PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Microwave Porridge - How please?

Hi all

Just wondered if someone can tell me the formula for making porridge in the microwave? I tried it once and it went all over the microwave taking ages to clean up.

I am using loose oats. How much in proportions and for how long in microwave please? Also should it be on full power?

Many thanks
Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

Comments

• twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    for myself i use a glass bowl and have 2dsps of porage oats and about 1/2 mug of water, three mins on full power thats on a 700w micro, you might like more so adjust accordingly, i add a shake of salt after cooking
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    I buy Tesco value oats. I put half a cup of oats in and what would be a full cup of milk, (i don't measure it now, just pour) and then microwave it for three minutes. I've got a 850 watt microwave. Then I add maple syrup, but you could add what ever.

The secret is a big bowl - much bigger than you would normally use. I use a stew bowl. This stops the porridge escaping everywhere.:D
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    cheapie oats,big bowl and about a ratio of three to oneish (water to oats) but its all approx and done by eye. Dont need to obsess! I like mine not too solid!
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    henhog wrote:
    I buy Tesco value oats. I put half a cup of oats in and what would be a full cup of milk, (i don't measure it now, just pour) and then microwave it for three minutes. I've got a 850 watt microwave. Then I add maple syrup, but you could add what ever.

The secret is a big bowl - much bigger than you would normally use. I use a stew bowl. This stops the porridge escaping everywhere.:D

I suspected the bowl size might have been to blame! Well I made it this morning with a measure of oats, two measures of water and cooked approx 4 mins.

Small dash cream and golden syrup and it was v. nice. I hate washing up the saucepans. I bowl seems much easier.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I put in half a bowl of oats, milk to moisten, microwave for 1 minute in an 850 watt microwave. Do for 1 min 30 secs if more moist.

I like mine dry, so add more milk if you like it more moist but watch for overflowing.

I add single cream and maple syrup after.

I also hate washing out saucepans

Yummy:)
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • gigif30
    gigif30 Posts: 174 Forumite
    i would usualy set the microwave to power level 7 where 10 is the highest for 7 mins works for me
  • We have raisins or sultanas in our porridge, it's lovely.
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    We have raisins or sultanas in our porridge, it's lovely.

I sprinkle golden linseed on mine :D
    4 May 2010 <3
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Try making it with apple juice instead of milk - yummy!
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • I make porridge in the microwave every morning. I use about a handful of value porridge oats and cover it with water to just a bit above the oats. I give it 2mins on full power in a 850watt oven. I then add sugar to taste. Try it without milk - you may like it.
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport