Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 6
    • suzialwaysbroke
    • By suzialwaysbroke 28th May 08, 4:52 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    suzialwaysbroke
    Right, not been on for a while, but back in a new mood of determination (wonder how long this will last!!)
    So - here for June - 320 for 3 adults with another coming back from Uni end of month, we have to cut down as money is getting tighter all the time, along with everyone else, I guess.
    I have also got to lose weight - big tuts from dr. this week (hangs head in shame), so, its shape up or ship out for Suzi this month!!
    A miserably failed DFW
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 28th May 08, 5:05 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Can anyone post any simple easy recipes i can cook/ like cakes n biscuits???

I have most things in.
    Originally posted by mumzyof2
    I made these earlier and they are yummy! Plus with only 3 ingredients you cant go far wrong, i got 12 biscuits out of the mix, HTH

Here is the complete cooking collection with a whole section for cakes and biscuits
    Last edited by gunsandbanjos; 28-05-2008 at 5:12 PM.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • nessquic80
    come on......where's the recipe??

that sounds lish, i've not tried that 1 before, so pleeese will you post the recipe when you get chance? Fanx xx
    Originally posted by mandy_moo_1
    for 6 large portions you need 2 chicken breast 2 onions 4 medium carrots (grated) copped brocilli mushrooms and a jar of bolense, pasta sheets and white sauce and lots of cheese. the veg you can put anything in whatever needs using, to bulk it out i use oates and add extra water and tomato puree to it all. build up in stages chicken mix, sheets white sauce, chicken mix sheets white sauce thn cheese cook for 40 mins. this isnt a recipe as such i just chuck everything in and it tastes great!! hubby doesnt even know i put oates in...what he doesnt know wont hurt him
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!

• mumzyof2
    I made these earlier and they are yummy! Plus with only 3 ingredients you cant go far wrong, i got 12 biscuits out of the mix, HTH

Here is the complete cooking collection with a whole section for cakes and biscuits
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos
    Thankyou i will make them tomorrow Just got the chelsea buns in at mo going to do hobnobs later if i am not too tired
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far 27.67, Live off 4k Spent 330.20 GC 1,200 for 2009 Spent 50.78 PaD so far 650.07
    Debts: L/woods 154.00 C/One PAID O/D 649.90 Next 299.95 O/D PAID Gas 72.60 Electric 155.73 Mum 640.00 Orange 490.32
  • JennyBee
    Shiny new challenge! Am impressed that I've managed 2 months so far - normally I would have got bored of it by now, but I love food and we need to save money so I'm loving it!

NSD again today mainly because it was raining too hard to venture out of the office. Stopped in at the gym on the way home to cancel our membership. Must dust off bikes this weekend!

Congratulations Merfe - I'm in the same boat as you. The thought of the stir fry that's on the menu plan tonight is making me feel rotten even though I know it's going to be yummy! Unfortunately, I can't spend the next 7 months living on decaf tea, crisps and digestive biscuits which appear to be the only things that don't make me feel odd! If for no other reason, I would balloon to about 50 stone!

Anyway, off to prepare the stir fry and noodles and will probably also chuck some banana flapjack thingies in the oven which I've been putting off. The smell of overipe bananas is getting too much for my stomach to bear and I refuse to throw them out!!!

Ooh! VERY overexcited - tomorrow the last payment of my graduate loan comes out which will mean I have an extra 130 a month! (Which will go to paying off something else I'm sure!!!) But still very exciting
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 79.04/150
    • galacticgreen
    • By galacticgreen 28th May 08, 6:33 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    galacticgreen
    Haven;t quite finished adding up May yet, and will declare over there when I do. Mrs M please put us down for 200 again for June please. We've stuck at that since January, and every month we have made it by a few pence. I think I really should tighten it a bit but maybe not this month. Not sure why we don't to be reaping the rewards of our massive reduction in our grocery bill, but I'm sure we will in the end. My OH is self employed so cash flow can be interesting at times and I spend a lot of time juggling money between accounts. I try to remember how much harder it would be if we weren't doing thr grocery challange. The best bit is I don't think we are compromising on what we are eating.
    • cookinmummy
    • By cookinmummy 28th May 08, 6:37 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 73,730 Thanks
    cookinmummy
    Oh my gosh - everytime I log in you guys are sharing more yummy recipes - and I thought combining the GC challenge and weight loss challenge would be easy!

Question - does anyone use mysupermarket? - and is it good? Do you still get your clubcard points?
  • JennyBee

Question - does anyone use mysupermarket? - and is it good? Do you still get your clubcard points?
    Originally posted by cookinmummy
    I use mysupermarket but I don't do my shopping online. Instead I use it to check prices and deals and then print out the shopping list with all the prices on when I'm done. Don't know about clubcard points, sorry!
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 79.04/150
  • SuziQ
    Can I join for June? I am guessing I normally spend around 200 (on what I have no idea) but am aiming for 180 for June with me,3 kids and 2 cats. That gives me 45 per week-then at least if I keep all my receipts and I m over I will know what I am aiming for in July! I just think if I don't actually joun for June I may get lazy-and boy,do I need to economise at the moment!
  • kittynortheast
    Oooh can I join again please, did well last month so here's hoping!! Put me down for another 350 if you please! GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY.
    LBM 17th April 2007
    Credit Cards paid - July 2008 Sainsys,M&S, HSBC
    Grocery Challenge 350
    DEBT FREE AND STILL TRYING HARD
    • sandy2
    • By sandy2 28th May 08, 6:42 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    sandy2
    will probably also chuck some banana flapjack thingies in the oven which I've been putting off. The smell of overipe bananas is getting too much for my stomach to bear and I refuse to throw them out!!!
    Originally posted by JennyBee
    Put the bananas in the freezer, but peel them first, then they'll be ready next time you want them
    • pink princess
    • By pink princess 28th May 08, 6:45 PM
    • 11,866 Posts
    • 34,899 Thanks
    pink princess
    yes the new months here at last,
    to all the newbies and good luck with your first challenge
    well i ve done my first big shop of the month ,it includes most things i need for the month(hopefully) and i also got whoopsied mascapone 10pence so i ve just made a vanilla and also a lemon cheese cake ,
    while i was in the kitchen i gave mrs mc s cheese buscuits a go and they are lovely i definatly recommend them and thanx for the recipie my other half loves things like this and spends a fortune on packaged ones,
    any other recipies like this would be great ,
    does any-one have a cheese straw recipie they wouldn t mind posting or bread stick s please sorry for being a pest

oh and an update the mr t toilet rolls haven t been noticed so i ll save myself a fortune there
    good luck for this month
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 28th May 08, 6:46 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos

Originally posted by cookinmummy
    mysupermarket is one of the best inventions ever!! And yes you still get clubcard points because once you go to checkout you are re-directed to the actual Tesco site so from then on is it is business as usual
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • cookinmummy
    • By cookinmummy 28th May 08, 6:50 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 73,730 Thanks
    cookinmummy
    I use mysupermarket but I don't do my shopping online. Instead I use it to check prices and deals and then print out the shopping list with all the prices on when I'm done. Don't know about clubcard points, sorry!
    Originally posted by JennyBee

Ahh very clever JennyBee - I'll give it a go - didn't realise you could print off your list!
    • tylersbabe
    • By tylersbabe 28th May 08, 7:12 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    tylersbabe
    Hi All

Well can't seem to find myself on list so am posting my budget for June again

Please could you put me down for 60

Hope this is Ok Ta very much
    Mortgage Owed: Sept 14 - 107398.20
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 28th May 08, 7:18 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    I'm in, back up to £260 please and remind me never to go for such a silly low target ever again!! My budget is for 2 adults, 2 boys (who may aswell be classed as adults as they eat as much) 2 large dogs, 1 lizard and a hedgie. All meals inc packed lunches.
    Last edited by lil_me; 28-05-2008 at 7:21 PM.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Pink Princess - here you go

The bread sticks are :-
    • 150ml warm water
    • 1/2tsp dried yeast - i use 7g of fresh
    • pinch of sugar
    • 225g plain flour
    • 1tsp salt
    • 2 tsp caraway seeds
    Just dissolve the yeast n sugar in the water and throw into the dry ingredients ...nice n simple ... knead for a couple of mins -then divide the dough into 20.. usually about 20g each...
    roll into long sausages -about 12" and place on a greased baking sheet -i use a non stick liner .. and wang in the oven at 220c/425f/gas7 for 10-12 mins
    When you are rolling them out you do need some flour but try not to use to much as they just slide about
    when they are first made they are slightly chewy but When mine are cooled i keep the wrapped up in a clean tea towel so they stay crispy..a bit like grissinis ...only nicer...I have altered what seeds i use before...
    I have done them with poppy seeds too, without the caraway seeds and with 10g parmesan and 1 tsp of mustard seeds - they are rather nice.. and with poppy seeds
    Hubby munches them all week -much better than the salted peanuts he used to demolish and lovely with tzatziki and dips mmmmmmm

I will dig you out a recipe i have that are like cheese straws too..but hubby likes them made spread with a bit of marmite..but i bet ketchup or chutney with the cheese would be nice too

Well i have got to the end of 5th NSD in a row but tomorrow i will HAVE to do some shopping...poop :rolleyes: .. have had a field day using up odds n sods.. still have a 650g salami/chorizo to attack mind can feel some lemon potatoes, salami in spicy tomato sauce fresh bread with oil and balsamic to dip it in, a bowl of salad leaves from the garden and other tapas type bits.... hope its warm at the weekend then we can eat it sat outside
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 28th May 08, 7:30 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    evening,

just made a danish apple cake (supposed to have prunes but i used currants) from the two fat ladies gastronomic adventures book

i was going to type it but found someone already had on this site...

http://www.bigoven.com/77621-Danish-Apple-and-Prune-Cake-recipe.html

tastes lovely, all i changed was using currants and mixed peel (MrT vaue) instead of the prunes and slightly less sugar over the top
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• egon
    • By egon 28th May 08, 7:32 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 5,654 Thanks
    egon
    I am in with 250 pounds.
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 28th May 08, 7:34 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Got a bit of a list so...deep breath...aaannnnnd.....GO!

1. Posted this on the May thread but thought it may be of use here too.
    I saw these on the tv over the week-end--thought they may be of use to peeps with small..or no..gardens.
    http://www.bestdirect.tv/src/BDHOME/...1-BDA08376.htm
    2. Welcome Newbies & Good Luck! It'll all seem very strange for a while, but then becomes second nature And don't be afraid to ask questions---I still do, cuz our tastes are changing from what we've always had.

3. Those who are trying to shed lbs alongside saving , have you checked out the Weight Loss Old Style thread? Quite a few of us are over there too, so call in & say Hi

4. Also check out the Celebrations & Special Occasions thread for ideas on gifts. Folk have made up some truly amazing hamper-type gifts for things like engagements, baby, etc.

5. I use washed out jam jars for my budgetting mainly cuz I used to pick up the wrong purse when I used those

Oooohhh....s'pose they are my Five Top Tips!!

Angelnikki Social Services used to fund some child care, if there was a genuine need... it's been a while since I worked in a pre-school, but it might be worth investigating.

Yesterday I got the grow bag & Iceberg lettuce seeds, plus a strawberry plant in a pot so my veggie patch looks like it's on Amber Alert I also got a new spray bottle so I can start making up my own anti-persp/deo out of witch hazel & water again

Put some baby spinach in yesterday's beef lasagne, along with some of the usual 'extras' then used the last of the mince today for burgers. I was particularly sneaky today tho, & used dried soya mince+couscous soaked in boiled water to 'encourage' the mince further Splash of Lea & Perrins & good shake mixed herbs served with MrT value rolls [29p for 12], baked beans & HM cheesy chips

Also found an ood strawberry jelly in the cupboard, so made that up with half dozen fresh strawbs & some black grapes in the bottom for pud. Plus there's an individual one for an offspring's lunch box tomorrow, made in a plastic cup!

OK...I'm going.....see you tomorrow m'be , but I'm hoping for nowt more than a newspaper & the local rag spend-wise.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

535Posts Today

5,613Users online

Martin's Twitter