PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Microwave cakes?

Options
Does anyone have recipes for cakes and similar you can make in the microwave? (I don't have a proper oven, only a microwave).

I've got one for syrup sponge that works well but want some for "proper cakes", anything like scones, breads, "traybakes" would be good too. (Pretty much any bakery things you would do in an oven but can be done in a microwave).

Had a look on google but they all seemed to be "take a packet of cake mix.." which isn't really what I want.

thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    I've found THIS one.

It is for a pinapple and honey cake but you could just leave the pinapple off :-/
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    There is also a recipe for fridge cake Here (5th one down, posted by Judi) You don't need an oven for that either ;D
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
  • wisdom_2
    Options
    I have found this site. it has a section on microwave desserts http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/113/0.shtml

There are recipes for chocolate brownies, peanut butter brownies, chocolate cake, banana cake, fudge and peanut brittle all done in a microwave.

I’ve not tried any of them though, so I don’t know if they are any good.
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    wow, looks great! thanks!
  • sparkle_monkey
    Options
    Hi, I don't have an oven right now and have a huge craving for cookies or cake or anything sweet. Do you have any good recipes for the microwave?
    Can you make crumble in a micro? :grinheart thanks!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I don't have an oven right now and have a huge craving for cookies or cake or anything sweet. Do you have any good recipes for the microwave?
    Can you make crumble in a micro? :grinheart thanks!
    Hiya :)

We have an older thread asking the same question and now, as you can see, I have added your post to it. The earliest posts are listed first so you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up.

There's a Chocolate and Beetroot cake in the Cooking section of the MEGA Index that I have made before. I didn't have an oven at the time so nuked it in the mixing bowl for 8:30 on high. You might want to skewer test it from eight minutes.

There are microwave sponge puds and suet puds listed in our main Old Style Recipe Collection.

You can find these via my signature any time you see it or...

..you can use the Indexed Collections link in the Blue Bar at the top of every page which looks something like this:-

pagetop.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • sparkle_monkey
    Options
    Thanks squeaky - I should've checked the old threads!
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    My mum used to make microwave cakes if she was in a hurry - have just spoken to her and she said she can't remember but thinks ingredients/quantities were pretty much the same as an oven baked cake, and a victoria sponge mix should take about 3-4 mins, then you just slice it in half! I remember the very eggy smell whilst they cooked in the microwave, but am going to try later myself!

Mum also used to have a recipe for choux buns cooked in the microwave, she has promised to try and find it - I can't stand them, but children love them - but if anyone has one please let me know!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • NickiM
    NickiM Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I had an exam today which went really badly and at home what I'd do is bake to destress. Only problem is, here at uni, I am catered and hence only have a microwave!

I can walk to the shops and have bowls/scales/cutlery etc, so can anyone provide a cake recipe I could make in the microwave?
    Thanks,
    Nicki
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family