Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Former_MSE_Alana
Former_MSE_Alana Posts: 252 Forumite

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the new updated
To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
Please note if you want to discuss 'the rights and wrongs of reclaiming charges' this isn't the place - this is a practical thread instead do it here
If you have a success or failure story you would like to share please do so on this thread.

Comments

• natweststaffmember
    natweststaffmember Posts: 12,063 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2010 at 8:52PM
    I am a picky git so apologies in advance but still reading the thread. The first 2 inspirational stories are financial hardship claims which, regardless of the Supreme Court decision has always been on the table......

Am editing this as I go......will the guide be reviewed once court cases have gone through using newer arguments?

Financial hardship section 137 does put the onus on the customer as well so they should be contacting their priority creditors as well.

Packaged Account Fees.....these can be reclaimed in certain circumstances but have to be done separate to bank charges.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    I am a picky git so apologies in advance but still reading the thread. The first 2 inspirational stories are financial hardship claims which, regardless of the Supreme Court decision has always been on the table......

Am editing this as I go......will the guide be reviewed once court cases have gone through using newer arguments?

Financial hardship section 137 does put the onus on the customer as well so they should be contacting their priority creditors as well.

Packaged Account Fees.....these can be reclaimed in certain circumstances but have to be done separate to bank charges.

Im confused about your question on the inspirational stories - as this is primarily a guide about reclaiming if you're in hardship and going to the ombudsman. We intend to publish the court guide soon - though as we will make MASSIVE in that - we have no successes yet - its new and untried.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    The guide is a great step forwards, well done MSE team :)
    LegalBeagles
  • esmerellda wrote: »
    The guide is a great step forwards, well done MSE team :)

I agree with you, Esmerellda. The guide brings a bit of hope to people. I know that we might not be sucessful, but it's most definitely a step in the right direction. Anything is worth a try!
  • Am editing this as I go......will the guide be reviewed once court cases have gone through using newer arguments?

This is what we say in the guide Natweststaffmember, so yep, it will be reviewed, as are all our guides ;)

"This is a new version of the guide, please help by feeding back, suggesting any changes, or ask questions on areas we may’ve missed, in the bank charges feedback discussion."

Packaged account reclaiming is a bit different i think. It's different letters etc., but of course anyone who feels they have been missold one should complain to their bank (and then the Ombudsman if it isn't resolved).
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
  • I called my bank last year to speak about the insurance payment i was paying for my credit card, which was £22 a month which i do not recall been discussed when i had the card about 5 years ago, they have sent me a letter signed by me accepting this, could i still claim?
  • Excellent progress. Will the second part of the guide also cover cases where a defendant of a claim from a bank is claiming back charges as part of their defence? The case was stayed pending the Supreme Court case.
  • What to write on the complaint form

Honestly state what’s happened to you; the Ombudsman has specifically said it’s not interested in template letter type applications. It wants to hear the affect of bank charges on you from a human perspective – so make it as personal and specific as you can (though it needn’t be over emotional – stick to the facts and the impact).
    You can also ask for interest to be added to your claim as if you were going to court. After all (if you don’t ask, you don’t get).
    To help we’ve written a guide in Word so you can easily cut and paste sections of it and/or print it out and have it next to you as you're filling in the FOS form.

can anyone help, cant find a link for this guide!? (red text)

Thanks
  • justinjp
    justinjp Posts: 23 Forumite
    Thanks Martin. Just in time too. AS I just got charged £75 because their monthly £8 interest charge took me over. Just what I needed.. 950% charge is just soul destroying.
  • bigmacman
    bigmacman Posts: 371 Forumite
    i may sound dumb hear but i wanna claim my bank charges back under financial hardship.
    ive lost my job in past month
    getting charges every month
    cant keep up with my bills

who do i contact 1st
    the bank
    or
    ombudsman??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income