PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Need to Make a Veggie Meal - Never Have Before - Help Me Please

Options
Hi

My cooking skills are quite-ish basic, I'm well past boiling an egg etc but don't like overly-complicated recipes with ingredients I've never heard of. I can follow recipes fairly well though, just some of the terms I often don't understand.

My DS is coming home 2moro night with his partner for 2 nights, she is a veggie and I don't think she eats pasta either. I need to make a meal on at least one of the nights (the other night we might have a takeaway). Can anyone help with an easy-ish recipe that's fairly quick to make (I'll be at work till 5) and preferably something that I can just throw in the oven and forget about.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Ms C x
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time

Comments

• prettypennies
    prettypennies Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you had a look on the OS board. I'm sure you will find lots of recipes over there.

My favourite veggie recipe would have to be ratatouille. My version is here:

http://orangepenny.blogspot.com/2006/08/another-wet-august-day.html
    Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!:j:j
  • Mollymop5
    Mollymop5 Posts: 2,095 Forumite
    Options
    A very quick and easy meal is quorn frozen pieces and a jar of korma sauce (nice and mild) with rice.Jacket potato cheese coleslaw & salad.
    Juat a couple of ideas to get you started :)
    lost my way but now I'm back ! roll on 2013
    spc member 72

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Molly, thanks for your suggestions.

BTW she is 25 weeks pregnant and there's bound to be some ingredients she has to avoid, not affecting Molly's suggestions but just to bear in mind.

Thanks x
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ms Chocaholic

I'll move your thread to the 'Old Style' board.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • got-it-spend-it
    Options
    What kind of thing would you normally make? That might give us an idea of what would be most straight forward to put together.

If you're going to use quorn I would just check with her that she eats it (I think it's great but do know veggies who can't eat it). If she does then how about a spag bol or shepherd's pie with the meat mince substituted for quorn mince.

If you want something that won't take much prepping how about jacket potatoes, salad and quiche? That way you could let people help themselves and serve with some coleslaw, potato salad etc.

Mushroom risotto is also fairly easy to make and would make an impressive meal served with a green salad.

GISI
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Options
    Hiya,

There was a slightly related thread not long ago here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=822491

and this one on pulses might also help:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=813339

Hope that gives you some ideas?

PGxx
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What about a lovely quiche with a salad and potatoes, or fried rice with mushrooms and other things. Leek and potato bake, with a cheese sauce poured over, then into the oven.
  • helenamy123
    Options
    hi,

I'm vegetarian and tho i eat some quorn mince and sausages wouldnt touch the quorn pieces - so perhaps best avoided.

Remember that the cheese used in any dish should be vegetarian, and make sure no meat stock or gelatine either. (Get gelatine in a lot of gateauxs and yoghurts) Also make sure the fat you make things with is vegetarian too - no lard! They would probably prefer free range eggs too.

If not sure best to buy something that is specifically marked as veggie such as a quiche- not very os sorry, or make a quiche? Or how about veggie chilli - onion, peppers, mushrooms, beans in a chilli sauce with rice sorta thing?

Good luck!

best regards

helen x
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I would ask your son what sort of things she eats.
    Some people class themselves as veggie but they will eat fish :confused:

Gingham Ribbon did a veggie thread on here, I will have a look and see if I can find it.

Here we go, she also did a Summer one.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • ashlea170706
    Options
    hi wat about a basic veggie casserole with some dumplings serve it with mash or roast pots! hope this helps ash x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure