Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • harryharp
    • By harryharp 25th Apr 08, 12:53 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    harryharp
    • 25th Apr 08, 12:53 PM
    • 25th Apr 08, 12:53 PM
    See the thread I started re. the Lloyds Pharmacy Allergy Reliever and Ionising Air Purifier: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=862191
  • phil_2006
    • 29th Apr 08, 8:19 PM
    • 29th Apr 08, 8:19 PM
    Think sainsburys are pricing themselves out of the market this year. pack of 30 generic piriton at £199.00 according to the hayfever article. think i'd rather suffer
    Last edited by phil_2006; 30-04-2008 at 8:44 AM.
  • snowman2
    • 29th Apr 08, 8:28 PM
    • 29th Apr 08, 8:28 PM
    Brand name Piriton is actually very cheap when bought wholesale. We sell them at 3p each and still make a decent profit. £1.99 for 30 seems expensive to me but they can charge what they like as people don't like to suffer from hayfever (and no you can't buy them from your vet for human use!)
  • Sam_26
    • 29th Apr 08, 9:33 PM
    Pricing error
    • 29th Apr 08, 9:33 PM
    I have just had the e-mail from MSE about the hayfever tablets and last week we dropped the price of cetirizine in our bulk buy section to £0.59 for 30. This is the lowest in the marketplace and on offer until 6th May 2008.

http://www.chemist-4-u.com/product.php?productid=16430&cat=318&bestseller

Sorry if this is seen as self-promotion, but there seems to have been an error on the market research.

We also have regular discount coupons on mail shots to regular customer giving them 10% discounts.

I also feel there is lack of research on the article on these lines, which many people use in conjunction with their tablets:

Beconase (100 Sprays) £3 at Tesco. £3.98 each at Superdrug, ASDA and Boots
    Flixonase (180 Sprays) £6.99 at Boots
    Sodium Cromoglicate Eye Drops Own Brand £4.79 Boots

These lines are available significantly cheaper online, as generics, as beclomethasone nasal spray 200 dose is available from £2.99, fluticasone nasal spray from £4.99 and sodium cromoglicate eye drops from £1.29.

Maybe the mods need to do a little more research!
    Last edited by Sam_26; 29-04-2008 at 9:42 PM.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Chemist-4-u. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • gmmorris
    • 29th Apr 08, 9:36 PM
    • 29th Apr 08, 9:36 PM
    My local chemist supplies packs of Chlorophenamine x 28 for 98p. The brand is APS.
  • Lelly
    • 29th Apr 08, 10:13 PM
    Help Needed
    • 29th Apr 08, 10:13 PM
    Hi, I have a severe lactose intolerance, I also suffer from multiple allergies and at the moment get my meds fro friends visiting the US as all the btitish ones I know have lactose..does anyone know any different? :confused: I need to carry them around so syrup is not convenient..Cant drive obviosly when on medication from US as I get Benadryl..can anyone help here?
    Life is too short for learning from your own mistakes
  • prime4
    • 30th Apr 08, 9:26 AM
    Cheapest Hayfever medications 2008
    • 30th Apr 08, 9:26 AM
    Piriton certainly helps me cope with Hay Fever and can calm down insect bites too.

Tesco pharmacy sold me 500 tablets (unbranded) for £8.18 (expiry date is 2010).

Going shares with another sufferer makes this a sound buy .
  • chrisyklx
    • 30th Apr 08, 10:25 AM
    • 30th Apr 08, 10:25 AM
    my son finds the lidls non drowsy hayfever tablets the best,i think they cost about 89p a box
    • TheOne
    • By TheOne 30th Apr 08, 5:30 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    TheOne
    I read the artice, and the bit that said:
    "Patent laws mean there is currently no generic equivalent of Benadryl, which makes it one of the most expensive treatments in the long-term."
    A couple of years ago I was prescribed one called Semprex, which was acrivastine, which is what Benadryl is, however my last prescroption was Benadryl, so what happended to Semprex I don't know, bit of a bummer really because the Semprex came in a pack of about 60, which would probably last me a couple of summers. Benadryl, I think, only comes in 12 or maybe 24 ??

Picture here: Not especially clear, sorry. It's scanned

• motika007
    cheapest hayfever tabs
    Pharmacy in nottingham is selling packs of 30, cetirizine or loratadine for 99p plus 50p for postage!!! by far the cheapest contact 0800 121 4589
  • Penny1981
    All this talk of hayfever is making me itchy!
    TTC #1 02/11
    EED 12/11
    MFW by 2020 Currently £91,272.49 28/06/11

• Sam_26
    Acrivastine
    In reply to your question, Semprex was the 84s prescription only pack of Acrivastine, but they were discontinued.

The only ones made are now Benadryl (12s and 24s) and Benadryl Plus (Contains Pseudoephedrine) 12s only.

This is an expensive item and requires ONE three times a day, so 12 only last 4 days and costs approc £4, therefore £1 a day.

Cheapest way to obtain is on NHS prescription from your GP if this cures hayfever symptoms and none of the others work.

I read the artice, and the bit that said:
    "Patent laws mean there is currently no generic equivalent of Benadryl, which makes it one of the most expensive treatments in the long-term."
    A couple of years ago I was prescribed one called Semprex, which was acrivastine, which is what Benadryl is, however my last prescroption was Benadryl, so what happended to Semprex I don't know, bit of a bummer really because the Semprex came in a pack of about 60, which would probably last me a couple of summers. Benadryl, I think, only comes in 12 or maybe 24 ??

Picture here: Not especially clear, sorry. It's scanned

Originally posted by TheOne
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Chemist-4-u. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • EllieB
    I don't suffer from Hayfever but I have read that a good (free!) remedy is to make a nettle tea from preferably local stinging nettles - collect (wearing gloves obviously) and then heat gently then serve! Apparently the sting is disabled by heat.
  • Shazbat
    In reply to your question, Semprex was the 84s prescription only pack of Acrivastine, but they were discontinued.

The only ones made are now Benadryl (12s and 24s) and Benadryl Plus (Contains Pseudoephedrine) 12s only.

This is an expensive item and requires ONE three times a day, so 12 only last 4 days and costs approc £4, therefore £1 a day.

Cheapest way to obtain is on NHS prescription from your GP if this cures hayfever symptoms and none of the others work.
    Originally posted by Sam_26
    I started on Phenagan 10 (sp?) when I was a child with hay fever, then these (I believe) were banned for children. I then went herbal, with a tablet called Euphrasia which was then discontinued because one of the ingredients could also be found in Ecstacy. I've had Clarityn from the doctors and also tried Piriton, neither of which works. Then I started taking Benadryl a few years ago now and it's the only one for me now.

I started on normal Benadryl and then when my hay fever peaked in about June/July would up it to Benadryl Plus. However in the last couple of years I've had to start with Plus as my symptoms have worsened. Now I've discovered this year that Benadryl Plus is now only available in 12s due to it containing decongestant (wtf? I carry all manner of painkillers for a bad back, including Diazepam and Diclofenac so if I want to do myself harm I ain't going to be overdosing on decongestant), but they work for me and I object to paying prescription charges (I had 3 the other week before a painkiller was found that worked on my back pain; I should be able to get a refund for the ones that didn't work - yeah, right). I used to buy 24s and, as they work quickly I only take them as I need to and get by on 1-a-day, so mine do at least last 12 or more days.

I also take a teaspoon of honey every morning. Pledge also do a furniture polish that keeps allergens to a minimum and that works a treat for me.
    Last edited by Shazbat; 01-05-2008 at 8:21 AM.
  • laura1983hirst
    Fezofenadine
    Does anyone use this drug, or a cheaper alternative as I get this on prescription and it costs a bomb?!?

ANy help gratefully received, Ive tried piriton/benadryl/cetrisine hydrochloride etc to no effect hence I ended up on theses :confused: .

Ta,Laura
  • motika007
    Cheap Hayfever Tabs
    JUST FOUND THE CHEAPEST HAYFEVER TABS EVER!!! PACKS OF 30 LORATADINE OR CETIRIZINE FOR 99P WITH JUST 50P POSTAGE!!!! COMAPARED TO £2.95 POSTAGE OF CHEMIST DIRECT!!! CAN CALL FREE ON 0800 121 4589:confused:
    • zerodashzero
    • By zerodashzero 2nd May 08, 9:01 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 1,873 Thanks
    zerodashzero
    Not cheap Benadryl, but a good deal?
    After reading Martin’s article I was a bit gutted to see that my brand (Benadryl) didn’t have a generic alternative. It seems the most effective one for me, I prefer the 8 hours as 24 knock me out and it’s great to use when I visit family & friends that own cats (allergies - grr!). Yesterday I decided to do a bit of shopping around, starting with Sainsburys – 2 x 12 pack for £6. Hmm.

Next stop Boots.
    The 12 packs had a big BOGOF shelf sign – yay! Except that even though Benadryl was included in the offer, it was only for 7 & 14 packs. Which they didn’t stock. (And I’m a little suspicious to whether they even exist in these pack sizes at all).

After grumbling at the sales assistant, she double checked on the till & they came up as 2 for £6 (same as Sainsburys). Hey ho. I get a better card deal with Boots than Nectar so I decided to stock up & buy 4 packs as the expiry date was 2010.

But then I was pleasantly surprised by the additional freebies – 2 packs of Boots own brand hayfever relief eyedrops (priced at £4.79 each) and a £5.00 facial skin care voucher (exp May 20).

So, for £12.00 I received –
    4 x 12 Benadryl (£3.98 x 4 = £15.92)
    2 x eye drops (£4.79 x 2 = £9.58)
    £5 skin care voucher (used on £4.50 product to avoid paying extra)
    48 Boots Advantage points (= 48p)

Grand total? - £30.48 for £12.

Can anyone find a better deal?

PS – Don’t forget that you shouldn’t mix alcohol with antihistamines (another reason why 8 hour tabs are better than 24 – you can take a break for booze!).
  • joeparnell
    Its good to see alot of people hunting down the cheapest deal but is does anyone here find these drugs have little or no effect??

I went for years on prescribed drugs and drugs form over the counter and my summers were still made a misery by hayfever, some nights were so bad that when invited out with friends and i desperately wanted to go I'd have to refuse and stay in. That was until I found out about medibee pollen capsules...my symptoms are literally 10% what they always have been, they have totally changed my summers. I would unreservedly recommend them to everyone, you can find them on www.medibee.co.uk. I think a whole summer's course (which is what I always buy) is around £35 I think, but the relief they give really is priceless. I think the site says you should start taking them in March time to build up immunity but I'd imagine they'd still provide welcome relief if started now.

If anyones wondering what they are, they are not anti-histamines or like anything else on the market, they are literally capsules full of thousands of different types of pollen grains, you take them on an empty stomach, the pollen is absorbed into the blood stream and you are immune!!
  • ptsupermix
    hi there i get my loratadine hayfever tablets from somewhere called Arizona Pharmasuticles(google loratadine hayfever tablets)and because the pound is stong against the dollar i get 300 tablets for about £15.00. I take one a day because i have other allergies as well as hayfever so this is ideal for me
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

335Posts Today

5,810Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin