Anyone Ever Bought An Ex Hire/courtesy Car?

Options
Zoetoes
Zoetoes Posts: 2,496 Forumite
Hi

We have been looking at getting a Ford Focus but they are quite expensive, especially for the newer shape.

After looking at the likes of Arnold Clark etc with not much luck, we went to our local Ford place, they said to get it cheaper they can get ex motability or hire/courtesy cars.

They have found us a new shape one 06 plate, 5 door 1.6 lx, 12,802 miles for £8,495. The print out has Hertz on it so it's either ex hire or courtesy.

Anyone ever bought in this way? Any opinions?

Thanks
If you're going to stalk me, while you're at it can you cut the grass, feed the dog & make sure I've got bread & milk in :D

Comments

• xzibit
    xzibit Posts: 655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They should have been serviced well, and anything that goes wrong would have been sorted by a main dealer, but they wouldn't have been looked after or driven well by the people hiring them.
  • The new ones are on exceptional deals (if you know where to look!) for any that are able to be registered by 31st March - so to put a used one with over 12,000 miles on the clock and a year of its warranty used up, in perspective: a brand new 1st owner deal can be got on Focus LX 1.6 100 ps 5drs in solid paint at £10,700 and metallics at £11,015.

Metallics tend to wear better and look better after 3yrs (flat paints show every small dint, ding and stone chip)

Ex rentals can be good value but remember they've usually had one owner but hundreds of drivers so ensure its been thoroughly checked.

Hope that helps...
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of DealDrivers. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Zoetoes
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I thought that it would be serviced etc by Fords which is good.

I thought that when you hire a car you get charged if it's not in same condition when brought back?

So do you think it would be better to go for an 05 plate not ex hire etc?
    If you're going to stalk me, while you're at it can you cut the grass, feed the dog & make sure I've got bread & milk in :D
  • Zoetoes
    Options
    Also, if we bought one somewhere else does the Ford warranty still apply? What about Ford roadside recovery etc?
  • marty1888
    marty1888 Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    check out https://www.motorpoint.co.uk

great prices for cars on there at vastly reduced prices. They offer a good service and are good to deal with.
  • Zoetoes
    Options
    Thanks, we have looked at motorpoint but after asking on here we were put off.
  • marty1888
    marty1888 Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    ah fair enough.

Good prices though!
  • manda1205
    manda1205 Posts: 2,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zoeleigh wrote:

I thought that when you hire a car you get charged if it's not in same condition when brought back?

So do you think it would be better to go for an 05 plate not ex hire etc?
    You would get charged for any damage but that doesnt mean you don't still thrash the B*****cks off it whilst you've got it. I think thats what other posts where trying to say, I know I did when I got one for insuance purposes. I'd defo go for getting a year or 2 old one, you lose so much money when you buy brand new. I wouldn't recommend a TD either as my OH had one while his was being serviced and it was a bit slow compared to his octavia TD.
  • xzibit
    xzibit Posts: 655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zoeleigh wrote:

External, the bodywork yes. The internals to the engine, clutch, gearbox no lol. :rotfl:
    Every hire car I've had has been thrashed to an inch of it's life. If I have been given the car you may be buying, I feel sorry for you lol :D
  • Zoetoes
    Options
    That answers my question!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure