Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 30th Apr 08, 2:39 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 30th Apr 08, 2:39 AM
    May 2008 Grocery Challenge 30th Apr 08 at 2:39 AM
    Hello everyone,

I'm really sorry it's late, but welcome to the fifth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If you're still working on your April budget, then keep on posting in the April Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    I hope you all have a good month.

Pink
Page 38
  • jackk
    It's a NSD today . sig is updated, because i went to Asda last night on the way home from my Science class, picked up more bread flour, milk, bananas and desicated coconut.

Ive had my car in the garage today to get a service and MOT, hopefully it will be finished tomorrow, my bill is gonna be 600 , i'd managed to save 300 thinking that would be ok.........made a frantic call to Mum and got a 300 loan....I love my Mum .

Jackie x
  • mumzyof2
    Evening all, I have just checked my freezer and i have enough meals for the next 7 days, But i am away from friday morning till sunday night. so should last me till the sunday 18th.. as i have tomorrows dinner in the fridge defrosting I should only need some veg and milk throughout the week and some beans
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far 27.67, Live off 4k Spent 330.20 GC 1,200 for 2009 Spent 50.78 PaD so far 650.07
    Debts: L/woods 154.00 C/One PAID O/D 649.90 Next 299.95 O/D PAID Gas 72.60 Electric 155.73 Mum 640.00 Orange 490.32
    • galadriel
    • By galadriel 7th May 08, 8:37 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    galadriel
    Gosh 260 a week I thought that was her monthly shop until he said the yearly figure. She spends more on shopping per month than my wages. With the money she saves from going down a brand her family could have a lovely holiday each year. Still I don't think I can downshift any more - most of the stuff I buy is Smartprice, the only luxury is Heinz tomato ketchup

No spending for me today, I have made a veggie lasagne, had some for tea and loads left for lunch tomorrow and to freeze, and have some herb bread cooking in the oven, it smells lovely.

• superspam
    Thanks for the quiche advice Mandymoo! Glad Ruby is making the most of it! When my Jake was a puppy (he's a yorkshire terrier), he fell off a five foot high wall onto a concrete patio. Poor little mite, I thought he was dead and vet said if he'd had a full bladder he probably would have burst it and then he would have been dead! He was very lucky to escape with a broken paw and he had it done up like a drumstick for a few weeks. He's 8 years old now and still holds his paw up or pretends he can't jump up on the sofa when he wants attention!

My other Yorkie Pip is the tiniest yorkie I'e ever seen at 1.2 kg in weight - he got shut in the car door and didn't break a single bone! It's amazing how resiliant they are (it sounds like I don't look after my dogs at all doesn't it!?) Pip lapped up all the attention at the vets where they gave him the biggest cage and a heated blanket to help recover from he shock! Went I went to pick him up one of the veterinary nurses had been carrying him around in her arms for an hour because she thought he looked sad! (they're not daft are they?)

Sorry everyone - that was totally off topic, I'll shut up now!
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 7th May 08, 8:52 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    i thought jenid's food looked lovely!

260!! and i remember when my mum and dad could have spent that much a week, however in their defence there were 6 adults in the house plus guests most weekends.
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 7th May 08, 8:56 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Now I didn't see the programme so I feel left out! Boohoohoo. I'm going to try to find it on the internet to watch later tonight?

Just found a link to the shows for those who haven't watched them for whatever reason:
    http://www.itpaystowatch.co.uk/shows/
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 07-05-2008 at 9:25 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • taplady
    • By taplady 7th May 08, 8:57 PM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    evening all!

i watched martins show too and was shocked at how much she spent on groceries any of us could have made her huge savings what i want to know is where do you go if you are already on the value lines?:confused:
    Every penny saved is a penny saved
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 7th May 08, 8:59 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    Hi Turbo5019 could you pass the recipe for the orange and choc muffins they sound yummy. Many thanks
    Originally posted by dink1

Here you go
    Chocolate orange muffins

125g SR flour
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    125g soft margarine
    125g caster sugar
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    grated zest of 1 small orange ( I used the juice as well)
    60g plain chocolate chips ( I used value milk choc chopped)

makes 12 muffins
    180oC
    1. sift the flour & cocoa
    2. cream margarine & caster sugar
    3. Add the eggs & mix
    4. add the flour & cocoa until blended
    5. stir in orange zest and chocolate chips ( I added the orange juice)
    6. line muffin tray with paper cases & fill to about 2/3 full
    7. cook in a preheated oven for 10-12 min

I got the original recipe from Annabel Karmel book
    GC 7.79/225 per month ~ wk1 7.79/ 50
  • dink1
    Thanks for the recipe Turbo5019 will get straight on it! You guys are an inspiration.
    JanGC 250/82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/86/cm40/9.50
  • wornoutmumoftwo
    I almost had a nsd until I discovered that I'd run out of cat food, and then while in Mr T's I couldn't resist the cheapie section and got a seasonal veg pack for just 19p, I was planing on making a soup in the slow cooker overnight and the veg pack actually has decent sized veg in it for once.

Going to do a small shop tomorrow to stock up on a few basics, have spent about 85 so far but have a full freezer and cupboards.

Not taking the children shopping with me is saving me a fortune.

Made a batch of the hobnobs and love them (don't like the real ones though).
    Payment a day challenge: 236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: 202.09/250
    Frugal Living Challenge: 534.64/15000
  • gillybean73
    I have updated my siggy as I have spent in Aldi and Sanisbury's, tesco express and morrisons. I need to get better at judging how much milk we will need. I seem to be popping out for milk almost everyday. I also had to pop out for bread flour and rice and crisps, so I totally underestimated how much we use of lots of things. Still this is my learning month.

Gilly
    MFW - aiming to pay off mortgage in considerably less than 22years 6months.
    borrowed 60,779.23 interest only/74,573.36 repayment

• chocolateteddy
    • By chocolateteddy 7th May 08, 10:25 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 3,197 Thanks
    chocolateteddy
    Here you go
    Chocolate orange muffins

60g plain chocolate chips ( I used value milk choc chopped)
    Originally posted by turbo5019

I originally cooked these (annabel Karmel) and gave turbo5019 the recipe!! and as I had no choc chips in I added grated chocolate(cooking sort that I needed to use up!) and my girls loved it, they are not keen on choc chips. I cooked a batch of 12 today and only have 3 left!!!!!!!
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

Slimming World Target - Lose 60 lbs
    Journey started 14th Nov 2016
    Weight loss to date 27 lbs
  • saver8484
    Add me about 280 in supermarket shopping more including takeaways. Maybe 100 more.

3 people eating at home most days.

Want to get it down.

Any tips? Have seen the Jamie Oliver adverts and the indian food on Martins show tonight and have been inspired.
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 7th May 08, 10:37 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    I have updated my siggy as I have spent in Aldi and Sanisbury's, tesco express and morrisons. I need to get better at judging how much milk we will need. I seem to be popping out for milk almost everyday. I also had to pop out for bread flour and rice and crisps, so I totally underestimated how much we use of lots of things. Still this is my learning month.

Gilly
    Originally posted by gillybean73
    I always keep some dried milk and some longlife for just this sort of dilemma. Its the "popping out for a bottle of milk" that has been my downfall in the past. If you really cannot tolerate the above-freeze a bottle or two for such occasions. I always remove a little before I freeze it so that the bottle doesnt burst as when frozen it expands.
  • chardonnay
    Well I decided I would get one whole portion(1) and 2 half portions(60p each)
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    just a suggestion but why didn't you just buy 2 whole portions at 2 quid and then half the second portion when you came home? it would have saved you 20p
    married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09
  • chardonnay

STOVIES
    2lb potatoes
    1 lb onions
    1lb of sausages (can also use leftover meat or a tin of corned beef)
    mixed herbs
    2 stock cubes
    salt/pepper

peel and slice pots and put a layer in a baking dish followed by a layer of sliced onions followed by a layer of diced bangers and season with herbs/salt and pepper.
    keep making layers until you run out of ingredients but make the final layer potatoes, then give a final sprinkling of herbs and to finish pour over a pint of stock made with the 2 stock cubes (i used beef cubes but i dont suppose it would matter if you used chicken or veg)
    dot the top with butter if you fancy then stick in a medium oven for 40/45 mins or till everything looks like it has cooked and serve with veg or beans etc...
    Originally posted by angchris
    hi, i really like stovies - we nickname it baby food as it tends to go quite mushy with lumps of totties. you can also make stovies in a pot on the stove ( hence it's name). it's a great way to use up leftovers and is a really popular east of scotland dish.

we normally cook the sausage and fry the onions a bit then put in pan of boiled totties ( most of the liquid is boiled off and totties are half cubes and half mush) then continue to cook. more commanly, people just put all the raw ingredients in the one pan & cook. we have also used mince and it was yum!
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 8th May 08, 12:54 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    just a suggestion but why didn't you just buy 2 whole portions at 2 quid and then half the second portion when you came home? it would have saved you 20p
    Originally posted by chardonnay
    Ah I wondered when someone would ask! The half portions are rather generous-and better value. They are more like 3/4 portions!
    Sometimes you can barely tell them from full portions.
  • chardonnay
    hi, i thought this would be the case
  • scotsaver
    Morning everyone - looks like it's going to be another hot day today.

Thanks pennypinchingmum - made the Herb Bread recipe last night into muffins and we love them. The kids have got them in their lunchboxes, put some in the freezer and got a few left so thanks for that.

Watched Martin's programme last night, can't believe how much that Lady was spending on her weekly shopping, we don't even spend that in a month and there are 2 Adults and DD1 is 12 and DD2 is nearly 10 so eating as much as we are some days. Sitting here watching GMTV and they have just said that the average Family throws away £50 a Month in food Thankfully not in this house.

Shall be popping out to Asda later as need Salad for Dinner tonight to go with HM Burgers and HM chips (with skins left on). Must go to Sainsbury's also as Fruit Shoots BOGOF and I use those in the kids Lunchboxes, use a new one on a Monday and then top it up each day with Squash, very MSE and found that they never leak like other bottles seem to. This saves me loads and they are an ideal size to fit in their Lunchbox.

Have a good day everyone.
    Last edited by scotsaver; 08-05-2008 at 6:06 AM.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• superspam
    Morning! Another lovely sunny day

I forgot to add last night, my veggie box arrived which means another 10 needs to go on my total - I'll go and do that now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,629Posts Today

8,044Users online

Martin's Twitter