Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • Softstuff
    By special request of GQ, here are a couple of biccie recipes for Christmas (I didn't dare refuse her, I can imagine how she is when she's short of sugar and it takes a braver person than me to stand in her way lol!)

Fruit Mincemeat Drops

100g melted butter
    1/2 cup raw sugar (or ordinary granulated)
    3/4 cup self raising flour
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Mix these well, until it forms a dough. Roll ping pong ball sized pieces, then smush them down on the baking tray with your finger to make an indent. Fill the little indent with a teaspoon of fruit mincemeat. Bake for 15 minutes at 180.

You can of course fill the indent with jam, or lemon curd, or honey. Or you can switch the vanilla essence for almond essence and pop a ball of marzipan in the indent. Your options are as unlimited as my weight gain will be if I keep baking like this....

These are ridiculously fast and easy, freeze well and keep for up to a week.

Spiced Christmas Cookies

1 cup plain flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
    75g butter
    1/4 cup honey

Cream the butter, sugar and honey. Add the flour and spices, mix well. Chill for 30 mins (or freeze if you want some ready to bake dough), roll out, cut, bake for 10 mins at 180.

Hope that helps someone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

124Posts Today

2,374Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Follow Martin