Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • whoosh
    • By whoosh 27th May 08, 11:55 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    whoosh
    • 27th May 08, 11:55 PM
    • 27th May 08, 11:55 PM
    No I wouldn't report him. What would that achieve? A court case, a fine, more stress for his wife, the end of his job quite possibly, and a criminal record. I wouldn't condone what he did, and neither would I trivialise theft from a large company; but if as his friend I wanted to drive the point home, I would encourage him to take a good look at himself. If this is truly out of character then he clearly needs some sort of help, of the type that shopping him to the law would never provide. And in this case I doubt the punishment would fit the crime. What sort of friend would really do that for a relatively minor offence?
    • *Louise*
    • By *Louise* 28th May 08, 12:54 AM
    • 9,046 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    *Louise*
    • 28th May 08, 12:54 AM
    • 28th May 08, 12:54 AM
    I wouldn't pat him on the back...but I wouldn't report him.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
    • Pound
    • By Pound 28th May 08, 1:29 AM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    Pound
    • 28th May 08, 1:29 AM
    • 28th May 08, 1:29 AM
    Whilst two wrongs don't make a right, the petrol retailers are greedy and sneakily raise the price EVERY DAY
    Originally posted by wurlitzerwilly
    End of the line petrol retailers only make a few pence per litre sold. A drive off can have a big impact on their profits.

• Shytalker
    • 28th May 08, 7:54 AM
    • 28th May 08, 7:54 AM
    As he's a mate, I wouldn't report him but that would be the only reason not to. I would make my dislike of it very plain.

If he hadn't been a mate I probably would do. There is far too much dishonesty about, as exemplified by politician expenses fiddles, and it is time for the great British public to be more public-spirited. I don't like dishonesty and that is why I will never be rich.
  • babyharry5
    • 28th May 08, 8:03 AM
    • 28th May 08, 8:03 AM
    like other money savers I dont condone what he did but I certainly wouldnt report him either - with everything that is going on in the world - especially all these kids killing each other with knives this matter pales in comparison.
    I would resolve to perhaps try & help them in other ways by getting practical advice & possible solutions.
    Reporting him wouildnt help anyone IMO
  • dannynixon
    • 28th May 08, 8:15 AM
    • 28th May 08, 8:15 AM
    I would not report him, what would it achieve? He is already up against it and if I ever did this (which I dont think I would have the bottle to do) I would expect him to keep quiet because he is a friend
    • whitecat
    • By whitecat 28th May 08, 8:28 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    whitecat
    • 28th May 08, 8:28 AM
    Petrol
    • 28th May 08, 8:28 AM
    No way would I report him in fact I would thoroughly encourage it and congratulate him on having the balls to do it in the first place. How much profit did BP make this year from its customers (this year 3.5 Billion). Its an absolute joke. We are being charged absolutely outrageous amounts for a natural product and they are harvesting the profits. I think we should all help ourselves
    • macaroni
    • By macaroni 28th May 08, 8:37 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    macaroni
    • 28th May 08, 8:37 AM
    • 28th May 08, 8:37 AM
    I wouldnt report him, purely because I would hope that the petrol retailer would have his numberplate on camera and would get the police onto him themselves !

Anyone stupid enough to do this in their own car, registered to them, deserves to be caught !!
  • willow81
    No, I wouldn't report him. I would steer him in the direction of this site and give him all the best advice I could. I'm pretty sure the police have more important things to deal with anyway......
    (waiting for the flak .... )
  • going2die_rich
    No way would I report him in fact I would thoroughly encourage it and congratulate him on having the balls to do it in the first place. How much profit did BP make this year from its customers (this year 3.5 Billion). Its an absolute joke. We are being charged absolutely outrageous amounts for a natural product and they are harvesting the profits. I think we should all help ourselves
    Originally posted by whitecat

You do realise only 10-15% of that profit tends to be from the UK dont you?

China has around a $20 billion dollar surplus each month, does that mean it's okay to be stealing plasma tv's?

Sorry to say, but it might be a "natural product", but it's not our product, it's owned by other countries so you need to pay them for it. We live in a capitalist society, so you just have to learn to live with prices increasing. The UK can't have it both ways, it was okay for capatalism when the UK was manufacturing products and making huge profits, but now it's other nations we don't like it anymore. We just best hope we don't lose our financial businesses to Dubai as then we really would be left with nothing.
  • suzithefloozy
    I wouldn't report him because he is a mate, but I probably wouldn't need to anyway as I'd imagine they had it on camera and would have already notified the police.

I don't agree with the fuel prices being as high as they are, but I'd imagine the stations themselves e.g. shell and texaco aren't the ones making the most profit out of fuel, but they would be most hurt by people stealing it as they still have to pay their supplier for it. All this is said with the exception of BP of course, who charge at least 2p/litre more than everyone else for the same fuel - maybe now there's a slight idea as to where their reported 3.5 bn profit came from! Needless to say I don't get fuel from BP
    Trust me - I'm a scientist!!!

Mortgage - too big to comprehend!

CC debt - none!
  • bobass
    I would not wish to be friends with some folk on here!

Of course I would not report him - he is a friend.

Friends are people who you should support, not kick while they are down.

I'm not condoning stealing, and would advise him against doing the same again - but at the same time, it's not like he has physically or mentally damaged another human, or put any lives at risk.
  • redwoodmazza
    No I wouldn't report him.
    As said previously, it's very likely that the filling station captured his vehicle registration details. He would then be contacted and given video evidence etc, I suspect. However, if he was ALSO driving without tax and insuance, I could NOT condone that as the risk to someone else suffering finacial loss in the case of an accident is totally unjust.
  • redwoodmazza
    Just a quick thought, I have been sent an email doing the rounds suggesting that everyone should boycott Esso and BP filling stations in an effort to force them to lower prices. What do you reckon?
    I already purchase from Tesco to get Clubcard points.
    So, what about a boycott of Esso and BP?
    Last edited by redwoodmazza; 28-05-2008 at 10:51 AM.
    • Pound
    • By Pound 28th May 08, 10:50 AM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    Pound
    I would probably encourage him to call the petrol station and let them know he forgot to pay. That way he's done the right thing and also avoids any possible knocks on the door from the police.

I used to work in a petrol station and management tried very hard to make employees scapegoats for the fuel thefts. e.g. they'd try to suggest that we shouldn't have switched the pump on for that person.

• SomethingWitty
    • By SomethingWitty 28th May 08, 10:52 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    SomethingWitty
    As others have said, reporting him would achieve little, if anything i would hope he didnt get caught by CCTV. In the question you frame this as an act of desperation, i.e. he felt this was the only way he could get by. Reporting him, giving him a stern telling off, being angry/off/morally righteous achieves nothing- you cannot see every crime in a right/wrong binary -some, like this, are acts of desperation. He shouldnt do it of course, but the way to make him not do it again is to explain to him the risks involved and point him, as others said, to sites like this which have given many people hope and options when money has seemed tight and options limited. There is no way stealing is acceptable, the act itself may well be wrong, but the reasons behind it are a little more complex in this case- showing someone why they don't need to do this, helping them out with advice from places like this, and just giving them an air of support so they don't feel trapped in financial ruin prevents things like this from happening

EDIT: The above idea of calling the petrol station is a great one too, hopefully theyd be understanding enough to "let him off" if he coughed up though
    Last edited by SomethingWitty; 28-05-2008 at 10:56 AM.
    • Glowboy
    • By Glowboy 28th May 08, 11:40 AM
    • 173 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Glowboy
    Just a quick thought, I have been sent an email doing the rounds suggesting that everyone should boycott Esso and BP filling stations in an effort to force them to lower prices. What do you reckon?
    I already purchase from Tesco to get Clubcard points.
    So, what about a boycott of Esso and BP?
    Originally posted by redwoodmazza
    This has been suggested before and wouldn't work. There's a link to a thread on this subject in my thanked posts, if you're interested.
  • Lenfo
    I would probably encourage him to call the petrol station and let them know he forgot to pay. That way he's done the right thing and also avoids any possible knocks on the door from the police.
    Originally posted by Pound
    I can't believe that would work. Would they really believe he "forgot to pay" (yeah right) and say "oh well never mind pay us next time you're passing"? I imagine they'd take his phone number/get the police to trace the call and prosecute him as hard as they can. Its not like he accidentally wandered out with a 40p newspaper under his arm.

That said, I wouldn't dob him in, but I'd tell him that if I found he'd done it a second time and it became a habit I couldn't turn a blind eye.
    • tazical
    • By tazical 28th May 08, 11:56 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    tazical
    I'd definitely report him to the police. I own a business myself, and work ridiculously hard to keep it going. Why on earth should this guy decide that he can take someone else's property just because he's hard up? Should I just let people walk into my shop and shoplift anything they like just because they don't have the money? I'm sick and tired of working so hard just for people to take advantage of me (and that includes you too, Gordon Brown...)

Quite frankly, if this guy thinks that stealing is an okay thing to do then I wouldn't want him as a friend anyway!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,722Posts Today

10,009Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin