PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Meal suggestions for veggie box contents please!

Options
My veggie box has just arrived and I'm having trouble thinking about what I can make with the contents!! (I tend to favour one pot stuff like casseroles, stews, or shepherds pies, lasagnes etc. I also tend to batch cook / freeze)...

The contents are:

1 Squash
Mushrooms
Shallots
Swiss Chard (again!)
Green Cabbage
Brussell Sprouts
Potatoes
Carrots

This lot needs to last me two weeks....

I know you are all really clever at this kind of thing and help would be greatly appreciated! :T

Thanks.

Comments

• LydiaSophia
    Options
    Swiss chard is lovely when you stir fry it with either garlic or ginger. Just for a few minutes so it is still crunchy - goes very nicely with fish.
    Lydia

:T :beer:
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    I roasted some squash with dried sage last night and served with chicken legs, it was delicious.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    with the mushrooms & shallots Id do risotto which also freezes OK too ( and gives you an excuse to open a bottle of chilled white wine :beer:)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • meerkatgirl
    Options
    How about mushroom stroganoff? And the chard might make a nice gratin or frittata.
  • autumn-red
    Options
    Hi, when I got my veggie box delevered i made the loveliest soup ever...just put the harder veg in a large pan with a couple of tbsp of oil, make sure they are chopped quite small and make sure you have an onion or leek in there. cook really slow with the lid on stiring occasionally until all begins to soften (20 mins) add the cabbage/chard/mushrooms, cook another 5 mins then pour over some vegetable or chicken stock...just enough to cover the veg or and let simmer gently for about an hour...season and either blend or have it chunky.

Yummy! The squash I had in this was delish... I had an onion squash in my box...like a small pumpkin but more reddish orange and onioney shaped. It is lovely baked with olive oit and black pepper unyil it goes all caramalised.

Hope this helps!

Red
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    sprouts are really nice if you part cook them in the microwave in a spot of water then fry them with some bacon lardons and onions, season and serve with a roast.
  • goonlord
    goonlord Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks - all of these sound yummy. For one meal I think I'm going to do a warm pasta salad with roasted squash, and sprouts, chard and cabbage etc. lightly fried in a little olive oil. All tossed in a few seeds and some bits of cheese. Mmmm...can't wait!!
  • Biddyrolo
    Biddyrolo Posts: 802 Forumite
    Options
    You could make a spicy squash soup or use it in a risotto or pasta sauce with cream. Very versatile.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure