Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • bubblesmoney
    i would like to nominate this thread by Locoblade about a new mortgage calculator that he has designed and made available for others http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1157173

anyone who has a mortgage or thinking of applying for a mortgage would find this calculator useful for comparing different mortgages and also for comparing if offset mortgages with different (higher) interest rates are cheaper in the long run than other types of mortgages with lower / fixed interest rates in your individual circumstances regarding savings in ISAs etc if they are used for offsetting against mortgage.

this calculator would hopeful enable many of us with mortgages to save quite a bit of money in the long run. i do hope locobalde wins the award for this month for this reason.

This was done using a heavily modified version of the Microsoft Amortization Schedule spreadsheet that Ive re-written to allow several things that most of the existing online/spreadsheet calculators didn't seem to be able to do, such as:
    • Interest only / capital repayment mortgages with option to part pay
    • Offset mortgages, including average offset current account balance
    • Calculation when offset pot could pay off the mortgage remainder.
    • Monthly and one off overpayments / offset payments
    • Change of rates after introductory period expires
    • Ad-hoc rate changes for variable/tracker mortgages]
    • Additional borrowing at any time
    • A few pretty graphs
    • Edit: v1.2 allows you to compare two different mortgage products to see which is cheapest for you.
    • Edit: v1.3 adds in early redemption charges and exit fees.
    Ive finally (I think!) got it to a "finished" condition ...........................
    Here's the link to download it: http://www.locostfireblade.co.uk/Dow...tor%20v1.3.xls (this is the latest version)

It was written in Excel 2007 but has been saved so it's compatible with earlier versions, and there's no macros in it. The spreadsheet will only work with Excel 2002 or newer though, and may not work with Works or OpenOffice
    by Locoblade
    Last edited by bubblesmoney; 25-09-2008 at 10:28 PM.
    bubblesmoney
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

946Posts Today

7,318Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Morning. I'm on way to @thismorning to talk a subject I've been planning a while - financial abuse (a form of domes? https://t.co/HVIOhjZOf2

• RT @steve_ej: @MartinSLewis I like all of the comments about privacy, and I bet most people concerned about privacy also have a smartphone.?

• Today's Twitter Poll: Do you have a Smart speaker, and if so what brand?

• Follow Martin