PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Veggie burgers

Hi All

This is off the "Oats" thread - thought it better not to hijack it!

My recipe for Nut Burgers:

About 4 oz nuts - peanuts, or brazils, or whatever you have handy. Roast cashews are nice, but then don't add any salt.
About 3 oz oats - small variety
One carrot finely grated
two slices of red onion finely chopped
half a teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of soy sauce, or put in salt if you don't have any
One egg

If you grind up the nuts - I like to leave them quite big as it makes the burgers crunchy. Then mix everything up together (all the dry ingredients and onion and carrot). Lastly mix in the egg and then shape the burgers into burger shapes. Fry in a drop of olive oil for about 10 - 15 minutes - don't have them on too high though as they burn. I cover them with a saucepan lid and my frying pan has teflon lining.

They are really delicious with homemade tomato ketchup. Again, if you want the recipe for the very cheapo ketchup - let me know.

Comments

• pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yum they sound delish, will give them a go thanks x
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    They sound really nice, I might give them a shot!

How many burgers will that recipe make?
  • Thanks for this recipe. I bought a huge tub of monkey nuts (peanuts in shells - in case the former is a term only used in Scotland) reduced in Sainsbury from £3 to 75p and I've just been sitting nibbling my way through them. This recipe will now make it look as though I bought them with a purpose in mind! Would love to have your ketchup recipe.
  • Sorry I haven't been on the web since yesterday: The recipe makes about 8 fat burgers, but if you made thinner ones it would go further.

Ketchup

1 large onion
    1 carrot grated
    2 tins of toms
    2 cloves (I mean cloves - not garlic)
    tspn mixed herbs
    large tspn brown sugar
    1/2 tspn salt
    1/4 tspn cinnamon
    2 fl oz balsamic vinegar
    tomato puree - probably about 1/2 tube or even more
    1 tspn chilli sauce (leave it out if you don't like it)
    1/2 tspn cumin
    shake of celery salt

Fry the onion and carrot in olive oil, then add all the other ingredients and cook for about an hour on really low. Whizz up with a stick blender and cook a bit longer (about 15 mins).

Hope you enjoy it with your nut burgers. I love making my own recipes up and it is nice if other people can make them too.
  • honey
    honey Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for that undercoat, I can't wait to try them! :)
  • JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Hi
    can anyone give me a recipe for homemade veggie burgers ? I had a quick search but couldnt find a recipe on here, but apologies if I just didnt spot it.
    Thanks in advance
    Jill
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

• Hi Jill,
    Just found this:
    http://www.recipezaar.com/104977

I make something similar. Dont have an exact recipe though as I just make it up as i go along. :p I mash up a tin of kidney beans or chick peas and then fry a few onions, some red pepper , grated carrot, add herbs, salt & pepper, mix with beans and then grill on medium heat or you could fry them. You can also add tin tomatoes to make it wetter or breadcrumbs to make it drier. I make a batch & then freeze some.

I also make batches of falafels. Recipe here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/falafelburgerwithhou_72037.shtml
    They are really yummy and you can serve them with salad in a pitta!

Hope that helps.
    MM. x
    "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again."

Stephen Grellet, (1773-1855).
  • huxley
    huxley Posts: 296 Forumite
    Hi, this is a receipe I have used several times,
    420g of chick peas (drain rinse)
    120g halzenu ts chopped, 1 chopped onion, 2 grated carrots, 2 15mil spoons sun dried tomato paste, 1 large beaten egg,black pepper, parsley. Dried breadcrubs for coating
    Bung it all together (mash the chickpeas first) divide and shape chill for an hour grilll for 3-4 mins each side.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've got burger making down to a bit of a fine art. It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare them and I make enough to do at least a couple of meals usually.

Here's Troll's recipe.

And here's a mushroom one.

This is what I do most often.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Thanks all

Gingham Ribbon I knew you;d come up with the goods ! I looked at your meal planners (admitedly briefly) and couldn't find what I was looking for, but will check these out, cheers :beer:
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business