PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Options

Comments

• nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Serves 4
    1-1.5 hours cooking time + prep

225g Mince meat
    1 large onion
    Carrots
    1 can tomato soup
    398g potatoes
    1 can mushroom soup

1) Brown and season the mince meat. When done, pour both soups and about half a can of water.
    2) In a casserole dish, slice potatoes for the bottom layer. Add a layer of carrots. Add a layer of onions.
    3) Pour mince-soup mixture over the vegetables and bake for 1-1.5 hours at 350 degrees.

I've also made this with actual hamburgers broken up and sausage.

The meat/veg mixture will freeze easily.
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ingredients:

Mushrooms

Chicken (breast or portions)

Curry spice mix (one tbsp per serving plus one for the pot)

Cream, wine, milk, yoghurt (any comination of any number)

Cornflour

Rice

Instructions:

Start some water to boil for the rice

Chop the mushroom and place it in a moderate heat with a drop or two of oil of your choice.

Quickly cut the chicken (meat only) into small slivers and add to the mushroom.

Simmer gently (may need to add more oil to coat everything) stirring occasionally to make sure allt he pink bits of the chicken turn white...

..meanwhile put cream and/or white wine and/or yoghurt and some cornflour into a whizzer and whizz it.

When the chicken bits are all white ie sealed (and if they're small they're pretty much cooked already) add at least two tablespoons of any form of ready mixed curry spices (my favourites are Thai and bombay) and stir well.

When the water for the rice is boiling add the rice.

Add the cream mix to the chicken, bring the heat up to boil and then down again to gently simmer.

By the time the rice is done - so is the chicken :)

You can MAKE this faster than the recipe takes to read :)

An additional tip from filigree
    I use coconut cream, Pataks sell it in boxes of four X 50g sachets. You dilute the sachet with 150ml hot water and use it as the basis of the curry sauce. I used it the other day and threw in half a chicken Oxo and two teaspoons of curry powder - it was rather mild but littlun whinges if I put chilli in it! I think coconut is probably more expensive than yogurt but still cheaper than ready made sauces so I don't mind paying for it. The individual sachets have the advantage of being long life so you only use what you need and they keep in the cupboard for ages.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    500g mince
    1 small onion - diced
    1 small carrot - grated
    1 tab Worchester sauce
    3 tabs tomato sauce
    salt & pepper
    Flour to coat
    1 can tomato soup

Mix all ingredients except for the flour & soup.
    Form patties & coat with flour
    Place in a backing dish and pour soup over the patties.
    Bake for 1 Hour at 200c.

Really simple but yummy.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pork sausages
    bacon and cheese
    Sauce: 1/2 cup tomato sauce
    dash worchester sauce
    1/2 teas curry powder
    1/2 cup water

I par boil sausages and take skin off them. Split each sausage in half lengthways but don't completely cut. Place cut up strips of bacon and cheese in the slit. Place in casserole dish & pour on sauce. Bake in mod oven 30 mins.

This is usually for 500g sausages but if you have more just increase the sauce ingredients.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Tuna Bake

Ingredients

Tin of tuna
    Tin of condensed soup (mushroom or chicken)
    Packet of ready salted or unsalted crisps - crushed
    grated cheddar cheese
    breadcrumbs
    Mixed herbs
    Black pepper

Place drained tuna in pyrex (or similar) dish
    Pour over the condensed soup as the next layer.
    Mix together breadcrumbs, grated cheese and crushed crisps, add a few mixed herbs and black pepper and then put ontop of condensed soup layer.
    Put in oven for 20 mins or until cheese has melted and topping is crispy.

Easy peasy and cheap.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Scotch Mince
    2 Tbsp oil
    1lb minced beef
    2 onions, chopped
    2 carrots (grated)
    1oz porridge oats
    1 large tin chopped tomatoes
    1/2 - 3/4 pt brown stock or stock cube dissolved in water
    pepper

Heat the oil in a saucepan add the minced beef, onions and carrots and fry until the mince is brown.
    Add the oats, tinned tomatoes and stock. Season to taste, cover with a lid and simmer for 1 hour, stirring from time to time.
    Can be put into a casserole dish and cooking in the oven 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 1 hour.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    This cake is lovely and moist, so if you find normal fruit cake too heavy try this out.

Ingredients:

4oz white caster sugar
    2 oz golden caster sugar plus bit extra
    6oz butter or marge
    3 beaten eggs
    6oz SR flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp ground cinnamon or mixed spice
    6oz raisins or sultanas
    2oz ground almonds
    2 eating apples, peeled cored and grated

Method:

Cream together the butter and sugar with an electric beater or wooden spoon. Carefully stir in the beaten egg. Slowly sift in the flour, spices and baking powder. Fold in the flour with a metal spoon. Stir in the apple, raisins and almonds.

Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin and pour in the mixture, levelling the top. Sprinkle over a couple of spoonfuls of the extra caster sugar.

Bake in a 160 degree fan oven, 180 degree normal oven or Gas Mark 4. Check after an hour, if it's looking a bit too brown put some foil over it. Bake for a further 15 minutes.

Let it cool in the tin then turn onto a rack. This cake is much easier to slice if you let it cool completely first.

Supposedly this will keep for a week in a tin but we always scoff it before then!
  • gemmaj
    gemmaj Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pasta (soup) bake

Sorry if this one has been done before :o

Cook Pasta.
    Add tin of condensed tomato soup (and a little milk or water to slosh the last dregs out the tin!)
    Add cooked meat/ veggie meat - chopped up sausage or little squares from joint etc
    Top with breadcrumbs/cheese - depending on whether on diet!
    Pop in the oven or grill (if grilling heat the tomato soup before hand!) till hot/melted.

It is nicer than it sounds - first time I thought "soup pasta sauce" I thought EUUGGHHH but now it is a regular favourite.

For a change why not do mushroom soup with some veggies instead. I can't, boyf hates mushrooms :(
  • cristin
    cristin Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    To make the cream

Whipping Cream
    4oz (125g) unsalted butter
    3 fl oz (75 ml) milk

Pouring Cream
    4oz (125g) unsalted butter
    4 fl oz (125 ml) milk

Heat the milk until almost boiling. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the milk.
    Pour milk and butter into food processor and process for one minute (pref with double-bladed knife). Chill for 24 hours in the fridge and use as required. The whipping cream can then be whipped in the processor.

I made the first recipe yesterday and it turned out fine. I will definitely be making it in future especially if I need cream in a recipe.

cristin
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Herby Turkey Slices [sv 4]
    4 slices wholemeal bread crusts removed
    1 1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs
    S&P
    4 turkey [or chicken] breasts skinned & sliced horizontally
    can condensed chicken soup
    4oz button mushrooms
    lg ovenproof dish greased
    Preheat oven 220C. Tear bread and scatter over dish's base. Sprinkle over herbs and season. Lay turkey over bread and add more herbs.
    Mix soup with 1/2 pint cold water and pour over turkey. Bake in oven centre until turkey is tender for 25 mins. Saute mushrooms and scatter over top
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure