Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 7
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    May is a 5 week month for me, so won't finish until next Monday. Could you please put me down for 200 for June as it is a 4 week month. Thanks Mrs M.
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • mumo5
    Hi all

I'm normally just a reader but I need to cut down on my shopping bills. For 2 adults and 1 child I normally spend around 350 a month. I want to join

June G/C please.Target for June 250.

Good luck to all
  • annelouise
    Angelnikki

What a great spread sheet I will watch out for it here somewhere.

Thanks

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • skintscotslass
    • By skintscotslass 28th May 08, 7:49 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 45,257 Thanks
    skintscotslass
    Evening all

Hi to all the newbies. Its great here

Annelouise - would you mind posting your recipe for courgette fritters please? I think I have a recipe somewhere but no idea where :confused: (my house is up for sale so my extensive collection of recipe books are in the garage)

I think I'll spend tonight working on May's total. As you can see from my sig, I've been very remiss this month and I'm not sure I even had a target. Will see how I got on this month before I set a target for this month
  • Honeyapple
    Can I join you all this month. Have been watching the May thread and thought I would give it a go.

Can you put me down for 300.00 for 2 adults, toddler and a dog.

Looking at all your budgets mine seems massive, but I do really want to try and get it down. Wish me luck.
    February Grocery Challenge 300

Spent so far 55

2 x Adults, one 4 year old and one baby
    • pink princess
    • By pink princess 28th May 08, 8:00 PM
    • 11,866 Posts
    • 34,899 Thanks
    pink princess
    thanx mrs m i ll give them a try tomorrow ,oh likes bovril so might try them with that or philadelphia
    i ll eagerly await the cheese straw recipie.
    and thanx who ever posted the link for shortbread i ll have to try it when i get chance ttfn
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth
  • annelouise
    courgette fritters
    Courgette Fritters

Make up batter with

Flour -either
    Egg
    Water or milk
    Add grated cheese strong is good or parmesan will do,grated courgette and 1/2 onion (dried if very wet )
    Salt n Pepper

Give a good beating....

In a hot frying pan,spritz with oil add 2 - 3 tablespoons of mix,flatten with spatula,once cooked on one side flip and repeat.

Once cooked I layer mine in a ziploc bag with small squares of recycled baking parchment in between and cook from frozen or defrosted under a hot grill.So you can get as many or as few out at a time.

Quick,easy,cheap,don't take up too much room and I daresay you could add grated carrot ,mushrooms or peppers.

I serve mine with sweet chili sauce and salad or as an accompaniment with any meat.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • Madrocks
    • By Madrocks 28th May 08, 8:02 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Madrocks
    Hi all , can i join this month pls. Can you put me down for 250.00 for 2 adults, toddler, dog and cat, month to start 29th when tesco arrives.

Good luck everyone
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 28th May 08, 8:02 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    does any-one have a cheese straw recipie they wouldn t mind posting or bread stick s please sorry for being a pest
    Originally posted by pink princess
    These are like cheese straws if you cut them into straws instead of rounds/stars

Cheesy Biscuits

Makes about 20 Ritz sized biscuits

50g SR flour
    25g butter/marge
    80g grated mature cheddar ( I sometimes use half this amount of cheese and they're still yummy )
    splash of milk

Mix all ingredients together and knead a little until you have a ball
    Roll out to about 2 1/2mm and cut into shapes
    Bake at 200c/Gas6 for about 8-10 minutes until they start to colour.

The original recipe said to add 20g Parmesan and a pinch cayenne pepper too but they’re just as yummy without. You could use an egg yolk instead of the milk to bind.

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 28-07-2008 at 8:01 PM.
    • skintscotslass
    • By skintscotslass 28th May 08, 8:03 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 45,257 Thanks
    skintscotslass
    Thanks annelouise

Another one added to my list
  • MRSMCAWBER
    cheese n marmite twist recipe
    Sorry pink princess..

think im confusing you..the marmite actually goes into the cheese twist/straw recipe im going to dig out for you...
    With the breadsticks hubby has cream cheese, tzatziki etc.... sorry for confuddling you

ok..found it

chees n marmite twists
    1. 1 cup warm water
    2. 1tbs milk powder -or use part milk part water
    3. 2tbs olive oil
    4. 1tsp caster sugar
    5. 1tsp salt
    6. 3 cups bread flour
    7. 1tsp dried yeast
    8. 1tbs marmite mixed with 1tbs warm water
    9. 125g mature cheddar -grated
    10. 1 egg beaten
    • put items 1-7 in the BM and set to dough -i make it by hand using 10g fresh yeast
    • when dough is ready turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 mins
    • roll out to approx 20"x25"
    • spread the marmite over half the dough
    • sprinkle over cheese
    • brush remaining dough with egg and fold over
    • use the rolling pin to press down the edges to seal
    • cut into strips and divide between 2 large greased baking sheets -twisting as you lay them down
    • cove and leave to rise for about 45mins or until doubled in size
    • place in a pre-heated oven -200c/400f/gas 6
    • bake for 15-20mins or until golden -cool
    I think spreading with tomato ketchup would be great for kids
    Last edited by MRSMCAWBER; 28-05-2008 at 8:12 PM. Reason: found recipe
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • tq16
    Determined this month going to be better-will not give up! thanks for all inspiration and engouragement :-)
    (Family of 5: 2 adults & 3 children aged 7yrs, 4yrs, and 18months)
    • Ess-six
    • By Ess-six 28th May 08, 8:15 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 1,437 Thanks
    Ess-six
    To all the newbies joining us in June welcome, youll love this thread since January Ive morphed into a menu planning, cooking, veg planting, coupon using moneysaver and its all thanks to the lovely, helpful people on this thread.

Seriously there is some great advice on this thread, and I would advise you to check in on a regular basis as it grows very quickly!
    • skintscotslass
    • By skintscotslass 28th May 08, 8:20 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 45,257 Thanks
    skintscotslass
    MrsM - please put me down for 100 this month

• annelouise
    Real life money saving tips for al
    Hi fellow frugalites ,

I came onto this site by accident and found a host of great MSE tips like - stand on loo rolls,snip open tubes of cream,use microfibre cloths instead of disposible !!!!!!!!!

But can I find where they all are now? can I heck - help,help - I love all these cheapy tips and have even bought said cloths and a babies muslin to remove my makeup - I'm sure there are loads more I can implement if only I could get my sticky mitts on them so any help will be very gratefully received.

I also email all my UK mates to spread the MSE word - I call it recycling.

annelouise
  • lainz
    woah - steady on folks I can't keep up with you all - lost the end of May as I was away and just caught up with you now. Will update sig in a mo, but MrsMc can you put me down for 70 this month - thanks for the spinach bread recipe - I've loads in the garden I need to use in things and also freeze some - will have to do lasagne at the weekend.

Good luck folks ... better go and get back on the wagon on the weightloss thread
  • Judellie
    Hi All,
    Please could anyone tell me how much you water down whole milk to make it like semi-skimmed. I picked up 2 x 6pinters of organic whole milk in mrS tonight for about £1.60 each and have put them in pour and save bags in 3/4litre portions in the freezer. My OH thinks I'm nuts , he's probably right!! but there should be much more money in the bank at the end of the month!

Judexx
    • Hollysan
    • By Hollysan 28th May 08, 8:56 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    Hollysan
    Hello everyone,

I have had a couple of months away but want to join in again with the June challenge please.

Actually I haven't been doing too badly, just haven't been posting. OH is away a lot and I find it hard to get to the computer! But will try again this month as I need to keep a close eye on things as we have an expensive month coming up. Last month I spent around 358, which includes a wholefood wholesale order, which I won't do this month, so please Mrs M count me in with a budget for June of 300, thank you.

The veg garden is coming along nicely, so hopefully I can make use of that during June. I have just popped out in my slippers in the half dark to have a look at my spinach. I cut some at the weekend, but with all the rain it has doubled in size, so maybe I will have a go at the spinach bread recipe but with sundried toms instead of bacon because we don't eat it.

Good luck to everyone, especially all you newbies.

Hollysan
    MFiT-T4 #63
    Mortgage 78,000/67,690.73
  • TheBees
    WP Smyth - We loved your post about giving your kids an allowance for lunches etc.

A few months ago we set up standing orders for pocket money but even better how about your older kids getting jobs!? Our son aged 14 earns good money in a restaurant a few hours on a weekend. His actual wages go into the bank and he puts his tips in a saving tin and uses them to fund his karting hobby.

Welcome to all the newbies.

Tomorrow we will be working out a meal plan and shopping list for the weekend.

Good luck everyone!
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
  • miecherox
    can i come back please?!
    hello mrsm, i am back from my three month moneysaving sebbatical and we are skint!! started my new job and allowed mr miecherox to do some shopping and cooking - Not Good! (money wise I mean )

Please can you put me down for 100 for June!!

Some store cupboard shopping and imagination will be required i think!!

Thankyou x x x
    #118 DFW Debt freely Christmas 2012 Challenge
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,455Posts Today

6,854Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin