Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • By 16011996 15th Nov 04, 3:31 PM
    • 8,140Posts
    • 3,704Thanks
    Vertical Blinds
    • 15th Nov 04, 3:31 PM
    Vertical Blinds 15th Nov 04 at 3:31 PM
    Any tips on how to clean them, i wipe with a damp cloth every so often, but they are looking a bit manky, can i wash them?
Page 1
    • beccajune
    • By beccajune 15th Nov 04, 10:39 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    beccajune
    • 15th Nov 04, 10:39 PM
    Re: Vertical Blinds
    • 15th Nov 04, 10:39 PM
    I have found that putting a couple of inches of warm water in the bath and swirling them around in it brings them up lovely or if really dirty, a bit of multi-purpose in the water and a bath sponge to wipe lightly.
    When drying I have found one of those camping airers (a circle with lots of pegs around it, Sorry I don't know what they are called). Hope this helps
    • likabu
    • By likabu 16th Nov 04, 2:14 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    likabu
    • 16th Nov 04, 2:14 PM
    • 16th Nov 04, 2:14 PM
    Quick tip, if they are the ones that are glued at the bottom, don't have the water too hot!!

Don't know what I was thinking when I tried to clean mine up, put them in hot water and the glue melted, : duh!!

Had to buy new ones in the end because they couldn't be saved!! >

Lisa
  • rushnowt
    • 19th Nov 04, 12:26 AM
    • 19th Nov 04, 12:26 AM
    i've done this before, putting them in the bath, but i used some washing powder, don't know if i should or not but came up lovely.
    • nicki
    • By nicki 19th Nov 04, 12:31 PM
    • 7,231 Posts
    • 87,792 Thanks
    nicki
    • 19th Nov 04, 12:31 PM
    • 19th Nov 04, 12:31 PM
    When we moved in here my mum put our vertical blinds in her washing machine on the most gentle wash she could. They came out creased but they also came out white when they went in yellow.
    • By 16011996 19th Nov 04, 1:54 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 19th Nov 04, 1:54 PM
    • 19th Nov 04, 1:54 PM
    i wondered bout wool wash on washing machine, but it plays up as it is, so i think i;ll stick to the bath. but that def sounds less effort.
    • Katykat
    • By Katykat 23rd Feb 06, 4:36 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    Katykat
    • 23rd Feb 06, 4:36 PM
    cleaning vertical blinds
    • 23rd Feb 06, 4:36 PM
    Anyone know a simple way to clean the fabric blinds? I was once told ( by a blind fitter) to roll them up and put them in the washer. I did this and they came out very bitty around the edges, so now I'm reluctant to do it with another set. However, they do desperately need cleaning.

PS, he wasn't really blind
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 23rd Feb 06, 4:43 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 23rd Feb 06, 4:43 PM
    • 23rd Feb 06, 4:43 PM
    There are three threads listed under "Blinds" in the Cleaning section of the MEGA Index sticky that should help you out here. One of them especially because it's about vertical blinds
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • ladygrey
    • 23rd Feb 06, 5:55 PM
    • 23rd Feb 06, 5:55 PM
    I've tried to find this squeeky but just got totally lost!!
  • TomPearce1984
    i am a blind fitter by trade, have seen many people put these types of blind in the washer and have just shredded to bits. the best solution to this is to fill a bowl with warm water with a very light fairy liquid solution, and then let them dry naturally.

hope this helps.
  • williams55
    Anyone know a simple way to clean the fabric blinds? I was once told ( by a blind fitter) to roll them up and put them in the washer. I did this and they came out very bitty around the edges, so now I'm reluctant to do it with another set. However, they do desperately need cleaning.

PS, he wasn't really blind
    by Katykat
    my mrs sticks them in a pillow case and throws them in the washing machine . Then just hangs them back on the rail . Great job , works for us ..
    something missing
  • Eagle_1
    I have washed mine in the washer in a pillowcase like the last poster reccomended. The first time i used a normal wash and they didnt come out too good and I had some fraying so the next time I put them on a woolens wash and they were ok.
    I have also washed them in the bath by hand and got as much water out as I could then hung them straight up with a towel laid underneath to catch and drips. I have to say this was in my opinion the best way to stop the fraying and they dried much nicer.

Make sure you hang them up when damp because if you dont you may find you get creases in them and cant get the crease out....thats what happened to me.
  • aussielle
    My vertical blinds were supposed to be machine washable at 40 degrees. Last month I decided they were looking a little grubby so I washed them on a daily wash at 30 degrees. I was almost in tears when they came out, they were all frayed and had shrunk to different lengths, they looked like a bunch of old rags.

It took a few weeks of battling, but in true MSE style I eventually got free replacements from the company that fitted them...needless to say, the new ones won't be going any where near the machine!
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • tiptoes
    I wash mine in the WM roll them up and put them in OH football socks ( he has a few pair) keeps them from fraying and then hang them while still wet.

Mum does the pillowcase thing and it works for her
    Last edited by tiptoes; 23-02-2006 at 11:56 PM.
  • glasgowchick
    Cleaning Vertical Fabric Blinds ???
    Hi all,

I am moving into a new flat which has these fabric blinds in all rooms, I can't afford to replace them as yet but they really need cleaned. The ex owner was a smoker and they stink.

Do you have any ideas, I don't wanna wreck my washing machine,

Any advice, or possible cleaning solutions would be great,

• hazzie123
    • By hazzie123 16th Oct 06, 1:55 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    hazzie123
    You could take everything off them and put them in the washer,I do it all the time. Or you could remove everything and soak them in the bath with some stardrops.I wouldn`t recommend tumble drying them as they may shrink,all I do is hang them back up damp and use my hair straighteners to dry them and iron them at the same time.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007
  • teb
    roll each slat up and put an elastic band around it to secure then wash on a hand wash cycle. if the slats have very bad stains though, this might not work so lie them out in the bath to soak and wash by rubbing gently. hang out on a line to drip dry. doesnt take long. shop who sold my blinds told me this.

do not wash in washing machine if they are not rolled up and do not tumble dry.
  • shetitasatic
    Vertical blinds - can I wash them?
    We have vertical blinds across our french windows which were in the house when we moved in. They are looking a bit grubby now. Can I wash the 'slats'? If so, how do I detatch them and what's the best way to wash them? I have a long, high outdoor clothes line , so drying them wouldn't be a problem. They are a cream colour 'linen' type weave.

Thanks in advance, 'cos I know someone will have the answer!!
  • alared
    Just unhook each slat at the top and put them inside a pillowcase and into the washing machine.
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 6th Mar 07, 10:42 AM
    • 26,981 Posts
    • 78,788 Thanks
    jackieb
    Are they stitched at the bottom where the weights slot in? If they're stitched you should be okay (on a cool wash). Whenever I wash mine I lay them on a towel over the back of the sofa to dry. If they're glued the chances are the glue will come away, and you'll need to reglue them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,473Posts Today

8,508Users online

Martin's Twitter