Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th Oct 05, 12:13 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Get a bigger discount in store at Dixons etc
    • 17th Oct 05, 12:13 PM
    0 WOW
    Get a bigger discount in store at Dixons etc 17th Oct 05 at 12:13 PM
    How to get a bigger discount in store at Dixons, Currys and the like:

Buy anything from Dixons or Currys (and similar stores) and they'll try to flog you their Coverplan warranty. Yet this is rarely worth it. The Consumers Association has done many studies which show the cost of the warranty versus the likelihood of breakdown and likely cost of repair and it never pays to get such warranties. Even if you do you're better off with a multi-utility policy from someone like Norwich Union.

Anyway onto the point. If you buy something they'll try and flog you such warranties, yet push them for a reduction. Often you'll get 20-30% if you take a policy. Buy the goods, then cancel the policy later.

Dixons Cover Plan Service Agreement:

Can becancelled within 45 days and get a full refund, after this the refund will be pro rata.

Curry's Whateverhappens Service Agreement:

Can be cancelled within 14 days to get a refund.

Please discuss your success/failure
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • Kazzea
    • 17th Oct 05, 3:13 PM
    • 17th Oct 05, 3:13 PM
    I think i will be trying this in the next month or so on a new tft monitor for Christmas so will let you all know - cheers Martin
    • omega27
    • By omega27 17th Oct 05, 5:03 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    omega27
    • 17th Oct 05, 5:03 PM
    • 17th Oct 05, 5:03 PM
    I have been doing this for years, and when I used to work for DSG (for my sins!) I got customers to do the same! Is it actually legal to offer a discount if you take out a 'Service Agreement'? Used to put it through as Price Match.
  • elvis_bloggs
    • 17th Oct 05, 5:12 PM
    • 17th Oct 05, 5:12 PM
    I have been doing this for years, and when I used to work for DSG (for my sins!) I got customers to do the same! Is it actually legal to offer a discount if you take out a 'Service Agreement'? Used to put it through as Price Match.
    by rjlawson
    Now you tell us....humph.!!
    • hellofreebies
    • By hellofreebies 17th Oct 05, 5:16 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    hellofreebies
    • 17th Oct 05, 5:16 PM
    • 17th Oct 05, 5:16 PM
    i tried to get discounts for opting for their warranty with currys on a fridge recently and was told they are not allowed to discount goods any more... though the quoted warranty prices he gave me were way more competive....so i guess they mustve caught up with that lil loophole! has anyone taken advantage of this recently?
  • eiamhere69
    • 17th Oct 05, 6:13 PM
    • 17th Oct 05, 6:13 PM
    This was posted a few months ago. I remember recently, but couldn't remember exactly how it worked, all I could remember was that it was a discount connected somehow with extended warranties.

The store manager gets a bonus dependant on how many extended warranties he can sell. So he is prepared to take a loss on the product, if you take out the cover. Money in his pocket also.
    • omega27
    • By omega27 17th Oct 05, 9:16 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    omega27
    • 17th Oct 05, 9:16 PM
    • 17th Oct 05, 9:16 PM
    Also worth adding that one of the discount codes is 'Coverplan' & this will be shown on the receipt. If you got a discount for taking out the agreement, they might charge you the difference.

Was better when you could pay for the agreement over 10 months via DD after a 10 deposit. Customer got loads of things for 10, I got good sales figures, boss was happy. Customer then cancels the DD & everyone's a winner, apart from Dixons ;-)
    • deanos
    • By deanos 17th Oct 05, 11:43 PM
    • 10,854 Posts
    • 5,566 Thanks
    deanos
    • 17th Oct 05, 11:43 PM
    • 17th Oct 05, 11:43 PM
    I have also been doing this for several years.

They are not allowed to discount the warranty so the goods gets discounted they cant ask for it back.
    • toozie
    • By toozie 18th Oct 05, 7:07 AM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    • 18th Oct 05, 7:07 AM
    • 18th Oct 05, 7:07 AM
    Just done this in Comet when buying a Sony T7 digital camera for 299.

There was already an offer of a 'free' case and extra memory, haggled with the warrenty and they knocked another 10 off, and let me have the purchase on 'Buy now pay in 6 months'.

The warrenty was 59.99 I cancelled it ASAP, and they are refunding it by cheque. I will pay of the balance in 5 months with my Cash Back Credit Card!
    • fatboyonadiet
    • By fatboyonadiet 20th Oct 05, 11:17 AM
    • 5,309 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    fatboyonadiet
    Tried this when I went o get a washing machine, they also told me they can't do this anymore, in the end ordered it online and used some vouchers for a discount and my Egg card for cashback too.
    2p off is still 2p off!
    • fatboyonadiet
    • By fatboyonadiet 20th Oct 05, 11:30 AM
    • 5,309 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    fatboyonadiet
    Does anyone know where I can get a quote for the Norwich Union multi-policy? Can't seem to find it on their website...
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • SnargleFlip
    Splendid suggestion, I saved myself a few bob on a fridge a few months ago:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=76890
  • RufusA
    AFAIK Norwich Union stopped offering the multi-appliance policy a while back for new customers whilst they sorted out some issues with their suppliers.

They haven't re-instated this policy so they may have permanently withdrawn from the market.

Other insurers that may be worth checking are:

British Gas -> http://www.house.co.uk
    Domestic & General -> http://www.domgen.com/
    Warranty Direct -> http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk

Read the T&Cs carefully as some have maximum appliance age, or will only cover kitchen appliances, or will only pay out a small percentage of the purchase price for older appliances. Also check the policy excesses!

HTH - Rufus.
  • skiddy2k
    if its prooving difficult to get discounts off the item, try asking for freebies or extra's. for example, if your buying a dvd recorder, ask for a few blank dvd's or scart leads and try n get your benefits like this.

Skiddy
  • speedtwin
    If you can get a platinum connect debit card from barclays (you have to have a number of products with them to get it such as morgage or loan or barclaycard) any domestic appliance you buy over 25 you get an extra 24 months breakdown cover for free and it applies even if you do a part payment on the card. so my friends get me to buy any appliances then refund me and they get 2 years extra cover.

Havent claimed yet so dont know how good it is.
  • Mr Warren
    Are you sure this is 24 extra months? I am a member of the Barclay's Addition Plus (you pay 12 per month for the privilege) but all the appliances I have ever registered only got 12 months on top of manufacturers's warranty. They could have increased their cover, ll the better for me.
    For everybody's information, by being a member of BAP, you also get very cheap private insurance for the kids (9 per month), Road side assistance with home start etc for free, Holiday Multi-trip insurance cover for the family, Cover for loss/damaged items bought with the card, free currency exchange and more. This is worth a lot more than 144 per year to me.
  • lustydog
    If you can get a platinum connect debit card from barclays (you have to have a number of products with them to get it such as morgage or loan or barclaycard) any domestic appliance you buy over 25 you get an extra 24 months breakdown cover for free and it applies even if you do a part payment on the card. so my friends get me to buy any appliances then refund me and they get 2 years extra cover.

Havent claimed yet so dont know how good it is.
    by DAVID_BOYALL
    I have always used the interest free option when buying from Curry's. Over 6 or 12 months depending on the price of the item, and then paid in full just before the interest was due to start. However the loan co. has caught on and now charges 20 to cover the cost of paperwork. With interest rates at 29.9% only high priced items are worth doing this way, and then only if your desperate
  • dninja
    A friend of mine tried this and got 100 off a 400 stereo. He cancelled the insurance but the stereo broke well withing the normal warrenty period.

Dixons (I think) refused to fix it untill he paid the 100 they discounted him. I told him to fight it but he bottled out. I'm sure he would have won, am I right?
  • speedtwin
    Are you sure this is 24 extra months? I am a member of the Barclay's Addition Plus (you pay 12 per month for the privilege) but all the appliances I have ever registered only got 12 months on top of manufacturers's warranty. They could have increased their cover, ll the better for me.
    For everybody's information, by being a member of BAP, you also get very cheap private insurance for the kids (9 per month), Road side assistance with home start etc for free, Holiday Multi-trip insurance cover for the family, Cover for loss/damaged items bought with the card, free currency exchange and more. This is worth a lot more than 144 per year to me.
    by Mr Warren
    Yes i am sure i quoted from the information i got with the account. also it doesnt cost anything to have but you have to quaify to get it(having some of their products). you can also get 750 out of the cash machine which is higher than normal. check it out on the barcleys web site, i only got it coz it was something for nothing.
  • bwgames
    A friend of mine tried this and got 100 off a 400 stereo. He cancelled the insurance but the stereo broke well withing the normal warrenty period.

Dixons (I think) refused to fix it untill he paid the 100 they discounted him. I told him to fight it but he bottled out. I'm sure he would have won, am I right?
    by dninja
    They're totally wrong and illegal.
    Sale of Goods act. It has a manufacturers warranty, which is seperate from Coverplan etc. Your contract when buying the goods is for the retailer to fix it if it goes wrong, within the normal warranty period.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,279Posts Today

7,866Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin