Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 30th Apr 08, 2:39 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 30th Apr 08, 2:39 AM
    May 2008 Grocery Challenge 30th Apr 08 at 2:39 AM
    Hello everyone,

I'm really sorry it's late, but welcome to the fifth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If you're still working on your April budget, then keep on posting in the April Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    I hope you all have a good month.

Pink
Page 35
  • clair2305
    Hi everyone

I have the same problem, my son will not drink plain tap water, he is not allowed to take coloured juices. I did suggest the non see through bottle, but apparently at High School these are not allowed either. Who makes all these rules?, they obviously don't have a budget to watch!

I have managed to spend nothing so far since my big shop on Thurs, however, I was a little upset at tea tonight. I have been baking frequently for the last few weeks, tonight I opened a tin of raspberry muffins I had made on Thurs, to find the 6 left had gone mouldy! I have kept cakes alright for up to a week before. I keep them in an tin, lined with kitchen roll, any ideas why they don't keep?

Thanks
    Originally posted by SAV3R
    SAV3R, what about buying a water filter, or, as the Richard Hammond programme I watched recently on one of the digital channels suggested, just put the tap water in the fridge for 2 hours, it takes away the sometimes, tin like taste.

I've not got a water filter, but I've got a water filter kettle, which I love, makes my tea taste like Sri Lankan (proper) tea and reminds me of my wedding there in December......aaahhh to be there again
  • clair2305
    morning all

well. i should hopefully have an NSD today , but i've got to take Ruby, my littlest yorkie to the PDSA today. She's hurt one of her paws, and is only walking on 3 legs. i always give them a donation, as i don't have to pay for treatment there, but i save 5p's for emergencies like this.....and no, i don't hand over a hot little hand of 5p's!! i get it changed before i go!

was hoping to have a baking day today, but will have to see how things go

hope everyone has a great day.......looks like its gonna be a warm one again
    Originally posted by mandy_moo_1
    Hope Ruby is ok mandymoo1, keep us posted
  • clair2305
    me again.....
    ....planning on having a big bake tonight, making the use of my double oven, of course inbetween watching IP2W, cos last nite I just sat on my backside, after starting my toms and mushrooms off.

Just want to know do any of the following freeze well:-
    • twinks hobnobs
    • Mrs M's courgette bread/muffins
    • Jazzy00's weetabix brownies
    And for all thos hayfever sufferers, a few years ago I changed my DH (who was just my OH at the time) to red onions (it suggested them in one of my friend's aromatherapy books) and with the exception of this year his hayfever has been great. He has been having a few probs this year, but still nothing like 3 or 4 years ago

• Frith
    • By Frith 7th May 08, 10:07 AM
    • 5,198 Posts
    • 49,247 Thanks
    Frith
    I quite like the sound of the frozen bananas.

I've got an ice lolly mould and yesterday put it in the freezer. My boys will eat frozen juice or milk and on occasions have had frozen water! I think it came from Woolworths, its been really useful.

Liz
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 7th May 08, 10:13 AM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 30,610 Thanks
    sashanut
    Morning all

Have returned from our trip to Cardiff - v.disappointed that Lakeland shop wasn't open on Sunday - I'm sure it was last year! Oh well it did mean I didn't spend anything. Few problems before we left at the last minute - as ever!! - including Aga gone out so we have been without since last Friday. No hot water, cooker, toaster etc so had to get aged table top cooker from cellar & use immersion heater etc etc thank goodness he is coming today to fix it hopefully.....but a bill coming there deffo..............

Please can you put me down for 250 this month - I may do better (i hope so!!) but at least I might come in on or under budget for a change......at least if the cooker is working I can start baking again - I have a combi microwave but it hurts to use electricity when I shouldn't have to!

The 250 is for me, DH, DD17, 2 cats, 2 dogs includes all toiletries, pet food & etc
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : 5500 OD GONE, 2000 OD - GONE 93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • hollyh
    • By hollyh 7th May 08, 11:27 AM
    • 5,450 Posts
    • 114,936 Thanks
    hollyh
    Hi

I spent 39.79 at Tesco yesterday and 3 at the market. Hopefully that should last us just over a week:rolleyes: . Going to update sig now.
  • pennypinchingmum
    PPM, does this bread/muffins freezer well?

Thanks
    Originally posted by clair2305
    hello, first of all i havent tried freezing them but having tried quite a few of this sort of recipe in general they freeze well. I also dont know how long it lasts as mine doesnt tend to get past 2days since my OH loves it.
    Today i tried making a sweet version, It turned out very nicely. My oh doesnt like very sweet bread (unlike my children and i) so i didnt make it to sweet, it tastes delicious though i need to tinker with the cooking times and temperatures. As a basic i just replaced sugar with honey, cheese with raisins and herbs with mixed spice ginger and cinnamon. I cooked it almost the same except i had the oven a fraction colder on 175c and cooked for a little longer. This is because when you bake with honey breads and cakes brown quicker, so you do have more of a crust with this one. I would keep an eye out to make sure it doesnt brown to quickly. Glad your all enjoying the recipe.
  • mandy_moo_1
    Aww, hoping Rosie is OK. Is that her in your piccie?
    Originally posted by Boomdocker
    aw thank you everyone yes, that's her in the little pic....but she's a ruby not a rosie

she had to have her dew claw removed cos she'd caught it and started to rip it off a bit...but she was SO brave! she's back home now, and loving all the fuss the other dogs are giving her

• MRSMCAWBER
    Clair2305

The courgette muffing freeze fine..and the mini ones can even be eaten straight from the freezer ..won't say how i found that out
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • victory
    NSD for me today again getting a dab hand at this, looking at the foods I have already bought in a different light, I have always had loads in but not really know what to do with it but now thanks to you lot we are in for some lovely dinners
    http://www.cookuk.co.uk/cake/banana-cake.htm step by step guide for banana cake (can't remember who asked for a recipe with bananas)
    [QUOTE=misspiggy;51404641]I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory
  • Tashja
    Please can someone point me in the direction of Courgette Muffins

Glad Ruby is fine - my bad for getting her name wrong - sorry

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - 20.01
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi there Tashja ..here you go..managed to find and copy it

It is supposed to be made in a 2lb loaf tin..but i decided to turn it into mini muffins (hubby doesn't have much of a sweet tooth and i still have enough weight to lose -so thought mini was a good idea ) it made 38

Anyone who likes carrot/passioncake should love this one

COURGETTE TEA BREAD
    pre-heat oven to 180c/350f/gas 4
    grease a 2lb loaf tin and bottom line with greaseproof paper - make it so it comes up the narrow edges so you can use it to lift it out
    or line muffin tins with papers
    1. 1 large egg
    2. 125ml sunflower oil
    3. 175g courgettes -trimmed and grated (on large holes)
    4. 150g wholewheat flour -i used ordinary
    5. 1/2tsp baking powder
    6. 1tsp bicarb
    7. 1tsp ground cinnamon
    8. 175g soft dark brown sugar
    9. 75g sultanas
    10. 3oz walnuts chopped
    • tip courgettes and all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well
    • whisk egg into the oil and pour into dry goods
    • mix to a thick batter and pour in tin
    • shove in oven for about 1 hr or until a skewer comes out clean..cool in tin for 10 mins before turning out to cool
    How is THAT for a method? ...chuck it in, stir it round..job done
    when cutting you will need a really sharp knife as its lovely n sticky and This will keep in a tin for 1 week.... or can be frozen.
    i made 38 mini muffins and they took about 15 mins a batch and if you let them stand for a few seconds in the tin they firm up and are easier to remove
    Last edited by MRSMCAWBER; 07-05-2008 at 1:21 PM.
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • jinky67
    My shopping was delivered today 103.07...hopefully it will last the month( apart from milk and fruit and veg etc) as I have loads in the freezer from last month.....so I discovered when I was putting it away:rolleyes:
    6 loads of mince and 5 packs of sausages
    only problem I have now is nowhere to put leftovers etc..oops
    Once a Flylady, always a Flylady
  • leonlala
    hi all
    good news about Ruby Mandy!
    managed to get to town this am, got a lift with neighbor in exchange for helping her get mobility scooter in and out of car.
    so spending to account for:
    £5.03 in Somerfield (two boxes of tick tock 99p each. it's redbush tea I don't drink tea.)
    looked at yellow sticker but said no no. don't need it.
    small pot of yogurt for trying again with yogurt making.
    £11.45 in fruit and veg shop
    £3.64 in woolworths (£1 on tub to keep h/m yoghurt in. and £2 on two pairs of short for ds.)
    £8.17 in butchers
    £ 1.99 on book on stall for dd for 8th birthday from her brother.
    thats its!!
    hopefully that should be it till next week, maybe, apart from sweety day. (fri)
    and possibly might have to get some sandals for kids, thinking about croc like shoes in stead and simpsons (2 for 1) thou not sure how much they are.
    off to enjoy the sun.
    lala
    Last edited by leonlala; 07-05-2008 at 12:50 PM.
    BSC member 187

• Tashja
    Thank you MrsMcawber

Going to give them a go - not going to tell DH and the kids its got Courgette in though !!!

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - 20.01
    • Nessa56
    • By Nessa56 7th May 08, 1:04 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 5,139 Thanks
    Nessa56
    Asda shop arrived on Saturday, there was soooooooo much more there than I remember ordering, I felt so bad for the guy I had to give him a tip.

Number 3 NSD day for me this week

I like this game very much

v
    x
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE 6 - MEMBER NUMBER 086 Special Star from Sue
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 7th May 08, 1:12 PM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 35,913 Thanks
    Justamum
    Spends so far - 195.49 out of 350. I did buy quite a few packets of prunes, dried blueberries and nuts and berries (Waitrose ones) which had been drastically reduced. They should last a while - if I can keep my hands off them

I also bought some Waitrose organic bread flour because the price seems to have come down from 1.45 to 1.29. I'm going to Tesco on Saturday, so if they have the Doves bread flour still at 1.01 I'll buy a few of those too.

I will only be buying stuff which is a bargain for the storecupboard stocks between now and the end of my month (24th May) because I have plenty in to feed us all until then.

• Penny-Pincher!!
    Hi Again!

Ive just found a Quiche Lorraine in the freezer, so will do that for dinner tomorrow night instead of Shepherds Pie with the weather being so warm ATM. Might get OH to pop to the Greengrocers on way to pick DD up and get a lettuce, beetroot and some new pots. Then tomorrow we can have Quiche, mixed salad, boiled eggs and new pots. Yummy!

Might do a jelly for pudding.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 7th May 08, 1:38 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Bought stuff to make soup the other day and havent made it yet because the weather has gone crazy!! However i dont want to waste the veggies, should i just make it and freeze it:confused: Although dont really have much freezer room Grr, its all so complicated
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • gingernutbizkit
    • By gingernutbizkit 7th May 08, 1:45 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    gingernutbizkit
    Hi all.

Decided to take my grocery money out in cash so I can keep a genuine eye on it.

Spent 1.83 today on scones and jam to use up the left over cream from monday night.

Our new fridge/freezer has arrived too so I intend to spend time tomorrow morning organising my food.

My cooking skills are ok but I must admit that I have never done much baking really. I have a bread machine but have only ever used the ready prepared mixes in it. What would you all do if you wanted to get started? Does making your own bread, cakes etc really save a lot of money?

Ginger x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter