Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • mumzyof2
    Easy Syrup Sponge Pudding Recipe

Easy to make recipe for delicious syrup sponge pudding with list of ingredients for the pudding and the topping sauce and step by step instructions:

Ingredients for Syrup Sponge

120g butter
    120g caster sugar
    120g self raising flour
    2 beaten eggs
    2 tablespoons of golden syrup

Ingredients for Syrup Sponge Sauce

1 tablespoon of cornflour
    2 tablespoons of golden syrup
    The juice of half a lemon

How to Make Syrup Sponge Pudding

To make the sponge mixture cream the butter and the sugar until they become light and fluffy.

Sift the flour and add it to the butter and sugar mix. Slowly add the beaten eggs and beat this mixture well.

Butter a pudding basin that will comfortably fit 1.1 litres (2 pints). Pour the golden syrup into the bottom of this basin. Now top it up with the sponge mixture.

Cover securely with a layer of greaseproof paper and then kitchen foil.

Steam for about two hours in a pan of water which needs to be topped up now and again due to evaporation. Ensure none of the water gets into the sponge pudding. When ready to serve remove the wrappings and turn over the basin over a plate. The syrup sponge should be well formed and should simply slide out of the basin and onto the serving plate.

How to Make the Topping for Syrup Sponge

Mix the cornflour with a small amount of water. Add this to a pan with the golden syrup and the lemon juice. Heat until the ingredients thicken. Serve the sauce with the puddin

I did not make the topping as i just added more syrup to the actually bottom of the cake , i also had no caster sugar in so i used normal sugar.
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far 27.67, Live off 4k Spent 330.20 GC 1,200 for 2009 Spent 50.78 PaD so far 650.07
    Debts: L/woods 154.00 C/One PAID O/D 649.90 Next 299.95 O/D PAID Gas 72.60 Electric 155.73 Mum 640.00 Orange 490.32
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,763Posts Today

7,421Users online

Martin's Twitter