Making chocolates or sweets

Comments

• Kazipoo
    Kazipoo Posts: 806 Forumite
    Right, sorry it took so long to get back to you all, its been a bit hectic today...

Anyway, the turkish delight didn't seem like it was setting, when in fact it has, it is very very sticky and fairly chewy, unsure as to whether it was an issue with the way I cooked it. The hubby said it is so close its unbelieveable (I can't stand the stuff meself lol). So tonight I will cut it up (with scissors lol) and coat it in icing sugar, in the hope that this somehow helps it to seem more like proper turkish. I don't have any suggestions about the chewyness of it though, since I am not a professional I wouldn't have the foggiest about what I did wrong.

Here's the recipe....

25g gelatine (I used 2 x sachets = 28g)
    255ml water
    4 tsp rose water (I suggest nipping down to the local Indian supermarket and getting rose oil instead, the flavour of the rose water isn't quite right apparently - and someone else on the good food website suggest you should use 3 drops of rose oil and one tsp rose water.... definitely worth a try)
    450g caster sugar
    3 - 4 drops red food colouring
    3 tbspn icing sugar
    1 tsp cornflour

Oh yeah, and lightly oil a baking tin to set it in.

Mix the gelatine, water and rose water in a large heavy-based pan and add the sugar.
    Heat gently until the sugar and gelatine have dissolved, stirring continuously.
    Bring to the boil, without stirring.
    Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 mins
    Remove from heat and add food colouring.
    Leave to cool for a few minutes.
    Pour the mixture into the oiled tin and leave to set for 24 hours.
    Mix the cornflour with the icing sugar and toss the turkish delight in the mixture.
    Store in airtight container, between layers of greaseproof paper.

Things to note:

The mixture became very frothy once it started to simmer. Keep a watchful eye on the pan, because once it has started a slow boil, it doesn't take long to heat up and the mixture rises in the pan.
    The heat for simmering needs to be very low, and the heat of the mixture seems to fluctuate frequently.... I found myself having to remove the pan from the heat from time to time.... could be why it turned out chewy actually..... perhaps it boiled rather than simmered???

Anyway, anyone who is willing to try it, have fun, and hopefully yours will be perfect!!
    Starting weight 17st 4lb - weight now 15st 2lbs

30lb lost of 30lb by June 2012 :j:j:j (80lb overall goal)

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    :(:( I am over 20 miles from the nearest Indian supermarket !!!
    This has broken my heart !
  • Kazipoo
    mardatha wrote: »
    :(:( I am over 20 miles from the nearest Indian supermarket !!!
    This has broken my heart !
    Awwww.... I do believe that health food shops and some pharmacies sell the stuff too!!:T

• mardatha
    I will look online.. If I can bear to go on !
    sob!
  • NBirdy
    NBirdy Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    I'm planning to make rose and violet creams for my dad this year, and have found rose essence - might be what you're looking for? It's a flavouring like vanilla/lemon essence so much stronger than rosewater. You can buy a small bottle from eBay for less than £2.50.
  • I've been on a mamouth making session over the weekend. Have made Peanut Brittle, Cinder Toffee (or honeycomb as its also known) and Coconut Ice. Have bought felt sacks from poundland and cut circles out of them to cover the jar lids and then tied them with ribbon. I've then decorated the covered lids with glittery holly leaves and berrys.

Going to have a go at making some choccie covered cinder toffee later in the week. Now I've read the turkish delight recipe will be having a go at that as well as I lurve turkish delight.
  • mardatha
    Whoohoo birdy thanks!
  • Kazipoo
    I've been on a mamouth making session over the weekend. Have made Peanut Brittle, Cinder Toffee (or honeycomb as its also known) and Coconut Ice. Have bought felt sacks from poundland and cut circles out of them to cover the jar lids and then tied them with ribbon. I've then decorated the covered lids with glittery holly leaves and berrys.

Going to have a go at making some choccie covered cinder toffee later in the week. Now I've read the turkish delight recipe will be having a go at that as well as I lurve turkish delight.

Oooh I'm making peanut brittle and fudge this week sometime, but I wouldn't mind your recipe for cinder toffee.... I've never made it and we all love it :D

• jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    does anyone have a recipe for the peanut brittle? :D

I'm hoping to make the truffles today so hopefully i can do both at the same time!
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)
  • Kazipoo
    edited 15 December 2009 at 5:29PM
    jetty wrote: »
    does anyone have a recipe for the peanut brittle? :D

I'm hoping to make the truffles today so hopefully i can do both at the same time!

The baileys truffles are delish and I got the recipe for the peanut brittle from on here, although I haven't made it myself just yet:

Peanut Brittle Recipe
    · 200g sugar
    · 60ml water
    · 150g golden syrup
    · 150g salted peanuts
    · 25g soft butter
    · 1 ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    · 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Place the sugar, water and syrup in a pan and boil gently.
    2. Turn up the heat and boil for a further 10 minutes, making sure it doesn’t burn.
    3. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
    4. Pour onto a sheet and allow to cool.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure