PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pineapple Jam recipe anyone?

Lady at work asked me to search my mega collection of cookery books for pineapple jam - got 100's of jam recipes but not for pineapple - can anyone help please?
People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali

Comments

• samnmalc
    samnmalc Posts: 448 Forumite
    I don't think you can use pineapple for jam because there is something in the pineapple that stops the jam from setting. Same for jelly too..:confused:
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Pineapple jam found this though havnt tried it myself 6 cups pineapple pieces chopped, 3 cups sugar, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup sliced lemon. Add all to a large pan, stir while bringing to the boil, boil 1/2 hr till thickens, remove scum with a ladle then pour into jars and seal.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Aha!!!

The lemon contains the pectin you need to set the jam!

Lemon is a great pectin standby ... you need the whole thing... juice, pips, pith, skin. They should "melt" so that you don't notice them in the final jam, but if you're concerned, put the lemon in a muslin bag and then squeeze the bag so all the cloudy stuff runs out - that's the pectin :D
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • I've got a similar one - 1lb sugar to each 1lb prepared pineapple, grated rind and juice of 1 lemon to every 1lb fruit. dissolve sugar with fruit, add lemon rind, boil until fruit is transparent,add lemon juice. I've also got one for Grapefruit and pineapple marmalade: 2lb grapefruit (thinly sliced), 2lb pineapple (peeled and shredded), 2lb lemon (thinly sliced), 6 pints water, 1lb sugar to each pint juice. - cover fruit with water, leave overnight. boil until tender (about 3 hours). Measure the juice and add sugar in proportion - dissolve sugar gently then boil for about 30 mins. Again the lemon and the grapefruit will contain pectin.
    You can also buy pectin in bottles (but that's not very OS!), and then you'd just use the usual 1lb sugar to 1lb fruit.
    Hope they work - I've not made either of these myself
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport