The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fly killer, any tips?

I totally forgot to buy fly spray in town and now I need a sloution to my fly problems. I was wondering if anyone has any money saving tips that could save me a trip out again? I have lots of ingredients and cleaning products if that helps?

The flys are due to out wheely bin only being collected every two weeks, I like the recycling drive but I can't say I love the flys in the kitchen. Help!!

Comments

• culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    I cover the top of the wheelie bin in plastic and secure it with elastic,then when you put something in just take it off and put it on again.The flies wont be able to get in or out of the bin then.You could use a big bin bag and tie it on just for now though.
  • Try not to put anything in the bin which will encourage them too much. If you double wrap and tie any old meatscraps etc then they cant get to them and they also dont smell so bad. If you can recycle all tins(washed)bottles,papers etc then this also helps solve the fly problem. Try to keep veg waste for the garden. Its good for composting and saves space in your bin. I used to have a wheely in my last house and always kept my rubbish tied in black bags inside of it-i couldnt have put up with the smell if id just chucked it all in loose! well worth an extra 50p a week i think.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    In winter, I keep my wheelie bins near the back door, for cold dashes in and out. In summer, when the flies are around I move them to the side garden, it takes a little longer to put the rubbish out, but the flies don't bother us in the house.

Would this be an option for you purplegirl?
  • I do already double wrap everything and still we get fliys? I don't know why really, I now think that the flys might be coming from someone elses bin perhaps. We don't put that much meat in the bin, i'm veggie and the cat gets the left overs from everyone else. I am going to get some of those fly stickers and put them in the lid of the bin and see if that helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure