Las Vegas thread and MSE guide 2009 part 2

Options

Comments

• ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    October , November
    mattarmy wrote: »
    Now I want to go back the the States again but maybe somewhere else - is there anywhere that comes even close to the entertainment and shows on offer at Vegas?

New York would probably be the closest in that respect. Part of our problem is we've gotten so used to going to Vegas, nowhere else really compares - so rather than being disappointed going somewhere else, we just go to Vegas again. :)
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 September 2009 at 6:38AM
    Options
    September
    Lolly88 wrote: »
    I'm going to vegas from the 21st - 28th decemeber. I'm really excited as i'll be celebrating my 21st birthday there and it's my first time abroad. I'm planning on staying in the MGM grand though I haven't booked it yet.

I've seen on offer on facebook where you get $25 activity credit and 2 free entries to a club and pool and discount on the room so that the total room price for 7 nights works out at $490. This seems like a good offer but I don't want to be too hasty are there any better offers for MGM Grand?

Also what website do you book shows from?
    Hi Lolly, and welcome aboard. Don't know why they would have an offer for the pool, it's free anyway, not that you would be using it in late December. The club would be free before a certain time as well, if it is Studio 54, and your room key would get you queue jump, so you are left with $25 credit, wow!! Check the terms of the offer, if it says that it is concealable and you don't have to pay the whole fee upfront (some offers only ask for 1st. night payment as deposit) book it to hold, then look around for better offers nearer the time you are going. I find about 8 weeks out the better offers come rolling in, and you are going at the cheapest, quietest time. Also the first post on this thread done by the fabulous tretts is a world of information on shows etc.
    P.S. I hope yor birthday is towards the bigining of the holiday because you willl get no where near a club or a drink in the states without proving your age. I was even I.D.'ed at 30
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    October , November
    I'm going to vegas from the 21st - 28th decemeber. I'm really excited as i'll be celebrating my 21st birthday there and it's my first time abroad. I'm planning on staying in the MGM grand though I haven't booked it yet.

I've seen on offer on facebook where you get $25 activity credit and 2 free entries to a club and pool and discount on the room so that the total room price for 7 nights works out at $490. This seems like a good offer but I don't want to be too hasty are there any better offers for MGM Grand?

Also what website do you book shows from?

I am very jealous - my birthday falls within your dates (although it's a long time since 21) and I've always wanted to go to Vegas for it. :) As stoneman says you're going the quietest time of the year so good deals should be plentiful, but if the offer is cancellable booking a back-up can't hurt.

As for shows, normally using the show's own website is best -most 3rd parties charge more than if you book direct. If you check https://www.smartervegas.com and https://www.travelzoo.com they compile offers to various shows. Some shows you can book once you're there. But I think a lot of shows tend to be dark over Christmas so may be worth checking now so you're not disappointed.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 8 September 2009 at 8:22AM
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    Just a reminder if anyone has to park their car at Heathrow. I use this guy, he is at parkatmyhouse.co.uk. I have used him 4 times now, meet and greet at the airport, 9 days car parking £30!!! 94 positive reviews is good enough for me. Tell him Andy and Tracy with the Chrysler 300C sent you, he will probably give you a few quid off. Using him next week.

Hi, thought I'd check out your recommendation but this link appears to take me to ebay :confused: - 10 ink cartridges 1000 clubcard points £40.00 in deals:confused: - at first I thought maybe it was the same person, but this one lives in Barrow-in-Furness - long 'meet and greet' to Heathrow from there!:D
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Hi, you don't say who you're travelling with, and you may already know this, but just in case you're going with friends around your own age, most LV hotels don't allow anyone under 21 in a room without someone over 21.

A friend of mine had this problem when she and her husband went with their two teenage sons (16 & 18).
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • adrienne1945
    adrienne1945 Posts: 331 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2009 at 9:07AM
    Options
    October , November
    Took two teenage grandkids in 2006 and they had their own room in the Luxor. Lolly try MGM030 for same price but seems to offer more
    2 for 1 Crazy Horse tickets
    2 for 1 All Day Buffet
    2 for 1 Cocktails at all 4 Bars
    2 for 1 Admission to Studio 54 & Tabu Nightclubs
    I get some great ideas here http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/travel-discussion/704925/?start=0
  • stoneman
    Options
    September
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    New York would probably be the closest in that respect. Part of our problem is we've gotten so used to going to Vegas, nowhere else really compares - so rather than being disappointed going somewhere else, we just go to Vegas again. :)
    We are like that as well, but taking the plunge this winter and instead of Vegas we are going to Miami and Clearwater Beach, much WARMER!!!
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • stoneman
    edited 8 September 2009 at 9:52AM
    Options
    September
    Hi, thought I'd check out your recommendation but this link appears to take me to ebay :confused: - 10 ink cartridges 1000 clubcard points £40.00 in deals:confused: - at first I thought maybe it was the same person, but this one lives in Barrow-in-Furness - long 'meet and greet' to Heathrow from there!:D
    Sorry, fixed now, I was looking at clubcard points to bolster my BA executive club miles:o:o:o
  • underlay_guru
    Options
    karie wrote: »
    hi mrshedgehog, was the luxor really so bad? :(

we are staying there for 3 nights during our trip and i am really looking forward to it (the novelty of the pyramid!) - now i am worried!

Hi,

We have just came back from LV and did a full walk from Stratosphere down to Mandalay Bay, and then got the deuce bus back to the Flamingo where we were staying. Just be aware that the Luxor is almost at the end of the strip, and a good 15-20 minute walk from the action at Bellagio and Paris. I would recommend the 'Deuce' bus, which runs from Mandalay Bay to Freemont every 5 minutes. A 24 hour pass is only $7.

My favourite restaurant? MON AMI GABI at Paris has most definitely the bestest food, value and service on the strip!
    Profit=sanity
    Turnover=vanity
    Greed=inhumanity:dance:
  • Zazie
    Zazie Posts: 335 Forumite
    Options
    April
    mattarmy wrote: »

Now I want to go back the the States again but maybe somewhere else - is there anywhere that comes even close to the entertainment and shows on offer at Vegas?

If it's for the shows, I've heard Branson is good (see explorebranson dot com). Never been to Branson or LV (yet!!) but imagine LV has to be glitzier.
    For all-round entertainment, I like Orlando - always something going on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure