Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 19th Oct 05, 8:26 AM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    More4 on Freeview
    • 19th Oct 05, 8:26 AM
    More4 on Freeview 19th Oct 05 at 8:26 AM
    If you've got Freeview, you should be able to access the new channel from the Channel4 stable, More4. However if you're not getting it automatically you will need to retune your box

These are the basics (from the More4 website)

Here's how...

Check your box has updated automatically: when you're watching TV, press 13 on your remote control. If More4 appears at channel 13 then you don't need to do anything. If channel 13 is still S4C2 then you need to rescan your box manually.

Your box may give you the option to rescan, in which case do so. This way, you will pick up ALL the channels available to you.

Your box may do nothing, in which case you definitely need to rescan it manually.

For more info see http://www.channel4.com/more4/getmore4.html
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • Woby_Tide
    • By Woby_Tide 19th Oct 05, 10:10 AM
    • 5,202 Posts
    • 1,965 Thanks
    Woby_Tide
    • 19th Oct 05, 10:10 AM
    • 19th Oct 05, 10:10 AM
    Even if you have already got More4 in the correct place there was big reshuffle of all the digital freeview channels yesterday(October 18th) so probably worth rescanning all your freeview boxes anyway

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/digital_tv/retune_freeview.shtml
  • Peter-Pan
    • 20th Oct 05, 12:13 PM
    • 20th Oct 05, 12:13 PM
    I tried to rescan today it said 16 channels to much,do i need another freeview box,cant get channel 13.I dont have a slot in this box.
    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.
    • Dan29
    • By Dan29 20th Oct 05, 12:25 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 4,074 Thanks
    Dan29
    • 20th Oct 05, 12:25 PM
    • 20th Oct 05, 12:25 PM
    Also, ITV4 is appearing on channel 30 on the 1st of November, so it's worth doing another rescan then.
    • paul_h
    • By paul_h 20th Oct 05, 12:31 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    paul_h
    • 20th Oct 05, 12:31 PM
    • 20th Oct 05, 12:31 PM
    I tried to rescan today it said 16 channels to much,do i need another freeview box,cant get channel 13.I dont have a slot in this box.
    by Peter-Pan
    You shouldn't need a new box.

If you've got an old ondigital or itvdigital box, you need to make sure you do a full rescan by selecting "Store Channels" from the "Getting Started" menu.

Do not use the "Add channels" option, this tries to add the new positions to the channels already stored - as some of the channel numbers have changed you will end up with duplicates.
  • stu_c
    • 20th Oct 05, 1:24 PM
    more4 on freeview, erm.. less4?
    • 20th Oct 05, 1:24 PM
    Just a word of warning, please check what channels you should be able to receive for your area, then check what what you are actually receiving at the moment.

I started with a freeview box tuned in London, which still worked fine when I moved out of London presumeably because the aerial at my house points to the transmitter there. However, when I decided to retune for more4, I ended up with less4, if fact no channel 4, no e4 and no itv. I can only get the bbc channels, which is roughly in-line with what I should be receiving according to the coverage information.

It's a rented place, so I can't do much about the aerial, so it's back to a mate's house in London to tune it there!
  • denled
    • 20th Oct 05, 1:52 PM
    • 20th Oct 05, 1:52 PM
    Is there anything on More4 all Ive seen so far are previews ???
  • Steve-182
    • 20th Oct 05, 2:08 PM
    • 20th Oct 05, 2:08 PM
    denled, More4 should be up and running. Look out for Morgan Spurlock's (the Super Size Me guy) new series "30 days" which promises to be very interesting indeed.
    "Excellent !!"
    • Dan29
    • By Dan29 20th Oct 05, 2:21 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 4,074 Thanks
    Dan29
    • 20th Oct 05, 2:21 PM
    • 20th Oct 05, 2:21 PM
    Is there anything on More4 all Ive seen so far are previews ???
    by denled
    There's nothing on the channel until about 4pm each day.
  • denled
    Ah just been trying it in the morning !! Thanks everybody
    • GibsonSt19
    • By GibsonSt19 20th Oct 05, 2:54 PM
    • 2,617 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    GibsonSt19
    Is this new channel on SkyDigital too?
    • Dan29
    • By Dan29 20th Oct 05, 2:59 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 4,074 Thanks
    Dan29
    Is this new channel on SkyDigital too?
    by GibsonSt19
    Try channel 165. It's only available if you have a subscription though.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4332664.stm
    • kestra
    • By kestra 20th Oct 05, 4:43 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    kestra
    more 4 sky rippoff
    for sky digital users More 4 should be freeview as should e4. It isnt channel 4 but Sky who encrypt this service to the detriment of the public.

The only way we will get this changed is if we write to ofcom to inform them of this unfair practice!!!!!!!!!!
  • geezerbob
    more poor would be a better name for it
  • Matrix
    OK. I have changed from the basic sky package (because it is too expensive) and paid Sky 20 for their "Freestat from Sky" obviously keeping my very ancient sky box - I just stuck the new card in it. Now I still get BBC on 101, BBC2 on 102 etc etc, the channels I can't get are still there like Sky one on 106 etc. How do I rescan so I know I am getting all the freeview channels I should be getting? I can't rescan because I can't bring up channel 13 nor does the menu on the sky remote bring up a rescan option. Am I better off ditching the old sky box and getting a Freeview box instead? To make matters more complicated we have a plasma screen linked into a box along with the sky box, video and cinema surround - nightmare. Please help!
  • Spart
    I came across this site while looking for info on free satelite channels. One price, no rental and something like 4000 channels. Got to be better than sky! http://www.satalogue.com/
  • Stevetech
    Extra channels on freeview - bad news
    If you bought one of the first batch of cheap freeview boxes, those rushed out after the collapse of ITV Digital you may need to buy a new box to receive all the new channels. This is because they have limited memory and there are now more channels than they can remember.

Good news is that if you bought it in tha last year you can take it back for your money back- tell them that under the sale of goods act it must be fit for purpose and as it cant receive all the channels it obviously isnt. You might have to threaten them with trading standards but if its a big chain theyll probably take the loss and give you a replacement. You still cant beet the original On Digital boxes, i have 2 still going strong and better built than the new ones. The software isnt as upto date but they are much more reliable. Good Luck
    • Vikingfan
    • By Vikingfan 20th Oct 05, 9:50 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Vikingfan
    I phoned Sky asking could they send me a card so I could recieve more4 they said I would have to upgrade (I only have the freeview on sky).
    I thought it was down to a deal between 4 and Sky.
    Is anyone else going to write to OFcom?
    • brendanego
    • By brendanego 21st Oct 05, 9:29 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    brendanego
    Just a word of warning, please check what channels you should be able to receive for your area, then check what what you are actually receiving at the moment.

I started with a freeview box tuned in London, which still worked fine when I moved out of London presumeably because the aerial at my house points to the transmitter there. However, when I decided to retune for more4, I ended up with less4, if fact no channel 4, no e4 and no itv. I can only get the bbc channels, which is roughly in-line with what I should be receiving according to the coverage information.

It's a rented place, so I can't do much about the aerial, so it's back to a mate's house in London to tune it there!
    by stu_c
    Might be worth trying to rescan it again. I live in Leeds and every time I re-scan I usually lose channels like BBC1 & 2 and it usually takes me a few attempts to get everything back on track.
  • lipidicman
    Might be worth trying to rescan it again. I live in Leeds and every time I re-scan I usually lose channels like BBC1 & 2 and it usually takes me a few attempts to get everything back on track.
    by brendanego
    I lost BBC1 and BBC2 last night. Second scan got them back. I have an old pioneer on-digital box.

A second tip is if it asks for a user pin when you select 'store channels' then remove any old smartcards still in the slot (I still had the on-digital card in there) and this should solve it. I had inherited my box and just presumed that the old user had neglected to tell me the pin!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,547Posts Today

9,571Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin