drawers:rolleyes: -excuse the saying
    This time around i finally realised i needed to find a way i can eat for the rest of my life... so i have dumped most low fat, low sugar, diet products
    I have butter, full fat mayo, yogurts, milk etc, i do cook from scratch -but always have really.. at first it was quite scary as i was so conditioned to having low fat products i did expect to balloon even more.. but it hasn't happened... in fact i have lost every week -even whilst back home for xmas
    The way im eating now is so liberating as im not constantly thinking ooh can i have? or if we are going out im not panicing about how many points etc i have left to use..
    Over on the OS weightloss thread quite a few of us have gone back to "normal" foods and are finding it works.. i really do believe that all the synthetic stuff messes up your system and makes you crave more... well mine seems to... I get no cravings for junk at all not even when its TTOTM-which is a miracle
    I started in August and had no chocolate until xmas day -at my mums..but didn't enjoy it and have had none since -the smell of it makes me feel sick (although i did have the paul mckenna CD for a few weeks..so i think that might have done that he tells you to link your fave food to something you can't stand so i thought of choccy and remembered the taste of whiebait...the devils food and now if hubby has choc in the car i have to have the windows open )
    The basics i try and stick to are
    • I eat what i want when i want..so if i want cereal for lunch i will and if im hungry for lunch at 10.30 i will have it then -spent years think ooohhh dinner time -must eat :rolleyes:
    • I put out a sensible portion and tell myself that if im still hungry 30 mins after eating i can have something else -and it has never happened.. i have always had a hard time leaving anything on my plate
    • I have no good/bad foods.. so find that i naturally choose the healthier options -but if i want something like say an ice cream ..i enjoy it and then im done..no feeling like i have blown it so may as well eat more... in fact hubby has ice cream i pinch 1tsp and im satisfied ..and i used to adore ice cream-of any kind
    EKKKK sorry..better stop rambling... but i would suggest visiting us on the thread... its a really lovely group -if a little crazy at times.. everyone is so helpfull and always swapping hint n recipes.. and most importantly there is always someone there to cheer you along when things are going well and to pick you up when they aren't . Keep on going you are doing great.. there is no dealine is there? and every little bit off is taking us in the right direction
    i will go away now and be quiet
    Last edited by MRSMCAWBER; 31-05-2008 at 12:28 PM.
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • JennyBee
    Can't remember who asked for it, but this is the dough ball recipe that was posted on here a while ago!

to make 6 dough balls,
    you need

5fl oz water
    1tbsp olive oil
    1tsp salt
    1/2tsp sugar
    1/2tsp italian herbs or oregano
    2 cups strong flour
    1/2tsp dried yeast

make dough in the BM
    when its finished, divide it into 6 equal balls
    mix a bit of crushed garlic with some butter
    poke a finger into each dough ball, and put about 1/2tsp of garlic butter inside, then squidge the ball closed
    allow to rise , but they won't rise much,just leave for about an hour
    bake at 170/180 for about 12-15 mins

I've just made a batch of the shortbread from the recipe that was posted with the 5 yo step daughter. She loved it mainly because she got to stick her hands in butter in an attempt to rub it into the flour and sugar. It got everywhere!

However, they are now out the oven and they like them a lot. Although they seem to be a bit more like biscuits than shortbread (if that makes sense!) Might add some raisins to the next batch I think.

Kaz - spending the extra money on baby things sounds like a good idea but at the moment we've not told anyone so my family might think it was a bit suspicious! I went into WHSmith yesterday to look for a book. (I know you can find out most things from the internet but I like to read books sometimes!) I was completely blinded by science as there were so many to choose from! I ended up walking back out looking a bit dazed! So anyone got any recommendations for good books on bumps as I haven't a clue!

Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 79.04/150
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 31st May 08, 12:05 PM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    I would like to join in properly this month and have set my budget at 200. We should have four adults this month and DS3 is working in a kitchen so gets at least one meal per day which should save a massive amount of money. I bought my rice and pasta in bulk last month and also a whole lamb which completely skewed last month's budget.
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 31st May 08, 12:22 PM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Rhubarb
    Someone asked about uses for rhubarb. I haven't read all the posts back to the start of the thread but just in case I will list the things I make with rhubarb.
    Rhubarb chutney, DH and DD love it, great with cheese and ham
    Rhubarb and ginger jam
    Rhubarb cake, crumble, pie. Add a soft fruit to sweeten it naturally eg raspberries.
    Sell it at car boot sales. We sold loads for charity last year.

Tomorrow's task is to pick more and cook down to go in the freezer for the winter.
  • julie-jukes
    Went to Mr A's last night with OH and only spent £55 ish! Normally if OH is with me it is double that amount but I had just bought him a new ipod so he wasn't in his 'Can I have?' mode!

• lil_me
    • By lil_me 31st May 08, 12:27 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    MRSM can you send me one of those tables please looks loads steadier than the daft one we got from Argos.

Just been shopping for packed lunch stuff etc, will add to total in a bit.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSM can you send me one of those tables please looks loads steadier than the daft one we got from Argos.

Just been shopping for packed lunch stuff etc, will add to total in a bit.
    Originally posted by lil_me
    I just said to hubby that if it wasn't for the postage i would get some and sell on e bay just found one similar on a website -but quite a bit smaller and it was 69.99 ours work out at approx 22.50 each
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • Annie021063
    • By Annie021063 31st May 08, 12:31 PM
    • 2,529 Posts
    • 7,979 Thanks
    Annie021063
    Someone asked about uses for rhubarb. I haven't read all the posts back to the start of the thread but just in case I will list the things I make with rhubarb.
    Rhubarb chutney, DH and DD love it, great with cheese and ham
    Rhubarb and ginger jam
    Rhubarb cake, crumble, pie. Add a soft fruit to sweeten it naturally eg raspberries.
    Sell it at car boot sales. We sold loads for charity last year.

Tomorrow's task is to pick more and cook down to go in the freezer for the winter.
    Originally posted by poohbear59
    We have never cooked rhubarb before freezing it - we simply cut into chunks and put into bags then freeze. We are still eating last years and it's great, simply defrost them simmer. Should we be cooking first?
  • savingfortravel
    Congratulations and Thank You!
    Mrs Mc-OB and I are very impressed with your table and benches. Super treat m'dear!!

Anitaj73 - Congrats for paying off debts and great to hear about disability benefit for your son!!! Thanks for your message.

Kaz2904-Always great to hear of successful whoopsie hunts-the trout sounds amazing!! Thanks for your message.

razra-Will write the 5th in my diary and toast you then-bit of naughty mid-week drinking-all for a good cause. Congrats on being debt free except mortgage!!

Have a good day everyone!!

SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: 89.72 Voucher savings 8
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 31st May 08, 12:54 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Quite reserved for me...3-58 in MrS for value ice-cream, value natural yog for Pup [I'll freeze some too cuz he loves ice cream + it will save me throwing it out...he doesn't like other brands ]negotiated down TTD Cornish Clotted to JS Extra thick double cream for a strawberry tea [if I'd been on my own & thought of it, it would've been elmlea whipping ], butter & a Mirror.

The accompanying offspring wanted to BUY scones too, that's how the cream barter was settled we have cheaper today & posh for his B'Day in a couple of weeks in exchange for HM goodies

Oohh Razra, I'd like the Ginger Nuts recipe please & here's the Coconut Bites to compensate.
    • 200g Condensed Milk
    • 100g dessicated coconut
    • 8oz [approx] icing sugar
    • 8ox chocolate of your choice
    1) Mix first two ingredients.
    2) Add enough sugar to make a stiff dough.
    3) Form into shapes & leave on a baking tray to firm up.
    5) Refridgerate--preferrably over-night.
    6) Melt chocolate & coat the mixture..leave to set if possible
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 31st May 08, 1:01 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    cheers BigMummaF, my mum will be very happy with that recipe.
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Tesco-shopper
    Rhubarb
    We have never cooked rhubarb before freezing it - we simply cut into chunks and put into bags then freeze. We are still eating last years and it's great, simply defrost them simmer. Should we be cooking first?
    Originally posted by Annie021063
    I have always done the same as you - have never cooked it first!
  • Le Foot
    Mrs Mcawber, could you share your recipe for chicken and sweetcorn soup. I have a jug of stock osnd chicken bits that I made from a carcass, but if I don't use it soon, I will end up throwing it away.
    Thank you
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 31st May 08, 1:54 PM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Originally posted by Annie021063
    I do it to save on freezer space and to avoid freezer burn. I don't think it is absolutley necessary. I just like it that way.
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 31st May 08, 2:05 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Well just spent another 10-ish on groceries, that included 3.04 for a big bag of local flour to use half and half for bread, some cooking margarine at 88p, some puddings for DS (3 for 3 in Boots, normally 1.49 each)- I do make stuff a lot but these are handy to have in stock, also some organic carrot crisps for him and some juice to drink when we were out and about (forgot his cup, d'oh!). Also got a cherry tom plant at a plant sale, for 1 and two strawb plants and a courgette plant at garden centre too (1.25 each). Going transfer them to window box type things that can be moved around (not sure how well any of these will grow as not done them before). These will keep me with something to look at while the other seeds germinate! My lettuce is all germinating and my cucumber looks like some are too. Nothing on the tom or pepper seeds or my buckets outside yet but early days yet!
    Been a good girl and updated my signature.
  • mandy_moo_1
    Good Morning all. I just though that I would pop in and update my siggy, as I has Mr T deliver last night. I have spent 80.87, this was Mr T and a trip to my local butchers yesterday.
    I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Oh does anyone have a recipe for dough balls (like the ones you get in Pizza Express) I have done a search but can't find anything.:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Jumps
    heres the recipe for the garlic dough balls, making the dough in the BM:

to make 6 dough balls,
    you need

5fl oz water
    1tbsp olive oil
    1tsp salt
    1/2tsp sugar
    1/2tsp italian herbs or oregano
    2 cups strong flour
    1/2tsp dried yeast

make dough in the BM
    when its finished, divide it into 6 equal balls
    mix a bit of crushed garlic with some butter
    poke a finger into each dough ball, and put about 1/2tsp of garlic butter inside, then squidge the ball closed
    allow to rise , but they won't rise much,just leave for about an hour
    bake at 170/180 for about 12-15 mins

can be frozen, and reheated in microwave

• yellowmonkey
    • By yellowmonkey 31st May 08, 2:12 PM
    • 6,931 Posts
    • 29,359 Thanks
    yellowmonkey
    NSD for me today.

That does not happen very often

Take care all

• Annie021063
    • By Annie021063 31st May 08, 2:20 PM
    • 2,529 Posts
    • 7,979 Thanks
    Annie021063
    FFM suggested I ask this question here (previously posted on don't throw food away challenge thread) as you are all so good with recipes.

I have porridge every morning and because hubby had used the last of it for his flapjacks I decided to open a small box of 'McCann's Steel cut Irish Oatmeal' I had in the cupboard. YUK!!! I simply can't eat it as porridge but am reluctant to throw it. Any suggestions? Not sure it would make good flapjacks so other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • superspam
    Hi!

June starts today for me so can you put me down for 250 please Mrs M? Higher than last month because I have decided to included basically any spend that is not a household bill. I'm feeling motivated as I came in under budget last month! My first spend of the month has been 15.48 in Asda so I'll update my sig now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,308Posts Today

7,244Users online

Martin's Twitter